i am in need of methadone!
    Melkm is offline New Member

Default i am in need of methadone!

I am a single mother of 3 children, 2 of which are 2 year old twins and have suffered from chronic severe back pain for 10 years. Have gradually become addicted to opiates. I was a patient of my local pain management center until my nephew stole my meds twice and was kicked out. Since then I have obtained them from the "streets" and can no longer afford my addiction. I have taken up to 40 5mg of vicodin in one day on numerous occasions. I was taking between 200 and 300 mg oxycontin daily for a couple months. I know it is way out of hand - my fear is not the withdrawal, I have been through it, it is definately no fun. My fear is the pain I am still left with. I do not have a methadone clinic in my area and I have no health insurance. Is it wise to go to my local health department and admit to the doctor my addiction and just come out and ask for methadone?

ChrisNev is offline Junior Member

Methadone is a means of quitting >>>>>> abuse, not for relieving chronic pain. And as you say, if there are no local clinics in your area, the option may not be available anyways. Not to mention you would have to deal with the stigma of waiting in line every day with serious drug addicts. And you also have to do a drug test and prove that you were previously taking >>>>>> before you can even become eligible to join the clinics program.

If you really need painkillers to treat chronic pain, and not to just get high and avoid withdrawal, then I would seek another pain management practice. Or any general physician.

I also currently do not have health insurance as I am self employed, and I am in an income gap. My income is not low enough to be eligible for Medi-Cal, yet not high enough to pay for individual insurance out of my own pocket which doesn't even cover current conditions.

I would try to apply for Medi-Cal if your total household income is less than $35k a year and you don't have a lot of assets.

Your state/area may have other insurance plans that you don't even know about, plans that cover people who have higher income. But they usually keep these programs hush hush so that they don't have too many people using up the tax dollars.

Dont even consider Methadone as an option. Only for >>>>>>/cocaine/crack addicts who need it for parole and to avoid being felons.
    Last edited by ChrisNev; 02-18-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Melkm is offline New Member

In the area which I live, methadone clinics are not just for >>>>>> addicts. I know people who are opiate addicts and go to the clinic for methadone without ever touching >>>>>>. I was prescribed methadone at one time by my pain management doctor and it is used for chronic pain. I have experience with every pain med there is and I am telling you methadone is the only one that worked without making me feel high or like I was going to fall asleep behind the wheel of a car. The nearest pain management center is 50 miles from here and with no insurance, even if it was next door I could not afford to go.

sinrboy is offline New Member

Smile

Melkm:

First and foremost, you DO NOT HAVE TO ONLY TEST POSITIVE FOR >>>>>>E to be admitted into a Methadone Maintenence program!!! You do however have to test positive for opiates when you go in for your evaluation, and have to be addicted to opiates for at least 1 year, and you need to be in mild withdrawal. But, that is netiher here nor there considering you don't have a Methadone treatment facility in your area.

Methadone is used for pain also, because it is really cheap and since all the fuss over Oxycontin many physicians are prescribing Methadone. In my opinion these doctors need to really be more educated prescribing this drug, because it is a very powerful narcotic with a long half life. Folks with a low tolerance to opiates may overdose on this because they take it as other short acting opiates like hydrocodone. After a few hours they don' feel the effects of the drug, so they think they can take more. Methadone can last 24-36 hours, and can cause toxicity if you aren't titrated up to a higher amount. But, anyway it is used for pain.

As for you asking your local healh department, that will do NO GOOD! 99% of physicians aren't allowed to prescribe Methadone for "ADDICTION!" Tey only way hey can prescribe it for pain is if they take a special course, and have to be licensed by the government. Now, that isn't true if it is prescribed for pain. They only places I am aware that you can get OBOT (Office Based Opiod Treatment) is in New York City and Baltimore, Maryland. So, in any event that isn't going to work for you. I am a MMT patient, and I have to drive several hours each week to receive my treatment, and I know many folks who travel out of state to get their treatment. It is sad, because we need to make MAT (Medication Assisted Treatment) more available!

What I do suggest you try is, Subutex/Suboxone treatment. It really isn't the best when it comes to your pain, but from what I gathered you wanted relief from your addiction. Suboxone (buprenorphine) can be prescribed by regular physician's (usually psyciatrists.) I would suggest this beofer Mehadone anyway for addiction. Methadone should be only a last resort in my opinion after you have ried everything else. The reason I say this is because Methadone is VERY STRICTLY REGULATED, and can become a hassle until you have earned your take home status.

Anyway, hope this helped you alittle and I wish you nothing but luck on your endeavor

Godbless:

~Sinrboy~

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

I agree with everything Sinrboy said and would also like to add that methadone is not in anyway shape or form ever prescribed for cocaine or methamphetamine abuse/addiction.
    People who make statements like that only cause confusion and stigma.Educate yourself before you give out info please........Dave

vduda is offline Member

Chris,

I think you need to get your facts straight. In short, your advice is pretty eroneous at best. Your right that Methodone was preceively used to help individuals addicted to >>>>>>e tapper off. Unfortunatly, the experts soon realized that Methadone was much more addicting than >>>>>>e. Nowadays, Methadone has several different applications. Just trying to get the accurate facts out. Don't take it personal. By the way Methodone is not used to help individuals with addiciton to cocaine or amphetamine. It used in the area of opiate associated problems, including treatment of chronic pain. God Bless
    Last edited by vduda; 02-19-2008 at 12:32 PM.

nwill is offline New Member

I wonder, where do you live?

Soft suggestion - Move to Wisconsin, that state has Badger Care and you are eligalbe. It will provide you and your family with health insurance and free methadone from clinics. Stay away from Milwaukee central city, too violent.

SophiesChoice is offline New Member

I live in Ohio and have chronic pain and get Methedone from a family Doctor,.before my other FD retired he gave it to me too, maybe my situation is different I dont know.

skybug is offline New Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Melkm View Post
    I am a single mother of 3 children, 2 of which are 2 year old twins and have suffered from chronic severe back pain for 10 years. Have gradually become addicted to opiates. I was a patient of my local pain management center until my nephew stole my meds twice and was kicked out. Since then I have obtained them from the "streets" and can no longer afford my addiction. I have taken up to 40 5mg of vicodin in one day on numerous occasions. I was taking between 200 and 300 mg oxycontin daily for a couple months. I know it is way out of hand - my fear is not the withdrawal, I have been through it, it is definately no fun. My fear is the pain I am still left with. I do not have a methadone clinic in my area and I have no health insurance. Is it wise to go to my local health department and admit to the doctor my addiction and just come out and ask for methadone?

It angers me to hear people talk about something without knowing the FACTS. I was on methodone and it is used for opiate addiction, not cocaine or any other drug, infact, if you are a polysubstance addict then you will more than likely be turned down to get on methodone because it is a dangerous drug to mix with other drugs. The Clinic I went to had strict guidelines and I was drug tested regularly. If anyone had dirty urines, they were given a chance to clean up and if they didn't then they were detoxed quickly and released as a patient. I have a back problem but to be honest I'm not sure if the methodone helped it that much, although I have heard of it being used for pain, but NEVER for any other addiction but opiate. I switched from methodone to suboxone almost a year ago and it was the best thing I ever could have done. I do have insurance though and it pays for my suboxone. The only advise I can give is to go to a government funded outpatient drug treatment facility and see what type of resources they can offer you, or maybe they can direct you to someone that can help you. I wish you well, and I will keep you in my prayers.