Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By silvia44
getting off vicodin
    silvia44 is offline New Member

Default getting off vicodin

Well, I finally got the nerve to stop taking Vicodin. I've been taking them for about 2 yrs now, after having 2 surgeries on my arm. Today is my first day without them, and already I'm starting to feel the effects. I have the real bad diahreah, and I feel nervous. I've been reading on the other people tht have had these symptoms, and they say the worst is usually the first week off them.. my question is after that week, will I be cured from the effects in my system? The feeling hot/cold, stomach upset, nervousness, etc. I too am trying to do this @ home because going to a rehab is also out of the question for me. I'm also doing this without my husband knowing, but after reading about this, I think i'm going to tell him tonight so he'll know what to expect from me. I decided to do this for my 2 girls. They need me, and I was just getting tired of waking up everymorning depending on these damn pills.
    Thanks for listening

JennyOD likes this.

EasyMeds is offline Banned

How long it takes the w/ds to completely go away depends on the person and how much they have been taking (mgs per day) - but yes usually after a week the worst is over. BTW some Immodium extra strength might help a bit. Advil can help a bit too. But expect some of the intestinal distress to probably take longer to go away...although it will keep getting better.

The MOST important thing to remember is that if you take even ONE pill containing hydro you will basically start the w/d back over again. So you have made it a day......congrats!!!!!! Keep going 1 day at a time. It will get better.

Telling your husband is a good idea. He will be worried about you otherwise and you really need the support right now. Sometimes just having someone hold you when you feel the worst can make you feel better.

Best of luck!!!! Be strong and hang in there!

Paul

quote:Originally posted by www.EasyMeds2005.NET

How long it takes the w/ds to completely go away depends on the person and how much they have been taking (mgs per day) - but yes usually after a week the worst is over. BTW some Immodium extra strength might help a bit. Advil can help a bit too. But expect some of the intestinal distress to probably take longer to go away...although it will keep getting better.

The MOST important thing to remember is that if you take even ONE pill containing hydro you will basically start the w/d back over again. So you have made it a day......congrats!!!!!! Keep going 1 day at a time. It will get better.

Telling your husband is a good idea. He will be worried about you otherwise and you really need the support right now. Sometimes just having someone hold you when you feel the worst can make you feel better.

Paul

Thank you Paul. I did tell my husband, and my mother. They both were totally supportive. My mother understood, and well, my husband, he kinda knew all along, he just didnt want to tell me how to deal with my arm pain. I do still feel pain due to the surgery, I have an MRI coming up soon cuz Dr. thinks now the prob might be a pinched nerve in my neck, and not in the elbow. Nonetheless, I won't be taking Vicodin anytime soon. And I still have 1 left in my med. cabinet in the restroom. I used to carry my pills in my purse, so taking them out was a big step too. I would never leave the house w/out them, and today, I did just that! So I think I'm on the right track.
    I was taking 500mg vic/ 4 pills a day for about 15 mths
    then, it went up to 750mg/12 pills a day for 3 mths.
    I also would take soma every now and then for neck spasms.
    So am I going to have severe w/d's?
    And are they going to last longer than a full week?
    I've been reading on how people suffer for the whole month?
    Please let me know...

thanks

quote:Originally posted by silvia44

Paul
    another thing I wanted to know:
    My legs are aching, and I'm not hungry.
    Is that all part of the w/d's?

Thank you Paul. I did tell my husband, and my mother. They both were totally supportive. My mother understood, and well, my husband, he kinda knew all along, he just didnt want to tell me how to deal with my arm pain. I do still feel pain due to the surgery, I have an MRI coming up soon cuz Dr. thinks now the prob might be a pinched nerve in my neck, and not in the elbow. Nonetheless, I won't be taking Vicodin anytime soon. And I still have 1 left in my med. cabinet in the restroom. I used to carry my pills in my purse, so taking them out was a big step too. I would never leave the house w/out them, and today, I did just that! So I think I'm on the right track.
    Please let me know...

thanks

EasyMeds is offline Banned

Paul
    another thing I wanted to know:
    My legs are aching, and I'm not hungry.
    Is that all part of the w/d's?

Please let me know...

thanks
    Most of the really bad cases you hear about are people who are taking 10-15 10mg pills a day. It sounds like you were at 5 and then 7.5 mg which is enough to cause w/d it should drag on too long. Also keep in mind that some of w/d is mental. If you think you are in for bad w/ds your mind will make it worse. Generally speaking if that is the amount you were taking you were taking a pretty low amount, although for a long time, so I wouldn't expect it to be too bad for you. It definatly won't go on for weeks and weeks, and I would be surprised if you didn't start feeling better in a few days. I think the longest thing will be stomach/intestinal issues. Drink lots of sports drinks (like Gatoraid) to keep well hydrated and that will also help with some of the other "feeling icky" stuff.

I'm glad that you told your husband and mother...now you have your own support group. Have you told your doctor about this? There are anti-nausa medications that can be taken (don't worry not addictive ) like Prochlorper that can help you with the stomach issues so you can eat and keep up your strength. But again, I really don't think you are in for too hard of a time....you're lucky that you didn't end up at a point of taking more!!!

Good luck and keep me posted!!! You're still are taking all of the right steps!

Paul