Hydrocodone Acciction - I live in a third world country
    Nejevoli is offline New Member

Default Hydrocodone Acciction - I live in a third world country

Hello everyone. I have been reading a ton of your posts and topics. You are very supportive and helpful and have already helped me.

I live in a third world country where Hydrocodone is available over the counter in Pharmacies on every corner. I have been on 7.5/325s for about 8 months and I take anywhere from 10-15 per day, usually 8 in the morning and starting about noon, I'll chew up 1 or 2 every hour or so until about 3 or 4 in the after noon. Last Saturday I was preparing for a long flight to a week long meeting in another country. I took my last Hydros at 2pm (I believe I took 10-12 that day). I woke up at 2 am vomiting and very sick. It wasn't drug related, I had a bacterial infection (sinus, ear & eye). I held off the Hydros until I took three at 4:30pm and three more at 5:30pm on Sunday. I have been sick ever since. Monday & Tuesday I took 7-8, mostly in the evenings to be able to sleep. I am having a hard time sleeping. Tuesday morning at 2:30 am, I woke up to vomit and there was some blood. That scared me. I came out and my wife was awake. I immediately told her everything (before I lost the courage). We had a rough night and next morning. I made the decision right then to quit and asked her to help me. We were going back and forth about whether to taper or cold turkey. I have a very important meeting next week with a lot of guys coming in at great expense, so I need to be able to function that week. After that, I can lay low until late November.

I started my taper yesterday. My wife is the pill dispenser. I took 5 yesterday; 2 at 11:30 am and 3 at 7pm. I slept for 6 hours last night, the most I have had since last Friday night. I am giving up all access to cash and credit cards. I will keep one credit card that she has online access to so she can make sure I don't visit a Pharmacy.

The plan is to taper as follows. 5 per day for three days, 4 per day for three days, 3 per day for 3 days, 2 per day for 3 days and 1 per day for 3-7 days. I realize that we need to make a decision ahead of time on that 1 per day schedule. After that, I will go to a lab every couple of weeks for a urine test. I believe that will give me some accountability.

What do you guys think? Even though I feel pretty badly already, I am thrilled that my wife knows (and now my best friend who lives in the US in my home town). Having her love, support, & help is incredible. She truly cannot understand how I got to this point or what it is like, but is being very positive & supporting.

I am taking the advice of someone in another post, "decide you are done with the drugs and make up your mind to stop, no matter what." That is where I am. I can't wait to be done with the taper and the WD days that follow.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your help and support. It is wonderful to be able to share with people who truly understand. I appreciate you!

Nejevoli
    Last edited by Nejevoli; 10-15-2009 at 11:48 AM.

Default Btw...

I will journal my WDs in case it will help anyone in the future. Should I post that journal on here? I also want to have a record of what I go through so I can read it on difficult days post detox as a reminder of how horrible it was.

I didn't mention this, but I have very small children and no family within a few thousand miles. I believe the detox process is going to be very difficult for my wife raising our children with no help and helping me as well.

IfItDoesTheTrick is offline Junior Member

Default Past experience

Hey there,

Before I got surgery I wanted to not be on any large pain meds. I went from taking oxycontin to six months later taking vicodin. I stayed on the vicodin for awhile just to take some of the edge off (obviously I was in a lot of pain if I needed the spinal fusion) about three months before the surgery I came off them. I feel that you taper schedule is a little drastic. Depending on how long you have been taking them the withdrawal symptoms can last a long time and the mindset sometimes never goes away in certain people. I know people that cut cold turkey and the feel crazy and cant function socially. I would say that if you are wanting to quit you are going to just have to have will power and the help of loved ones.

If it were me, as it was, I cut my dose to ten 7.5/ day and stayed there for awhile just to get over the other drugs I cut. My taper lasted about a month because I was a little more realistic with myself. You should cut your dosage by a small percentage week by week is what I was told. for harder pain killers they say ten milligrams a month. With vicodin I would say try to maybe cut back you daily dosage by a pill a week or more if you can, but when you get down to two or three I would stay there for a bit to level off so that way you wont get sick. This might help you avoid the horrible withdrawal syptoms where you feel like your skin is crawling and you just want to kick your legs around and go nuts, but you just cant move. Trust me that feeling you will never forget. I was stuck in a huge airport once going through this and it is burned in my mind.

Once you are down to just a couple a day Start breaking them into smaller pieces. If you can still only take two or three but only 3/4 of the pill. Eventually you will be able to just take half a pill twice a day and then 1/4 a pill twice a day.

The hardest step would be going to one a day, or none, that is why I recommend still taking it twice but cutting them smaller and smaller until you are taking just about nothing. Soon you wont need it, especially if you're not in pain.

Be very careful that you don't develop another fixation, especially if you have an addictive personality. Many people I know started drinking or doing something else that was detrimental to their health when trying to cut pills out of their lives.

Good Luck! Seriously. If their is anything I can say or do to help let me know. But remember my advice is just based on my personal experience not licensed advise.

Default Your advice...

Thanks for your advice and support. I see your point. I guess I am just SO ready to be through with this that I wanted to do it as fast as possible without going cold turkey. I will certainly consider your advice, especially at the one per day level. It does make sense to cut it in half and take it twice per day. I think I will alter my schedule a bit to stretch it out and go slower.

What do the rest of you think?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Nejevoli .... I think that plan you devised sounds reasonable to begin with. You have to start somewhere. See how it works for you and then go from there.

If you have too many problems then we can make some adjustments as you go forward. But we're all a little different so the main thing is actually to GET STARTED IMMEDIATELY. Sounds like you've got a really good attitude about this and that is critical.

You'll realize one way or the other really quickly if you're being realistic and if things are working. So just go for it and see how you feel after 3-4 days. You'll be in my prayers my friend. Don't hesitate to let me know what I can do to help you. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 10-15-2009 at 12:32 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Default Thanks Robert!

Thanks Robert. I was really hoping you would chime in. I have read countless posts from you to others. Thanks for this advice. I believe that I need to go ahead and create a backup plan with my wife so if we see that mine is too aggressive, she can make the call and implement it. I would be prone to initiate the back-up plan out of discomfort. She has forced herself to be somewhat emotionally detached, which I think will be very healthy if I start trying to manipulate her. I am pretty good at that and she knows it.

I had no idea it was going to mean so much to have you guys helping me through this.

Default Update

Ok, I should have posted yesterday, but it seemed like it wasn't worth it.

Two days ago, I began my taper plan. It seemed a little drastic, but my wife and I decided to try it and adjust if necessary (my plan is listed in my original post).

I have altered the plan a bit. I take 1 1/2 pills at 7:30 am, 1 1/2 at 1:30pm, and 2 1/2 at 7:30 pm. I have actually slept 4-5 hours the last two nights. I didn't expect that. I was a great sleeper before all of this mess, so I hope I can get back to that. I have had very little w/d symptoms. about 30 minutes before the afternoon and evening dose times, I get a fever and sluggish, but within one hour after dosing, I am 90% normal. I feel great. I wake up in the mornings at about 4am and feel pretty tired. I am using the Thomas recipe with additional suppliments (I am very educated and experienced in nutrition), and that helps in the morning.

I know this is going to get much, much worse, but I am SO encouraged that it has been so easy so far. Is it normal to feel this good during the taper phase?

Ok, This taper phase is so painless that I don't see the need to post until I get down to nothing. I'll be back!

mottam is offline Advanced Member

Nejevoli:
    How are you doing with you taper plan?
    I see that you are going through what you describe as a "painless" taper.
    PLEASE remember that opiate addiction and recovery is NEVER 100% painless.
    Be vigilant, be very aware, be strong.
    Confidence is great, over-confidence can be harmful.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck.

Keep posting - stay strong.

mottam

Thumbs up How goes it?

I wanted to check up on how things are. Sorry it took me so long, but I couldn't find the posts that I have commented on. I know they are supposed to have an arrow, but I guess I have to subscribe to them so they are in my dashboard thing, unless someone knows an easier way.

I wanted to see how things were. I see that you had posted its painless, and I hope for you that its that way the whole, I have had friends that had serious addictions and were able to come off easily, because they had passion for something else which gave them the desire to get clean. Whether its the love for your wife or picking up a new GOOD habit or something like that.

If you aren't having any trouble you may want to be more aggressive with the initial taper so that you cut away a larger portion of your dosage initially and then taper from there. I know that initially I disagreed with this, but I didn't expect you to have it this easy. It can still be good for you to go down by a point that you aren't feeling too many ill effects especially when you have a life to live. If you keep that up just continuously taper little by little until there is nothing left to cut. This way your withdrawal symptoms are based on your new dosage rather then you original.

Its good to hear you have a tough wife. I too had this and continue to have this. Being a softy can have its trouble before I told my fiancee to kick it up a notch at the first sign of pain she would give in, until I explained to her that sometime your mind can trick you to think your in pain just so you can get that pill.

If you are in agony she will know that enough is enough, but I think having her will help you immensely.

Good luck and keep in touch.

RubyDean is offline Member

Nejivoli, I am thrilled to see you getting help, and wanting to stop. It is very hard for non-addcits to understand. My wife was blind sided when she found out. The feeling of relief to get that out in the open was something I will never forget. I think your taper plan is a good one, and it will take some time, and dedication. You have her to support you, and that is the best thing you can ask for, her dispensing your pills is one of the only ways it will work. Plus you have all of us on this forum to support you. One love. I am proud of you, and things will get much better. They already have, I can tell. This is hard work, but very good for us. Living a lie is torture to our souls. Being clean, or on a path to recovery is the way to be! Stay connected and let us know how you are doing. All the will.

Default Update

Thanks to all who have responded and been encouraging in the last few days. Thanks also for the gentle warnings. I have realized that I was mistaken in my last post. This has not been as painless as I thought.

If you remember, I became very ill 12 hours after my last large dose. It seemed as if it was non related to the hydros. Afterall, I had gone more than 12 hours without a dose just about everyday of my addiction as I almost never took pills after 4 or 5pm. I still believe that the illness was unrelated. However, once I started the taper, I became quite ill again with basically the same symptoms (flu-like). I have had terrible congestion, sore throat, fever, and coughing every day since I started the taper. The last three days have been an improvement, however I still have the bad cough, bad congestion, and fever. Interestingly, the fever always "magically" appears about 1-2 hours before my next dose. I can't assume the two are unrelated. I am so sick of being sick.

I mentioned before that I had a large event at great expense this week that I needed to lead and be highly functional. For that reason, I have maintained the 5 pill per day dose. 1 1/2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 1 1/2 in the evening. I feel that I am leveling off now. I will reduce to 4 pills tomorrow (the last day of the event). I believe I will stay at each level for 5 days now instead of 3. I know the next drop will probably bring about the same symptoms, so I am better prepared for that now. I have found that drinking copious amounts of water helps a lot.

Thank you all SO much for your support. This morning has been dificult, but reading all of your replies this morning brought me over the hump.

Thanks!

Thanks RubyDean. This message this morning was exactly what I needed to hear.

Thanks Ifitdoesthetrick.

It was wonderful knowing that you are still checking up on me. I just can't say how much it means for you to spend the time reading my thread and responding. Thanks as well for your encouragement and wise councel.

Mottam,

Right you are. I think all of that overconfidence came crashing down yesterday as I realized that I am not doing as well with the wds as I thought. I refered to it as a painless taper because I attributed my symptoms to sickness rather than wds. I was wrong, and I appreciate you.

Default Ok, it's getting hard

I guess this is normal. I have always been VERY emotionally stable. I jumped down to 4 pills yesterday, and today I feel like there is nothing left in life for me. This is crazy. I have the absolutely greatest wife imaginable (seriously), and three wonderful kids who think I hung the moon.

I guess this is what depression feels like. I just don't have the will do do anything.

Any help out there?

Default Ok, it's getting hard

I guess this is normal. I have always been VERY emotionally stable. I jumped down to 4 pills yesterday, and today I feel like there is nothing left in life for me. This is crazy. I have the absolutely greatest wife imaginable (seriously), and three wonderful kids who think I hung the moon.

I guess this is what depression feels like. I just don't have the will to do anything.

Any help out there?

hkyjon33 is offline Member

Hey there ... Unfortunatly, that is normal ... i went thru this as well ... it gets a lot better ... just talk to your wife and play with your kids as well as post.... i know it seems imposible to do that, but u have to keep you mind moving or it takes you places you dont want to go ... as hard as this sounds as well, do some light to medium excersize ...keep the blood flowing, thats the only way to keep from going down in a spiral... keep your head up, it only gets better ... the night is darkest just before the dawn ... keep that in your head =) ..... YOUR DOING GREAT =) ... you got this ... just keep that in your head ... your stronger than the drug ... I hope you feel better soon =) your in my prayers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nejevoli View Post

I guess this is what depression feels like. I just don't have the will to do anything.

Any help out there?

Nejevoli ...... I'm going to share what I really think and I just ask that you take it as constructive criticism. I have compassion for what you're feeling but go along with me for a bit here. You've already dropped to four pills, it's time to make your move to get this behind you. And this is a way to help follow through with what Melinda and hkyjon33 suggested.

You stated in your original post that you've been using for 8 months. Not to belittle your addiction and I'm not bragging about something like this as it's nothing to be proud of but I used for a good 35 years prior to getting clean. I'm only mentioning that so you can see that it's totally reasonable to expect that you can do this as I'm explaining. You can make all these elaborate plans to do this and do that but when it comes right down to the reality of all this, you haven't used that long.

Your habit has been a little higher than what lots of people use after only 8 months but it's nothing that is insurmountable. 10 -15 pills per day is quite a few pills per day for 8 months, so you have to realize there is a price to pay for your choices. You can't realistically expect to stop suddenly and not have any discomfort or symptoms. But you're already down to four pills.

The thing is that if you step up and be strong about this in a matter of a week the very worst of the w/d will be behind you. Don't spend a bunch of time making all these crazy plans figuring the easy way out. You're just prolonging the agony. You've got a price to pay so just deal with it and get after the program.

Here is a link for the Thomas Recipe. LOTS of people on this forum have been successful over the years with this plan. It's for lessening the w/d symptoms for opiate w/d. If you follow it closely you will have four or so days, maybe five, and then each day will improve until after a week or so you'll be feeling like a new man. You could start on a Thursday as an example, by Friday afternoon you would be feeling pretty rough, but you would have the entire weekend to get through some of the most difficult days. By early the following week you would be back on track feeling good again. Here is the link ......

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html

If you follow this plan to the letter you'll feel like a new man in no time. The best thing for the depression is forcing yourself to get some exercise. You don't have to run five miles, just go for good walks in the late afternoon or early evening to help with your natural endorphine production which helps with your overall well-being. Then about an hour before bedtime take a really hot shower or bath to help relax when you hit the sack.

If you follow what I'm saying you'll get this over with and won't be dragging it out for weeks when you could be done in ten days or less. I promise this is the best plan out there for helping with a cold turkey opiate detox and it isn't THAT tough. You'll still have some w/d symptoms but this will help and you'll be done the quickest way I know.

Ask if you have any questions. Accept that if won't be symptom-free, but this will help you feel better in the shortest time possible that I'm aware of. You can do this I guarantee if you commit to yourself. If you got the flu you would make it even though you wouldn't enjoy it. That is my best advice for giving your wife and kids their dad/husband back. Hope this helps. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 10-26-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Nejevoli
    hkyjon hit it right on...do just what he said and try to keep positive thoughts in your head...tell yourself I'm going to win this fight get mad at your addiction
    and beat it down to a pulp... and just take it ten minutes at a time if you need to...
    keep us posted on how you are doing..
    Talk to you later, Melinda

Default It may be bad now but in time

You have such great things to get better for. A lot of people don't have the support and love around them through this and it helps tremendously. You sound like you are in it to win it, so just keep on keepin on. Soon you will realize that you are happy on your own without stupid drugs.

Exercise, as stated by others is important for many reasons, and will definitely help you get back to normal everyday life faster. I had similar troubles when I went through a detox where I just felt absolutely miserable and my legs and mind wouldn't calm down, yet I felt like I couldn't move. For me the best thing ever was swimming and hottubs. I would recommend swimming to anyone going through this, because it not only give you exercise to help you get endorphins released normally, but it also gives you something to keep your mind off things. If you can I would set a schedule where daily you can get some time in a pool, like at a local gym (if you can) Your body floats and you cant feel your pain, your using your muscles so you don't feel like your going to climb out of your skin, and you are using you mind and lungs to breath, that really helps block out everything else.. Concentrate on the breathing pattern you use while swimming, every breath you puts you deeper in to concentrating on the next. It was a life send for me.

I know that you have only used for a little while, but Withdrawal is withdrawal. That part is the same, where it differs is when you have been using so long that it becomes such a big part of your life that you dont know what do or how to function without it. You should only have a small trouble getting over that because you only used for 8 months and you had a life before. Soon you will be back to doing what you used to. Just please don't pick up any other bad habits along the way.

I give you my thoughts!

herenow44 is offline New Member

I Have been reading your posts, hope all is still going well. I think taking Roberts advice about going cold turkey might be beneficial. I am currently going on my 4th day of being clean from pain meds. I choose to go C/T just so I could get it over with quickly, the past 3 days have been a real roller coaster with a lot more dowsn than ups, but I know that you are strong enough to push through that.....Reading other posts and knowing that other people are currently going through the same thing you are really helps. If you ever need to talk feel free to shoot me a message!!!!

Will

Default Ok, it's time

Hi everyone. Sorry I've been absent. I have been traveling extensively for meetings and working a lot.

To everyone who wrote in response to my last post about it getting tough...thanks. You were all very encouraging.

Robert - I value your opinion greatly and took it to heart. The problem was my travel and work schedule. I kept tapering and have gotten down to 2 pill per day for the last 3 days. That wasn't as much fun as 4 per day, but managible.

I just finished up my last meeting and will be home for then next 11 days. I took my last pill this morning at 7am. I am already starting to sneeze and have a small fever and feel my bowels starting to protest. The plan was to quit Monday, but I told my wife today to cut me off, even if I change my mind tomorrow. It looks like I am about to enter the wd phase. Maybe it won't be so bad after tapering.

Sorry I haven't been journaling as I promised. It has pretty much been dull and mundane with malaise for the first 2-3 days of every taper drop. I have had that malaise constantly since dropping to 2 per day.

I'll keep you posted. I should hit the 24 hour mark about 3-4 hours after waking in the morning. I'll probably post then.

I have everything for the Thomas Recipe as well as a few other supplements.

One question. Is Soma recommended? I have a limited supply that will run out in 1 week if I take 2 per night. I don't have any other sleep aids, but I could buy some.

Thanks for all of your support. I know most of you have been through this already, and my case is probably mild compared to yours (only 8 months of use), but we shall see.

I'll be checking this forum constantly as it is inspirational to read about others going through the same thing.

It won't hurt to take some Soma for body aches if you do it in moderation. Don't get carried away with them but they work well with the Thomas Recipe. God bless.

Robert,

I already mentioned it, but thanks. I didn't take offense to anything you said. I wish I could have followed your advise as I would have been done with the worst by now, but my work schedule wouldn't allow it. I am a senior executive in a large multinational corporation, and I already had a heavy travel and meeting schedule set that I couldn't get out of due to the expense. I frequently ask my direct reports to fly to other countries for meetings, and they were already ticketed, as well as hotel booked, etc.

I have 11 days before I leave again. The next trip is going to be 15 days long and very demanding. Do you think I will be up and running enough to endure that?

Thanks again for your help.

Also, from watching your comments to others, I am wondering if you are a believer (follower of Chr*st). If so, I am a fellow follower.
    Last edited by Nejevoli; 11-14-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Robert,

I already mentioned it, but thanks. I didn't take offense to anything you said. I wish I could have followed your advise as I would have been done with the worst by now, but my work schedule wouldn't allow it. I am a senior executive in a large multinational corporation, and I already had a heavy travel and meeting schedule set that I couldn't get out of due to the expense. I frequently ask my direct reports to fly to other countries for meetings, and they were already ticketed, as well as hotel booked, etc.

I have 11 days before I leave again. The next trip is going to be 15 days long and very demanding. Do you think I will be up and running enough to endure that?

Thanks again for your help.

Also, from watching your comments to others, I am wondering if you are a believer (follower of Chr*st). If so, I am a fellow follower.

Eleven days should give you enough time to be feeling LOTS better. And yes I am a Chrisitian, have been for a good while now. Would be lost without Him. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Eleven days should give you enough time to be feeling LOTS better. And yes I am a Chrisitian, have been for a good while now. Would be lost without Him. God bless.
    That's great to hear Robert. The Lord has cetainly sustained me. The organiation I am with is the largest Chistian organization in the world. I wlsh I could share more. Is there a private way to do so?

Default Day 4

Hi everyone. Sorry I went dark there for a few days. I'm back. I started day 4 this morning at 7:30am. I feel much better today. In truth, it was rather unpleasant the last 3 days, but not unbearable. I was very pleasantly surprised. I think the 3-4 week taper helped A LOT! I have been up all day today and yesterday working. I even had a multiparty conference call today. I still am only at about 70% of normal, and have very little motivation to get much done, but am pushing through it. I have been faithful to the Thomas Recipe (minus the Benzos), and it has been good.

Thanks for all who have helped me through this. I don't plan to look back!

Hi everyone. Sorry I went dark there for a few days. I'm back. I started day 4 this morning at 7:30am. I feel much better today. In truth, it was rather unpleasant the last 3 days, but not unbearable. I was very pleasantly surprised. I think the 3-4 week taper helped A LOT! I have been up all day today and yesterday working. I even had a multiparty conference call today. I still am only at about 70% of normal, and have very little motivation to get much done, but am pushing through it. I have been faithful to the Thomas Recipe (minus the Benzos), and it has been good.

Thanks for all who have helped me through this. I don't plan to look back!

Nejevoli ...... a good taper followed by the Thomas Recipe has worked for lots of people and I have no doubt you'll do fine. Being on day four I wouldn't really be all that concerned about not having any valium, klonopin or any other benzo. If you look closely at the Thomas Recipe it only calls for taking benzos about four days anyway. So it's not that big of a deal.

Take advantage taking lots of hot showers as they will help a lot. If you do that right after you take a good walk or get some kind of moderate exercise (try to finish up about an hour or so before bedtime) it will help relax you when you lay down.

There are other things available that are natural that can help you IF you find yourself having problems with sleep or anxiety. I don't know in what country you live, but if you have health food/vitamin stores, but they will have lots of things that help us with sleep and anxiety using natural supplements. Just be careful what you buy as lots of things are garbage. Being in a third world country let me know what you have access to and I can advise you with that information.

Sounds like you're doing pretty well though. Let me know if you need anything else related with your recovery. I'm available to help you anyway that I'm able.

I listed an email address on my last reply to you for sending information about the Christian organization you were discussing. That email address is just for you. When you send me some information I'll look it over closely and when I reply I'll send you my "real" email address for future conversations related to the organization. I don't post my email address on the forum, but I often use a temporary address like I did for you and then send the actual working address when we are speaking off the forum in privacy.

I noticed you sent me an email with no information. I was hoping you would include a link to your organization or something for me to look over. I look forward to hearing from you about the organization, where you're from and all that good stuff. I enjoy talking about Christ off the forum. HE is what my life is about. God bless.