Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Hello everyone. I just registered! I'm about to start WD! and I need help.
    JP_NUC_MED is offline Junior Member

Default Hello everyone. I just registered! I'm about to start WD! and I need help.

Hello everyone. My name is JP and I am about to finish my nuclear medicine program in 2 weeks. I have a beautiful wife and a totally awesome 5 year old boy. I have been on percs for about 2 years approximately. My Mom died last year after battling breast cancer and I started taking these to kind of cope with the pain. I have tried this before a few times but ultimately I relapsed again and again. I seriously want to leave this terrible addiction once and for all. I am ready to do this for good. I just want to know if there is something I can get OTC that can help deal with the WD symptoms. That's what sucks me back in everytime. I don't want to deal with the diarrhea and restlessness and all the other BS that comes with it. Can you guys give me some suggestions. I also never mixed the drugs. The only thing I would often do would be smoke a blunt after I ate some. I have been off weed for about 4 days already but I know what's coming. Please help me out and let me know what I can get to make the WD more tolerable. Thanks in advance.

Bump!!!! Please help me!!!!!!! I only have one perc left and I want to go to walgreens if I need to get anything to help with withdrawals. Please help me!!!!! I don't wanna suffer so I can beat this.

Is anyone willing to help me????!!!!!!! I'm getting desperate.

sunandfun703 is offline Junior Member

JP. I know the feeling of panic that is in your belly right now. I was in that same place 21 days ago. I am telling you right now, once you get to where I am...you will feel sooooo much better. Just keep telling yourself...21 days. You know all too well what is coming the next 4 or 5 days. To deal with the acute short-term WD synmptoms there are a couple of options. I highly reccommend that you search this group for the "Thomas Recipe". Folllow that plan and it will help comfort you for those 4 days. Listen, you are choosing to live a long and happy life by making this decision. Dig your feet in and fight that damn addiction. It is you versus it. Don't let it take that life from you. Get mad and fight that damn thing these 4 days. Once the 4 days pass, it will gradually get better. You will encounter some depression, but that can be managed with herbs in the Thomas Recipe or ssri's from a doctore. Your choice. I am here for you. We are all here for you. Jump on anytime and vent. Just remember...fight!
    shybaybe2003 and smtg10 like this.

Default A couple more items...

I wanted to get me post out there quickly b/c you sounded desperate. Again, I know that feeling as well. I too was an addict for about 2 years. I was anywhere from 40 to 100 mg a day.

I will pray for you. I will also check back frequently to offer any assistance I can. Believe in yourself my friend. Go climb that mountain.

Thanks for the reply sunandfun! I am on my way to walgreens to get some ibuprofen and some imodium for the diarrhea. I have a sleep aid and vitamin b6 already from the last time I tried to quit. Does the Thomas recipe include getting meds from a doc? Because I got all my stuff off the street and I don't have insurance to go to a doc. I will look into that recipe. Thanks for all the nice words. I'm ready to do this. Plus I'm broke so that helps. What do you mean by 21 days? Thanks again.

The Thomas Recipe is below. Valium is the only thing you will not be able to get. I did not use that part of the recipe either. So don't worry about it. If you have a good sleep aid then that should help a little. Even with the valium, sleep is hard to come by in the early going. I was addicted just as long as you were and I made it through. I know you can do it brother. Hang in there.

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Jp
    I was just checking in on you to see how you were doing.. keep posting it really helps. we can help you thru this !!!
    talk to you soon,Melinda

Thanks sunandfun. I read that exact same recipe last time I tried to stop. I already had the b6 and the unisom sleep aid from the last time. All I bought was the mineral supplements, imodium and the ibuprofen. I appreciate the luv! I'm gonna need it because I know that I'm gonna start feeling like absolute ???? soon. And thank you for posting that recipe anyways man.

Thanks Melinda for the response. Well I'm in the process of making a big step to my recovery. Like every other person who has been hooked I have been hiding it from my family. I told my wife while she was at work that I have something to talk to her about. I'm going to lay it all out on the table so I can get over the second life I have been living in the dark. She gets home in 20 minutes so I guess I'll find out soon enough. I just don't want her to be ashamed of me because I sure am. I will definitely keep posting as I progress. Thank you for your nice words melinda and sunandfun. It's nice to know that people whohave never met you or know about your faults can be so accepting and caring. I appreciate it a lot. Thanks again.

Anonymous Guest

Hi JP
    we have all been where you are... we have been thru it, thats why we can all chime in and help...If your wife is mad now don't worry she will be very proud of you when this is over...
    Good luck talking with her !
    it will all be OK !

Well we talked about it and she is not mad. She just wishes I would have told her sooner. I told her that this situation is not something easy to come out with. Anyways, she is on my side about this. So I am ready to begin. I've got about 6 hours down so I'm sure it will be here soon. What are you guys and gals opinions on suboxone?

Suboxone was not for me. I see too many post on here from people asking for help with suboxone withdrawel. However, some people on here may advocate it. I just wanted to pull the bandaid off real fast. Glad to hear you have support at home. Opening up will help you heal. Great job! I will be on tomorrow to see how you are doing. Keep it up!
    shybaybe2003 likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Hi JP
    I agree with sunandfun. If you can do it without subs your way ahead of the game.
    when I got clean I did a taper and then jumped off. it took about 4 days and i started feeling human again.when you can, try to start to do some exercise it will help start your endorphins again.
    Don't forget to put a big X on your calender. first clean day !!!
    Melinda

Well I'm on my way to class and I don't feel bad yet. I definitely feel different but not bad yet. So we'll see.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

First off you need to expect to be down with flu like symptoms for 3-5 days depending on your dosage. Believe it or not this is the easy part. No offense but you're a younger man stop being such a baby! If you started taking these to cover up feelings and depression its all going to come spilling out when the discomfort subsides. I'm telling you this so you're prepared. It's not a few ill days then you're all better, there is a lot that goes into recovery. Physically you need to retrain your brain to produce dopamine again and to get used to pain. You need to be ready and vigilant. Keep your wife angelet family in the loop, no more secrets. They can save your life. Do it now while your addiction is still young. Make no excuses, if you're bed ridden and sick for the next week then so be it. Prolonging it and every attempt makes it harder. Use the knowledge and tools here to help you and ask any question you have.
    sunandfun703 likes this.

Yez -

You are absolutely priceless!

Well I'm not a baby for one. I'm just a full-time dad, full-time college student, and maintain a job at the same time. It's not that I can't physically handle it. It's that withdrawals make it nearly impossible for me to handle the things I have to do. That's all. I am trying to use the tools and info provided. I'm on hour # 20.5 so I'm just gonna keep at it.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JP_NUC_MED View Post
    Well I'm not a baby for one. I'm just a full-time dad, full-time college student, and maintain a job at the same time. It's not that I can't physically handle it. It's that withdrawals make it nearly impossible for me to handle the things I have to do. That's all. I am trying to use the tools and info provided. I'm on hour # 20.5 so I'm just gonna keep at it.
    HI jp
    your going to do fine, you have done this the same way as I did ... It will be a rough for a few days.. I worked thru my w/d and it was hard , but I did it...I use to numb my feelings with pills also, but to tell you the truth it gave me time to heal w/o feeling all the pain, just like your mom passing it has had some time to sink in. so you will grieve but time heals... you have proved your no Baby just by starting this...The power is yours take it and run with it !!!
    your best day is yet to come !!!
    Melinda

Thanks Melinda! Do you know when the diarrhea usually comes??

JP -
    How are you feeling? The single biggest reason people relapse is because of stress triggers. We have so much on our plates, especially when we are both parents and providers. I was, and am, in the same position you are. I am a full time dad, a round-the-clock business executive with employees who rely on me, cook, kid chauffer, etc. My wife is still an addict and as a result I have pills right under my nose. When I was in the pains of withdrawel, every excuse imaginable was running through my brain to go take a pill. “I have a client meeting at 3:00, I can’t go in there like this…just take one pill to get through it”. “I have to coach soccer practice tonight, I cannot get myself out of this bed and there without taking a pill”. Every excuse imaginable went through my head. I had a massive awakening on day 3. The easy way out is never the best way out. A quote popped into my head that I must have read years ago because I don’t remember where or when I had read it. It litterely just popped into my head at the darkest hour. “Nothing worthwhile, is gained without sacrifice.” You are facing the biggest sacrifice of your life. But what you are going to get on the other end is the single greatest gift you will ever give to yourself. You were drowning. But you made the decision to save yourself. Like I said earlier. FIGHT! Sacrifice now, so your future will be filled with peace and happiness. God bless my friend.

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

hey jp, I am rooting for u. I have been where you are just back in april. You just have to take it a day at a time, and i promise it will get better.
    Let us know how ur doing ok?

Thanks for your nice words sunandfun! You know today I got time to actually read your story and it is very moving. I really commend you for stoping with all that's going on around you. That must have been really hard to do. I'm glad you and your wife are on good terms now at least. I feel ok. I mean I know I haven't gotten into the thick of it yet so I know what is coming. I'm on 21.5 hours so I just have to take it little by little. I was in class today and I had the fever chills and the achyness for a little bit. I have to work 12-9 tomorrow so I will just have to push through it. Thanks again sunandfun! I really appreciate the words. Keep on loving the sobriety. I'm looking forward to it myself.

JP -

No problem. When I was down and out, some very nice people on here helped get me through the darkness. I am simply paying it forward. Each of our lives have their own sets of trials and tribulations. I have my own cross to bare and I am dealing with it as best I can. You will do it too. Hang there bud.

Ok well I'm approaching my 48 hour mark and I am definitely feeling it. I had to call out of work today but I have to go in tomorrow at 7AM. I experienced a pretty much sleepless night last night. I think that and the runs are the worst of it for me. I can go through the malaise part. It's just those physical things that bother me. As long as I could get through the night sleeping I think I would be ok. I'm considering getting some weed from my neighbor and smoking some right before bed to see if that will help keep me asleep. I can fight through the rest. Tuning back to the percs is not an option for me and I have my wife by my side helping me. I'm so lucky to have her. She's always asking me what she can do for me. Unfortunately there is nothing she can do. I made my bed now I must sleep in it. Or not sleep in it would be more correct. I'm looking forward to the next 24 hours. I'm almost at the half way point and I am looking at the big picture. Can you guys give me your thoughts on a good sleep aid. I have unisom but I took it last night and it didn't seem to do much. Here is a list of what I'm taking to help me cope for now: centrex multivitamin and multimineral with all those things on the Thomas recipe, ibuprofen, unisom pm + pain releif, vitamin b6, and the antidiarrheal imodium liquid form. Let me know if there is anything I can add to this list that is better then what I'm taking. Much thanks in advance.

Well even though I feel like absolute ????! I have made myself go outside and do things. I went out and threw some target practice with my throwing knives just to get out and do something and it actually helps me feel better. Oh well. I'm just gonna keep trucking along.

JP -
    2 days in! Way to go bud. You are more than half past all the really bad acute stuff. Awesome. Sleep is a really tough one. I did not get much sleep the first 4 nights, so I do not know of any good potions to assist. I took something similar to Unisom, but all that really did was make me yawn while I watched my legs break dance all night. I was able to get my hands on xanax after a while and I mixed it with Dramamine. Now that knocked me out. However, I was already past the acute stuff so not a real test for the acute stuff.

One thing that really helped me was meditation though. I would lay there and put my hands on my stomach. I would just watch my body breathe. I would not force myself to breathe...I would just let my body/mind do what it already subconsciously does...breathe. In my mind, I would say "in" every time I breathed in, and "out" every time I breathed out. Or I would replace those words with "heal" and "love". I know weird. I can't tell you how much that calmed my down. It really, really helped. Be patient, b/c the mind is like strengthening a muscle when meditating. At first, it is hard to keep your concentration for a long time. Your mind wants to race all kinds of thoughts through itself. You just need to let the thoughts pass and then come back to your focused breathing. A great side effect is that they meditation also causes those dormant receptors in your brain to begin producing endorphins. Keep it up my friend. You are almost done with the acute phase!
    Last edited by sunandfun703; 06-11-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks for the words sunandfun and anyone else who has posted in this thread for that matter. I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. So I'm approaching hour 53.5 as we speak and I had diarrhea earlier but I've been doing what the thomas recipe said and have been using the imodium aggressively. And that seems to be helping because I only got it once so far so that's good. Yeah the unisom by itself isn't doing anything so I got some really good weed from my neighbor and since I've been off weed for nearly a week it should put me out and hopefully keep me out so I'm going to see how the unisom and the weed together do for my sleep since I have to be at work tomorrow at 7AM. So off to bed I go. By the time I get off work tomorrow I will be approaching my 72nd hour and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully I get some rest tomorrow. Sunandfun, how long would you say the malaise lasts for? I'm not worried about it because I know I won't relapse again. I am just curious. Thanks all and goodnight.

Great to hear that you are still hanging in there JP. Weed should help with the sleep. The depression kicked in heavy for me at 10 days exactly. In opinion it was worse than the 4 days of detox. However, I had a whole lot going on in my personal life so I suspect that it only worsened my symptoms. You already read about my wife issues. Also I was laid off and the insurance portion of my severance is running out at the end of this month. I am presently helping get a new company off the ground (really stressful) and trying to grow the business so I can work fulltime before the salary portion of my severance runts out in October. All the while my wife is going bananas about our future and our addiction. Long story short, it is now day 24 for me. On day 19 I felt a little better, on day 20 I felt a lot better, on day 21 I was ready to conquer the world, and it has only gotten better from there. 10 days of really solid depression but getting better by the day. I am not out of the woods yet. You need to do some research on something called PAWS. It is supposed to last from 6 months to 2 years. I would say that I am not feeling many of the defined issues at this point, but I expect that I may drop in and out of PAWS for a period of time. I am cognizant of it so that it does not cause me to relapse and to know what is happening to me when a PAWS episode surfaces. Everyone is different. I expect that my brains journey through recovery will be different than yours, and the next person, and the next person, etc. I am doing everything I can to strengthen my recovery. Exercising, staying busy, getting regular sun, eating dark chocolate in moderation, talking to fellow addicts, looking into acupuncture, meditating. I am at war right now and I am using every single one of these tools to win! Keep it up bud. I am very proud of you.
    JP_NUC_MED likes this.

Thanks sunandfun! I just got off work and will be approaching my 3 day mark in about an hour. And honestly, I feel a lot better today. The weed did put me right to sleep last night. I slept at least 6 straight hours last night so that's good. I feel where your coming from about everyone's different journeys and I feel that you are absolutely correct on that. I did work 9 solid hours today and let me tell you I put in some work today boy! I'm exhausted. I feel completely different about quitting this time versus the other times I was going through WD simply because the other times I was nonstop thinking about the pills while my supplier was trying to get more stock you know. This time I don't wanna go back because I don't want to. I think my journey will be different because my home life is way different. My wife is a manager of 2 departments so she makes good money. So no stress there. I'm 2 weeks out from graduating from my nuclear medicine program and I'm one of the better students in my class so I have a lot of reasons to focus on passing my board exams. I know it's very early in the process but I am pretty confident things will get easier. Bring it day 4! I'm ready.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you're doing awesome man Congrats! also, feel free to smoke the ???? out of weed for the next couple weeks to a month. sleep and appetite are very important for recovery and its my personal opinion ( even though I don't smoke ) that pot is a healing medicine, not a drug. quitting opiates is not an easy feat so continue to kick butt and do what is needed to get through!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast