>>>>>> Addict In Need of Help
    Jamie Zadrozny is offline New Member

Default >>>>>> Addict In Need of Help

I'm a 6 year >>>>>> addict who needs help finally getting off. Are there any medicines or treatments anyone would recommend as a starting point? I shoot about 3 bags a day, but my husband Jon doesn't know.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Jamie,

There are only a few options if you are ready to do this and you can't tell your spouse. That makes it harder, you should try to work that out. It would make your recovery easier.

If you really have to keep this detox to yourself your best bet would be suboxone. You just have to be in moderate to severe w/d from the >>>>>> when you begin. You stay on it long enough to positively get past the opiate w/d and then you taper off. It works great. You can check out local drs at www.suboxone.com or www.naabt.org. Let us know what you do. Good luck.

jennmkillgore is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Please Read Jamie!!!

Jamie,
    Please, Suboxone is only good for people with a mild habit. I have done TONS of research on this. I have been clean for six years with the help of Methadone. YES, I know, people are going to say horrible things about this medication, but when used right, it can give you your life back. It's a starting point. Then once you get on a low enough dose of the Methadone, you can switch to Sub to come totally off. If you need ANYTHING, please call me. My number is 806-577-6378 I have been where you are. There is hope and there is help. You just have to be willing to do whatever it takes and it sounds like you are. Take care and I do answer my phone 24/7. Anytime, day or night, no problem. I'll talk as long as you need it. I have worked with other addicts for a long time. Hope to hear from you.
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by jennmkillgore View Post
    Jamie,
    Please, Suboxone is only good for people with a mild habit. I have done TONS of research on this. I have been clean for six years with the help of Methadone.............................. once you get on a low enough dose of the Methadone, you can switch to Sub to come totally off.
    Jennifer

Jennifer,

What do you consider a "mild" habit to be??? I am curious. I know what my opiate habit was and what several other people's habit was. It was FAR from being "mild" and suboxone worked pretty well. Not questioning your research but a few of us have done quite a bit of research. There are actually very few times that buprenorphine is not a viable option for treating addiction where methadone would be. I do understand that in some really extreme cases using methadone first and later switching to suboxone is probably the best realistic choice. But those instances are not common at all.

I am very careful about choosing methadone as the first choice of the options for treating opiate addiction. Methadone does have lots of great benefits. It is a great medication for treating addiction long term and also for long term pain management . It also has serious minuses if done for a short term. It's just not a short term medication, wasn't designed that way. It becomes a way of life. Nothing wrong with using it for life if necessary. I just think it should be prescribed when other options are exhausted.

Methadone and subutex/suboxone have become the "gold standard" for treating opiate addiction. I totally believe in Opiate Replacement Therapy with methadone and buprenorphine. W/D symptoms during opiate detox should become a thing of the past as more people (both patients and doctors) become more informed as to how to use buprenorphine most effectively. Take care.

ClareK is offline New Member

Default Humane detox

Dear Jamie,

Try looking into opiates.com.....If you really want to put this behind you..If you are planning a replacement drug like Methadone or Suboxone, it will probably be safer then >>>>>> but you eventually will have to detox from those that are still opiates...

bev49 is offline Banned

I agree with Robert 100%. My "mild" habit was 10 years of shooting >>>>>> followed by 33 years of methadone maintenance. Methadone did save me but i would not recommend it as the first choice. I got myself down to 20 mgs. methadone for the last 3 years and the switch to suboxone went seamlessly. 3 bags a day is really not that severe a habit. I believe suboxone was made for someone like that. The problem with methadone is that it is EXTREMELY addictive. You do not get off of it that easily. It would be much easier to switch from 3 bags a day to suboxone than from a methadone habit. Take my word for it. I had to go 72 hours with no meth before I could start the sub and it wasn't fun. Sub would be my first choice in a situation like this.

nichole123 is offline New Member

Hi. I do not reccommend either suboxone or Methadone. You will have to withdrawal from both of these and It will not be fun nor easy. If you have the resources, check out www.opiates.com. Really amazing place. Good medicine.

Best of Luck-

starryeyed is offline New Member

Default implant

i had a 3 gram a day habit and did the rapid detox over 12 hour which was hell then had a naltrexone implant put in my stomach apparently it can be administered orally but in your tummy it slow releases over 6 months so no opiate or drink will have any affect on you in this time and the only was anyone will know is by a tiny scar on your tummy.

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by starryeyed View Post
    i had a 3 gram a day habit and did the rapid detox over 12 hour which was hell then had a naltrexone implant put in my stomach apparently it can be administered orally but in your tummy it slow releases over 6 months so no opiate or drink will have any affect on you in this time and the only was anyone will know is by a tiny scar on your tummy.
    Can you elaberate a bit more on teh naltresone implant. Cost.. who to go to etc.. side effect. I am currently on sub and now down to 12 mg per day. I will hopefully be complete wean off that in about the next 3-4 weeks. LOVE THE SUB,, by the way. I am worried about if I am ready in 3-4 weeks to be without a crutch though.

ty
    Sister.

Quote Originally Posted by sisterwin2 View Post
    Can you elaberate a bit more on teh naltresone implant. Cost.. who to go to etc.. side effect. I am currently on sub and now down to 12 mg per day. I will hopefully be complete wean off that in about the next 3-4 weeks. LOVE THE SUB,, by the way. I am worried about if I am ready in 3-4 weeks to be without a crutch though.

ty
    Sister.

If you want to try the naltrexone you do not have to do an implant. Naltrexone is available by prescription. I guess this is one of the costs of the Rapid Detox program that I don't understand. Why go the extreme of an implanting a drug that you can dose daily as a normal prescription? Seems like a money gig to me. The naltrexone works the same by taking it orally on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    If you want to try the naltrexone you do not have to do an implant. Naltrexone is available by prescription. I guess this is one of the costs of the Rapid Detox program that I don't understand. Why go the extreme of an implanting a drug that you can dose daily as a normal prescription? Seems like a money gig to me. The naltrexone works the same by taking it orally on a daily basis.
    well.... to be honest I fear that I may not take it. Right now I could but on the sub. I have had many relapses and just not sure I have another in me.
    If I cant get the inplant then I will take it po. With the implant than it buys me more time to get my head on straight. I dont trust me anymore. Esp. now that I know there is a easy way out like the sub. I have been doing so well and feel so much better about my self. I am not 100% back to myself. I know I am not and not just talking about the sweats and lack of sleep. I am talking about knowing how to live without narc's. I attempted to go back to NA but just not buying into it now. I really am not sure that this is a diease but a choice that I have made out of weakness and just like the high. I still can not picture myself living without dope. I have only been clean maybe 12 yrs of my whole life. Started very young. Was forced to be clean back in the eighties but even then I found a way to beat urines. I had 4 yrs clean when out to sea on a 38 foot boat....... I cant run from it in that capacity .... cant afford that. It may change as I stay clean for the duration of the sub. Right now, tonight, I just dont see it. I am not having craving or should I say strong cravings that I would stop the sub. Do you see what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jennmkillgore View Post
    Jamie,
    Please, Suboxone is only good for people with a mild habit. I have done TONS of research on this. I have been clean for six years with the help of Methadone. YES, I know, people are going to say horrible things about this medication, but when used right, it can give you your life back. It's a starting point. Then once you get on a low enough dose of the Methadone, you can switch to Sub to come totally off. If you need ANYTHING, please call me. My number is 806-577-6378 I have been where you are. There is hope and there is help. You just have to be willing to do whatever it takes and it sounds like you are. Take care and I do answer my phone 24/7. Anytime, day or night, no problem. I'll talk as long as you need it. I have worked with other addicts for a long time. Hope to hear from you.
    Jennifer
    Well Jennifer..... too many people on this forum alone to prove u wrong. I am not a "mild" addict by any means. Not sure what a "mild" addict is. It is working for me and I do not have to give my life over to a clinic. I am not saying Meth is not for some. It is....... but Suboxone is for many also. What.... you own a meth clinic?

mom 1 is offline New Member

Default going from suboxone to the naltrexone implant

jeannie,,

you asked about suboxone and i'd like to share our experience with you. it really worked wonders, but my son needed more than just suboxone.

>>>>>> use creates more and more opiate-receptors in the brain, and there is literally no way around that, which probably explains the intensity of the cravings for >>>>>>. suboxone works very well in filling those receptors! we know a ton of young people who have moved past >>>>>> with the aid of suboxone.

in helping my son overcome chronic relapsing, we got him on suboxone at his request, and next will be the naltrexone implant. there is a method to this madness, and in doing it in sequence, but to find a doc. go to the suboxone website and enter your zip code. since suboxone is made from an opiate base, i was skeptical and opposed to it at first... basically under-educated. but my son was wasted most of the time, i mean sooo messed up from >>>>>> running his life that i knew in my heart any substitute for >>>>>> was better than watching his young life waste away along with all that potential. for my son (and many of his friends), suboxone worked so well as long as he took it, but he also reinforced his sobriety by going to meetings because he LOVES that environment and the sense of "belonging" there with people "just like him."

evenso, >>>>>> often wins out, and pills are self-fed, so suboxone can be stopped at will, which he often did, going from suboxone to >>>>>>, back to suboxone, and continued this cycle for over a year. analyzing it himself, he came to the conclusion that >>>>>> had truly altered his brain chemistry, so much so, that the relapsing wasn't even a choice anymore... his brain acted on auto-pilot when he put down the suboxone, and he'd relapse again.

to get the naltrexone implant, you don't have to go through "rapid-detox," though i'm sure it's helpful. you can get the implant by itself, but you have to be off suboxone for about 10 days, >>>>>> about 4 days, etc. some clinics require 3 weeks. if traces of opiates are in your system when the implant is put in, it can induce a horrible withdrawl that can last up to 48 hours. but this whole challenge can be well worth it. you want to go clean for the procedure.

to get clean, my son moved to another state, got away from the >>>>>>-triggers & people associated with it, tapered off the suboxone with the help of an anti-anxiety, and is scheduled to get his first implant next week. even if he should relapse while the naltrexone implant is still active, there will be no effect, no euphoria, etc., because the naltrexone blocks opiate receptors 100% for >>>>>> users (unlike the partial block it provides alcoholics). so even if he relapses, without the desired effect, users stop using. but you HAVE to continue replacing the implant every 2 months (for at least a year) so that you don't relapse when it wears off... a relapse with your "usual" dose of >>>>>> after a long stint on naltrexone can kill you, and there are enough fatal overdoses after naltrexone therapy to prove it.

this is also why they don't recommend naltrexone PILLS, because it's so easy to stop taking them & then relapse again. that's the logic behind the implant.

you can also get naltrexone in the form of a shot that lasts for 30 days. the brand name for that is "vivitrol." if you decide to go with vivitrol shots or the naltrexone implant, you should continue it for at least a year, but longer is better, so you can focus on your recovery without cravings and pour yourself into therapy and/or 12-step groups like AA or NA where people just like you love each other back to life again with a common struggle & purpose, in a community so big and supportive that this is often the glue that really sticks for addicts. the most unlikely addicts we know have recovered once they "found themselves" in AA and have gone on to help others struggling just like they did. some of the most amazing, non-judgmental, and helpful people we've ever met come from the world of recovering addicts, and they are people just like you.

you've already taken a HUGE first step by asking about medication for you and your husband. you're facing in the right direction. if you want to email me, please do. though i can't claim to have any set answers on this challenge you're facing, i can at least pass on to you some encouragement and even some short-cuts that might save weeks of googling & research. best wishes... you're on the right path

mom 1 is offline New Member

Default Jamie

the above post to jeannie was supposed to be for JAMIE, sorry

relaybane is offline Junior Member

reading through the suggestions ( most were good) i didnt see rapid detox under anesthesia mentioned. i have mentioned it in other posts so for detailed information search around. In a nutshell, i tried tapering, suboxone etc with no real success. Finally i did rapid detox and never looked back. i will have two happy years clean in july. whatever treatment you decide to do, please do alot of research and make an informed decision.. i have read success stories with many processes, so there is always hope..good luck!

methadonesucks is offline New Member

Cool My experience w/ getting help

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Zadrozny View Post
    I'm a 6 year >>>>>> addict who needs help finally getting off. Are there any medicines or treatments anyone would recommend as a starting point? I shoot about 3 bags a day, but my husband Jon doesn't know.
    I was an oxy addict for 4 yrs along w/ whatever else I could find when that wasnt availiable. Then I messed up by going into outpatient methadone clinic in Nc Mcleoud center. Its a legal dope house they dont help u get off. Suboxone is what I'm going to get next tues from my Dr. find a dr in your area who is on the list to prescribe subutox nothing like a dope clinic They will get u clean with out letting u be sick. Be honest all questions the records for this treatment is 100% condifintial Dr said if anyone wanted it they would have to go to court to get availibility to the info. Plus this doesnt show up on drug tests per my new Dr. I've been off 70 mgs of methadone for about 3 weeks and been sick dr gave me som hydro 10's and nerve pills for anxiety cause i worry about getting sick and panic. He didnt give me enough. Only prob. So now I've had to buy morphine pills all i could find to hold me over till appt next week. Addicts need help getting clean w/o being sick and we have to be able to function. methadone just get you addicted to another substance that u have to worry about getting off of. So I'm trying suboxone. Thats the best advice I have skip clinics and go to a dr who does suboxone in your area. Best of luck. I know it really sucks. I'm so mad at myself for making this mess.

bev49 is offline Banned

I don't know what you mean by "mild"... I was an IV >>>>>> addict for 10 years and on a methadone program for over 30. I wouldn't call that mild. Methadone is a wonderful drug and probably saved my life but it is long term. (33 years in my case). I got down to 25 mgs. of meth and I switched over to sub with no problems whatsoever. Ive been on sub for a year now but I've decreased from a starting dose of 16 a day to 1 mg. a day now. I don't know if I will ever get off, the fear is too great after spending pretty much my whole life opiate addicted but I'm the rare case. I've got alot of good things to say about methadone (if used properly) but subutex is certainly a good option for someone who wants to taper and become drug free.