Help, my new granddaughter is going through withdrawal from methadone
    jlablackbird is offline New Member

Default Help, my new granddaughter is going through withdrawal from methadone

I just found out that my new granddaughter is going through withdrawals from methadone and possibly oxycontin. She has been in the neonatal icu for about a week. The parents were not telling me and the nurse let it slip. How can I support the mom (who I love dearly) and my son? I did tell my son that I know and that I still love the mom. I talked to the mom but the subject did not come up. I did some research on the web and found out that she must be under a doctor's care for methadone. I know she must be doing what she can to deal with things. I'm not sure why the oxy.

Anyway, I'm looking for information and support. I'd like to know where I find some support as a family member.

Thanks.

zenith15 is offline Junior Member

Hi

Your grandaughter is doing the right thing. Methadone treatment is what doctors recommend for pregnant opiate addicted women, Unlike short acting opiates it remains at a stable level in the bloodstream for a full 24 hours, allowing the baby to be comfortable and not suffer any withdrawal symptoms while growiung and developing. Methadone does NOT cause any fetal deformity and is NOT a teratogen. Approx. 65 % of babies born to mos on methadone treatment require tapering off in the NICU after birth. However, the baby is kept comfortable and treated for any signs of withdrawal immediately. This is MUCH better than having the mom withdraw from methadone while pregnant, which can cause fetal demise even if done slowly. Tapering off while pregnant is NOT recommended by most doctors. It is far better that the baby be tapered off when it is full term and in a NICU where it can be watched and treated for symptoms as they arise, than when it is still in the fetal stages and no one can see how it is tolerating the dosage reductions.

For more information, please go to:

http://excoboard.com/exco/forum.php?forumid=85305

jlablackbird is offline New Member

Thank you for your quick reply. I am quite worried about the baby. She is only 1 week old and is not eating well. When I found out that the mother was using methadone I was really worried. I am trying to educate myself. It appears to me that she was doing what she was supposed to be doing, caring for herself and her unborn baby.

It's hard for me because I want to be able to talk to someone about it and there really hasn't been anyone much. I appreciate the link. I found this one before and it looks very helpful.

drgreen420 is offline New Member

Default Oxy's

Hi Oxy's are just the Legal name for the new drug for >>>>>>, it is the same drug just a different name. Methadone is the same drug opium or opiates. they are the same drug. So what can she use? First why is she Using? Meds? Why Oxy's? So before I can try to help, you need to talk to your Grand daughter first. She can tell you alot about the Drugss she take, than find out why she uses meds?

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry you're all going through this; it must be awful. Methadone is sometimes given to people who abuse opiates to keep them stable and prevent them from using. It is an opiate itself, so a person will experience withdrawal.

But I'm not sure what's going on with the oxy. I think you should find out for sure if oxy is involved here. I don't know why the mother should have been taking oxys during pregnancy--unless she was still abusing drugs. So it's important to get clarification about that.

I'm assuming your daughter-in-law is still using the methadone to manage her habit? And therefore not breastfeeding the baby? You certainly need to get some answers. Unfortunately drug addiction is often shrouded in mystery--sometimes because people are ashamed, sometimes just because they don't want to be told to quit. But there's a bay involved now, and I think you have a right to full information.

Good luck to everyone.

beatendowntonothing is offline New Member

I understand what you are going through, and in a different way. i became pregnant with my daughter, who is now 5, while going to a methadone clinic. I wanted to detox, but my doctor said that there was a 95% chance of miscarriage if I were to stop at that point. My daughter did suffer withdrawals, unfortunately, and it haunts me to this day. The fortunate thing was that after being observed in the NICU for 3 days, 4 doctors agreed that she needed to be taking methadone, to be weaned off of it. So she came home after 2 weeks in the NICU, and was off the methadone in another 2. She is perfectly healthy today, and is the smartest child in her class. So keep thinking positive, do your research, but know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am in no way a supporter of methadone.

I am sorry that you are having go through this. Drs are getting more educated on how to treat babies born to methadone treated momthers everyday. I have a friend that had a baby while on methadone her little girl didnt have to stay in the NICU however, her w/d symptoms were not severe, alot of sneezing but not much more noticable signs. They rate the w/d typically on a scale & decide treatment from there. The baby girl only scored poorly when she wasnt around her mom so they decided it would be best that she stay with her in the room. The nurses checked her every half hour. When they dicharge my friend and the baby couldnt go the hospital let her stay in an unused waiting room so she could be with her as much as possible. They discharged the baby 2 days later with a plan. My friend was actualy encouraged to breastfeed, using the amount passed through breastmilk to keep her out of w/d. They very slowly weened her by supplementing alittle formula with breastmilk every 4-5 days the process took about 6 monthes. It could of took longer but my friend wanted /felt as if she needed to return to another active addiction, xanax which she didnt use pregnant so I dont understand that, but thats besides the piont. The baby came through this healthy as ever and is almost 2 now with no developmental delays that are out of the ordinary range. Which brings me to another ? why was oxycotin an issue here. Methadone is used to treat opiate addiction she should have not been taking any other opiates. I would be concerned if she were still taking her DOC (drug of choice) while she is supposed to be in treatment making a better life for her new family. I hope this helped to ease some concerns or ?'s you may have had. I know there is a website I forget the name its been so long but its just for mothers on methadone & their families. Im sure if you goggled up mothers on methadone you would find it I think a women named susan started it. Maybe someone here know what website im talking about & can give you the info. Best wishes to you and yours. I will pray for you all. God Bless
    Last edited by learning_to_be_free; 03-05-2009 at 12:26 PM.

clinilab is offline Junior Member

I am betting that the nurse meant to make that "slip"...even though nurses are supposed to think only of their patients, many of them tend to have a chip on their shoulders when they encounter a drug addict.

I am betting that your daughter in law was addicted to OxyContin...when she found out she was pregnant she went on methadone. That is why they are mentioning both drugs.

If she'd just stopped taking the Oxycontin cold turkey, she most likely would have misscarried the child. She should be proud that she had the courage to get help when she did....too many people are too embarassed or ashamed and don't get help and either end up miscarrying or continuing to use.

What you need to do is just love that baby. Thats all. Love their parents for giving you a granddaughter that will be healthy and happy.

Your daughter in law has shown how much she loves this baby by having the strength and courage to get help. If you thank her for giving you a miracle and tell her that you love her and want to help, I am willing to bet she will open up and tell you what happened and how.

PS- if the baby is in NICU they've got it covered. She'll be weaned off methadone slowly and she will never remember this happened...you'll forget it too....but her mother will live with guilt. Try to remind her that many women get pregnant under less than perfect circumstances every single day--we wouldn't think any less of a woman who gets pregnant who has diabetes, for instance, even though it's life risking for her and the baby. Many women have to take pain medication when they are pregnant, as well, and we would be understanding of that. Remind her that she kept that baby safe and happy for 9 months in her womb, and that she will do the same for her now that she is out. This two weeks of discomfort,that she will never remember, is but a minor blip in the the lifetime of comfort she will receive from her parents and you.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Methadone treatment is were any woman who is pregnant needs to be. It does not interfere with development of the baby. If she continued the oxycodone abuse then she could have lost the baby or any number of other terrible things.
    Methadone is also not switching one drug for another. Once stable on methadone the patient does not get ''high'' and feels ''normal''. It also allows the brain and body to revert back to their normal state as long term daily opiate abuse chances the chemical make-up of your brain and body. Methadone allow you to heal physically and mentally while allowing you to work, go to school ect.
    When stable on methadone a patient needs to stay away from sweets and fattening foods. A walk twice a day will do wonders as it promotes endorphin production.
    So read up on methadone and learn. There are some people that do abuse methadone but that is becoming fewer by the months as doctors and patients are becoming more and more aware that this drug can be fatal if used improperly. Used properly and it is a wonder drug.
    I abused strong opiates daily everyday for 23 years, I was so bad that I have never been in withdrawls. I have been on methadone now for 7+ years now and I am working full time as a supervisor, my family life has never been better and I have no more depression. So methadone works but you have to work at it. Far to many people aren't told about methadone when they start it and they end up taking there drink and then sitting in front of the tv all day eating, gaining tons of weight. So if you are thinking of MMT then make sure you're ready to work with it..Good luck.....Dave

parde6 is offline New Member

Exclamation I could have written this....

Hi,
    I am so sorry that you are going thru this. The strange thing is that when I spotted your post, for a minute, I thought I had written it. My daughter gave birth 2 weeks ago and the baby is in the NICU for Methadone withdrawal. I have been searching for answers myself.
    I hope we can help each other.
    email me whenever you want, I will always answer.
    parde6@msn.com
    Hugs,
    Sharon