Page 16 of 436 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Lexapro Withdrawal
    auntybiotic is offline Senior Member

Hi Everyone,
    Watch Dr.Phil tomorrow.Someone that I corresponded with that withdrew from a SSRI is going to be on tomorrow (WED) trying to warn the public how dangerous the SSRI's are.I Hope it goes well.Dr. Phil has no clue about how dangerous SSRI's are.
    Goodnight

Don't forget to watch Dr Phil today (Wed.) on SSRI'S "Overmedicating America".

jiyn is offline New Member

anxiousbabe,

Sometimes, when I turn my head or move my eyes, I get the feeling that I drop a foot or two through the floor. But without any stomach discomfort. It just seems to be a perception thing. If that's what you are talking about then you are not alone.

Everyone - I can't get to a tv at work so please let me know if the Dr. Phil shows goes well.

bodyelectric is offline Member

The touchy emotions and hypomania passed without sending me into depression, so it doesn't look like part of a bipolar cycle at all. I'm going to go ahead and try SAMe and hope nothing disastrous happens. I've been eyeing the box suspiciously.

Here's what I'm taking/doing now:
    * multivitamin, especially to get vitamins C, E, and minerals calcium and magnesium for mood, muscle cramps, and anxiety
    * B complex (mood) Aunty advises: "Many are unable to take B Vitamins for about a year after going off Lexapro due to a hyperactive nervous system caused by the Lexapro. If loud noises scare you, scary movies make you anxious but yet these never bothered you before...then this applies to you. You can get your B Vitamins from food fine...it is the synthetic version that messes with your system." To clear up one point, there is no difference in chemical formula between synthetic and natural vitamins -- that's (successful) marketing hype. But there may be a difference in what else comes with it in the pill to deliver or activate it, so Aunty has a point. If your depression/anxiety stems from alcoholism, you need to add some B1 either in food (wheat germ) or pill form, because alcohol can cause a deficiency. You should also take B6 because a gene in your alcoholic DNA makes your body unable to make it correctly on its own.
    * tyrosine, an amino acid (in the form of a product called "Male Fuel" which also has saw palmetto, yohimbe, plant sterol (is this a good idea?) and megadoses of some B vitamins, unfortunately not the specific ones I need (alcoholism) so I'm continuing with the B complex, too. B overdose is hard to do, apparently. I couldn't find just plain tyrosine at the grocery store.) Take it for mood and to restore balance. Tyrosine is also thought to be effective in battling various cravings.
    * omega-3, a fish and flaxseed combo for brain zaps, weight, heart function and mood
    * milk thistle to help your liver detox the P450 cytochrome system
    * 5-HTP increases serotonin levels and helps weight control. Don't take it if you're still on the SSRIs.
    * selenium for mood and heart function
    * ginkgo biloba for concentration, memory, and brain fog
    * sunlight for vitamin and serotonin regulation
    * music for a frontal-lobe massage. Nothing too harsh, so I've put Nine Inch Nails and my old Black Sabbath aside for now. Brahms is good for me, though baroque music has been proven to be even better for brain fog, memory, and concentration. Personally, baroque drives me up the wall but it's worth a try.
    * lots of rest because this sucks
    * lots of sex because it is great again and will definitely put a smile on your face
    * lots and lots of water to help process all these supplements, give the brain a drink, and to recover from the above...
    * diet high in fresh steamed vegetables, nuts, whole grains and occasionally turkey and fish is good for most of these symptoms, and I've been disguising milled flaxseed in most everything
    * 1-2 cups of coffee as a stimulant and mood booster (haven't craved it at all, though I used to drink a whole lot more). Note that if you're still tapering, caffeine works against what your liver is trying to accomplish. Plus if anxiety is already a problem, it could make it worse.
    * 1 tblspn of cocoa powder, usually in a banana and soy smoothie, though I've also cooked it with chili peppers as a sauce (Mexican mole), added it to milk, etc. Good for serotonin production, magnesium, and mood booster. Cocoa and chocolate do have a small amount of caffeine.
    * 30 minutes of a Rodney Yee yoga DVD
    * prayer and meditation and conversation with others has helped a lot with anger, feeling alienated and disassociative
    * still haven't made it to the gym.

For new folks, here are other things people have suggested and/or tried:
    * [u]going back to full dose and weaning more slowly has the best results</u>(!!!)
    * melatonin for insomnia, vivid nightmares, and your dream-like existence -- but caution if you're still taking an SSRI
    * ginger (in food or boiled with water, lemon and honey for a hot drink) and peppermint (fresh sprigs or tea) for anxiety and nausea
    * inositol and Bach Flower Essence WHITE CHESTNUT, also for anxiety
    * Bach's Flower Essence in CHERRY PLUM for suicidal and morbid thinking as well as hypomania
    * acupuncture and acupressure
    * the talking cure, massage therapy, reiki, etc.
    * crystal salt lamps -- again, from Aunty: "Salt lamps are said to help produce negative ions in the air that help with mood control but there is much debate...they are pretty if it turns out they do not work."
    * Use Tylenol (acetaminophen) instead of ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) Aunty's note: "Do NOT take Advil or Motrin if you are tapering off of Lexapro. It may feel like it is working because it is actually increasing the levels of the lexapro thru a drug to drug interaction in the cytochrome P 450 System." For the more drugphobic of us, cooking with turmeric and cayenne accomplishes the same thing for pain, headache and flu-like symptoms
    * others have suggested wine, beer, and marijuana, which they report works. That's a personal call. Alcohol is a depressant and could make things worse in the long-run if you overdo it. Marijuana is a mild hallucinogen, which makes some people relaxed but makes others even more anxious and paranoid. Again, it's a personal call, and I am biased against them, so don't take my word for it.
    * getting angry and venting here or elsewhere seems to work wonders
    * lecithin for muscle soreness, twitching, and irritability
    * green food (magma plus) and choline for energy
    * apple cider vinegar in pill form. Again, I don't know what it does...?
    * a product called Deprex has a lot of these things combined already, though some don't like it because it contains aspartame (phenylalanine). Phenylalanine at some level is necessary for serotonin and tyrosine production, though.
    * barley juice for liver detox
    * noni juice for disassociative thinking or feeling isolated
    * GARDEN of LIFE Primal Defense #1450 Probiotic Formula for stomach and digestive distress

I think I got all of them there in that list that have been mentioned on this topic at one time or another. If I missed something, please speak up. Lots of people are talking about magnesium, and it looks like your body can take it in several different forms -- stearate, citrate, or malate. If you are still very anxious, you might try adding a mg supplement. See the post by "auntybiotic" on page 32 of this thread for more information on mg.

You will find more on diet on pages 24 and 32.

Keep in mind that some of these have implications and side effects of their own, so please do your own research. This is just a list of possibilities to get you started, and I'm definitely no doctor.

I apologize for dragging my heels on the cytochrome question. The owners of this site have very kindly allowed me to reuse my posts from here on my own web site, so there's no immediate rush to get it up. I wish I had read the fine print before, but they're being very nice about the copyright issue.

Also, it's day 15 off and I don't have a single symptom, not even the brain zaps. The first wave lasted about 12 days and was the worst. The second wave with totally new symptoms was 3 days and not as bad. I woke up today ready to go to work, actually looking forward to it, which I haven't felt in a long time. I came off 40mg in only 10 days, which is ridiculous, but I have to think the supplements have made it easier, though I don't really know.

That said, I'm waiting for the shoe to drop with a third wave of symptoms. Is there a third wave? I know it's not completely over, this stuff takes time to heal, but I have my fingers crossed that the worst is over.

anxiousbabe is offline Junior Member

Body electric,

You have yourself quite a list there. I had to write everything down. I am going to make it my business to the health food store tonight so I can stockup on some of this stuff. I think I am going to start with the omega 3 fish and flax combo because I need help with my weight (32 pounds for the lexapro) thank you very much and my brain zaps need some help also. I don't know if I can start the 5-HTP yet because I am only on day 4 or 5 of totally being off the Lex....what do you think? The water is easy and the diet is great. SEX is finally back in my life and great again, just like old times. My libido had finally come back from the dead. Yeah!!!! I am very happy about that, but I am sure that my husband is happier.
    I am scared of the B-complex because I think it made me feel like I was racing last time I tried it, but it could be because I am paranoid of taking stuff anyway. I can do cocoa no problem and a multi vitamin. The gym is finally back in my life again and I actually look forward to going instead of having no motovation while on the lexapro.

Well I just want to thank you again for you helpful, appreciated information. Any other suggestions? Keep it coming.

Be well,
    Florence

Body electric,

Congrats on the symptoms getting better. At what point did the depersonalization set in. How many times a do you experience it??

Salt lamps are said to help produce negative ions in the air that help with mood control but there is much debate...........they are unique looking when lit if it turns out they do not work.

You did a great job on summarization.
    Aunty

Yes, I noticed that the B complex revved my engines considerably, too. Whatever you do, don't take them before trying to sleep. Forget it. I think its also the culprit behind the flourescent urine. On the flipside, overdose on B is hard to do and not really that serious usually. And they're very important for all kinds of bodily functions. But with everything, if you're not comfortable with it, don't do it.

As far as the 5-HTP is concerned, I first took it about where you are in your withdrawal and was fine, but now that I've read more, I'd say wait at least 2-3 more days. Lexapro half-life is relatively short, but some can still linger for quite awhile. Before you take it, do a search on "serotonin syndrome" so you'll know what to look out for in case you need to stop taking the 5-HTP.

I didn't notice the disassociation until Friday or so, but it might just have been that my other symptoms were more in the forefront. Plus I've always felt something of an "outsider." I don't have a good answer, Aunty. I do know that it led to some paranoid thinking that ended with a bit of a spat with my sweetie last night. Nothing serious. We talked it out, and I see that I haven't really been participating in much outside of this computer screen in a long time, and when she was asking me to do chores and stuff, it was because she actually did need help, it wasn't a test to see if I'd choose her over the computer. The worst of it seems to have flared up and resolved in about 3 days, but again, this has been a life-long struggle. The key for me I think is to get out of the house from time to time and talk to people. Sometimes an intelligent but meaningless conversation face-to-face with a friend, cashier, whoever can make the day a little brighter.

The other thing I forgot to write in the last post is that tyrosine is thought to be effective in battling various cravings. I just started so I can't report on that yet. Is there also a link between sterol, the wine cravings people have mentioned, and our bulging bellies?

I hadn't planned on trying to quit smoking again while going through all this, thought I'd wait and do one thing at a time. But the nicotine cravings have gotten so out of hand that I'm wearing the patch just so I can sit here long enough to type (no smoking in the house). I'm not going to worry over it if I keep smoking for a bit and just use the patch a few hours of the day so I can get things done, but at present rate it is really interfering with my basic duties. Does anyone else experience this? My guess is that my brain wants serotonin released, and it knows a good strong nictotine craving will get the job done every time I cave in.

Yes, I know smoking is really bad. Quitting smoking is really stressful though, not to mention the emotional stress we're all under coming off Lexapro. I just don't want to trigger a relapse onto worse things by taking it all on at once. I've really done well these last 4 and a half years and I don't much want to sleep on subways or have heart attacks again anytime soon.

Oh, man. A tear. Here come those touchy-feely emotions again. Maybe I'm a softie underneath and just didn't know it because I've either had legal or illegal chemicals blocking my true feelings for 20 years now...

Hi,

Just a note. Do NOT take Advil or Motrin if you are tapering off of Lexapro. It may feel like it is working because it is actually increasing the levels of the lexapro thru a drug to drug interaction in the cytochrome P 450 System.

You are defeating your purpose by tapering then taking Advil or Motrin which compete for the same emzymes in the liver causing a increase in the serum level of the Lexapro. Tylenol is fine.........but not advil or motrin while tapering.Same applies to caffeine.....avoid its use while on Lexapro or while tapering.

Many are unable to take B Vitamins for about a year after going off Lexapro due to a hy[eractive nervous system caused by the Lexapro. If loud noises scare you, scary movies make you anxious but yet these never bothered you before..............then this applies to you.
    You can get your B Vitamins from food fine.....................it is the synthetic version that messes with your system.

Noted and edited. And very much appreciated. Thanks yet again, Aunty. I didn't realize you could go back and edit a post, but you can. Changes made above.

Well I guess B vitamins are not for me right now, since scary movies now make me very nervous and anxious and never did before, loud noises scare the **** out of me. I can't believe it, a scary movie and the anticipation from it can actually send me into a full panic attack.

Wow this is so crazy I can't believe I have finally found people who experience what I experience. Just when you think no one will ever understand. I feel so good lately just knowing that I am not alone.

I thank you all.

Florence

NomoreLex is offline New Member

Hi, this is my second reply on this site and I am very glad that I found it! I am a 23 year old female and have been on anti-depressants for 5 years already.... I first took paxil then switched to zoloft then prozac, celexa, trazadone, risperidol and now I am on 20mg of Lexopro. I have taken these drugs for Depression/anxiety and I get really bad social phobia, when I was 18 and finally decided to get on medication my phobia/anxiety was really bad! I thought that people were laughing at me when they would laugh but I thought it was referred towards me. When I would sit in the passenger side in a vehicle I used to think just because the person in front of us is switching lanes means that I am ugly and wanted to get away from me. I used to do drugs such as meth/weed/Xtacy/acid I think all those drugs caused me to develop these mental problems [xx(]Now for the past couple of years I have been on lexapro, It helped me alot, I could actually go to the mall and I would'nt get nervous at all, and I would actually look forward in hanging out with my friends.

The reason as to why I am wanting to get off this med and any other med out there is because I have gained so much weight! I am known as the chubby girl! I know there are some people out there that would rather be "fat and happy" but I don't want to be as big as a house when I am 25!! I would exercise and I hardly ate, but the lexapro made my appetite so big that it would be hard to eat just 2 meals! my appetite was out of control and I have read alot on these forums that just scared the **** out of me! I am just hopeing, once I get off this Devil pill, I hope I don't get those anxiety attacks because I start school in a few months and I can't afford to just lay around!! Strange as it is, the past year everything seemed as a dream, like if everything wasn't real. I was so doped up on this lexapro that I haven't been able to acheive orgasm. I would also get dry mouth all the time and boy oh boy would I sweat ALOT in the summer! it wasnt natural!! I never sweat that much!

Now, I am tapering off this med, today I started taking 10 mg and plan to for the next month so my body can get used to that and then lower it to 5mg. This isn't the first time I tried getting off these horrid drugs. The other times I tried I ended up giving up because the withdrawls were so bad....sweats/brain zaps/ nausea/panic attacks, and all I wanted to do was lay down. I will keep comming on here to tell you all how I am doing. Best of luck to you guys

Nomore lex,

You can try from 20 to 10 Mg but that is a 50% drop and I am betting you will experience serious withdrawals in about a weeks time. You say that you are starting school............I am wondering if going slower would not be a wiser choice.

5 to 10% drops work best. If the 50% drop does not work out and you want to try the 10% drop and DO NOT have the liquid Lexapro that is available. I will explain a simple method.

Buy a 5 Ml syringe/dropper at the drug store. It's in the area where
    aids for giving children medicine is. They cost about $2

Now carefully measure out 20 Ml of cranberry Juice (or juice of your choice) in a small plastic measuring cup. The kind that is sometimes given with cough medicine.

Carefully crush your 20 Mg pill in the juice and mix well so that it is dissolved.
    You now mave 20 Ml of liquid with 20 Mg of lexapro.

Carefully measure out 2 Ml of this solution in your dropper and discard the 2 Ml down the drain. You now have 18 Ml of liquid containing 18 Mg of Lexapro. Take this 18 Ml of liquid and you have just reduced your lexapro dose by 10% which amounts to 18 Mg of lexapro.

It normally takes about 3 weeks to stabilize after the reduction. You will know when you are feeling back to normal. Then you can repeat the above process this time discarding 4Ml of the liquid so that you are down to 16 Mg of Lexapro.This method has worked for hundreds.

This is the safest method for getting off the Lexapro and by the gradual reducton, you are allowing the neurotransmitters in your brain to become readjusted to functioning with less of a serotonin reuptake chemical.

You can do the math and taper yourself off of Lexapro.It will take time to taper this way and as the dose gets lower you may need to reduce by 5%.

quote:Originally posted by auntybiotic

FOR WEIGHT LOSS,

Omega 3 Fish Oil Liquid, preferably by Carlson's would help the weight to come off and aid in helping mood swings........two for one...........and it is VERY safe.

aunty

exLex is offline New Member

[8)]

Glad to hear that others are experiencing the same symptoms I am. I am now on day seven off Lexapro. I was taking it for anxiety and panic attacks.....and was still having panic attacks, and have gained about thirty pounds since I have been on this stuff. I have NEVER had trouble with weight gain before, and in three years I have gained about four sizes in clothing....talk about depressing!! I expected the brain zaps....but have found that taking Fish oil really helps to lessen these, and Flax oil also. I am a little more moody than I like to be, but so far am able to control that. I took 10 mg per day for three years, switched to Cymbalta for a few months, and then back to Lexapro. I completely eliminated caffiene...and the panic has ceased! Hmmmmm.....I wonder why I didn't do this sooner. I have a medical background, and you would think I would have tried this to begin with....I suppose coffee-holics are in denial! I am hoping to see my weight return to at least close to normal. I am 155 pounds right now....and just three short years ago, I was 125. Unbelievable!! It is amazing how fast a doc will prescribe this stuff...I hope that the no caffiene will keep the panic attacks at bay...and that being off Lexapro will return me to a normal state of mind and body. It is amazing how my emotions are beginning to return also. I actually have feelings again....crying at commercials and stuff like that! LOL Lexapro has its purpose I am sure, but not for me! Anyone who might have any advice...please send it my way....oh yeah, has anyone experienced slurred speech since coming off Lex? I find it hard to enunciate sometimes....my mouth just doesn't want to form to the words at times? Waiting to hear from a fellow exLexer!!!! [)]

Hello exlex,

This is a great place to be when you are getting off the poison, I mean lexapro. Your story sounds just like mine only I went from 125 to 160 in a year and a half talk about depressing is right. I was getting treated for panic and anxiety also - NO depression, but I was getting depressed because of my weight gain. I fit into none of my clothes. I have never had a weight problem even after my kids. I always went back down to pre pregnancy weight within 4 to 6 months and at least you are over weight for a reason because you just had a baby. Not to mention the belly bulge it is so big, but I guess everyone gets that from the lexapro. I am on day 5 of being off totally and I have no anxiety (Thank God), but I do have the brain zaps and the moods, but nothing that can't be dealt with.

I am curious to see if the weight comes off and how long it is going to take. I just went to my natural doctor today and she gave me the omega-3 fish oil and a multi vitamin with everything in it so I will start with that. I haven't drank any caffeine in years so I don't have to worry about that.

I have also been crying at commercials and just anything that requires emotion. My son made a touchdown at his football game tonight and I cried. Talk about being embarresed, but I don't care it felt very emotional for me. It's like the excitement brought me to tears because I haven't felt anything emotionally the last year and a half. My libido has also returned, I am back to thinking about sex again and my husband is thrilled also before I could care less it was like a chore and I was never ever like that. well keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Be well,
    Florence

NotMyselfLately is offline New Member

[xx(][V][B)][:I]
    That pretty much sums up how I've been feeling these last few days.
    I am an ex Lexapro user who has finally today given in and decided I have no choice but to go back on the toxic drug, at least for a little while so I can wean myself off this time. I don't remember the dosage I was on or the exact last day I took it, but my best guess would be 20 mg. about a week ago. I stopped cold turkey. Stupid me, I knew better but did it anyways. Well, technically I didn't actually know because this was my first time on Lexapro, therefore my first time stopping it. But I have a history with these good ole' anti-depressants, SSRI's whatever your choice of label is. I've been on a few meds like Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Neurontin, Seroquel, Adderall and maybe a few more I don't remember.
    Here's my story:
    I'm 20, I was diagnosed with Major Depression at the age of around 14, but probably suffering from it since I can remember as a child. Been on again, off again with the meds until about 3 1/2 years ago when I had to get off everything cold turkey to join the US Army. Well I just got out of the Army and guess what . . . to no surprise, I am still depressed and now on top of that going through what I consider to be pretty moderate (meaning more then mild, but not deathly severe) withdrawal symptoms. I'm edgy, moody, crying one second for seemingly no reason, then laughing my fool head off for no apparent reason, my appetite is dwindling, my stomach feels upset to no avail, I have the infamous electrical jolts every few minutes or so, I'm dizzy as hell which is making me nauseous, which is making me feel sick, which is causing me to have these hot flashes, then get cold flashes, then be mad at myself for no reason, then I get frustrated at myself and at anything within a 20 ft. ppoximity of me at the time. Another thing that's weird is that I, while not proud of it, do consider myself a pretty dedicated smoker for the last few years, but for some reason I cannot even smoke a cigarette without feeling worse! Now that's pretty out there for me. One of my favorite passtimes since teenagerhood has been sleeping. Weather it's sleeping in or napping or sleeping all weekend, it's always been my trademark thing, well not lately, I can't sleep either!!! I'm home alone all day because I'm supposed to be on vacation, but can't enjoy it, my fiancee doesn't get it, he thinks I'm being a big whiney baby, I feel like something is wrong with me, I'm not myself, I feel weird and out of it, and I'm miserable. I just want a big hug . . . It's not like me to be this bad, actually I'm normally a pretty tough, strong, stubborn, go-getter type of person with the will power of an Ox, but look at me now . . . I'm a wreck. I hate this . . . I need some relief, I don't know what I;m going to do with myself. I don't know what I can do or take to find even a little relief besides going back on Lexapro.
    Man, I feel a little better now, I'm not suicidal, I just need something good to happen and one of these symptoms to go away . . . just one or maybe two, then maybe I could deal a little better. My neighbor came over this morning for coffee and joked that I'm acting like a >>>>>> addict who needs a fix . . . great, now my neighbors think I'm a crack addict. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!
    Someone have some hope or suggestions? Anything would help!!!! Thanks guys for listening, I think I'll try to relax a little now while I still can. BBL

exlex,

I've not heard of slurred speech being a symptom until now, but I'm not surprised, either. People with frontal lobe damage often have slurred speech. Speech is a function of the frontal lobes of the brain (at least as I understand it), which seem to be particularly hard-hit by withdrawal. Once your serotonin starts getting back to normal, it should clear up. Don't worry, your brain isn't damaged (hopefully). Your hardware is fine. But your software has a bug in it for the time being, so the hardware's trying to compensate.

notmyself,

Sounds to me like you've made a good decision. Don't beat yourself up. Just because you're going back on doesn't mean you'll have to take it forever. Be kind -- it sounds like you've been through enough already. This isn't a race to see who is strongest or who can bear the most symptoms. Everyone here is rooting for you, and I hope you start feeling better. Symptoms should disappear 36-48 hours after you're back on Lexapro, though it can happen sooner, too. Everything is exactly as it should be, and you're going to be just fine, okay?

NotMyselfLately is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by bodyelectric

notmyself,

Sounds to me like you've made a good decision. Don't beat yourself up. Just because you're going back on doesn't mean you'll have to take it forever. Be kind -- it sounds like you've been through enough already. This isn't a race to see who is strongest or who can bear the most symptoms. Everyone here is rooting for you, and I hope you start feeling better. Symptoms should disappear 36-48 hours after you're back on Lexapro, though it can happen sooner, too. Everything is exactly as it should be, and you're going to be just fine, okay?
    Thanks a lot for your support, it does help to know there are people out there who understand and care. I know I'll be OK eventually, it's just hard right now. Again, thanks . . . to you and to everyone.

jiyn is offline New Member

Day 14 - started taking several supplements a few days ago and am already feeling slightly more stable. Whether that's the supplements or just time, I don't know. My severe stomach cramps have died down quite a bit since I started using the Garden of Life Primal Defense that Aunty recommended. Also taking a liquid vitamin, mineral & fish oil. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Interesting thing...I am feeling less cravings, more fullness after smaller meals. And that bloaty, distended stomach is starting to go away too. I've been a big girl since puberty but I ballooned 40lbs since starting Lex. Goodness knows, I could use a break in the weight department. Hopefully, I will be able to do something about it now that I'm giving my body more of the vitamins & minerals that it needs. Here's to hoping!

Jiyn,

Glad that you are getting some relief.................give it time......you are on the right track.

Not Myself,

Once you start back on the Lexapro also begin vitamins, minerals, Fish Oil and Magnesium (for anxiety). Those should help you thru this.

Body Electric,

I have made you wings...........now I need to forward them to you to make you an official angel. Not only are you a tremendous help here with your countless hours of research...................
    you just saved someone's life on another forum. I know the tiredless hours you spent posting to help John................you are truly a special person.

My theory is that thatall the good one does comes back to you. Well Bodyelectric................get ready for a windfall. Just in case noone has thanked you recently.................THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I really appreciate all of your hard work and research.I am a loyal fan!! Hope youcontinue to feel better...you deserve it!!!!!!!

HUG
    aunty

Notmyselflately,

Here is a big hug for you ((((((HUGS))))))) Do what you have to do to feel better. Go back on the Lex if you have to and taper off slowly. We will be here for you. This is a great place to be when you are going through the withdrawel.

We are all here for you.

BE WELL,
    Florence

happy_again is offline New Member

Hello all!!!

15 days off lexapro. Two days ago I was so happy because my dissyness, brain zaps... where so few and sparsed during the day that I thought that finally things were getting back to normal... Guess I was wrong because yesterday it came back and today was another not so good day. However I have to say that the worst day ever was last Friday when I wasn't functional at all, couldn't even drive...

I guess most of you had had experience with other medications and were also on lexapro longer than my 5 mere months. I hate taking any kind of medications, pills, and even vitamins! So for me to decide to take it on the first place was because I was feeling really depressed. I had no motivation, all the things I usually enjoyed meant nothing for me, didn't want to eat... I needed some kind f boost...

Anyways, I decided today to talk a little bit about what went (goes) on with me with or without the lex.

(1) I also noticed that many people gained a lot of weight while taking it. I actually lost weight! Before taking it I already didn't feel like eating very much (not even chocolate appealed to me!!!). When I started taking the lex I felt less desire to eat whatsoever! It started to work on my depression by making me lose weight (not that I really needed, but those extra few lbs I shed made me look at myself in a different way). It's also funny because my roomate was also going through some problems, and lack of appetite and she talked to the same doctor and asked him to prescribe some other medication that would make her eat, since she saw that with lexapro I didn't feel like eating at all! Well, I'm not sure if she was lucky or not, but she didn't adjust to the other medication at all. She actually passed out after the first dose and was so scared to try a smaller dose that she simply gave up taking any kind of medication!

(2) exLex, I do have the slurred speech symptom!!! It is so funny at times because it feels like I have no coordination between thought and speech! It's not bad, but definitely it's not normal. My work involves a lot of thinking and reading and since I'm new (I just graduated and moved to where I am now) I meet new people everyday. At times it's hard to concentrate, to think on the problems I have to work on and I wonder if people who don't know me notice that I "speak funny". For me it feels like I speak funny...

(3) I've been meaning to say this for a long time but let me ask you all something first: have any of you been out to sea aboard a ship for more than a day? The reason why I'm asking this is because I have been on research vessels doing work at sea for a couple of times and the dizzyness, and brain zaps, blah, blah, blah feels like when you're on the ship on the first day and your body is adjusting to the balance, or actually the lack of balance... I usually don't take any medication prior to boarding because I don't get seasick too bad, but I know some people who simply can not adjust (even taking medication) and stay in bed the whole trip without being able to work at all!!!

(4) No anxiety or mood swings so far for me. But like tonight when I got home from work I was feeling a bit sad for feeling dizzy, and my heart was kind of beating fast and I just wanted my mom, or someone to take care of me. Unfortunately I don't know anyone well enough here to stay with me a little and my good friends are a 3hr drive away. I want to feel normal again... But I am still happy! My life here is so awesome that I should post a big note just with all the good things I've done here so far, and the people I met, and the nice things I hear from my friends... I know I'm on the way to be normal again... patience, patience... Just one more thing, I used to be a pretty anxious teenager wanting to do everything at the same time, always thinking "what if", "I should do this", "I should do that"... My counselor taught me that "what if" and "should" are the worse words/phrase one could treat onself with. what if --- so what if??? And why "should I" or "should I not"? I try to pay attention to that and think more "logical" about the ifs and shoulds.

(5) I didn't have any cravings but... coke (pepsi will do but I much rather have coke)!!! And no, it's not the caffeine because I have my strong black cofffe every morning (I don't really feel the effects of caffeine anymore, for the longest time...) but I think I crave the soda... the sparkling gaseous liquid! I can do pretty well without soda but I do have my craving periods, so this may have nothing to do with the withdrawal what so ever...

(6) There goes another crazy thing: did anyone notice an increase in zittis? Again, this may have nothing to do with lex, but I thought of asking anyways because I've been having more outbreaks and big, and painful. Not only on my face but my back too...

Ok I think I already wrote too much nonsense here. But thanks for being here and reading it![:I]

My face broke out a little bit last week, but it's gone now. Not my face, I still have that...you know what I mean...

Day 16 and no symptoms I notice except I'm still awfully touchy in the emotions department...both good and bad. It's really great to feel something, though self-righteous anger isn't something I want to get used to. Had a little burst of that earlier and got on my high horse, but it wasn't without provocation, so I guess that means I'm human. Not terribly proud of it, though. The anger, I mean...I like being a human.

TrishCA is offline Junior Member

BodyElectric,

Early this week, you wrote about loud noises. That is how my whole nightmare with zoloft/lexapro started on May 2002. I could not stand the music in any restaurant. In order to stay, we had to ask the manager to lower the music or else leave. I must add that I was under extreme stress from work, 2 kids (3 & 5), running the household, bills, remodeling, etc. (my husband travels during the week). At that time, I wasn't taking any meds or vitamins. During the week, I was eating pasta for lunch and macaroni n cheese (kraft) at 10:00 pm for dinner.
    One morning, I could not think anymore. I drove myself to the doctor crying. The Dr wrote a prescription for 2 months leave from work and zoloft. I was diagnosed with 2nd degree anxiety.
    After almost 3.5 years, I am on my 19th day free of Lexapro. My brain zaps are milder and milder. Moods are great unless I'm provoked . I'm religiously taking my vits/Min, 5HTP & Omega 3-6-9.
    I became ‘aware’ of the loud music feeling again when we went out to eat last week. I had a bellini to help me deal with it but I am so scared to go thru that all over again. Any thoughts?
    PS: Thank you for compiling the vitamins/suppl. list. I am convinced now that they make a great difference in keeping your body and spirit right.

Caffeine and vitamin B could be culprits, but my gut reaction is that there's something lingering in your past that makes you scared. What is behind the fear? Any ideas?

I'm not a professional, but a skilled therapist might help you get to the bottom of it. Anxiety is a disease, sure, but it comes from your brain, which is not just any old organ. Lots of things come into play.

There is actually quite a bit of science behind the vitamins and such. Even the crystal salt lamps. Sometimes reversing the magnetic field around a particular part of the body can draw attention from the immune system and cause an immune response. Magnets are now prescribed by doctors and have great results on things like broken bones that won't heal on their own. I don't know how the lamp would work unless you fashioned it into some kind of X-men helmet...or remember those umbrella hats? Who knows what it would do to the rest of the brain, though...

Trish,

You are missng one of the MOST IMPORTANT supplement.Magnesium.This will control anxiety and help the nervous system to heal.I would suggest magnesium malate or magnesium citrate taken to bowel tolerance.

Take double the recommended dose to start and every day add a pill until you get the runs. When that happens cut back to the dose prior to that happening, for exaple if you were taking 4 pills and were fine then added the 5th pill and got the runs.......your bowel tolerance would be 4 pills. Everyone is different.

Calcium is needed to with the magnesium but they CANNOT be taken together. Space calcium about two hours from magnesium.
    You will see a big difference in the nervous system "overload in about two weeks time". Good luck.

Another item that may help you is Bach's Flower Essence White Chestnut Drops taken prior to going out where there is loud music, 4 drops under the tongue, very safe, even children can use it as it is from a flower.....the essence.You can order online or at the Vitamin Shoppe..about $14 a bottle.

More on diet

[u]Avoid fat-free products at all costs.</u> Your body, especially now, needs fat. Especially in your brain. Besides, the fat that you eat does not become body fat. Sugar does. Plus who knows what they've added to those foods to make them taste half-decent to make them somewhat edible.

[u]Avoid the Atkins Diet at all costs.</u> Your body needs carbs for serotonin production. Plus protein hinders serotonin production. That's two strikes. This diet in particular can make us depressive/anxious types even worse off. If you want to try a diet that works, go with the so-called Mediterranean Diet. I say so-called because this is simply the diet that has worked for centuries in southern Europe, where people aren't fat and tend to live longer. There are plenty of web sites about it, no books to read or expensive foods to buy, with the exception of a good bottle of olive oil, which can be pricy.

to be culturally correct, the Near East and North Africa in addition to southern Europe...sorry about that...

And you might go easy on the omega-6. It's good for you, but the ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 is key. Too much omega-6 and the omega-3 can't do its job.