How well does Buspar work for anxiety?
    frantic mom is offline Junior Member

Default How well does Buspar work for anxiety?

Would love to hear any thoughts for or against Buspar. Thanks

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by frantic mom View Post
    Would love to hear any thoughts for or against Buspar. Thanks

I was prescribed buspar one time and I would never fill another prescription again. In my humble opinion it's worthless. There are lots of other anxiety meds that work so much better. You may not have a serious problem and perhaps it will help you. But it did absolutely nothing for me. Will you be taking medication of this type for very long???

I am in the process of withdrawing from valium and was prescribed effexor to help with that but it was also suggested that I might take Buspar for the anxiety the withdrawal is causing. Would rather not take anything but I definitely need help. I am doing a slow withdrawal and I am at only 5mg a day of valium but I started out on Ativan 1mg/day and then stopped it cold turkey and started on valium instead of weaning slowly from one to the other like it suggests in the Ashton Manual, but now that I haven't had any ativan in over 2 weeks I don't want to go back and start over again. I am a nervous wreck though. Any suggestions? Maybe I should just increase the valium dose for now?

I am in the process of withdrawing from valium and was prescribed effexor to help with that but it was also suggested that I might take Buspar for the anxiety the withdrawal is causing. Would rather not take anything but I definitely need help. I am doing a slow withdrawal and I am at only 5mg a day of valium but I started out on Ativan 1mg/day and then stopped it cold turkey and started on valium instead of weaning slowly from one to the other like it suggests in the Ashton Manual, but now that I haven't had any ativan in over 2 weeks I don't want to go back and start over again. I am a nervous wreck though. Any suggestions? Maybe I should just increase the valium dose for now?

It's hard to know exactly what to do when we find ourselves several days into a detox and we realize that it would have been better to begin a little differently than we did. But now we are where we are and we've got to do the best we can and move forward. You're wanting to get on track with the Ashton Manual instructions (which is good) but you don't want to back up to day one and start taking too much valium now after you have this time clean behind you. No way I would back up to the beginning either. You've already made too much progress.

I am glad you are using the valium to taper off the ativan. That is the smart way to do this. You could take something like melatonin if you are having difficulty sleeping. There are supplements for anxiety that work for some of us and don't do anything for others of us. I am not a big supplement person as I haven't been successful with them just like I haven't been successful with buspar. Who knows though, perhaps buspar will help you. I would probably give the dr the benefit of the doubt and try it. Your dr knows you better than I do. You have nothing to lose. It certainly won't harm you.

You should try the buspar as you do have the safety net of knowing you can add a little valium to your current 5mg dose (which isn't really much) if you find that you need it. I would probably have started at about 10mg I think rather than the 5mg. But that is the past. I'm not saying to double your dose now, just see if the buspar works at all. Great if it does, if it doesn't then I would add 2.5-5mg more valium. If you do add more valium just do it to get stablized and rest for a couple days. Then start cutting it back again. Let us know how this all works out for you. Good luck.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 08-11-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks Robert. I will try the melatonin and let you know how the rest of my detox from valium goes. I feel so lousy but I don't want to go backwards. It's hard not to think that I could feel so much better if I could just take 1 ativan again but I won't do that. It has taken a LOT of prayer not to do that at times when I am feeling so anxious and my body is aching. Any Christians out there, please pray for me!

If you follow the Ashton Manual directions you should make it without too much suffering. I know how tough this is. I thought I might die when I was detoxing from benzos. It made my oxy detox look like a kid's game, not to belittle opiate detox. Hang in there as this takes a little longer than some other detoxes do.

In the end I found that the only thing that totally got me through quitting all drugs and staying clean was Jesus Christ. I know some people may think that is corny, and that is ok too. I will include you in my prayers.

Tareia is offline New Member

I was prescribed Buspar by my doctor about a year and 1/2 ago, it did absolutely nothing for me. When I would first take it in the morning I would get hot flashes, that was about it for me. I currently take Klonopin and it works pretty well for my anxiety.

ROBERT Thanks for the encouragement and your prayers!
    TAREIA I don't want to take Klonipin because I think it is also a benzodiazipine which is what I am trying to detox off of. Thanks anyway for your input

ROBERT Thanks for the encouragement and your prayers!
    TAREIA I don't want to take Klonipin because I think it is also a benzodiazipine which is what I am trying to detox off of. Thanks anyway for your input

You are right. Klonopin is a benzo. Not what you need at this point.

bradsgirl26 is offline New Member

hi, I'm new here. I've been seeing my new doctor for about 3 ths now for mdd and gad. I'm on pristiq 50 mg/day which is working right now for my mdd. At first we tried vistaril for my gad with no help at all. It just made me want to go to sleep, but I guess I wasn't having any anxiety issues while I was sleeping! Now, I'm on buspar and have been for just a couple of days. My doc said she wanted to try this before the benzo route. I've noticed it not working at all and I've started having headaches since yesterday. My anxiety is an everyday thing. Does buspar take a while to start working? What can I do in the mean time for my anxiety? I want to try this before benzos, because they are hard to come off of, she says. I'm having major anxiety though! What should I do? Should I call my doc? Please answer as soon as you can, thanks!!

Anonymous Guest

Hi bradsgirl
    I have been on buspar and benzo's at different times for anxiety...but both times I stopped the benzo's it gave me panic attacks...and it does it to allot of people...The buspar worked for me for a little while...but I really think you need to find out what is causing your anxiety. If you can deal with it that way it makes everything easer on you...
    Just really think about the benzo route before you do it...
    here is a web site to look at for the people trying to get off of benzo's
    http://benzo.org.uk/
    Life is just hard sometimes...you just need to kick back and roll with it...
    Let us know how your doing...
    Melinda

I've had anxiety for several years as well as depression. There's not a lot I can do differently in my life. I get what your saying though. I go to therapy as well, so I'm taking a proactive approach in my well being. I've heard the stories and also know people addicted or who have been addicted to prescription medication. I know addiction can happen to the most unlikely people as well. I've been pretty well informed on such things. I'm just trying to feel better and live a normal life. I'm 27 yrs old now and I'm ready! Thanks.

I would still greatly appreciate any advice or answers on my questions. Thanks in advance.