Page 248 of 436 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250258298348 ... LastLast
Results 7,411 to 7,440 of 13051
Like Tree21Likes
Lexapro Withdrawal
    wmtomlinso is offline New Member

Hi Erin and everyone,

Today I feel good again! For the first time since trying to get off Lexapro two weeks ago, I feel good. I am neither depressed nor anxious today! I am taking 5mg Lexapro daily. I am beginning to think that having no sexual desire whatsoever is not so bad after all! I believe I would rather stay on Lexapro than deal with withdrawals… or maybe taper very, very slooowly.

I also gained about 50 lbs when I started Lexapro. I’ve been using Lexapro and Trazodone concomitantly for years. Never had a problem. I started out with 10mg Lexapro, then added 50mg Trazodone for sleep so I could get off Ambien. After a few months, I built up a tolerance to 50mg Traz and it didn’t make me sleepy. So my Dr. suggested moving up to a higher dose that would make me sleepy. Currently I’ve been taking 100, sometimes 200 mg nightly and sleep like a baby. I feel great in the mornings – well rested and not groggy. When I first started on 50mg Trazodone, I was extremely sleepy and groggy all day. So if anyone is trying it for sleep, hang in there. You will adjust to it soon and you will not be groggy in the mornings.

As for my benzo use, I started taking Xanax and valium to ease the pain of alcohol hangovers (bad mistake). So, as my drinking got worse, I started taking benzo’s all the time. One in the morning, one whenever I felt anxious, one at bedtime. Benzo’s and alcohol make anxiety worse, much worse in the long run. I was running low on Xanax, and I thought I would cut back. The rebound anxiety was unbearable. My chest hurt and my heart pounded. The headaches were terrible. I slipped into depression. I finally had to take barbiturates for about 3 months to wean off of Xanax (under the supervision of my Dr. of course. ) I quit drinking cold turkey over 2 years ago. I am finally benzo and Ambien free and feeling great – I will never take another benzo or addictive drug ever again!

My goal is to take no drugs at all. Hopefully I can kick Lexapro in the coming year. For now I will stay at 5mg. I don’t want to mess with it for awhile!

auntybiotic is offline Senior Member

Default Erinkj

Quote Originally Posted by erinkj View Post
    I have taken almost all of the SSRI's at one time or another over 11 yrs. The med's I was on the longest were: Paxil started at 20 mg and up to 60mg within 3 months of starting. Stayed on 60 mg Paxil for almost a year then tappered down to 20 mg over the next year. Stayed on 20 mg paxil for around 6 yrs. I gained about 10 pounds while on that one but, no other side effects; actualy my migraines decreased in frequency and severity while taking paxil and I stopped passing out with migraines also. So, there was a plus to that. I stopped taking it because I wanted to try Zyban ( name brand wellbutrin) to help me stop smoking. Zyban was NOT my friend....freaky ride. Then tried going back on paxil after being off it for 3 months only to find that it no longer had the same effect, it just did not work anymore. So, I went on Effexor XR for about 3 months, it didn't help much. Then Dr put me on Lexapro 20 mg for 1 to 2 yrs (? dont remember exactly) then I lost my insurance so, I couldnt afford the lex so, I switched to generic celexa (citalopram) 40mg for another 1 or 2 yrs (?). While on 40 mg celexa I battled constant fatigue and low to no sex drive. Dr thought I should try prozac instead...umm...WRONG, that made me crawl the walls, I lasted 1 week then switched back to celexa. A month later Dr had me try zoloft....no good there either. In the mean time I have insurance again so, Dr and I decided to go back to Lexapro as I did'nt think it made me soo tired...Lexapro destroyed my stomache. It did the first time I was on it but, I never made the connection until the second time taking lex. I have had some reflux problems in the past but, never as bad as when I was on lex. Weird thing is that celexa doesnt bother my stomache at all and lex caused 3 new peptic ulcers....yippy. Last October I decided enough was enough, I needed to try getting off these med's alltogether. I saw a psychiatrist and he swore I had restless legs syndrome (what an idiot) he had me stop lex cold turkey and take requip...BIG mistake... I toughed it out for a whole week at his insistence. He had me go back to lex but instead of the 20 mg I had been taking for about a year, he dropped me to 5 mg then gradually increase to 10 mg. ERGH...I shoul NOT have listened to him....I was loosing my mind. I figured since I was on such a low dose I would wean back down off of 10 mgs, which I did over two weeks then went completely off. Yes, I know that was foolish but, you never know until you know. After 4 and a half weeks off I re-instated only I went back to celexa (citalopram) at 20 mg= to 10 mg lex. I am currently on 20 mg celexa ( the psych idiot wants me to go up to 30mg) I have been at this dose for close to 2 months now. I cannot say that I am completely stable on this dose...I do know that I don't feel as well as I did when I was on 40 mg celexa..(If you could call that feeling well) I also take fish oil, multi-vitamin, lecethin and calcium daily. Xanax as needed which has been daily for a couple of months. ( I am well versed on the good, bad and ugly of benzo's) The daily xanax use is primarily what makes me think that I am not quite stabilized on this SSRI dose, because I have never needed to take it every day for more than a few days in a row ( usually during my menstrual cycle) and I have had xanax as needed for 11 yrs, at times my scripts would expire before they could be filled. I do not feel a craving for it or feel dependant on it however, I am taking it every day only when I feel the panicky onset....Unfortunately, I have had that panic everyday for a couple of months. It is all very frustrating...I am determined to get off the SSRI but I know it will take a long time. I know that I should stabelize 100% before begining a very gradual taper. I am so unsure if I should try upping my dose to 30 mg as Dr said to see if that put's me closer to or at 100% or if I should stay at 20 mg. Very mixed feelings about what to do...What do you think? Sorry this was so long. Erin
    Hi,

Just read your post. Well you have really been upsetting the neurotansmitters in your brain with the dosing switches and the abrupt SSRI medicaion dose changes. I think what you are feeling right now is serious withdrawls from stopping the Lexapro/Celexa for 4 1/2 weeks then reinstating the Celexa at only a 50% dose.
    It may take months and months for you to feel "yourself" again as the medication switches, cold turkeying and then a reduction in dose at 50% to the celexa is really a lot for your brain to go thru.

I am not a doctor but in my research, it is my understanding that reistating to the dose that you felt stable, wait about a month (with you it may take two or three months to stabalize because of the drastic chages you have undergone with the SSRI dosing changes) but I do not think that you will fully stabalie until you are on the celexa at the full dose you took when feeling well before all the switching and dose changes. If I am reading correctly, I believe was 40 Mg of Celexa. Thirty would certainly be of more bebefit stabalizing then the 20 you are currently taking but yo may need the 40 Mg to begin to feel stable and not need the critc of xaxax daily.

Once you are stable, then you can begin to taper by NO MORE THEN 2 to 5% of the latest dose. So if you do reinstate to 40 Mg of celexa liquid the n your next reduction once stable would be 38 Mg for a 55 reduction (or less as your body will determine. My daughter can only do less then 2% reductions every 3 weeks and it has taken years to reduce her 20 Mg dose. She does have horrible withdrawls but has been able to maitain a A average in every subject at school. I cannot imagine what would happen if the tapering went faster except to say that she would be in bed most of the day and miserable. For the first week after the even 2% or less taper, she gets back and stomach pain, very short temper and sleeps 14 hours a day. Right now she is having sinus issues because she has tapered overall about 76% of her original dose.

Lexapro and Celexa are very STRONG and should be handled with respect. I am not a doctor but this lexapro road thru hell has made me wise to what one can expect while withdrawling. All I can STRESS is the IMPORTANCE OF GOING OFF Lexapro and/or CELEXA slowly meaning 2 to 5% reductions ...............if you want to be able to get thru this without severe pain emotionally and physically.
    Please check with a physician before following any advice.

aunty

erinkj is offline Senior Member

Smile Aunty

Thanks a million dearest! I have been struggeling with deciding if I should up the dose or not. Dr upped my script to 30 mg of celexa several weeks ago but, I have stubbornly stayed at 20mgs. Posting here has helped me maintain some sanity, the support is a big help! THANK YOU EVERYONE! I know getting off this med is going to take a long time. I am figuring one month per every one year I have been on SSRI med's so, that would be 11 months to taper. ( Being stable first, of course) AS you said I will listen to my body and taper more or less depending on how I feel. I am planning to drop 1 mg with my first reduction and allow at least 2 weeks before attempting to reduce by another 1mg. I will take it SLOW, I know what I am in for.ERGH. My concern was that I don't feel stabalised (Close but, not quite) so, I had been putting off tapering. I will increase to the 30 mgs for a few weeks and see how I feel. I keep reminding myself that I need to be patient...Thanks so much for your insight, I have been soo worried that increasing my dose would be the wrong thing to do even though my Dr told me to. Experience with these med's can make you mistrust M.D's. Thank's again Aunty...God Bless...Erin

Quote Originally Posted by erinkj View Post
    Thanks a million dearest! I have been struggeling with deciding if I should up the dose or not. Dr upped my script to 30 mg of celexa several weeks ago but, I have stubbornly stayed at 20mgs. Posting here has helped me maintain some sanity, the support is a big help! THANK YOU EVERYONE! I know getting off this med is going to take a long time. I am figuring one month per every one year I have been on SSRI med's so, that would be 11 months to taper. ( Being stable first, of course) AS you said I will listen to my body and taper more or less depending on how I feel. I am planning to drop 1 mg with my first reduction and allow at least 2 weeks before attempting to reduce by another 1mg. I will take it SLOW, I know what I am in for.ERGH. My concern was that I don't feel stabalised (Close but, not quite) so, I had been putting off tapering. I will increase to the 30 mgs for a few weeks and see how I feel. I keep reminding myself that I need to be patient...Thanks so much for your insight, I have been soo worried that increasing my dose would be the wrong thing to do even though my Dr told me to. Experience with these med's can make you mistrust M.D's. Thank's again Aunty...God Bless...Erin
    Normally I woul NEVER suggest a increase in lexapro or celexa, but in your case, the fact that you had been taking 40 Mg of Cexexa previously then began cold turkeying and then reinstaing.............it sems that the increase may be what the neurotransmitters have become accustome to functioning on.

The trick is to slowly decrease the dose so that the brain can heal as it becomes use to lower serotonin reutake chemicals. By decreasing by 50% of your previous dose (as you did) , you have pulled the rug out so to speak. Remember there are hundreds of body functions that depend on serotonin: mood, appetite, blood clotting, digestive system, muscles.......just to name a few. When the signals from synapse are not getting thru due to a dramatic change in serotonin levels.................results are what we all have come to know as withdrawls.

The lexapro and celexa chemically alter the way the brain functions.................the "withdrawals take so long not because the SSRI is still in your system but because the brain is trying to heal. Compare the changes in the brain made by lexapro to changes that may take place after a stroke.................it takes 12 to 18 months to "retrain" the brain from a injury. I am not saying lexapro or SSRI's injure the brain but what I am saying is that the brain has been chemically altered to function with the reutake mechanism of the serotonin. Take the reuprake of serotonin away quickly and the brain is unable to know how to function "normally". Slow decreases in the lexapro "retrains" the neurotransmitters how to function again with decreasing amounts of serotonin.

As we take SSRI's the body stops the production of serotonin because it is not needed. The lexapro "takes the serotonin and "recirculates it in a semse". The body will relearn how to produce serotonin naturally but that takes 12 to 18 months in most cases.

Sorry if you are unable to follow this. Dr. Anne Blake Tracy's book is excellent and will go into great detail as to why getting off SSRI's is in many cases harder to get off of then cocaine. Many Drug Detox centers are aware of this and will refuse to detox off of SSRI's.It is said that SSRI's can take 6 months to taper for evry year you have been on them. This can sound daunting.I know people that have only taken lexapro a few weeks and are still having withdrawl effects a year later so as I said, lexapro is powerful and needs to be catiously tapered off of to avoid changes in the brain's neurotransmitters that may not repair ( or that could take years to repair). My best advice would be never take lexapro or ANY SSRI but for many reading this...................that is not an option.

Again I am not a doctor so please research and check with a knowledgable physician before following any advice on the internet.
    good luck

aunty
    Last edited by auntybiotic; 02-02-2008 at 07:35 AM.

Julia77 is offline Member

Default Aunty, please advise

Hi Aunty,

I am taking advantage when I see you posting a bit here. I've tapered off ( not always wisely, but it did take me 7 months to taper off 2.5 mg).
    During this time I've felt a wide range of w/d - you name them, I've felt them all. Now it's my 5 day off and I am actually doing a bit better than on my last tiniest dose ( I tapered if you remember from .1 mg by making liquids). That way I guess I was able to hold back many of the withdrawals, or at least to make them tolerable and do my work and school.

I didn't start to taper right from the very beginning - I cut my 2.5 mg into halves, and then slivered my pills, and then 'reinstated' to .1 mg. Now 5 months later I am off .1 mg, slowly cutting that dose and eventually stopping. That way I felt a whole lot of w/d, but was able to function.

Will I feel any more w/d? Do you think I will go the same way as many of us do - first physical, then emotional issues...or can I hope that the worst is already behind for me?

I will appreciate your advice.
    Last edited by Julia77; 02-02-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julia77 View Post
    Hi Aunty,

I am taking advantage when I see you posting a bit here. I've tapered off ( not always wisely, but it did take me 7 months to taper off 2.5 mg).
    During this time I've felt a wide range of w/d - you name them, I've felt them all. Now it's my 5 day off and I am actually doing a bit better than on my last tiniest dose ( I tapered if you remember from .1 mg by making liquids). That way I guess I was able to hold back many of the withdrawals, or at least to make them tolerable and do my work and school.

I didn't start to taper right from the very beginning - I cut my 2.5 mg into halves, and then slivered my pills, and then 'reinstated' to .1 mg. Now 5 months later I am off .1 mg, slowly cutting that dose and eventually stopping. That way I felt a whole lot of w/d, but was able to function.

Will I feel any more w/d? Do you think I will go the same way as many of us do - first physical, then emotional issues...or can I hope that the worst is already behind for me?

I will appreciate your advice.
    Julia,

I am certain the worst is behind you. Are you taking the supplements especially carsons Omega 3 Fish Oil and inisitol (both are excellent for depression and moodiness).

You tapered off so slow that your brain had a chance to get use to the lower doses of the serotonin. Now your body will begin making its own serotonin. You may have moody spells especially near a period....but that's pretty normal anyway. Did you stabalize on the .1 while tapering off of it? How severe were your minute tapers with withdrawals, especially the very last one until to zero? If they were mild.......................you are fine.

The emotional and severe physical withdrawls that are mentioned at 3 to 5 months off lexapro are for those that tapered more then 10% or cold turkeyed. Relax..........

Don't worry you are thru the worst. You are so lucky to finally be off the lexapro. Keep me informed. I do check here about once a week. Again I am not a doctor so please research any advice given here.

aunty
    Last edited by auntybiotic; 02-02-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by auntybiotic View Post
    Julia,

I am certain the worst is behind you. Are you taking the supplements especially carsons Omega 3 Fish Oil and inisitol (both are excellent for depression and moodiness).

You tapered off so slow that your brain had a chance to get use to the lower doses of the serotonin. Now your body will begin making its own serotonin. You may have moody spells especially near a period....but that's pretty normal anyway. Did you stabalize on the .1 while tapering off of it? How severe were your minute tapers with withdrawals, especially the very last one until to zero? If they were mild.......................you are fine.

The emotional and severe physical withdrawls that are mentioned at 3 to 5 months off lexapro are for those that tapered more then 10% or cold turkeyed. Relax..........

Don't worry you are thru the worst. You are so lucky to finally be off the lexapro. Keep me informed. I do check here about once a week. Again I am not a doctor so please research any advice given here.

aunty
    Hi Aunty and all! Thanks so much, you inspired me a lot!! I feel so grateful because today I actually do feel better and this feeling is so intense - even the air around me smells differently.
    I did stabilize on .1 mg before I tapered. I had serious offsets while weaning off.....and wanted to go back many times but got inspiration rereading my own posts and postings of others. I have felt every withdrawal symptom you name it. When I stopped 5 days ago, I actually did feel moody and had a couple of crying spells, but then I got my period.. I completely forgot about that 'little stuff' in the midst of withdrawals despair. My last tapers were pretty manageable and in the end I felt like I would just be fine if I stop, so I went with my 'gut' feeling.
    I hope to be recovering more and more... I do take my Fish Oil, Magnesium, Multivitamin... should I be adding Inisitol to this? If so, how much?

In terms of diet, I happen to be eating a little differently now and it does make a difference. I almost didn't eat meat and poultry, but now I am adding those up a little to my salads and soups and feel more energetic after that. I eat lots of full grains and cut down my coffee significantly. I am actually able to drink some red wine on occasions and not to feel like I am freaking out

On a different wave, my friend was prescribed Zyprexa and Seroquel to deal with her situational anxiety. I almost banged my head on the wall when she told me and I mentioned to her they are for different purposes, but she had already started taking them. When she told so to her doctor, she told her'quit and and start Lexapro'. Well she is not able to quit because every reduction in those drugs make her climb up the wall, and she is a single mom with 2 kids having to work two jobs.

One more thing, my OCD which was treated in a group surfaced when I started Lex. Disappeared when I stopped. Side-effect of Lex, I am pretty sure.

I wish your daughter get off carefully and patiently. Take is as a painful lesson for both of you, and repeat every day that you've learned this lesson and you don't need it anymore. This is what my mom did when talking me thru many rough times during this.
    Last edited by Julia77; 02-02-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Ohwell is offline Member

Question Aunty!

Please advise...I am still having a bit of itching, creepy crawly, was getting better and then this morning I was itchy on my lower stomach and saw I have little red mostly flat rash there and also under my breasts. Whats going on. Now I'm in a panic again. Do you think it is withdrawals? or the hypothryoid medicine? 90 armor thryoid? I just upped the dose 7 days ago. Have been feeling better though, but now this.... What should I do? I hate itches since I found out they can be a symptom of the cancer I had....ugggh.
    ohwell.

Default Ohwell

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwell View Post
    Please advise...I am still having a bit of itching, creepy crawly, was getting better and then this morning I was itchy on my lower stomach and saw I have little red mostly flat rash there and also under my breasts. Whats going on. Now I'm in a panic again. Do you think it is withdrawals? or the hypothryoid medicine? 90 armor thryoid? I just upped the dose 7 days ago. Have been feeling better though, but now this.... What should I do? I hate itches since I found out they can be a symptom of the cancer I had....ugggh.
    ohwell.
    Just to make you feel better, I still have rashes on my upper stomach and reddish skin there . For me it was one of withdrawals symptoms - itching on the outside and inside. They are many little weird spots that itch and when you look there they are reddish.

Default Ohwell,

ohwell.
    Lexapro is hard on the liver and right now my daughter has a rash all over. Drink sping water with fresh lemon and take baths in epsom salts....this willl help you detox. When the liver is taxed the toxins come out thru the skin in the form of a rash or hives. It is withsrawal.

What treatment did you go thru for the Cancer. This also may be a form of a yeast infection. Try to stay off carbs and sugar for the next week. Actually cancer thrives on carbs and sugar so if you refrained from those for good it would be great. Don't worry.

aunty

Default Julia

[Mind over matter is half the battle................you will do great because you are so positive. I think the inisitol may help if the moodiness continues. See what is already in your daily supplement and then check some of my previous posts where I have gone into great detail. Go to the Vitamin store and buy the supplement inisitol and take as directed, usually 500 Mg to start.
    Inositol in the diet
    Inositol is present in our diet from both plant and animal sources, providing the adult human on a mixed North American diet with approximately 1 gram per day. The major dietary forms of myo-inositol are inositol hexaphosphate or phytic acid, which is widely found in cereals and legumes and associated with dietary fiber, and myo- inositol -containing phospholipids from animal and plant sources. Inositol is also found in nuts and fruits.

Inositol dosage
    Always start with a lower dosage of one 500 mg capsule even though studies have used higher amounts. Do not take several grams at a time unless you have first tried a lower amount to see how your body reacts to it.

Inositol benefit for various medical and psychiatric conditions
    Inositol supplements may benefit those with bipolar disorder, depression, impotence, obsessive-compulsive disorder, lung cancer, panic disorder, and polycystic ovary syndrome. This supplement could also be helpful in those with psoriasis who are on lithium medication. The inositol dosages used in most studies have been several grams. Whether smaller amounts of inositol benefit these conditions is not clear. Sometimes researchers choose dosages of medicines and supplements much higher than is required since they wish to elicit a quick response.

Inositol and depression
    Controlled trials of inositol in psychiatry.
    Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 1997 May;7(2):147-55. Levine J. Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beersheva, Israel.
    Inositol is a simple polyol precursor in a second messenger system important in the brain. Cerebrospinal fluid inositol has been reported decreased in depression. A double-blind controlled trial of 12 grams daily of inositol in 28 depressed patients for four weeks was performed. Significant overall benefit for inositol compared to placebo was found at week 4 on the Hamilton Depression Scale.

Inositol and panic disorder
    Double-blind, controlled, crossover trial of inositol versus fluvoxamine for the treatment of panic disorder.
    Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheba, Israel.
    J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2001 Jun;21(3):335-9.
    Myo Inositol, a natural isomer of glucose and a precursor for the second-messenger phosphatidyl inositol system, has previously been found superior to placebo in the treatment of depression, panic disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder OCD, but a direct comparison with an established drug has never been performed. A double-blind, controlled, random-order crossover study was undertaken to compare the effect of inositol with that of fluvoxamine in panic disorder. Twenty patients completed 1 month of inositol up to 18 grams a day and 1 month of fluvoxamine up to 150 mg/day. Improvements on Hamilton Rating Scale for Anxiety scores, agoraphobia scores, and Clinical Global Impressions Scale scores were similar for both treatments. In the first month, inositol reduced the number of panic attacks per week by 4 compared with a reduction of 2.4 with fluvoxamine. Nausea and tiredness were more common with fluvoxamine. Because inositol is a natural compound with few known side effects, it is attractive to patients who are ambivalent about taking psychiatric medication.

Since many antidepressants are effective in panic disorder, twenty-one patients with panic disorder with or without agoraphobia completed a double-blind, placebo-controlled, four week, random-assignment crossover treatment trial of inositol 12 grams per day. Frequency and severity of panic attacks and severity of agoraphobia declined significantly with inositol compared to placebo. Side-effects were minimal. Since serotonin re-uptake inhibitors benefit obsessive compulsive disorder OCD and inositol is reported to reverse desensitization of serotonin receptors, thirteen patients with OCD completed a double-blind controlled crossover trial of 18 g inositol or placebo for six weeks each. Inositol significantly reduced scores of OCD symptoms compared with placebo.

Myo inositol and lung cancer
    A phase I study of myo-inositol for lung cancer chemoprevention.
    Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006 Aug. Lam S, McWilliams A, LeRiche J, MacAulay C, Wattenberg L, Szabo E.
    Department of Respiratory Medicine, British Columbia Cancer Agency, British Columbia, Canada.
    A phase I, open-label, multiple dose, dose-escalation clinical study was conducted to assess the safety, tolerability, maximum tolerated dose, and potential chemopreventive effect of myo-inositol in smokers with bronchial dysplasia. Smokers between 40 and 74 years of age with more than 30 pack-years of smoking history and one or more sites of bronchial dysplasia were enrolled. A dose escalation study ranging from 12 to 30 g/d of myo-inositol for a month was first conducted in 16 subjects to determine the maximum tolerated dose. Ten new subjects were then enrolled to take the maximum tolerated dose for 3 months. The potential chemopreventive effect of myo-inositol was estimated by repeat autofluorescence bronchoscopy and biopsy. The maximum tolerated dose was found to be 18 grams per day. Side effects, when present, were mild and mainly gastrointestinal in nature. A significant increase in the rate of regression of preexisting dysplastic lesions was observed versus placebo (91% versus 48%). A statistically significant reduction in systolic and diastolic blood pressures by an average of 10 mm Hg was observed after taking 18 g/d of myo-inositol for a month or more. Myo-Inositol in a daily dose of 18 g orally for 3 months is safe and well tolerated.

Alzheimer's disease - A double-blind controlled crossover trial of 6 g of inositol daily vs. glucose for one month each was carried out in eleven Alzheimer patients, with on clearly significant therapeutic effects.

Autism - A controlled double-blind crossover trial of inositol 200 mg/kg per day showed no benefit in nine children with autism.

EDT induced cognitive decline - Cholinergic agonists have been reported to ameliorate electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)-induced memory impairment. Inositol metabolism is involved in the second messenger system for several muscarinic cholinergic receptors. Inositol 6 g daily was given in a crossover-double-blind manner for five days before the fifth or sixth ECT to a series of twelve patients, without effect.

Premenstrual syndrome - Myo inositol 12 grams daily was compared to placebo (d-glucose) administered at the same dose to patients with PMS. Each substance was given during the luteal phase only (14 days prior to menses). For each patient treatment alternated between these two drugs for six menstrual cycles. No beneficial effect was demonstrated for inositol over placebo.

Schizophrenia - A controlled double-blind crossover trial of 12 g daily of inositol for a month in twelve anergic schizophrenic patients, did not show any beneficial effects.

Inositol mechanism of action
    Myo-Inositol is synthesized from glucose-6-phosphate. Myo- inositol is metabolized to phosphatidylinositol, which makes up a small, but very significant, component of cell membranes.

My personal inositol supplement experience
    I have only taken inositol twice. One day I took two 500 mg capsules and did not feel much. The next day I took 4 capsules and noticed slightly more energy, better mood and perhaps a mild improvement in vision. I think if I had continued the inositol supplement experimentation a few more days the effects would have been cumulative. For long term use, a 500 mg capsule should be sufficient unless a person is being treated for a particular medical condition. Based on my limited experience, I think inositol could be added to other mood improving supplements, such as 5-HTP, St. John's wort, or SAM-e, as a multi-supplement therapy for depression treatment. .

Oh well,

Inisitol helps cancer cells kill one another off so this would be a great supplement for anyone that beat cancer or has a history of cancer.

Again I am not a doctor so please check with your physician before following any advice.
    Last edited by auntybiotic; 02-02-2008 at 07:46 PM.

jca1928 is offline Junior Member

Default hi all new kid in town

first off hi to everyone

i looking for some advice I was on 5 mill of lexapro for about ten months. iwas put on it for ADD and GAD. before I went on it felt ok most of the time. had my ups and downs. but i was have sexual side a fects most of the time i was on it. so ask my doc how to stop taking it. i was told to take it every other day for 2 weeks and then to just stop and if that didn't work to cut the dose in half do the same thing and stop. well those things didn't work so i took the 5 mill every 4 days for a little over two weeks and stoped started to get all nasty syptoms after the forth day. by day 10 i thought i was going die my head hurt so bad plus feeling dizzy. sort of like having the flu but not letting up at all. so my doc put me on EFFEXOR XR 33.7 mg wich i started taking on the tenth day of being off the lexapro. wich only has made things worse i feel realy tence and nervice can't sleep at all. eveing with a the sleeping peels i got from the doc office. so i'm now being weened of the effexore. i'm suposed to be done with that in about a week or so after only being on for a little over a week. the doc is taking me off it pritty quick. he wants me to be off it for a week and then try some thing els. plus he gave me some samples of DEPLIN (L-METHYFOLATE) to take says that it mite help. what i'm thinking is should go back on the lexapro or maby try celexa because i realy can't aford to pay for lexapro wich is another reason why i'm trying to stop taking it. does any one know if there is a big difference between lexxapro and clexa or should just go back on the lexapro and taper down more slowly

Ohwell is offline Member

Default thanks...

Thanks for the advice guys. Sorry I'm such a mess. Its been a hard few weeks. Hoping to improve soon!

Welcome new kid in town. I can't help today. I'm too messed up. ohwell.

Post jca1928

Quote Originally Posted by jca1928 View Post
    first off hi to everyone

i looking for some advice I was on 5 mill of lexapro for about ten months. iwas put on it for ADD and GAD. before I went on it felt ok most of the time. had my ups and downs. but i was have sexual side a fects most of the time i was on it. so ask my doc how to stop taking it. i was told to take it every other day for 2 weeks and then to just stop and if that didn't work to cut the dose in half do the same thing and stop. well those things didn't work so i took the 5 mill every 4 days for a little over two weeks and stoped started to get all nasty syptoms after the forth day. by day 10 i thought i was going die my head hurt so bad plus feeling dizzy. sort of like having the flu but not letting up at all. so my doc put me on EFFEXOR XR 33.7 mg wich i started taking on the tenth day of being off the lexapro. wich only has made things worse i feel realy tence and nervice can't sleep at all. eveing with a the sleeping peels i got from the doc office. so i'm now being weened of the effexore. i'm suposed to be done with that in about a week or so after only being on for a little over a week. the doc is taking me off it pritty quick. he wants me to be off it for a week and then try some thing els. plus he gave me some samples of DEPLIN (L-METHYFOLATE) to take says that it mite help. what i'm thinking is should go back on the lexapro or maby try celexa because i realy can't aford to pay for lexapro wich is another reason why i'm trying to stop taking it. does any one know if there is a big difference between lexxapro and clexa or should just go back on the lexapro and taper down more slowly
    Celexa is the parent drug of lexapro. They have the same basic chemical structure with a few slight differernces. I could explain the exact chemical structure of each but, it would be lengthy and possibly boring. Celexa is a milder version of lexapro but, the dosing is differernt. Lexapro being stronger and more selective. For example: If you took 10 mg of Lexapro, you would take 20 mg of celexa as that would be the equivilant. 20 mg lex=40 mg celexa, and so on. If you switch to celexa the strength will be higher than the lex strength you took but, is the equivilant; well, you get the idea. I have had a similar experience with not being able to afford lexapro ( did'nt have insurance) and switching to celexa. Celexa is available in generic form called citalopram and costs roughly $16.00 per month. I am currently on citalopram the generic celexa and find I have fewer side effects with it than I did on Lexapro. I had ALOT of stomache problems on Lexapro. Lexapro is NOT approved for the treatment of ADD/ADHD but is approved for deppression and anxiety. ALL of the SSRI medications have a high instence of sexual side effects, some worse than others and of course, not all people react the same to all med's. Effexor is actually an SNRI (seretonin norepinephrin reuptake inhibitor) as it also affects norepinephrine reuptake it can be more stimulating to anxiety. This class of med does not treat ADD/ADHD. If you want to treat ADD/ADHD without a stimulant medication then you may want to check out stratera and discuss it with you'r dr. Stratera works through the norepinephrine pathway to regulate the dopamine which is the area targeted to treat ADD/ADHD yet, it is NOT a stimulant like ritalin or dexadrine, etc. Also, did you have anxiety before you began treating the ADD? If you began med's for ADD before onset of anxiety then it is possible that the anxiety was a result of stimulant med's for ADD treatment. GAD may also be a result of untreated ADD. Considering the hyper state of the thought process in ADD you may feel as though you'r thoughts spin like turning wheels that wont slow down, which leeds to excesive worry/ overthinking analysing and loss of attention and focus all things that bring about anxiety. If you are aware of which condition is the primary, ie: which one started first. Then, it is best to try and successfully treat the primary condition as that will help the secondary condition. I personaly don't recomend SSRI med's for treatment of these problems as they are much more difficult to discontinue than the other anti-depressant med classes. If I had it to do all over again I would not have used an SSRI. Even if you re-instate back to lexapro or switch to celexa you may still experience some of the problems you are currently faced with for awhile, as you switched quickly between two similar yet, different med class structures. ie: SSRI to SNRI. Are you still taking sleeping pill's? If so, what one?....hope this helps...Erin

Post Ohwell

Were you on Armor before? or is this the new thyroid med you talked about? If this is a different med than you used before, I would look it up and check on the possability of the rash being caused by that. As to rash being a withdrawl, this is the first I have heard about that and have not experienced it so, I have no advice in that respect. Also, it is winter so, your skin will be drier this time of year and if you take baths frequently, especially hot ones using epsome salt that will dry your skin alot and may cause a rash. I get a mild itchy rash on occasion after epsome salt baths if I forget to use a moisturising body lotion afterwards. (I take baths alot and use the epsome salt alot) I wish I had the answer for you. I hope it isn't withdrawl but, I have no way of knowing as I am still on my med's. Let me know if you figure it out. The creepy crawly sensations probobly are withdrawl but, if Armor is new to you and this started after you began armor then it is possible it could be a reaction. I think it is a good idea to try and rule out all the possible causes though. Have you made any changes in things like laundry soap, fabric softener, lotion, bath soap etc? I think Aunty and Julia are far more knowlegable here but, I wanted to throw the other possabilities out there for you'r consideration. I am so sorry you are having such a rough go lately, you are in my prayers....ERin

Question Aunty

I have also done some re-search on inositol after reading your past posts about it and agree it has alot of merit. I am wondering if it is safe to add it to my supplement regimen while I am still on my med's, if it will help any to ease withdrawls and help my brain heal. What is you'r opinion on this? Should I add it or wait until after I am off celexa? Thanks alot for checking in, your advice is always welcome and so very encouraging. I hope you and you'r family are all well....Erin

Default erin thanks for the info

the sleeping pills that the doc gave me are samples of restoril 7.5 mg though last night i took some advill PM istead it seamed to help me sleep a little better than the restoril beleave it or not. as fare as being treated with add meds ihad been on and off ritilin when i was a kid and in my teens. i didn't take any thing for the ADD till about ten months ago when my doc put me on Stratera wich made feel realy yucky. so i quit taking that after only one dose about a month later i was put on lexapro i was giving about 2 months worth of samples and sent on my way. at first the lexapro made me feeling a little out of it and pritty much killed my sex drive but after a few weeks it kinda went away. i was feeling pritty good exept having a low sex drive. the only reason i stayed on it for so long is becuse i knew from running out in tha past that felt sick when not on it. i realy thinking of going back on the lexapro or trying the celexa and doing a very slow taper off of it. because the effexor xr i'm on just isn't working for me. it makes feel worse i have been sick in the stomach ever since i went on it. ive also been off of work fore week over all of this and supose to go back on tue not sure how it's going go. life was a lot better on lexapro as fare as side afects go. plus the last few days the left side of my face feels kinda funny. i had this proble last sunday and went to the hospitle and had a cat scane done they didn't find any thing. i think right now my big quistion is how long should i be off of the efexxor xr before going back on the lexapro or celexa or should i go back on lexapro first for a wile then try celexa thanks in advance

gronholm is offline Banned

Default about lexapro

Lexapro (as well as other SSRIs) has a very long half-life in the bloodstream, so it takes several days of daily doses to ramp up to effective levels, and it slowly ramps down when you stop. Thus the body doesn't treat it as an addictive drug, unlike alcohol, for example, which has an almost immediate result and triggers whatever mechanism the brain has for setting up cravings for chemicals. (It's still not recommended that you stop Lexapro without a doctor's recommendation.)

offlex is offline New Member

Default help

I have been off 6 months and my stomach muscles hart so much and I can't get off this sinues stuff. I don't know what to do. I take omgea 3 noni junce. What can I do. Any advice.

Ohwell is offline Member

Default offlex

Go to the doctor.

sinus stuff is hard to get rid of. My brother has had it his whole life.
    Pinch your nose and blow hard and clear your eustation tubes.

Ask the dr. about your stomach muscles?

Sorry your suffering. I'm right there with you. My rash is itchy today.
    I'm hoping mine is from my new thryoid medicine. I took the old med. today.

I will pray for you. ohwell.

Ohwell is offline Member

Default Erin

Yes, I changed from levothryoixin (sp) to armor thryoid 60....

this was about 2 months ago....then about 3 weeks ago, I got sick, tired, cold, etc. and they checked my levels about 10 days ago and they were not right...so they upped me to 90 armor thryoid. My itching actually started a few days "before" this, I think from stress, it was the creepy crawly type.

About 2 days ago I got a red rash that itches on my stomach and under my breasts, a tad under my arms and a tad between legs. I think I am allergic to something in the 90, it is a different color pill and different size than the 60 pill.....I know most do well on armor, but for me it has been just the opposite. so just to be safe this morning I took my old levothryoxin pill (synthroid generic) and will call the dr.office in the morning.

I'm hoping my rash is better tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice! ohwell.

deena1281 is offline New Member

Default almost a month lexapro free

i posted something a couple weeks ago about quitting lexapro cold turkey and the symptoms i was experiencing. they were probably the worst at the 2 week mark, the worst symptom being the dizziness and for about a week my blood pressure was so high i thought i should have gone to the hospital. it has been almost a month now off lexapro and the withdrawal symptoms are not nearly as bad. i get a few brain zaps here and there and still get the vertigo every once in awhile but for the most part it feels like the worst part is over. i thought i was going to have a much harder time since i have been on SSRI's for over 10 years.
    One of the main motivations for getting off of this drug was to hopefully stop the uncontrollable weight gain. I think i have gained over 50 lbs in the 10 year period of being on SSRI's. I noticed the first couple of weeks i had uncontrollable cravings and could not eat enough food. i think i put on about another 10 lbs just after quitting it which was pretty disappointing. it was also the week before starting my period which could have had a lot to do with it. Speaking of I think lexapro was the culprit of many of my menstral issues. i was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago because i would get my period 2 weeks apart and they would last anywhere up to 16 days. This is the first time i have been off lexapro and my period lasted a normal 5 days. My cravings and appetite seem to be actually be much more supressed than they ever have within this last week. hopefully weight loss will follow! i have been working out like crazy for years and nothing will give.
    I also have been taking fish oil, flax seed oil, and a multi-vitamin everyday and i think that has helped. i am going to begin taking more supplements like 5-htp and milk thistle once i have been off of it for 45 days.
    It just kind of scares me when i read the importance of tapering off this drug when i just quit cold turkey and have been on anti-depressants for so long. I just wonder if i could have caused brain damage or something. will my brain ever be able to produce serotonin normally again?

Default deena1281

Quote Originally Posted by deena1281 View Post
    i posted something a couple weeks ago about quitting lexapro cold turkey and the symptoms i was experiencing. they were probably the worst at the 2 week mark, the worst symptom being the dizziness and for about a week my blood pressure was so high i thought i should have gone to the hospital. it has been almost a month now off lexapro and the withdrawal symptoms are not nearly as bad. i get a few brain zaps here and there and still get the vertigo every once in awhile but for the most part it feels like the worst part is over. i thought i was going to have a much harder time since i have been on SSRI's for over 10 years.
    One of the main motivations for getting off of this drug was to hopefully stop the uncontrollable weight gain. I think i have gained over 50 lbs in the 10 year period of being on SSRI's. I noticed the first couple of weeks i had uncontrollable cravings and could not eat enough food. i think i put on about another 10 lbs just after quitting it which was pretty disappointing. it was also the week before starting my period which could have had a lot to do with it. Speaking of I think lexapro was the culprit of many of my menstral issues. i was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago because i would get my period 2 weeks apart and they would last anywhere up to 16 days. This is the first time i have been off lexapro and my period lasted a normal 5 days. My cravings and appetite seem to be actually be much more supressed than they ever have within this last week. hopefully weight loss will follow! i have been working out like crazy for years and nothing will give.
    I also have been taking fish oil, flax seed oil, and a multi-vitamin everyday and i think that has helped. i am going to begin taking more supplements like 5-htp and milk thistle once i have been off of it for 45 days.
    It just kind of scares me when i read the importance of tapering off this drug when i just quit cold turkey and have been on anti-depressants for so long. I just wonder if i could have caused brain damage or something. will my brain ever be able to produce serotonin normally again?
    Yes, it probably would. The question is how long it will take your individual brain to heal. And those drugs do not actually produce brain damage, but your brain stops producing its own serotonin. Once you stop your drug, it relearns at its own speed. It might take up to 12-18 months. This means during this time you can experience all kinds of withdrawal symptoms, ( physical and emotional ones) which get less intense with the time.
    You're sounding like you're actually not doing too bad.. You might want to wait it out if you don't want to reinstate and taper slowly. If you've been off for almost a month, you might want to wait out your symptoms until they subside.

Most important is to remember that it's not you who's depressed, moody and irritable - it's withdrawals produced by the drug. It was so important to remember for me.

PS. and remember about that months 3-4 mark when emotional wave hits. I could bare any kinds of physical w/d, but emotional were the worst.

Default jca1928

Quote Originally Posted by jca1928 View Post
    the sleeping pills that the doc gave me are samples of restoril 7.5 mg though last night i took some advill PM istead it seamed to help me sleep a little better than the restoril beleave it or not. as fare as being treated with add meds ihad been on and off ritilin when i was a kid and in my teens. i didn't take any thing for the ADD till about ten months ago when my doc put me on Stratera wich made feel realy yucky. so i quit taking that after only one dose about a month later i was put on lexapro i was giving about 2 months worth of samples and sent on my way. at first the lexapro made me feeling a little out of it and pritty much killed my sex drive but after a few weeks it kinda went away. i was feeling pritty good exept having a low sex drive. the only reason i stayed on it for so long is becuse i knew from running out in tha past that felt sick when not on it. i realy thinking of going back on the lexapro or trying the celexa and doing a very slow taper off of it. because the effexor xr i'm on just isn't working for me. it makes feel worse i have been sick in the stomach ever since i went on it. ive also been off of work fore week over all of this and supose to go back on tue not sure how it's going go. life was a lot better on lexapro as fare as side afects go. plus the last few days the left side of my face feels kinda funny. i had this proble last sunday and went to the hospitle and had a cat scane done they didn't find any thing. i think right now my big quistion is how long should i be off of the efexxor xr before going back on the lexapro or celexa or should i go back on lexapro first for a wile then try celexa thanks in advance
    Please reconsider treating ADHD with antidepressants! Please also be informed that discontinuing Retalin might cause depressive/anxious episodes.

Your brain will suffer if you're on drugs combination. Many people end up being multi-medicated not aware that they are treating only side-effects of medications. There is so much wonderful natural stuff out there for treating ADHD.

How old are you and why does your doctor think you need to be on those drugs? What's your diagnosis? Sorry I didn't get it from your post.

Peace,
    Julia

Default Deena

Quote Originally Posted by deena1281 View Post
    Everyone is different and you may be one of the lucky ones. Just so you are informed, in case you do get withdrawls after a few months, The main one when cold turkeying is depersonalization....you feel outside of yourself. (Noni juice helps this). There are also sleeplessness issues and anxiety as your body adjusts itself. Moodiness and depression are also part of the emotional withdrawals that may come at about 3 months.

Are you having any stomach cramping, sweating, bad dreams/nightmares, loose stools, loss of appetite and headaches......if no.....you are doing very well for cold turkeying. You just might be one of the few who have mininium withdrawals.

I would wait more then 45 days before starting any herbal mood regulator........possibly a year because the emotional withdrawls may not hit until month 3 and it would be difficult to tell what may be causing the symptoms if you have added serotonin stimulators.
    I am not a doctor so please check with your before following any advice.
    Last edited by auntybiotic; 02-05-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Default hi Julia77

I havent taken any thing for ADD since i was 16 i hated ritilin cause it made me nervose. i'm now 27 and bout to turn 28 in april. the reason I decided to go and get treated again was because i had quit smoking and was having mega troble contolling my thoughts. after about five months of that. went to my doctor asked about being treated again for ADD. he sent me to Nolton wich is supose to specialize in mentle disorders. the doctor there kept telling me that she thought it was GAD. so tried stratera for the ADD and it made me feel realy sick so I stoped taking it after the first dose. went back to my doc a month later and she started pushing for me to try lexapro. so started on 10mg. the lexapro did take away most of the GAD systems and did help with keeping things stait in my mind but still did have some problems with focusing on what i was doing. and on top of that it killed my sex drive. so after about 3 weeks of taking it stoped not knowing that you were supose taper. I started to get all the nasty side efects and didn't know what was going. my mother who is an RN told me that i needed to start taking the lexapro again. so stared up again. but was only taking 5 mg and stayed at that for about 10 months. and wasn't feeling to bad either + got some of my sex drive back. the thing is now that i'm dating some one and we both are very much in love and looks like were going be together for a long time hopefully for rest of lives. i would realy like to get off this stuff for good. my famly doc is weeing me off of the Efexxor XR that he put me on about 2 weeks ago. and i'm supose to go back on the lexapro a week after i'm done with the efexxor xr cause i'm not doing to well on it. it makes me realy nervose and sick in the stomach. i read that it can act like stimualnt. if i would have nown that i would not have stared it. i don't do to well with stuff like that. if could i would take my old life back in a minute rapid thoughts and all. i'm starting think that the medical profesion is trying make us all the same. like we all came out of the same mold or some thing. and the world just isn't like that. they need to quit trying to play GOD. thanks in advance AJ
    Last edited by jca1928; 02-05-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Ohwell is offline Member

Default still have the rash?

Hey all,

I think I have Hives....have not had them before, but I have had alot of stress lately. I don't think its the armour. So I am still on it. Anyone else getting hives with withdrawal or stress? ohwell.

offlex is offline New Member

Default ohwell

Hey all,

I think I have Hives....have not had them before, but I have had alot of stress lately. I don't think its the armour. So I am still on it. Anyone else getting hives with withdrawal or stress? ohwell.
    I don't have hives. But you are at the same time frame as me. I do have the tense muscle I think because of stress. Before I started lexapro I stayed tense up all the time, I didn't realize it until I got up and moved, then by night fall I hurt all over. I hope I don't start that again because I do not want to go back on anything. Went to the Doc, all he know is to go back on the meds. Please tell me this is still withdraws and will go away soon. Six month off.

Ohwell, Hope you get better soon. I will be praying for you.

HappyDad is offline New Member

Recap: I was on 15mg of Lexapro for 2.5 years and then tapered off over a period of 6 weeks. I'm a 45 YO male. Married w/ two great kids ages 9 and 11. I have a great job with a supportive boss. I have been on 1mg per day of Clonazepam (taken nightly) to help with the withdrawal symptoms since I first began weaning off of the Lexapro.

Update: Well, I've been Lexapro free for three months now. The first two monts were an emotional roller coaster (hell) and then things began to get better. The anxiety and depression began to lift and the crying spells became less frequent and less intense. I've never experienced real depression until I was introduced to SSRI's. During the past 4 weeks (month 3) things have become more tolerable. I have only experienced mild depression a few times (few hours each) and I've only had 1 crying spell (last Friday). I've experienced a few spells of low level anxiety (non-situational). It was uncomfortable, but tolerable. I have had several days in a row where I've felt great and then the typical w/d symptoms returned...burning eyes, flu type feeling, fatigue, stomach cramps, headaches, etc. Just when I thought I was past the w/d I'd have another ********************py experience. There are days when I experience joy and have lots of energy and then there have been days when I think it's never going to end. It's still a roller coaster, but the ups and downs are not quite as extreme. My current Dr. has been very supportive with my decision to get off of Lexapro, but I believe that he agrees with the leagues of other Dr.s who all but refuse to accept that withdrawals can last more than a few weeks. He hasn't stated this belief verbally, but he's told me that I must be one of the few rare individuals that experience long term w/d.

It's really strange, I've had days when things were going so well and I was really enjoying my kids or watching a movie, etc. and all of a sudden the w/d crawls all over me like a giant bear. An hour or so later I feel good again. The best word I can use to describe this whole mess is EXHAUSTING! Week 9 & 10 were my best weeks so far, those weeks really boosted my hope and faith. Weeks 11 and 12 were a bit more rocky. I spoke on the phone with a psychiatrist by the name of Dr. Shipko who told me that withdrawals can last anywhere from 2 weeks to 12 months and that Dr.s that say otherwise are either uninformed or untruthful. He also said that SSRI's have the potential neuro-toxic effect of >>>>>>e for some people. He said he only uses SSRI's in extreme cases! He's the author of a book on this stuff and claims to be an expert on the subject...(shrug). All I know is that I'm ready for the mess to end.

On the subject of supplements, I don't know for sure if these supplements have helped me or not, but it sure hasn't hurt. I've been drinking a lot of green tea (Celestial Seasonings DECAFF) and taking Magnesium Citrate along with Omega 3. I've tried the Sealogix brand and Omega Brite omega 3 products. Both are Pharmaceutical grade products ($ cha ching) with the difference between the two being the EPAHA ratio. If you care to, you can read about high end Omeg 3 here >> http://www.fishoilreview.com/

Exercise! Vigorous exercise is the biggest help. Do it at least 3 times per week. Don't wait until you feel better, do it now regardless of how you feel. You WILL feel better within 2-4 weeks. The time is going to pass weather you exercise or not so you might as well do it...it WILL help.

Stay focused (read a book or write in a journal), stay busy (clean out a closet or you flower bed) and meditate. I'm a Christian so I meditate on scriptures...more now than I ever have (yes, I'm a hypocrite just like everyone else). I don't know what I would do with God in my life. If you have no religious affiliation (it's never too late) then I'd suggest meditating on something that brings you joy.

I hope this post helps at least one person. Remember, you're not alone. There are hundreds of posts from people sharing an experience similar to your's.

Shamless plug: It doesn't matter if you believe in God or not, he still believes in you. If you believe, but wonder why you're not receiving immediate healing then your in the same boat I'm in. I have to remind myself daily that God does things with his timing not mine. Like me, you're not being punished for some wrong you've done, you're just walking through one of life's unfortunate trials. I plan on coming out of the other end of this whole mess as a better person and I pray the same for you. Do not give in and do not give up!

- Jeff

Ci Ci is offline New Member

Default Lexapro Withdrawal

I have been on antidepressants for 10 years. I stopped the Lexapro I was taking after tapering off for a few months. It has been a little over a month now and I am struggling to maintain a balance. I feel very anxious and depressed. I knew going into this that there would be some element of anti-depressive withdrawal involved. I am having a really hard time with this but I do NOT want to go back on the drugs. Can someone suggest an alternative treatment?
    Has anyone ever tried acupuncture? I wonder if that would work. I feel like I live one day at a time not knowing if I will have a mood swing from one minute to the next because I am VERY sensitive.
    Am I fooling myself????
    Does anyone know how long this will last?
    Is there any hope for recovery?
    I am so lost in this.
    thanks