Going into medical detox for Xanax addiction-What should I expect? Please help!
    trayanne is offline Junior Member

Default Going into medical detox for Xanax addiction-What should I expect? Please help!

I'm addicted to Xanax...and have posted several times on this forum and thank everyone for the support that I don't have from my husband.

I've made the calls and have been accepted to be admitted into a 7-10 day medical detox facility for next week. It's a 12 step program w/ group therapies...

I don't know anyone personally who has ever been in detox or have the problems I have and am very scared. I don't want to back out of this and just need some of you to tell me what to expect. What can I do to help myself through the process. They won't tell me what to bring or what to expect until the day before I go in. They said call and let us know when you want to come in...(so that I'm able to make arrangements for my 4 kids and 4 mo.old grandaughter) we'll give you instructions then and schedule you for the next day.

I'm a nervous wreck...can't sleep...can't focus...can't eat...thinking about what's going to happen in there?

I would appreciate any of your personal experiences thoughts and advise.

Bless you all!

Tracy

Dave87666 is offline Member

Trust me Tracy its not going to be bad...You will probably be weened down off the Xanax with something like klonopin(depends on how bad your habit was) and the detox will be just fine...Im sure that you will meet plenty of new friends and whatnot there as well...So what else to expect? Meetings all day,and plenty of bed rest,also FOOD it will be all over the place at all times because once you break an addiction you get hungry as hell! Im a 5 time rehaber myself(actually 10 but I left 5 of them) all for >>>>>>,trust me its not bad(detox I mean),and they make it pretty comfy for you,and there are usually plenty of supportive people there to help you there it all...Most,not ALL,but most rehab/detox's I've been to most of the staff are also recovering addicts...Just dont get yourself worked up about it,think of it as a vacation,and make the most of it!

Im finally almost 8 months clean now because I finnally was able to break my addiction,it may not happen the first time,or it may just do it for you...As far as stuff to bring well that also depends one the place that you do to so I can't quite answer that for you...Just make the most of your time there,and I wish you good luck!

Oh yeah,make SURE that you do the follow up work(appointments) thats what really helps you out in the end...Again good luck,and make sure when your done to come back here,we all like to help,give support/advice,and its also just about as good(for me atleast) as going to an NA or AA meeting..

trayanne is offline Junior Member

Dave...thank you for the advise...and congratulations on your 8 months. I read the threads on here daily and you have given me some advise in past threads and want to say how much I appreciate it.

You're right I need to look at it as a vacation (desparately in need of one). Since I have such severe anxiety and panic attacks do you have any suggestions on what to do to try to stay calm? You know the feeling you get when you feel as if you're dying...having a heart attack...I'm just so afraid of freaking out and losing it.

Also, when you first go in I know that they give you an assesment..I know for sure I'm severely depressed (always have been) do they perscribe an anti-depressant if they feel it's necessary? Do they wean you off of the Xanax while you're in there or do they just give you something different to help with the withdrawals you're having and stop the Xanax abruptly. Also, what is the klonopin and effects?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I know you have a lot of knowledge from all of the posts I've read from you and as I stated earlier I have never been to a detox or known anyone that has.

I will always come back to this forum...the people..the stories and the learning are an inspiration in itself.

Thank you again!
    Tracy

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Klonopin is another benzodiazepine just like xanax except it has a slower onset and has a longer half life.I'm sure you know that xanax doesn't last long and that you have to take multiple doses daily.DAve is right,this can be a positive experience for you.So try and go in with an open mind and work with the people there.Good luck and please come back after you get out weather you get clean or not.....Dave

DJRICHEY is offline New Member

Wink I Was Addicted To Xannax Too

What A Pure Living Hell. I Should Be Dead A Million Times Over. I Abuse Xannax For About 5 Years. I Had A Md On Every Corner. I Was A Nurse So It Was No Problem Getting A Rx. I Went To Many Rehabs And Nothing Helped Until I Went To A Faith Based Rehab. God Has Took That Desire Away Form Me And I Have Ben Free From That Hell For 2 Years On Nov 8 2007. I Truly Believe That The Only Way To Be Free From That Life Is To Give The Problem To God. He Is The Only Way. You Must Go To A Faith Based Rehab And Detox. You Cant Do It On You On. You Have To Be Isolated From That Lifestyle.

Dave87666 is offline Member

Whoa DJ..Thats cool that god,or faith is your deal,but that doesnt mean to ram it down everyone elses throat.Faith based rehab would be pure HELL for me if I went to one so dont even say thats the ONLY way to clean up..Im clean now 7 months(coming up on sunday) from the biggest >>>>>> addiction you'd ever hear of and faith had nothing to do with it(I dont believe in god)...Im sorry but that post just really struck a chord because you're trying to say its the only way when it not..Its more yourself to really get,and stay clean then anything else.

cisaacs27147 is offline New Member

I do not know myself what you will go through but my wife is in detox righ now after abusing xanex for 5 years, somtimes up to 10mg or ore a day. She tore our lives apart. I have found from this that there is almost always a underlying problem which caused the abuse. Please work with the facility on that part to help. I am sorry you do not have the support of a husband, I am standing behind my wife through this and will be there for her 100%, she would do the same for me if things were reversed. This is day 2 for her and all I know about detox is what she has told me on the few phone calls I get each day. So fr here is how things have went for her.

She hit rock bottom wensday night. She took unknown amount of liquid demerol, several Soma and a couple xanex, as well as about 10 shots of vodca and 6 beers all withing 1/2 hour. She became overwelmed with greif and began talking about stuff that had happened to her as a child including neglect and sexual abuse by hefather. I won't go into deatail. Shortly after she began to pass out and her breathing stopped. I got her arroused and called 911. She was transported to the hospital and after watching her for hours she was admitted for detox and help.

Day one included multiple interviews with tons of people and getting her settled in and discussing her route of treatment. She is not allowed shoes, bra's with metal in them, no makeup, they took a large family picture. I guess nothing she could hurt herself with or sneak in anything.

Day 2 has been more interviews, meds to help with withdraws, and support.
    She has called 3 times today and sounds better each time. She said everyone is supper nice and really helping. Things are looking bright for her and our family. I am now waiting for our goodnight call. I will get to visit with her Sunday which will be day 4. I also get to meet with her and a theropist then to start the family healing.

Be strong and don't be afraid, I do not know what it is really like but from what I am getting from her things are good. We are both real lonely but this is the right thing to do.

I will be glad to keep you post over the next few days as to what is going on so you will know what to expect. Shoot me an email at
    cwicei27147@yahoo.com

Good luck and hang in there, you have made the most important descision now follow through and get better to take care of those kids.