Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dog Talker
  • 1 Post By daydreamer76
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Letting Robert Know Update on Taper
    Dog Talker is offline New Member

Unhappy Letting Robert Know Update on Taper

Hi Robert- hope all is fine-thanks again for your help and encouragement. I am now down to under 5mg of methadone/day. It seems really tough on my mind- not that I crave the drug-just hate the physical and mental mood suff more than I can say. Please tell me (only if it is true, of course) that my brain and the dark, depression will go away when the drug does- I have a hard time convincing myself that so little of a drug can make your mind so sad. Sorry if I sound like a whiner, but it is very lonely here, and encouragement is hard to come by. Hard to just not say "just give up" if I can't ever feel happy again. Thanks again-I will welcome any encouragement from anyone right now-hate being alone.
    Robert_325 likes this.

daydreamer76 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Talker View Post
    Hi Robert- hope all is fine-thanks again for your help and encouragement. I am now down to under 5mg of methadone/day. It seems really tough on my mind- not that I crave the drug-just hate the physical and mental mood suff more than I can say. Please tell me (only if it is true, of course) that my brain and the dark, depression will go away when the drug does- I have a hard time convincing myself that so little of a drug can make your mind so sad. Sorry if I sound like a whiner, but it is very lonely here, and encouragement is hard to come by. Hard to just not say "just give up" if I can't ever feel happy again. Thanks again-I will welcome any encouragement from anyone right now-hate being alone.
    i completley understand,i camr off methadone 3mths ago,and now tapering off of suboxone,the depression is not good,but getting better..u r not alone just remeber that,this forum >> here for you,its helped me soo much.whenever i feel alone,or just ready to throw in the towel i log on and read about others trial and tribulation..it helps not that i like reading about others struggling,i just know that there r others going through the same sh#&t i am...take care..and happy thoughts and prayers coming ur way!!hang in there
    Robert_325 likes this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Talker View Post

This is really when the methadone taper is the toughest. The medical community standard is reducing about 10-15% every 2-3 weeks if you don't want w/d symptoms. At 5mg that is only a taper of .75mg every couple weeks at the fastest. Any faster than that and you're going to feel badly.

I have all the respect in the world for people who can taper off methadone. I know that I kind of bad mouth it sometimes but this is the only reason. It's a great pain med for people who are on pain meds for life, it has good qualities and viable medicinal uses. But it's a toughy to taper from.

You are SOOO close don't stop now. I wouldn't switch to anything else I would ride it out. But take your time. What's the hurry? As addicts we want everything right NOW!! That's what got us here. Take your time and taper in as small of a quantity and as slowly as your body requires.

Know you can do it and don't give up before the miracle happens in your life. Hang in there my friend. This would be a great time to pray if you are so inclined. I do it every day. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-31-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    GiGiLee58 likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.