Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By supermom2
  • 1 Post By supermom2
here we go...1 week til withdrawl
  1. #1
    supermom2 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Unhappy here we go...1 week til withdrawl

    ok- a little background info: i have been thru this before. in my teens & twenties i abused drugs-all kinds-but spent a few years stuck on opiates. was horrrible to get off of them. told myself i'd never take another narcotic pain med...now in my 30's a single working mom & have had major back surgery. & guess what...i have been on (prescribed) opiates for 3 years! -well i am done. just got off roxicodone 30mg 6+ times/ day. i am now taking 30mg (time release) morphine 2x/day & hydrocodone 10mg 4x/day. this week i am cutting those two meds in 1/2 doses. then hoping for a week off from work & will cold turkey it. any advise-support? not looking forward to this. p.s. i do have clonopin & ambien to help w/ anxiety + insomnia.
    Last edited by supermom2; 06-12-2011 at 08:38 PM.

  2. #2
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supermom2 View Post
    ok- a little background info: i have been thru this before. in my teens & twenties i abused drugs-all kinds-but spent a few years stuck on opiates. was horrrible to get off of them. told myself i'd never take another narcotic pain med...now in my 30's a single working mom & have had major back surgery. & guess what...i have been on (prescribed) opiates for 3 years! -well i am done. just got off roxicodone 30mg 6+ times/ day. i am now taking 30mg (time release) morphine 2x/day & hydrocodone 10mg 4x/day. this week i am cutting those two meds in 1/2 doses. then hoping for a week off from work & will cold turkey it. any advise-support? not looking forward to this. p.s. i do have clonopin & ambien to help w/ anxiety + insomnia.
    This is a bit out of my perimeter of knowledge so all I can say is:

    You are not alone. Follow the "Thomas Recipe" found on this site. I will be praying for you. Never give up.

    It's not your fault.

    I know that sounds rather prosaic, but it's the best advice I am able to give.

    One more bit of advice....contact a healthcare professional before you take anything like clonopin (clonazepam) or Ambien (zolpidem) a pharmacist could guide you. Better yet, a Dr.

    You've done quite a lot of the tapering on your own, that shows a great deal of willpower, (a useful tool - although not the be-all, end-all determining factor in success). Just keep chipping away at it and listen to the others who will no doubt be chiming in.

    You are in my prayers.
    P.F.
    Peter

  3. #3
    supermom2 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    thank you peter! -just the words of encouragement help.

    btw- guess i should have mentioned the clonopin & ambien are prescribed to me...& have been for years. i take on an as needed basis...so should be fine to take as needed during withdrawl.

    also planning on making sure plenty of clean sheets stacked next to me, water,sugary snacks, magazines, laptop,remote etc... will also check out the "Thomas Recipe"

  4. #4
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Here you go .. I put up the Thomase Recipe for you..keep us posted on how it goes.

    "PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

    THOMAS RECIPE

    If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

    For the Recipe, You'll need:

    1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

    2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

    3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

    4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

    5. Vitamin B6 caps.

    6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

    How to use the recipe:

    Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

    Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

    During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

    Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

    At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

    Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

    As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

    Thomas"

  5. #5
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supermom2 View Post
    thank you peter! -just the words of encouragement help.

    btw- guess i should have mentioned the clonopin & ambien are prescribed to me...& have been for years. i take on an as needed basis...so should be fine to take as needed during withdrawl.

    also planning on making sure plenty of clean sheets stacked next to me, water,sugary snacks, magazines, laptop,remote etc... will also check out the "Thomas Recipe"
    Aw, you're welcome! I'm just trying to help, my advice isn't perfect - but I think it's getting better. I'm certainly not the best nor am I the only one trying to help; there are tons of helpful folks on this site. Stick around and you'll meet lots of them.
    Melinda is awesome. Hi, Melinda!

    If they were prescribed to you recently, together and by the same Dr., go ahead and take them. (You might want to double-check your plans with a pharmacist. Better safe than sorry.) Klonopin will reduce your w/d anxiety greatly and Ambien will help you sleep.

    EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that Ambien AND/OR Klonopin cannot be suddenly stopped due to a high seizure risk. They should not be discontinued in tandem but one at a time and VERY gradually. The discontinuance of Klonopin should be undertaken with a close watch of a Dr.'s eye. The same goes for Ambien. (For example...I was once addicted to Ambien and stopped it suddenly; in the hospital, I had seizures for nearly a week; the risk is quite real!)

    Good luck and you ought to know that you are in my prayers every day as you go through this lengthy process.

    Please contact a doctor and follow her/his advice to the letter insofar as how to detox from this trifecta of opiate, benzodiazepine (Klonopin) and benzo-ligand (Ambien).

    PS: Your Dr. may prescribe you an anti-seizure drug like Tegretol, Depakote or Topamax during your withdrawal. I strongly urge you not to do this detox by yourself.

    PPS: Don't forget to avoid this God-awful heat.

    Thank you Melinda, for the Thomas Recipe. I was posting it but you beat me to it! lol

    Good luck, Super Mom!
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 06-12-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Peter

  6. #6
    supermom2 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Melinda & Peter-

    Thank you both! I kinda have been doing this alone...and it makes me feel a little shameful. mostly because of my past- i've been reluctant to talk to anyone about this. I don't want to disappoint anyone (family). I left behind my "druggie-life" more than 8 years ago. Now i have 3 wonderful children. They are my whole life. Now that I,ve been noticing a familiar feeling of physical dependency...NO MORE. I know this is gonna be tough-but i keep thinking about how i wont have to `base my day around meds anymore. if i want to take my little mini-me's to the pool or park- i wont have to make sure that'll leave me w/ enough pain meds for work etc...
    *sigh* -please DO keep me in your prayers- as i will pray for all that are going through this. just keep thinking that every day i am uncomfortable right now--& eventually sick is one day closer to freedom!! -thank you again

  7. #7
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supermom2 View Post
    Melinda & Peter-

    Thank you both! I kinda have been doing this alone...and it makes me feel a little shameful. mostly because of my past- i've been reluctant to talk to anyone about this. I don't want to disappoint anyone (family). I left behind my "druggie-life" more than 8 years ago. Now i have 3 wonderful children. They are my whole life. Now that I,ve been noticing a familiar feeling of physical dependency...NO MORE. I know this is gonna be tough-but i keep thinking about how i wont have to `base my day around meds anymore. if i want to take my little mini-me's to the pool or park- i wont have to make sure that'll leave me w/ enough pain meds for work etc...
    *sigh* -please DO keep me in your prayers- as i will pray for all that are going through this. just keep thinking that every day i am uncomfortable right now--& eventually sick is one day closer to freedom!! -thank you again

    Please don't be ashamed - BE PROUD!!!

    You are showing some crazy kind of bravado! You are brave, strong, unafraid and willing to take your lumps to give your kids a better mom! You are living up to your username! If you keep this up, you might just find yourself free of this addiction!

    Hip-Hip...HOORAY, for Supermom!

    BRAVA!!!

    PS: It almost goes without saying but doesn't hurt to repeat...You ARE in my prayers right now. I will not waver until you are free and clear of this chemical clutter. Even after, you will be in my prayers for life.

    You are my sister and I love you like one.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 06-13-2011 at 12:30 AM.
    Peter

  8. #8
    supermom2 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post
    Please don't be ashamed - BE PROUD!!!

    You are showing some crazy kind of bravado! You are brave, strong, unafraid and willing to take your lumps to give your kids a better mom! You are living up to your username! If you keep this up, you might just find yourself free of this addiction!

    Hip-Hip...HOORAY, for Supermom!

    BRAVA!!!

    PS: It almost goes without saying but doesn't hurt to repeat...You ARE in my prayers right now. I will not waver until you are free and clear of this chemical clutter. Even after, you will be in my prayers for life.

    You are my sister and I love you like one.
    well- i am literally in tears right now. it's really touching to have perfect strangers reach out with compassion. I WILL get through this - i will keep posting & cant wait til i am in a place to be the strength for someone else on this forum etc..
    THANK YOU

  9. #9
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    BTW, remember to keep posting while you are having the rough patches. Especially when you're having a rough patch!

    The road to recovery is paved with thorns but the end is SO sweetly rewarding!

    Just make sure you bring along a few metaphorical spare tires for your journey - your faith, the camaraderie of this forum, the love of and for your children, your self respect, the guidance of a doctor and the prospect of having the sheer physical and mental pleasures of being clean.

    A Narcotics Anonymous meeting or two wouldn't hurt either, if you're comfortable with that.
    Peter

  10. #10
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supermom2 View Post
    well- i am literally in tears right now. it's really touching to have perfect strangers reach out with compassion. I WILL get through this - i will keep posting & cant wait til i am in a place to be the strength for someone else on this forum etc..
    THANK YOU
    You are so welcome.

    I'm a bit misty myself. Why do I do this? Because in my hour of need I had NO ONE to talk to. It was dreadful. I had to fly solo and it was scary as hell.

    I swear, I will help anyone within my sights, so they might not suffer for as long as I did (nearly 10 years). You have nothing to be ashamed of, this is not your fault and in due time, you will be able to help another in need.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 06-13-2011 at 12:48 AM.
    Peter

  11. #11
    supermom2 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I will definately keep posting. - i see what a tool this forum is/can be -for support.
    I think that's what we need most. i appriciate the feedback & words of encouragement.

  12. #12
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supermom2 View Post
    I will definately keep posting. - i see what a tool this forum is/can be -for support.
    I think that's what we need most. i appriciate the feedback & words of encouragement.
    Awesome! I hope you use this forum to it's fullest!

    It was the Polish-French piano composer Frederic Chopin who said (I paraphrase) "It's dreadful when you've no one to unburden yourself." Truer words were never spoken.

    (Good night, Super Mom. I'll see you in about 10 hours.)

    May the grace of God rain down upon you! Amen. I will pray to Saint Rita of Cascia for you.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 06-13-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    Peter

  13. #13
    supermom2 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I am sorry you had to go-it-alone.& for 10 years!- beyond thrilled that you are here & doing well. I did it alone @ 20yrs old...things are a little more complicated this time around (higher-more consistant opiate dosage)- and really felt a calling to read & then post on this forum.
    Peter- congradualations on what you have accomplished.Hold your head high.
    I'd better (try to) get some sleep- i am up in about 4 hours for work. Goodnight Peter Rabbit
    Last edited by supermom2; 06-13-2011 at 01:16 AM.
    PeterRabbit2 likes this.

  14. #14
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supermom2 View Post
    I am sorry you had to go-it-alone.& for 10 years!- beyond thrilled that you are here & doing well. I did it alone @ 20yrs old...things are a little more complicated this time around (higher-more consistant opiate dosage)- and really felt a calling to read & then post on this forum.
    Peter- congradualations on what you have accomplished.Hold your head high.
    I'm no saint but I will try!

    In full disclosure, I use Methadone on a doctor structured regimen of 10mg per day.
    I suffer from not only an addiction to Rx pain meds, but from physical pain from injuries sustained in a car accident. (I was the pedestrian who got struck) I'm lucky I didn't break my neck. Come to think of it, there were about 10 incidents that could have easily killed me, yet I was spared. I must be here for a reason.

    1) At birth I had pulmonary edema and my mother was told I would die in a few hours

    2) At age 7, I was struck by a large milk-truck while riding my bike.

    3, 4, 5, 6 and 7) All VERY close calls from asthma. Ages 6 to 13.

    8) I nearly bled to death from a botched colonoscopy, at age 14.

    9) I was struck by a car during a run at age 21.

    10) I avoided drug overdose on many occasions (ages 21 to 31)

    11) I considered suicide for a few dark days (I had the cocktail of about 5 CNS depressants in mass overdose, ready to ingest, I just never took it) after my accident (at age 21)

    So - I'm alive. By all accounts I could easily be dead 10 times over, but here I am.

    Goodnight, Super Mom.
    Peter

  15. #15
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    HI Mom
    Is today the day you cut your dose in half again. if so let us know how you do !!!
    hope you have a good day !!
    Melinda

  16. #16
    supermom2 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post
    I'm no saint but I will try!

    In full disclosure, I use Methadone on a doctor structured regimen of 10mg per day.
    I suffer from not only an addiction to Rx pain meds, but from physical pain from injuries sustained in a car accident. (I was the pedestrian who got struck) I'm lucky I didn't break my neck. Come to think of it, there were about 10 incidents that could have easily killed me, yet I was spared. I must be here for a reason.

    1) At birth I had pulmonary edema and my mother was told I would die in a few hours

    2) At age 7, I was struck by a large milk-truck while riding my bike.

    3, 4, 5, 6 and 7) All VERY close calls from asthma. Ages 6 to 13.

    8) I nearly bled to death from a botched colonoscopy, at age 14.

    9) I was struck by a car during a run at age 21.

    10) I avoided drug overdose on many occasions (ages 21 to 31)

    11) I considered suicide for a few dark days (I had the cocktail of about 5 CNS depressants in mass overdose, ready to ingest, I just never took it) after my accident (at age 21)

    So - I'm alive. By all accounts I could easily be dead 10 times over, but here I am.

    Goodnight, Super Mom.
    Peter- My heart goes out to you. You must have an angel that is "assigned" to you ;-}
    There is definately a reason you are here- it's amazing what we can survive...& recover from.
    Thankyou for letting me in on what you have been through. You are strong & I admire you.

    ok my turn....full disclosure:

    was always a "good kid". -smart, went to church, loved my family etc.. -but was harboring a dark secret of sexual abuse that started @ 3 yrs old & lasted til I was 7. -so when i found drugs -@ the age of 14- i realized...hey this kinda erases all these awful memories, thoughts, (unfounded)guilt etc... So with a 4.3 GPA and a ton of prospects ahead of me...I dropped out & stared using...everything. This lasted about a decade.
    At 24 I was off opiates- but back to cocaine & realized how disgusted I was w/ myself- my life. Maybe a biological clock..?- but I knew then that I wanted a family- a good life- the picket fence & all. Got clean-& w/in a yr was married & starting my little fam.
    Bliss didnt last =( discovered my husband was cheating. Found myself a single mom to 3 small children...working my butt of to make it. Some of the jobs I took caused a great deal of physical pain -{had a complete spinal fusion @16}-as now i was working 7 days a wk & in pain. I wound up in pain management...& that promise I made to myself so many years ago...to stay away from pain meds- went out the window.
    I am beyond dissapointed in myself. Really I knew better.
    so theres my VERY condenced addiction summary. Thank you again for listening- just being there. God Bless
    Last edited by supermom2; 06-13-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    PeterRabbit2 likes this.

  17. #17
    supermom2 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    HI Mom
    Is today the day you cut your dose in half again. if so let us know how you do !!!
    hope you have a good day !!
    Melinda
    Melinda-

    I started yesterday...& definately was feeling it. Kept the house @ 80+ degrees & still in longsleevees & sweatpants! goosebumps & general feeling of "ick". plenty of sweating & RLS last night. ---but took my 1/2 dose again this am- went to work early--& it just puts me one day closer -yay!!!
    BTW-- I talked to my boss this a.m. & I got an entire 7 days off! {Thank You Lord!}. So from Monday(20th) thru Monday(27th) I will go through real deal & start my road back to health.

    Thank you Melinda

  18. #18
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supermom2 View Post
    Peter- My heart goes out to you. You must have an angel that is "assigned" to you ;-}
    There is definately a reason you are here- it's amazing what we can survive...& recover from.
    Thankyou for letting me in on what you have been through. You are strong & I admire you.

    ok my turn....full disclosure:

    was always a "good kid". -smart, went to church, loved my family etc.. -but was harboring a dark secret of sexual abuse that started @ 3 yrs old & lasted til I was 7. -so when i found drugs -@ the age of 14- i realized...hey this kinda erases all these awful memories, thoughts, (unfounded)guilt etc... So with a 4.3 GPA and a ton of prospects ahead of me...I dropped out & stared using...everything. This lasted about a decade.
    At 24 I was off opiates- but back to cocaine & realized how disgusted I was w/ myself- my life. Maybe a biological clock..?- but I knew then that I wanted a family- a good life- the picket fence & all. Got clean-& w/in a yr was married & starting my little fam.
    Bliss didnt last =( discovered my husband was cheating. Found myself a single mom to 3 small children...working my butt of to make it. Some of the jobs I took caused a great deal of physical pain -{had a complete spinal fusion @16}-as now i was working 7 days a wk & in pain. I wound up in pain management...& that promise I made to myself so many years ago...to stay away from pain meds- went out the window.
    I am beyond dissapointed in myself. Really I knew better.
    so theres my VERY condenced addiction summary. Thank you again for listening- just being there. God Bless
    What happened to you is awful. But the way you're bouncing back is awesome! I can feel your inner light shining bright through the text!

    I have physical and emotional pain, too. I'm in therapy for about a year, now. It helps TREMENDOUSLY!!! Do you think you could get yourself to see both a pain specialist AND a therapist?

    Above all else, for now: REMEMBER, the situation you are in right now is NOT your fault!

    All you can do is reach out. That's what you're doing since you joined this forum. The next step might be to contact a live person (not that I'm among the dead - lol!)

    What I mean is, it might be time to do things, like seeking a Dr's opinion or attending Narcotics Anonymous meetings. Go at your own pace. This is not a race.

    May God bless you my sister,
    P.F.

    PS: Now I REALLY need some sleep, I've been up for 50 hours. I have to report to work in 24hrs so I'd better go get some rest! The reason I mention this is, if I'm not around the forum for the next 36 hours or so, I'm either sleeping or working. If I don't answer a post at my usual pace, I don't want you to be worried. I'm so sleepy, I am literally cross-eyed.

    Amen, sister.
    Peter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22