How long does it take to get addicted to Vicodin?
    mingum is offline New Member

Default How long does it take to get addicted to Vicodin?

How long does it take and at about what dosage of regular usage, to become addicted to Vicodin?

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Addiction is differant for each person.If your taking the vicodin for legit pain then it's unlikely you will become addicted.If you are using them for their euphoric effect then it doesn't take long.Once you feel that you need to take them so you can face the day then you know for sure you have a problem.Some people can take narcotics for months and stop taking them when their pain is gone others get hooked almost from the start.There are no rules or guidelines for narcotic addiction......Dave

hlavsa777 is offline New Member

Default iS IT REALLY UNLIKELY THAT YOU WILL NOT BE ADDICTED BECAUSE OF YOUR REASON FOR TAKING

I am guessing that you either are a doctor who perscribes this stuff or maybe you just work for the drug company?

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    addiction is differant for each person.if your taking the vicodin for legit pain then it's unlikely you will become addicted.if you are using them for their euphoric effect then it doesn't take long.once you feel that you need to take them so you can face the day then you know for sure you have a problem.some people can take narcotics for months and stop taking them when their pain is gone others get hooked almost from the start.there are no rules or guidelines for narcotic addiction......dave

hadenough2009 is offline Junior Member

There are so many factors that determine how quickly or if ever a person becomes addicted. The simplest answer is that some people take the pills for recreational use, not for legitimate pain. Some people who have legitimate pain take them with good intentions until it becomes out of control and they become dependent upon them. Many addicts are probably predisposed to addiction meaning it's hardwired in their system and they have a very difficult time quitting. Not sure why you're asking, but if you have doubts, chances are you may already be addicted. Talk to your doctor and voice your concern.

want2getstr8 is offline New Member

Default I think addiction is sneaky

For me it really snuck up. I took pain meds at first for legit reasons and then very sporadically for fun. Then all of a sudden I was needing them and staying on them almost constantly. I would tell myself I was working better when I was on them than when off. I got started with kidney stones and I am lucky in that those go away. I really feel for the people who have long term legit need but probably get hooked at the same time. We have a statute in Tennessee that says a Dr. has to have a plan for a patient to get off whenever he prescribes a scheduled narcotic (or we used to I did not do reseach on lately) but there certainly seem to be plenty that allow patients to take them long term. The source for the pills on the street is almost always someones script and from what I have gathered these are people who get them monthly over long periods of time.

tommyboy5 is offline New Member

it really depends on the person,, if they are abusing. everybody is different. honestly it didnt take long for me, maybe a month of constant taking everyday. if i remember right. here is the deal about drug addiction. when you find that certain drug that makes you feel the best you have ever felt. then that is the one most commonly that you will get addicted to. i started out at 1 a day and it would last all day long. but it doesnt take long to build up a tolerance. just like anything else. weither its caffeine from pop or herion. its sad but true. then when you stop it takes a long time to dry out and get back to just being able to take one pill a day program. thank you