Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
getting off suboxone
    gingersass is offline New Member

Default getting off suboxone

I was a norco addict 120 mgs a day. I was killing myself and got the help of adoctor who prescribed suboxone for me. It worked. Iv been clean a year and a half, but now I wanna be off it.

This is the problem, suboxone is harder than norc to get off of.My doc thinks lifetime maintenance is the answer, but I disagree, so we have parted ways. I have enough for 10 days, and am slowy tapering, but going down from 4 mgs to 2 has been very hard and going from two to zero had mein bed crying doubled over in pain and sick to my stomach for 18 days straight. I went back to the suboxonr, bur

I need a new plan. Has anyone successfuly gottenoff this medicine?[

ginger, new york city

Thor283 is offline New Member

Hi Ginger,

I haven't been able to get off neither. I hate this drug. Go here and there are people who have gotten off and will advise you on how. But from what I read, you will need a lot more than 10 days to do it. Once you stay on Bupe over a few months it takes a long time to get off. But the sooner you start, the sooner you will finish. I wish you the best in this.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-15-2008 at 09:38 PM.

tracker704 is offline New Member

Why is suboxone so hard to get off of? Please excuse my ignornance. My 19 year old daughter just told me she is addicted to hydrocodone, vicodin, etc. How does suboxone make you feel? Is it also addictive?
    I guess I was thinking it was like atnitbuse to an alcoholic. My daughter knows she has a problem...i need all of your advice please ..thanks alot Sue

bpchep is offline New Member

I have gotten off of suboxone successfully, albeit through many programs and done after one year on 75 mg of Methadone. The trick is to be comfortable at the lowest dose possible and then extend the time between doses, (and don't get tempted if you feel a little discomfort. Xanax helps enormously). Then, start cutting (dont break) the tablets into ever decreasing pieces while still extending the dose intervals by 2 hour increments. When you reach about 1 mg, take 2 last 1/2 mg doses 12 hours apart. The next day you will walk away feeling excellent. Stay away from trigger locations and people you used to hang with while doing dope. Find some friends or something to occupy your time for at least 6 months if not a year and you wont have any problems and will have lost a great deal of the urges to get high. It's a long process my friend. I went through it. But Suboxone is far better than Methadone which I was on for a year, and like you, I didn't particularly like being thrown in with the general population of addicts at the Methadone clinic every day. But never loose sight of the fact that you and I are addicts. We were born with a type A personality, and addiction to any substance comes easy for us. In closing, It's up to you if you want to be an addict for the rest of your life (and the longer you are, your chances of killing the monkey deminishes rapidly), or you want a normal life and to become a productive member of society and live out the only life you will ever have on this beutiful earth with the ability to stop and smell the flowers and the trees. It's a religious experience once you achieve it and you'll realize just what you have been missing. All the bad, guilty feelings go away, you can think straight, you can hold a job and experience the american dream. So try my method, and may God be with you.
    tlcmel likes this.

jsober is offline New Member

Default i got off suboxone

Like so many others I discovered the hard way that suboxone was not the miracle cure for opiate addiction I thought it was. The first doctor I saw actually wanted me to take 24 mgs a day or more. Thank God I did not take his advice. I was on 8 mgs a day for over a year. I decided I wanted off the suboxone and I jumped off at 4 mgs...I thought I was gonna die the withdrawl was so bad and what makes it so much more of a mind blower is that I felt fine for 2 full days, thought everything was great, and THEN the symptoms came. I had to go out on the street and buy H to function. Then I went back to the doctor and refilled my script for sub. This time I started on 4, cutting the 8 mg pills in half. I stayed at 4 for 2 weeks or so then I dropped to 2. I continued on 2, again for a couple of weeks and felt fine. I then started taking 2 every other day, this drug stays in your system so long that I still felt only mild discomfort. I dropped to one mg a day for a week or so then 1 mg every other day and then finally I stopped. The first day I was fine and then everything hit at once, diarrhea, vomitting and extreme anxiety, but this lasted only one day. The next day I had a runny nose and felt irritable but not too bad. What is most important in my opinion, is to remember how long this drug stays in your system and to cut back very very gradually. This is a powerfull drug and a dose as little as 4 or 2 mgs is actually a big dose. I don't think doctors realize how painfull and perplexing the withdrawl from suboxone is, all that business about it being a partial agonist etc means nothing, I would rather kick oxys or whatever cold turkey than go on suboxone any day, its a walk in the park compared to dealing with sub. Several friends of mine have been on suboxone for 2 or more years and they have no idea how bad they are messing themselves up. They may be on it for the rest of their lives while the truth is that they could have endured a 5 to 7 day period of withdrawl long ago, commited to therapy and backed it up with naltrexon treatment, insuring they would not develop a dependency even if they did relapse, and by this time be truely free of drug dependency. No matter what strides you make, how far you move your life in the right direction, if your on suboxone you have the spector of withdrawl ever present in your life, what if you can no longer afford the drug or your script is stolen or 1000's of scenarios where you can't get it? my advice is to get off sub ASAP and begin living without being a slave to any of this ********************. Just take it very very slow and be prepared for the day you drop to 0 mgs, have some klonodine and some xanax on hand, your doctor should be willing to provide these. best of luck, don't build it up in your mind, move ahaed and don't look back.

cehoffman7 is offline New Member

Your post have really helped me. I am currently on suboxene and trying to get off. I still have a few questions though I would like to ask you. Would you e-mail me @clay.e.hoffman@gmail.

jeanineM is offline New Member

Wow. I am saying a prayer for you while you go through these horrible withdrawls. Stick with getting off. You will feel so much better.

Gavi is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by gingersass View Post
    I was a norco addict 120 mgs a day. I was killing myself and got the help of adoctor who prescribed suboxone for me. It worked. Iv been clean a year and a half, but now I wanna be off it.

This is the problem, suboxone is harder than norc to get off of.My doc thinks lifetime maintenance is the answer, but I disagree, so we have parted ways. I have enough for 10 days, and am slowy tapering, but going down from 4 mgs to 2 has been very hard and going from two to zero had mein bed crying doubled over in pain and sick to my stomach for 18 days straight. I went back to the suboxonr, bur

I need a new plan. Has anyone successfuly gottenoff this medicine?[

ginger, new york city
    Ginger..Please be careful,as you are titrating off too rapidly.It is far more potent than you know.I am a med. school student who dropped out because,I thought I could do what you are trying to do.As was explained to me by Robert,below 4mg. i s the danger zone.!!I titrated off twice,once in 2 weeks,and onceam in a month,and failed both times due to the very severe depression and anxiety,etc.After so long,your time on it ,is the same as mine,I am on a now,4 to 6 month taper.I can appreciate very much your wanting to get off,as do I,but it is unrealistic in your time frame.My doctor told me the same thing,and I had to go back,and get more suboxone.The only thing I am doing different,is NOT discussing my titrate schedule with him,and am doing it as suggested by those on this board.I do lead the dr. to think I am on the maintaneance plan,as it is easier,I later found out to do it this way.I know my body,and mind,and soul and spirit,and it will take longer than I ever imagined.The doctors who prescribe it,are not in the business,so to speak,of getting you off of it.It is relatively new to the U.S.,so to speak,so getting people off is not the main goal at this point.Take your time,take care of you,and do not rush.Honor yourself.Ginger.:Gavi

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Default suboxone taper

The thing about a suboxone taper when we get to 4mg is simple. The reductions represent a larger portion of what we are currently taking, so we need to start making small tapers .... like reducing by .5-1mg at a time depending on how long we have been using the suboxone. At the very end it's about tapering by only a sliver if we want NO symptoms. When we take into account the half-life in addition to the very small tapers this whole process seems to drag on forever at the end. But that is the way this needs to be done if we don't want W/D symptoms. And a taper off suboxone can be done pretty much symptom free if done properly.
    Fizzle the Satch and Kickit like this.

movado2008 is offline New Member

I have sucessfully gotton off of Suboxone before but I jumped off at 0.5 mg and tapered down to that level. There is no need to be on Suboxone treatment forever if you get a support sytem in place.

bc422 is offline New Member

Default i am so sick of false info on suboxone

if you are on suboxone like me i pitty you. this stuff is damn near impossible to get off. i am on .5 mg per day and get wicked sick if i dont take it for a day or so. almost every thing i read about it gets me mad and what gets me wicked mad is when people say its the easyest opiate to get off, thats plain bs. ive kicked bad >>>>>> habbits and that is way less painful than sub. ive seen people go into detox for alcohol and make the mistake of saying they liked to take a perc here and there and leave with a 600 dollar a month sub habbit that they will never get off this is plain evil! if you or a loved one is having a opiate prob dont go on sub or methadone except for the fact its cheaper it is way worse. what i am planing to do and i think it will work is get some codine with tylonol and take it for a few months till the sub get out of my system and then taper off that. the fact is that codine is the gentlest opiate to come off. it breaks down into morphine into your body but at 1 tenth the streangth. the bottom line is you have to suffer to get off opiates but not as bad as you would coming off of suboxone. i mean i was on half a mg for months and i just dont see how you can taper more than that. if you can taper down on codine you will be sick for a few days tops. and just to point out i think there is a big differance between taking sub for a few days than long termi have seen 1 person taper off >>>>>> by taking small amounts for 3 days than just being sick for a few days but if you go on that stuff you will get hooked and either go back to illegle drugs that are easier to get off stay on that miserable stuff for the rest of your life unless you have balls of steel or go to jail or something. if you are having trouble with that stuff or thinking about putting your kid on it feel free to email me at bc.422@hotmail.com. sry bout the spelling

Vicissitude is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by bc422 View Post
    it breaks down into morphine into your body but at 1 tenth the streangth. the bottom line is you have to suffer to get off opiates but not as bad as you would coming off of suboxone.
    Forgetting about your atrocious spelling and grammar for a moment, your information is completely false. Tapering should ONLY, and let me repeat ONLY be monitored by a certified doctor, whether it be an opioid or an agonist like Suboxone or Subutex.

If done correctly, coming off of Suboxone is so much easier than coming off opioids. I did it quite easily with the help of my doctor. Spewing out what you experienced doesn't make it right. You definitely did not use the proper medical protocol to try (and that would go for all of you who have posted about Suboxone withdrawal).

Thanks for straightening us out. I guess all of these people who have pain drs and sub drs who have them taking ridiculous amounts of medication for extended periods of time should just keep right on doing what they're doing.

I mean if a dr says it's right then that's good enough. No reason to question ANYTHING that a dr says. You say these people "spewing"out their experience doesn't make it right and you're doing the same thing. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Magdalena12 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vicissitude View Post
    Forgetting about your atrocious spelling and grammar for a moment, your information is completely false. Tapering should ONLY, and let me repeat ONLY be monitored by a certified doctor, whether it be an opioid or an agonist like Suboxone or Subutex.

If done correctly, coming off of Suboxone is so much easier than coming off opioids. I did it quite easily with the help of my doctor. Spewing out what you experienced doesn't make it right. You definitely did not use the proper medical protocol to try (and that would go for all of you who have posted about Suboxone withdrawal).
    Dear Vicissitude-

I feel I have to add something to you post regarding "suboxone taper should only be monitored by a certified doctor". The FACT is, even doctors "certified" in suboxone therapy OFTEN DO NOT taper or perform induction of suboxone properly. Many people have come to this site scared to death of suboxone because they have tried using it to "taper" per their physicians instructions and have had terrible withdrawal, precipitated withdrawal, etc. I think you are extremely lucky if you happen upon an addiction physician that has taken the time and effort to follow his patient's closely to perform a proper unduction and adjust the taper dosages according to their symtpoms. Plus, most doctors, mine included, tend to think that patients need to be on suboxone for a year or more before even attempting to taper. It is my understanding, from monitoring this site and reading many posts that the longer you are on suboxone, the harder it is to get off of, just like any addictive drug. Many people have come to this forum desperate, myself included. There are people (Robert, Melinda, Musicman, etc) who are very dedicated and have had a lot of experience helping people taper off suboxone and I can tell you the taper schedule is VERY different than what most doctors would have you do. There have been many success stories here, people who were about to give up on the process of getting clean because the "doctor's taper" was just wrong. The people that monitor this site have been in our shoes and they know what works. I'll give you an example of what my "certified subxone physician" told me. My first visit after being inducted on suboxone (I followed the induction protocol from THIS site, not my doctors), I was feeling very clear-head and very hopeful for the first time in YEARS. He proceeded to tell me that he doubted I could ever get off opiates (I had been on methadone for 2 years and norco for 5 years) and that it was likely I would be on suboxone for a long time, even my lifetime. I was devasted, but fortunately I have the support of the people in this little community and I chose to listen to them as they are living proof that it CAN be done, if done properly. Everyone reacts differently to drugs or medications and I feel it is VITAL to be monitored closely, which is what they do here, so that the APPROPRIATE changes can be made to your dose when necessary. There is a gentleman here named Robert that has literally sat up all night helping people get inducted onto suboxone properly and helped people taper off successfully! Successful induction takes close monitoring to know when it is safe to take your first dose, but most physicians just give the patient a set amount of hours since their last dose of opiates to start the suboxone, OFTEN this leads to precipitated withdrawal.

I am an R.N. and usually I would agree with you about medications being "monitored by a certified doctor", but in the case of suboxone I think many physicians just aren't interested in this "type" of medicine to take the time that is required to monitor their patient's appropriately.

mags
    Last edited by Magdalena12; 04-13-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Vicissitude is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Thanks for straightening us out.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    God bless.
    I didn't sneeze.

You're going to be really popular here I can promise you! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Anonymous Guest

Default What Protocol ?

I would like to know what was your " proper medical protocol' and your taper schedule? Also, did you have many w/d symptoms? How long did they continue? Also, what was your induction dose? Oh one more thing what were you addicted to and for how long? I would like to hear all you have to say before I decide the best route .Linda

ddosher is offline Member

Default My 2 Cents @ 36 Days

Quote Originally Posted by Vicissitude View Post

I am detoxing of of suboxone. Today is day 36. It has been the worst experience of my life physically and mentally. Pure hell. I was forced to get off because of financial problems. My Dr. KNEW the situation and let me tell you...he hung me out to dry. But I prefer to focus on the fact that there was no education regarding the effects of this drug in the long run. That is WRONG. If these Dr.'s are certified, then that should be the 1st order of business... I admit, it was my own stupidity that kept me in the dark...I only did my research AFTER I jumped. I would venture a guess that there are VERY FEW Drs. that are REALLY understanding AND willing to get the $ out of their eyes and TELL THE TRUTH up front. The suboxone hotline is full of
    S%$&. I am not saying that suboxone is not a valid tool in the fight against the demon opiads, but it should be used for a short time and other support from the program of the users choice should be in place. It cannot be the answer long-term in and of itself.

I would encourage anyone coming to this board for information to please read these posts and in particular read Robert_325. Suboxone should never be used long-term or for a lifetime. THAT is ********. It is very important to get these facts before embarking. I wish all the very best if luck and the best piece of advise I can give you, the patient, is to be your OWN advocate. We PAY these Drs. WE are the boss.

Donna

snap_knight is offline New Member

Default How to start

I've been on suboxone for four years. I've had 11 major surgeries and have been on pain medicine for a long time. In between surgeries, I have been on suboxone. I am now at 2 mg/day and have been there for a year.

I don't think I am going to have any more surgeries, but the last time I tried to get off was a nightmare.

I appreciate this site and all of the posts. To those that say you should only follow the Dr's instructions, I say bull. My doctor is only interested in keeping me on. Where else can you make $100 for a three minute visit and a script for a month?

I am a health care professional for 30 years and I tried several docs trying to get off of this stuff. Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by snap_knight View Post
    I've been on suboxone for four years. I've had 11 major surgeries and have been on pain medicine for a long time. In between surgeries, I have been on suboxone. I am now at 2 mg/day and have been there for a year.

I don't think I am going to have any more surgeries, but the last time I tried to get off was a nightmare.

I appreciate this site and all of the posts. To those that say you should only follow the Dr's instructions, I say bull. My doctor is only interested in keeping me on. Where else can you make $100 for a three minute visit and a script for a month?

I am a health care professional for 30 years and I tried several docs trying to get off of this stuff. Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated.

I can help you. I just need you to go along with me and I'll walk you down and off the subs.

Start out tomorrow reducing that 2mg by 25% down to 1.5mg. Do a split dose ... .75mg twice daily. Stay there four days if you don't experience any w/d symptoms. Keep me posted as you go forward and we'll have you totally clean in less than 2 months without any significant problems.

I do this every day. Read around the forum. God bless.

osubucks is offline New Member

I too am exactly at this point in my suboxone "treatment". It did work great to help me get off the opiates. Although, at this point (especially as I read many of the blogs above) I am disgusted and "scared" about quitting this stuff. I have been taking sub's for about a year and 2 months. I have slowly been reducing it. I started at about 10 mg/day and I am know down to 2mgs/day. I will take your advice and some of the others and VERY SLOWLY reduce it. I guess, based on what I have been reading, this is the best way to do it??!! I sometimes think I should of just "bit the bullet" and went to rehab for 30 days a year and a half ago? Anyway, thanks for any advice anyone out there may have. I promise to share my experience as I continue to reduce my dose.

I also really wonder if this stuff has acted as an anti-depressent for me all this time? Maybe that will another hurdle to go over after I get off this stuff..

osubucks ... just follow the 25% reduction every four days that you don't have w/d symptoms. Post how you're doing and we'll give you advice as you go along. That's pretty much how we do it here with everyone. But we get results too! God bless.

RubyDean is offline Member

osu, good that you came here, and found out the dirt on subs, but more importantly the taper plan that in my opinion is a necessity to getting off them. you can taper down starting TODAY if you want to. go down to 1.5mg, and do that for a week, and then taper down to 1mg, then to .75, .50, and .25mg's. Once you get under 1mg it gets a little tricky in my experience, especially someone who has been on subs for a long time, but it is totally doable. you have to want it, and i think yes, there might be some anti-depressant qualities to the subs, and that is part of the taper, but also you need to fill that void with something bigger, faith, religion, spirituality, NA, church, etc. It is the only way for me, cause I know I can't do it on my own. Willpower is one thing, but this is much more in my case. All the will. It's never too late.

Duckbill4375 is offline New Member

Default Robert 4375

Hello Robert,

It sounds like you are really helping alot of people. Thank you for that. I am a workaholic and started my own construction business many years ago and really messed my back up in the process. I started out on Tramadol over 12 years ago. I hurt my back really bad. My dad reccomended I ask my Doctor about Tramadol because he was taking it for Arthritis and his Doctor told him it was not addictive. Well we both found out different. I was taking 6 to 8 Tramadol Pills a day. I think the maximum dose was 8 pills. I think my Dad still takes 3 or 4 pills a day. He is 78 years old so that is fine. But I wanted off of the pills. Thru out the years everytime I would talk to any Doctor they would tell me not to worry about it that these pills are a minor pain pills and I was well within the dose. But I wanted off. I was functioning just fine running a successful business. My wife did some research and found a pain management Doctor. Before I knew it he had me on Suboxene. I trusted him. After a month I ask my Suboxene Doctor when do I stop taking this Suboxene. He would ignore my question and ask how everything was and give me another prescription. I was taking 3 tablets 2 mg. a day. Anyhow 3 of those little pills a day. It now looks to me like Suboxene is way worse than Tramadol. Every month my wife and I would go to this Doctor. My wife was very upset and she would say to the Doctor now what is going on lets get off this stuff. He would be real smooth and I would walk out the door with another prescription. Finally my wife could not stand it anymore and she would not come along to the Doctor visits. These Doctors have quite a scam. It was $180 for a 10 minute Doctor visit. I was paying cash for everything because I did not want it on my insurance. I later found out he was trying to charge my insurance company for another visit piggy backing the 2 visits together. It has now been 1 1/2 years. I talked to the Doctor this last time and told him I want off. I weaned myself down to 1/2 pill last Friday. I went down from the 3 a day to 1 a day maybe in a couple weeks pretty easy. I took that 1/2 pill on Friday and decided that was it. Saturday was hell and my wife finally gave me 1/4 of a pill and I felt better right away. I tried 1/2 pill for a couple of days and it has been rough and I am back up to 3/4 of a pill a day now. The trouble is I am trying to run a pretty demanding busines at the same time. I found out you can get these pills compounded at a special pharmacy. They will make them in 1/8 tablets so I do not even have to cut them. What would you reccomend? I have started doing alot of research and there really is not much help for people addicted to suboxene. It is very sad what our country has to offer for this type of situation. I do not think at this point it would be worth me spending $10,000 at a Rapid Detox place. I am open for suggestions. These Doctors do not have a clue.

Thank you
    Last edited by Duckbill4375; 08-11-2009 at 09:59 PM.

I can just taper you down with the 2mg pills. You don't have to compound anything, this isn't that exact of a science. If you'll be naive and go along with me I will help you get beyond this.

You need to be totally stable then we'll finish this off properly. It sounds like you were stable at 2mg. I think you should take that for a couple days, then we start tapering down. We'll have you off without a bunch of pain in six weeks or so.

Let me know. God bless.

Default Robert 4375

Sounds good Robert. I will call my suboxene doctor and get some more pills. I will go back to 1- 2mg. pill a day and try to get back to normal. When I start filling better I will let you know.

Thank you

Default Robert 4375

Hello Robert,

I have been taking just 1 pill a day, the 2 mg pills. It seems like I am not doing as good as I thought I would be. I am functioning ok I guess. Maybe this is as good as it gets. I take 1/2 pill about 6 am or 7 am in the morning and take the second half about 3 pm or 4 pm. I got some Clonidine from the Doctor. I take that once in a while. That seems to help. I am afraid to take that Clonidine to often. Are there any problems with Clonidine? I just do not have a whole lot of energy. My wife says I am difficult to get along with. I guess I am not in a real good mood. Is all of this pretty normal for what my body and brain are going thru. I saw in some post somewhere where a guy got off of suboxene for a day or two and then when the withdrawls got real bad he started taking some pain medication for 1 week. He then immediately stopped the pain medication so he did not get addicted again. He said he just about eliminated the withdrawls. It sounds a little crazy and I am sure no doctor would tell you that would be the route to take. What is your opinion on that? Is ther anything else than will help?

Thanks

carly_jayne is offline New Member

i am currently prescribed 4 mgs of suboxone a day. i've been taking this medication for almost 2 years now and am finally ready to quit. i generally only take 2 mgs a day...some days 3 mgs. it's been that way for almost the past year. this is a very terrifying and intimidating thing for me because i'm so afraid of the withdrawal symptoms. quite a few of my family members know about my situation and are on board to support me through this process. from what i read on this thread, it seems that you can successfully get off this medication by "weaning" yourself down. those of you that have quit successfully, is this how you did it? i paid particular attention to the posts from "Robert_325" who suggested weaning down in 25% increments for 4 or so days at a time. is there anything else you can tell me Robert, or any words of advice or encouragement (they would be greatly appreciated right about now!!!). if anyone else would like to offer up any info, please do!!!
    thanks

confusion99 is offline New Member

My bf has been on suboxone for over a yr and a half now. He is considering getting off of it and is not sure how to go about it. He is low so tapering may be harder than we expect. Any advice?

duckbill, carly_jayne, and confusion .... I can help all you guys get off the subs. Read the following link and talk with me afterwards. My only requirement is a 100% commitment to following my instructions. Let me know if you want my help. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast