Lexapro and Pregnancy
    Griff1118 is offline New Member

Question Lexapro and Pregnancy

Hi.....I was wondering if anyone has taken Lexapro while pregnant? I have been taking Lexapro 20mg for 2 years now, prior to that I took Paxil for 5 years. My husband and I have decided to expand our family and I just don't know what to do. I was hoping someone on here may have some feedback.

Thank you

ymccormack is offline Member

I have never taken Lexapro but cut and paste the following paragraph from this website. If you decide to stop...you need to taper down slowly before getting pregnant.

If you decide your depression is too severe to stop, then you'll need to let your doctor know immediately and be prepared.

I really suggest you taper of the Lexapro unless you feel your depression is so severe that it warrants taking this risk. But that's just me talking!

Good Luck! Keep us posted!

FDA pregnancy category C. SSRI antidepressants may cause serious or life-threatening lung problems in newborn babies whose mothers take the medication during pregnancy. However, you may have a relapse of depression if you stop taking your antidepressant during pregnancy. If you are planning a pregnancy, or if you become pregnant while taking Lexapro, do not stop taking the medication without first talking to your doctor. Lexapro can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Do not give Lexapro to anyone younger than 18 years old without the advice of of a doctor.