Klonopin Vs Valium for "As Needed, In case of emergency"?
    Crista128 is offline New Member

Question Klonopin Vs Valium for "As Needed, In case of emergency"?

I have severe panic disorder with agoraphobia.

I take Klonopin, 1 mg 2x a day on a schedule. I can take up to 4x a day, but I've never taken more than 3, and that was a handful of times in like 6 years.

I have a very stressful situation coming up this weekend.
    From Thurs night to Sun afternoon, my mom is going to FL for a wedding (I'm in NYC).
    I have a whole bunch of issues with this because my safety person is leaving, and the last time my mom went on vacation my brother died so I have trauma with it.

My doctor gave me 10mg tabs of Valium.
    I tried it this afternoon, I took 1/4 (2.5mg) slept for 3 hours, and now I'm fairly calm - my mind is moderately calm, my body is VERY calm lol

My question is this - some people are saying that "in case of emergency" I shouldn't take the Valium, I should just take extra Klonopin because it works faster and is stronger.

Any thoughts? 1mg Klonopins vs 10mg Valiums?
    I'd still be taking my 2x a day scheduled Klonopin either way.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Neither is really stronger than the other. Valium has a longer half life (up to 50 hours or more) than klonopin (about 36hours give or take a few hours) so the effects last a little longer with the valium is all. They are both used for general anxiety disorder. Valium has the longest half life of all benzos, but klonopin is second with a long half life as well. Don't freak out about this. You're stressing out over nothing major.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

tjohnson92389 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crista128 View Post
    I have severe panic disorder with agoraphobia.

I take Klonopin, 1 mg 2x a day on a schedule. I can take up to 4x a day, but I've never taken more than 3, and that was a handful of times in like 6 years.

I have a very stressful situation coming up this weekend.
    From Thurs night to Sun afternoon, my mom is going to FL for a wedding (I'm in NYC).
    I have a whole bunch of issues with this because my safety person is leaving, and the last time my mom went on vacation my brother died so I have trauma with it.

My doctor gave me 10mg tabs of Valium.
    I tried it this afternoon, I took 1/4 (2.5mg) slept for 3 hours, and now I'm fairly calm - my mind is moderately calm, my body is VERY calm lol

My question is this - some people are saying that "in case of emergency" I shouldn't take the Valium, I should just take extra Klonopin because it works faster and is stronger.

Any thoughts? 1mg Klonopins vs 10mg Valiums?
    I'd still be taking my 2x a day scheduled Klonopin either way.
    Well, first off, i want to let you know, i know the feeling, and it severely sucks. Lol, im personally on Ativan and have been for about a year.

I personally would suggest Valium for instant anxiety relief, i've taken just about all of them and Klonopin has ALWAYS worked best for me for a preventative, cause it lasts forever, and valium has ALWAYS been the best "as needed" benzo. I work with pharmacists every day(im a pharmacy technician) and they tell me(i ask a lot of questions) that valium is usually used for post-op procedures, and to calm nerves for MRI's, or CT scans, or XRAY's.

All in all, they both work really well, if you want my opinion.

I'd stick with the valium for instant relief, and the klonopin for ER relief.

disabledleo is offline Member

Default In my opinion

Crista128
    You said it yourself that the valuim WORKED & you were calm. So my ?? for you is why ? things that seem to work..? I have been on both & I had to get off the long acting meds because I was waking up feeling hung over from the length it stayed in your system & I was switched to xanax because I need something to kick in & do the job ASAP & not linger to make me feel bad in the working. The xanax is like asking for a voodoo rx but my doctor understands my situation & is doing everything to try & help me.
    I've been on all of the choices & the xanax seems to work the best for me but tolerance is a problem & rather quickly so I have to play around with the dosing to keep it working..
    Just talk to your doctor & see what he/she thinking is best for you. I am written enough to take some during the day which I stay away from unless I feel an attack coming on but usually keep them for bedtime.

kevinb529 is offline New Member

Klonopin's potency is greater than that of Valium (0.5mg Klonopin same as 10mg Valium). But, in the case of an emergency. Valium is a better choice. Valium begins to work in 15-30 minutes; Klonopin is more slowly absorbed and peaks in 1-4 hours after taking a dose.

JEM
    JEM is offline New Member

Hi Crista128,

Short response: Have potential for identical outcome with regard to having one for 'as-needed use' or 'in case of emergancy'. To ensure the best potential for this purpose, consider:
    1) The equivalent dosage of diazepam or clonazepam is used, since dosages differ for the same result.
    2) The form of the medication in terms of 'immediate-release', 'standard-release', or 'sustained release'
    3) The manufacture. Despite to brands submitting equivalent forms, brands nevertheless provide pills
    that have different consistencies (leading to further variation with time of absorption & onset), different inactive ingredients, etc. that can influence response. Experimentation might be necessary.

As a result of severe anxiety, panic attacks, and a later severe onset of multiple sclerosis--I have been prescribed & cycled through benzodiazepines for 12 years now. Through cycling Diazepam (Valium), Clonazepam (Klonipin), & Alprazolam (Xanax), roughly equal time has been spent using each (Lorazepam, i.e. 'Ativan', used on occasion for additional sedation when needed). First, each medicine is available in various forms and through a variety of manufactures--thereby making any one of the medicines vary in experience. Overall, I found long acting Xanax to be the most physically addictive as well as increasing the frequency of anxiety experienced. Consistent with other comments, I have found Valium to be ideal for 'as needed' relief from anxiety, and sublingually, the pills break down and act quicker; Valium also has a few additional benefits along with less risks comparatively. Clonazepam has less manufacturers providing sub-lingual friendly pills--though the brand name is a good option. It does tend to have a longer duration. Clonazepam IS a more potent benzodiazepine than Diazepam pound for pound, but when the proper equivalent is worked out, the effects of these two in particular have been no different in my experience and is argued differences are more likely personal preference rather than widespread differences in body chemistry.