Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By cowboyfan21
  • 1 Post By Gottafeelnormal
  • 1 Post By shybaybe2003
  • 1 Post By grip
  • 1 Post By cowboyfan21
I am desperate to quit my addiction to Hydrocodone and Xanax?
    cowboyfan21 is offline New Member

Default I am desperate to quit my addiction to Hydrocodone and Xanax?

I am a 33 year old father and husband. For the last 5 years, I have been taking hydrocodone , because I have back problems. As well as xanax, because I do get panic attacks. I have come to the conclusion that life is just getting worse by continuing these drugs. I am desperate to quit taking these things. Every time I take one just function normally, I get sad at the realization of what my life has come to. I was recently let go from my job, because of downsizing, and no longer have health insurance. So now I have resorted to procuring these pills illegally. I am desperate to quit. I live in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area of Texas. Does anybody have any recommendations on how I may seek assistance in freeing myself from the dependance on these pills.
    PeterRabbit2 likes this.

Gottafeelnormal is offline New Member

Default Starting my battle this weekend

I am a 30+ year old male, I have been using/taking oxycodone everyday for over 18 months. Started as a recreational "feel good" drug, that occasional use became a 3-4 pill a day habit doubling quickly. I have recently been up to 20+ 30mg pills in a 24 hour period of time. I can't let this horrible drug kill me. I have read all your posts and feel for those that have gone through the withdrawal process. I have tapered up and down got myself back down to 4 pills in a 24 hour day but then relapsed back up to 10-12 about 1 per hour. Usually sniffing but will wake up and take 2 pills orally just to get back to sleep. Constant struggle with this but I've never IV'd so I'm hoping this "Thomas method" will help. I have everything I need, currently on disability from a car crash(rear ended by a drunk driver) so time is not an issue but I need to get off this medication before it does me in. I realize I've spent thousands of $ on the street above and beyond the # of pills Ive been prescribed since the accident because the medication quickly becomes tolerated and the same feeling takes twice as much medication than it did the day before. I'd like to back in time and prevent this "medication" from ever being invented but since that is impossible I am going to have to get off this nasty stuff the "hard" way. I actually got clean for about 10 days using a small amount of methadone (15-20 mg) and a couple mg of benzos for 4 days but relapsed in a very stupid way. I just needed to get this out there, so I can see my own words and hope I can find the willpower and mental strength to get through this. I feel so trapped in the cycle of waking up and needing 6+ pills just to get up and get going it really sucks. If anybody has any advice to add to all the wonderful posts it is greatly appreciated though I doubt anything can be said that hasn't already been posted. You just gotta do it cause " I gotta feel normal" without the prescription pills and I'm on a one way road to an early coffin and I can clearly see that. Please pray for me to succeed in this very personal battle that must be won else my life be destroyed. Thanks for reading and good luck to all those who are going through their own war with this ????.- sincerely Gottafeelnormal
    PeterRabbit2 likes this.

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

my only advice is to just jump in head first. It will be very hard, yo umay feel your dying or going nuts, but it WILL get better. Since your on xanax, you may want to talk to your doc first before completely stopping that. Ill brief you quickly on my story. I have been on these forums for over two years. Unable to get clean. I started out just using vics, but it escalated to vics, soma, ativan, alcohol, and sometimes dilaudid and morphine. Need less to say i went from bad to worse real fast. My turning point was when My mom and 3 year old son found me passed out in my bed, unable to wake me and I was seizing, which wasnt the first time. I quit everything at once, Which may not have been the best idea to be honest. If i could have, i would have went into a detox center, but i was unable to. THE WORST withdrawal i had ever experienced. But i got thru it. 12 days later i feel great. We just have to really want this and then just do it.I really hope everything works out for u. Your not alone that is for sure.
    cowboyfan21 likes this.

grip is offline Member

The first 3-5 days are the worst so here is what I did.

I took my last dose at 12:00pm. I awoke the next day at 6am and went 23hrs till 11:00pm the following evening and took 2 hydros and 1 benzo (xanax, valium, ativan, etc) then 30 minutes later I ate something, took a hot bath and slept 6hrs till 6am. Went 23hrs again then took 1 hydro and 1 benzo at 11:00pm then ate, hot bath and slept 6hrs. Did the same thing 2 more days and then only took one benzo at bedtime for the next few days. Those 24hr breaks really help stop the body from getting wore out by the continuous detox effect. I've done cold turkey and though the taper can be longer it's much easier.

The first 24hrs were by far the worst and though the rest wasn't easy if you can make the first 24 the rest is very possible. Good luck I'm praying for you.
    cowboyfan21 likes this.

cowboyfan21 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    The first 3-5 days are the worst so here is what I did.

I took my last dose at 12:00pm. I awoke the next day at 6am and went 23hrs till 11:00pm the following evening and took 2 hydros and 1 benzo (xanax, valium, ativan, etc) then 30 minutes later I ate something, took a hot bath and slept 6hrs till 6am. Went 23hrs again then took 1 hydro and 1 benzo at 11:00pm then ate, hot bath and slept 6hrs. Did the same thing 2 more days and then only took one benzo at bedtime for the next few days. Those 24hr breaks really help stop the body from getting wore out by the continuous detox effect. I've done cold turkey and though the taper can be longer it's much easier.

The first 24hrs were by far the worst and though the rest wasn't easy if you can make the first 24 the rest is very possible. Good luck I'm praying for you.
    Thank you so much. I realy do want to quit. It sucks knowing that I will not feel normal unless I have that pill in my system. I will try this starting today. I do have enough to begin the taper, I just needed advice on how to do so. This has been tough. My wife doesnt understand, because she has never been through it, and thinks I should be able to quit with the snap of the fingers, but it does not work that way. The pain can be unbearable.
    grip likes this.

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyfan21 View Post
    I am a 33 year old father and husband. For the last 5 years, I have been taking hydrocodone , because I have back problems. As well as xanax, because I do get panic attacks. I have come to the conclusion that life is just getting worse by continuing these drugs. I am desperate to quit taking these things. Every time I take one just function normally, I get sad at the realization of what my life has come to. I was recently let go from my job, because of downsizing, and no longer have health insurance. So now I have resorted to procuring these pills illegally. I am desperate to quit. I live in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area of Texas. Does anybody have any recommendations on how I may seek assistance in freeing myself from the dependance on these pills.
    I can recommend under the pretext that this is not advice and must be deferred to a doctor or other healthcare professional.

I can say with 99% certainty that you can quit hydrocodone (a narcotic analgesic) cold turkey without any real danger, such as seizure or cardiac arrest. Not to say that these are not vanishingly possible. Please consult you doctor BEFORE attempting a sudden cessation of hydrocodone! He/she may find that unwise.

I can also say with a high degree of certainty that Xanax (a benzodiazepine) CANNOT be suddenly stopped safely. There is a high risk of seizure and in the worst case, death from the sudden withdrawal of Xanax. Again, please consult a healthcare professional.

That's about all the advice I can give. Please talk with your doctor. I would not be surprised if the first thing your doctor does is switch you from a super short acting anti-panic drug (Xanax) to a super long acting anti-panic agent (Klonopin or Valium).

Your doctor may also want you to gradually reduce your dose of narcotics or switch you from a short acting one (hydrocodone) to a long acting one (methadone).

Your problem may be simply that you are *chasing* pain and anxiety with short acting drugs where long acting ones may be called for.

Potential problem: Patient is on short acting medications and experiencing inter-dose withdrawal.
    Potential solution: Patient should be given the LONGEST acting medications in the same respective drug classes.

Again, I am not a doctor and this in intended only as a mental exercise. For advice specific to your situation, please consult a doctor or Pharmacist.

Good luck my friend.
    Peter

grip is offline Member

Hang in there cowboy I'm very sure you won't die and will feel normal again without pills. You'll learn to deal with the back pain in better ways. Ice packs, ibuprofen, naprox and even 4-5 days of prednisone can do wonders. I have the same problem.

Tell your wife you're sorry and never meant for this to happen. She'll be happy when she see's the old you come back. Be determined and use the taper plan but you might want to let your body and mind heal for awhile before you quit the benzo's. They're a tough nut to quit in there own right. You're going to be alright trust me lots of people are going through the exact same thing every day here.

Try listening to music that inspires you and watch some movies you like. It all helps keep your mind occupied and your spirits up. Even some short walks will help with endorphin production. Stay positive and keep us up to date occasionally when you feel like it. You're new life has only just begun

Granny37 is offline New Member

Post I'm in the same predicament!

Hi Cowboy and others that can help!

I to suffer from back pain and panic attacks and depression. I am on the Hydrocodone, 5mg. as needed, for the above, along with Wellbutin, which isn't helping me at all. I have been on higher doses 10mg. 4 x D, about 8 months ago, back pain got better and have slowly been getting off of the pain medication. I also have been taking Robaxin, 500mg. 3 to 4 times a day for the muscle spasms in my back. I had cut that down to twice a day, sometimes less with both of them.

The Xanex ER, 1mg. I take 1 in the morning, as it's longer lasting, then around 1 P.M., the 1 mg., not long lasting and the last one before I go to bed. They aren't helping me at all. I had been on 1 mg. of Klonopin for many years, 1mg. 4 times a day and the panic attacks were not helping at all, switched to Ativan, 1mg. 3 to 4 times a day, it didn't seem to be any better, that's when my therapist decided we would try Xanex again, it's not doing as good as the others. She wants me to go on Zoloft, which I took 16 yrs. ago for depression and swore I would never take it again. Several doctors in the past couple of years have wanted me on a anti-depressant to help the panic attacks and I don't want to start it again. It did help, but I had to go off it cold turkey, due to high blood gas test. She wanted me to start 5mg. once or twice a day (don't have it in front of me to know) then see her in one month to see how I am doing?

My anxiety has gotten so bad, I sometimes just have to go to bed in the afternoon, cover up my head and try and go into a deep sleep to escape my nerves. I can't go shopping by myself, as I get to overwhelmed with decisions and being in the store alone. My security is my home, which is not good.

My marriage of 49 yrs. is in deep trouble, as the affair that my husband had 23 yrs. ago is being played back in my mind and I wish that I had left then. I don't know why that's happening? Maybe it's because the grandchildren are all grown now and I was putting a lot of my time in with them and I didn't have to think so much. He's also retired, so we are in each other's face so much. This is adding to my anxiety and depression, as I'm not sure I even love him anymore, want to possibly leave and am scared to death to made that jump. He keeps trying to make it work and I am living a lie, as I just want to disappear somewhere and not have to deal with it. Was seeing a psychologist, but have to find a new one, as she's no longer in our network.

I have never felt so disconnected with life, don't care if I get dressed, what I look like, especially since I've lost 75% of my hair in the past 9 months and have to wear a wig now. That's really discouraging to look in the mirror and see your scalp, talking about depression. I'm only 67 and have to wear a wig? I can't find out why I've lost so much hair so quickly, it was always thin, but this is really bad.

I have really cut back on the pain medication and muscle relaxers, but sometimes will take one of them, just to sleep and forget the emotional pain and panic attacks. I'm in a mess and scared to death, as I don't know what the future holds for me, don't enjoy life and everyday is one that I can't get back.

In regards to you tapering off from the pain medication, I did it slowly, down from 10mg. to 5, then cut them into 2.5mg. and did this over a weeks time and got off of them. But the pain came back full force, due to the arthritis and am now back on 5mg. twice a day. My doctor, then started me on prednisone for the arthritis and I feel like I'm jumping out of my skin and can't seem to function. It's making me more depressed, shaky and anxious. I don't think I will take it anymore.

I'm sorry if this seems so dis-jointed, but that is how my life feels right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Granny37

My pain level is between a 5 to 8 at some points and can never lean over without severe pain.
    Last edited by Granny37; 05-30-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: pain level

christy0010 is offline New Member

Default How to quit

Let me start by saying I am a recovering >>>>>> addict.This was a drug that completely took control of my life in 2001.I used it everyday all day and could not see my life without it.Now on March 3 2011 because of my drug use I had 6 strokes and had to learn to talk and walk again.When I came to in the hospital 2 months later I still was craving it as crazy as that sounds.It has taking me 8 months to just get over the cravings.Now on Nov 19 2011 because of my abuse I had to have open heart surgery and once again I was put back on opiates.After the heart surgery my heart still was not working right so they had to put in a pacemaker.Now I am home and for the first time I am scared of my addiction once again, they put me on norco.It has been since Christmas Eve the last time I took anything and I find myself in the same situation again I am in a lot of pain but if I can beat >>>>>> I can do this the mental part of addiction is the worst part of it.I think if you just make up your mind your done you can beat this,I will be miserable for at least 2 weeks but if you are strong enough to take chances by get them off the streets which is dangerous in its self you can quit.It will be the hardest thing you will probably do in your life and staying sober will be the next but it can be done.

4ME4ONCE is online now Junior Member

Default Just supporting you...

I am no expert in this, but I'm just posting in support of your decision to get off the pills if you can! I just made a full ON committment and had a little "ceremony" yesterday afternoon with my friends there and 'ruined' my medication by mixing it with dirt and water and burying the box...so the pills are 'soaking' in mud. Just make up your mind to put the hydrocodone down and go for it. I won't lie...I feel like "poop" and believe you me...the thought of digging up that box has crossed my mind a couple times just to "see" if I could "save" any of them...but that never works for me...the taper down thing...I just have to jump in and go for it full on and deal with what happens. Only you know what you can do and what you can tolerate. I just wanted to wish you luck...and offer support. Do you really want to take the addiction with you into a new year?

Anonymous Guest

Please look up Thomas Recipe......it HELPS!