Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
getting off suboxone
    thesnuggler is offline New Member

Default dear gingerass

I've been on suboxone many times before. My qualifications are that i started injecting H in 2001, and didn't stop for more than 28 days until 2008. I've found that easiest way to detox from suboxone is the stagger technique. What you do is make sure your daily dose is halved taking one half in the morning one half at night. When you want to go down in your dose, take your normal morning dose. When it comes time for your nightly dose halve it. The following day go back to normal dose. The next day, go back to lower dose. Alternate between normal and lower doses for 4 or 6 days, then stay at lower dose. Stay at the lower dose for about a week, then lower morning dose using stagger technique. When you get down to .05 mg a day stagger between a morning dose of .05 and no nightly dose to no dose at all the next day.

I've used this technique after being on a maintenance dose of 2mg a day for two years. It wasn't a picnic to get off, but its a hell of a lot easier than stopping cold Turkey, even from a dose of 1 mg a day. I hope this helps.

oakley-79 is offline New Member

hi, ive been reading a few posts and was just looking for some advise. i am supposed to start suboxone in two days due to a 2 year addiction with oxycodone. i didnt know that you could get addicted to suboxone and now im not sure if i should start it or not but i desperatly want to be off the painkillers and dont think i can go through the withdrawls. what is the least ammount of time that i could take the suboxones for without getting addicted???? any help grateful and very much appreciated

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

There are people on this forum, specifically a guy named Robert, who can help you with the sub avoiding any major addiction to it. I don't blame you for wanting to not go through w/d. Who does? Most doctors don't know a darn thing about sub or how to taper and they will screw you up with high dosages, more than you need, which make it take longer to get off. Your best bet is to wait for a knowledgable answer from someone on here who can help you do the sub pretty much pain free. Good luck
    NYG

Robert_325 is offline Retired

NYG ..... thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it.

oakley ..... I've been working with people using subs for years here on the forum. Here is a link to follow that explains the basics of how I suggest using it. Sub therapy can be pretty much incident free as NYG mentioned, it just HAS to be done properly.

Read the link paying very close attention to the INDUCTION section. Lots of sub drs start patients out on WAY TOO MUCH medication and it causes so many problems. Read the link closely and we'll talk more tomorrow.

I'm happy to help you any way that I can as long as you will follow the suggestions I give you. That is the only way the process I suggest works is to follow it very closely. We'll talk later if you're interested. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

lanc24 is offline New Member

I have been off suboxone for 4-5 months now, I tapered to one milligram then jumped. Some of the worst withdrawals I have ever felt, and I would never even consider taking suboxone again. It took at month or so for it to go away if not longer, and it is miserable. You should taper down more than I did, but either way in my opinion a drug this addictive should be avoided all together.

thankyou newyorkgal. and robert thankyou so much for your advise, i have read alot of your posts on different forums here and your like an angel helping alot of people. my doctor gave me a prescription for two 8mg suboxone which i have to bring along to my appointment tomorrow, im not sure if she is going to have me take both tablets tomorrow or not. should i just insist that i start with 2mg??? i know its a silly question but im just afraid that by tomorrow i will be feeling so bad that i will take any relief she offers to me without questioning it. i really dont want to withdraw from suboxone, i know in my heart that if i get all the painkillers out of my system i will NEVER take them again. i would never put myself through this again its been the most lonely depressing scariest part of my life so far. thanks for all your help robert, its alot of comfort knowing i have somewhere to come for advise or just to chat and knowing i am not alone. thankyou xx

Quote Originally Posted by oakley-79 View Post
    thankyou newyorkgal. and robert thankyou so much for your advise, i have read alot of your posts on different forums here and your like an angel helping alot of people. my doctor gave me a prescription for two 8mg suboxone which i have to bring along to my appointment tomorrow, im not sure if she is going to have me take both tablets tomorrow or not. should i just insist that i start with 2mg??? i know its a silly question but im just afraid that by tomorrow i will be feeling so bad that i will take any relief she offers to me without questioning it. i really dont want to withdraw from suboxone, i know in my heart that if i get all the painkillers out of my system i will NEVER take them again. i would never put myself through this again its been the most lonely depressing scariest part of my life so far. thanks for all your help robert, its alot of comfort knowing i have somewhere to come for advise or just to chat and knowing i am not alone. thankyou xx

If you can get away with only taking 2mg and then leaving you'll be best off. Tell the dr you'll take more later. Then get on here and let me help you do the induction properly. I swear that I will make this better for you than anyone who tells you to take 8mg twice a day I don't care what their credentials are.

Almost all the horror stories you read about subs are from people who didn't use it properly. They listened to a dr who was advised by a drug company salesperson. It's ironic that those salespeople have BS degrees. If you start taking 16mg a day you'll end up just like the rest of them trying to figure why this is going so badly or you'll end up addicted to the silly things. That's a guarantee.

I know what works. But if you tell the dr you're working with someone online they will tell you I'm crazy and you're nuts to listen to someone like me. I hear it all the time. But the proof is in the results here. I would like someone to show me another place other than this forum that has the results with subs that we have here. It's not to be found I don't believe. I will put my results with subs up against anyone anywhere. I mean that sincerely. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Lanc, you are saying getting off was a horror for your and scaring people and that is not fair. YOU JUMPED AT 1 MG. If you had read the advice given here (by Robert and every other successful taperer) you'd know that 1 mg. is pretty high considering the strength of sub and you could have taken it down wayyyy lower. Also, how long were you on sub altogether? I don't say sub is for every single person but I do say that when it is done properly, the way its advocated here, NOT the way a doctor says OR by our own devices, it will be relatively painless.
    Oakley, you WONT feel that bad by tomorrow. I was on methadone for years, and went 72 hours with nothing before induction and I didn't feel like going out dancing but I lived through it. Don't scare yourself. Fear is the worst enemy. If you do the taper as advised, you won't have to go through sub withdrawal
    Robert, thanks for the acknowledgment and have a great day. We are both children of the '60s and PEACE was the word LOL.
    NYG
    NYG

i was just wondering if i would be able to go through induction with as little sub as possible and then stop taking it after 2 weeks or so without tapering down completly to 0mg??? would i still get withdrawls from it even though i was only using it for 2 weeks????

It's impossible to say if it will last two weeks. I honestly doubt it but you are the only one that can stretch it. It will be tough but not impossible. You've just have to use the littlest pieces at a time. I don't know what more to suggest than that with so little to work with. But yes you will have w/d that is most likely at least. Good luck and God bless.

wow i didnt realize that you got w/d from sub in such a short time. why do the doctors not explain any of this to you???? i feel so confused. i guess i should wait untill tomm to see how much sub i will need to take to feel better. robert do i just decrease the dose by 25% every 3 days????? thankyou for your help and patience

i went to my first suboxone appointment today i took 8mg. the doc said i should take another 8mg tomm morning. should i take 4mg in morning and the other 4mg later in afternoon??? i read that this method is better when you are tapering. or should i take the whole 8mg at once for the first few days?? thanks guys, appreciated!

i went to my first suboxone appointment today i took 8mg. the doc said i should take another 8mg tomm morning. should i take 4mg in morning and the other 4mg later in afternoon??? i read that this method is better when you are tapering. or should i take the whole 8mg at once for the first few days?? thanks guys, appreciated!

This dr is doing just what I said to watch. He will be having you taking 8mg twice a day. DON'T DO IT.

Take 4mg when you get up and another 4mg about 8 hours later. Do that for three days then drop to 3mg twice a day. I promise you that is what works the best.

Don't start taking high doses, you don't need 8mg at a time. I promise that I'm right. God bless.

robert thankyou for getting back to me i was praying you would
    i got to the docs and she split the 8mg in half and told me to take 4mg but i asked her to let me start off with 2mg but she said no the 4mg would be better. i didnt want to take it but i didnt want to p**s her off either, ive invested alot of money into this and i was afraid she would ask me to leave if i didnt co-operate on her terms. anyway i thought i would get away with just taking 4mg but 30 mins later she told me to take the other 4mg so i did and then she sent me home with a prescription for 7 more and i was told to come see her next week. a couple hours later i just didnt seem 100% right, i wasnt sick or having withdrawls but i just felt a bit dizzy and strange, is this normal? i thought maybe i felt like that because i took too much in a short space of time. i have a sore head now also for the past 3 hours but apparantly thats normal enough.
    so after i take 4mg twice a day for three days and then 3mg twice a day for three days what should i take after that?? im sorry to bug you about it all but i just want to make sure i do everything you say 100%, ive read so many posts that people have written who you have helped and i would like to be one of those people. i dont want to take the sub longer than needed i dont want to become addicted to it but if you can help me with a taper plan for the whole process i promise to do everything exactly as you say. i just want to get back to my old self again and not be powerless to painkillers ever again. thankyou so much robert

I just have to make one comment here. Why are the doctors perscribing this so unbelievably bad at it. Is money the only objecctive? Damnit.... Wait for Robert to tell you what to do with the 7 you have. I just had to say this: If I were doing this again, the doctor would probably be my last choice of who to listen to. You will get much better advice here then at your doctor, 100%, without a doubt.

robert thankyou for getting back to me i was praying you would
    i got to the docs and she split the 8mg in half and told me to take 4mg but i asked her to let me start off with 2mg but she said no the 4mg would be better. i didnt want to take it but i didnt want to p**s her off either, ive invested alot of money into this and i was afraid she would ask me to leave if i didnt co-operate on her terms. anyway i thought i would get away with just taking 4mg but 30 mins later she told me to take the other 4mg so i did and then she sent me home with a prescription for 7 more and i was told to come see her next week. a couple hours later i just didnt seem 100% right, i wasnt sick or having withdrawls but i just felt a bit dizzy and strange, is this normal? i thought maybe i felt like that because i took too much in a short space of time. i have a sore head now also for the past 3 hours but apparantly thats normal enough.
    so after i take 4mg twice a day for three days and then 3mg twice a day for three days what should i take after that?? im sorry to bug you about it all but i just want to make sure i do everything you say 100%, ive read so many posts that people have written who you have helped and i would like to be one of those people. i dont want to take the sub longer than needed i dont want to become addicted to it but if you can help me with a taper plan for the whole process i promise to do everything exactly as you say. i just want to get back to my old self again and not be powerless to painkillers ever again. thankyou so much robert

I agree that you were taking too much. Your opiate habit wasn't THAT bad. I would have likely inducted you at about 4mg total for the day if the induction was done properly.

Tell me what you've done this morning so far.

hello robert, this morning i took 4mg at 9am and i feel good no w/d no headaches. i was planning on taking the other 4mg around 5pm, would that be ok?? thanks again for all your help robert xx

newyorkgal thankyou also, i agree with you 100% about the doctors. i had no need to take that other 4mg yesterday, why could the doc not let me go home after the first 4mg?? and later in the night if i really really needed it i could have taken the rest. i have to pay the doc $350 every month and that doesnt include the price of the suboxone, also every time i see her i have to have a drug test done which is costing me $50. the money doesnt bother me that much because honestly i would pay anything just to get out of this whole mess and get my life back but i think money is the main concern of alot of the doctors. i trust robert completly and im very happy that GOD brought me to him and all the other nice honest genuine people on this forum, god bless you all, i have never met any of you but you are all in my heart xx

UncleW123 is offline New Member

My wife went in to detox from Oxy in last month and they put her on suboxone. She's been on it for just over 30 days. She is currently on 8 mg/day. We just now realized how nasty it can be and obviously the docs never mentioned anything. I have read that the less time on suboxone the better. She would like to start getting off ASAP. so is the program different if its only been 30 days, or is that too long already? Thanks to everyone on this thread, it is invaluable info.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleW123 View Post
    My wife went in to detox from Oxy in last month and they put her on suboxone. She's been on it for just over 30 days. She is currently on 8 mg/day. We just now realized how nasty it can be and obviously the docs never mentioned anything. I have read that the less time on suboxone the better. She would like to start getting off ASAP. so is the program different if its only been 30 days, or is that too long already? Thanks to everyone on this thread, it is invaluable info.

Here is how I suggest using subs. It's proven successful here for years. Check out the link and NO one month is not too long. She's at a great spot to begin her taper tomorrow by 25% of her dose every four days. Here is the link. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

awaken1 is offline New Member

Default keep the faith

hi all . i have read almost every post in here and was intrigued by all the storys. i can tell all from experience if you want to seriously interested in getting off suboxone go by roberts advice. he has got the formula for getting off pretty much dialed in. i tapered down faster than rob recommends but it was only my faith in god that pushed me through. for those who dont have the luxury of having the lord in your heart i highly recommend rob's tapering schedule. i am 40 years old next month and told myself on my 39 b-day i would not go into my 40's dependant on anything but life it self. my addiction was a long road that im so blessed to be off of. my first dance the devil was 23 years ago with cocaine that led to freebaseing coke (pre crack) then crack then at 20 i kicked the coke prob by becoming an alcholic pretty much for 5 years around 25 i told my self i had to stop drinking and i did with the help of percocets. percocets led to oxy cotin and that lasted for 14 years with a i tried to quit opiates 4 times with methodone treatments with no success.(note: i also smoked pot through all these addictions) when i finally kicked oxy's i was taking 5-6 80's a day and it was with suboxone jan of last year. but from my 23 year journey through all this i knew that i was going to have to do somthing completely way way out of my comfort zone if i really wanted this to be it. so my 3rd sunday into suboxone treatments i went to church and made my self go the next sunday even though i didnt really want to. but i did and lucky for me i picked the right church for me the first time. nobody pressured me into christ they just let it happen , and it did ! i have been saved & baptized & like kyle naughton jr my jesus wears a tuxedo t-shirts and sings lead vocals for lynard skynard. bottom line is you can easily quit suboxone without faith with roberts detox schedule. i just wanted you guys to know that by supplementing it with the lord . i cut the detox time in half and have been completely free of all demons for the first time in 23 years(5 mo clean) oh yeah and i also quit a 24 year ciggarette habit and lost 42 lbs by eat healty & excersize. (4.5 mo ). i feel so blessed to be where im at right now . it feels so good to alive again.i wish the best for all on here, i will pray for you . god bless & stay strong. scott f. p.s. even once clean the addiction monster is always trying to find a way back in but a strong heart/mind & soul will keep you safe .

UncleW123 is offline New Member

Default struggling under 2mg

My wife has been following the schedule. she's had a few uncomfortable days but it has been mamnageable for the most part. However, now that she's under 2mg, she's starting to struggle. She's had some bad days and seems to be stuck at 1.5 mg. She's been taking clonepon and Xanex to help ease the anxiety and discomfort but that doesn't help much. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

UncleW
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-25-2010 at 08:46 PM.

RubyDean is offline Member

Uncle, I would really watch her taking any klonopin or xanax on a daily basis, especially with the suboxone. It is not necessary! If the lasts too long she will develop an addiction to the benzos which is another animal entirely. Most would suggest to cut out the benzos entirely until the very end of the taper or once she is off suboxone and only use them for a few days...She basically needs to get stable at whatever dose suboxone is necessary. If 1.5mg is not working she needs to get stable at 2mg, and then follow Roberts suggestions to taper every 4 or 5 days by 25%. There will always be a day or two here and there that get challenging, but they pass, and you get stable and continue to drop till she is down to .5mg or .25mg, and then start skipping days. The klonopin and xanax could become a crutch, and nobody on suboxone needs them unless they are thrying to get a buzz. It is the truth. She is better off increasing her suboxone to get stable and cut out the benzos asap.

RUBYDEAN!!!!! Hi there, its been awhile ..... I hope all is going well for you. Glad to see you back here... We missed you. I did.
    NYG

And, I agree with him. Benzos create a whole new problem, worse in some ways than opiates. They are meant for really sleepless nights during withdrawal. There are some here who've been addicted to benzos and getting off is not fun. As Dean said, there will always be some trying days but if she is stabilized, they will pass.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by UncleW123 View Post
    My wife has been following the schedule. she's had a few uncomfortable days but it has been mamnageable for the most part. However, now that she's under 2mg, she's starting to struggle. She's had some bad days and seems to be stuck at 1.5 mg. She's been taking clonepon and Xanex to help ease the anxiety and discomfort but that doesn't help much. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

UncleW
    Hi Uncle! I agree with Ruby and NYG. Get stable at the 2mg. then go from there. Keep us posted on your wife's progress. We are here for you!

xantheus is offline Junior Member

Hey Robert,

After many months of contemplation, I'm now ready to get off these darn things.!!
    I cannot begin to tell you how much anxiety that I have, worrying about being able to work and pay the bills. I dont want to lose interest in work. As a matter of fact, the doctor knows that I am quitting soon and started me on 300mg XL wellbutrin to help the depression. I started today, one pill a day...
    Keep in mind, before suboxone, I was taking the injectible buprenex shots... They were basically the same, but they worked quicker!! I finally switched to suboxone when it was released on the market, and have been using it ever since!! YUCK!! I'VE been on these damn things sooooo lonnnnggg!!!!

As far as my suboxone dosing, I am currently taking 5mgs/ 2x/day... 7am and 4pm... I know I need my second dose right around when I start to yawn repeatedly!! ugghhh!! it's the worse!!
    I was confused when reading your induction strategy. I was stuck on wondering what happens when I finally get down to 1 mg, 2x/day, when do the slivers come in (should I get 2mg pills?), and how can you suggest that I get through this with little or no w/d symptons at all??
    If I am at 5 mgs, 2x/day now, and every 3 days I taper 25%, how soon do you think that I'll be able to stop completely??
    Here's my biggest downfall.................EVERY TIME I have something come up like an event or weekend function, I increase my dose, b/c I assume that I am going to feel horrible during this whole induction process. I may not be going through w/d symptoms, but I will still feel like ******** and be miserable, ruining everyone's mood around me..
    I was able to get down to 2mg/ 2x/day at one time... and I remember that every day was just so so, getting by... As soon as I increased the dose, I felt wonderful with tons of energy!! This is horrible....

Please advise.... I'm ready..

Dean
    Last edited by xantheus; 01-31-2010 at 05:04 PM.

After many months of contemplation, I'm now ready to get off these darn things.!!
    I cannot begin to tell you how much anxiety that I have, worrying about being able to work and pay the bills. I dont want to lose interest in work. As a matter of fact, the doctor knows that I am quitting soon and started me on 300mg XL wellbutrin to help the depression. I started today!
    I am currently taking 5mgs/ 2x/day... 7am and 4pm... I know I need my second dose right around when I start to yawn repeatedly!! ugghhh!! it's the worse!!
    I was confused when reading your induction strategy. I was stuck on wondering what happens when I finally get down to 1 mg, 2x/day, when do the slivers come in (should I get 2mg pills?), and how can you suggest that I get through this with little or no w/d symptons at all??
    If I am at 5 mgs, 2x/day now, and every 3 days I taper 25%, how soon do you think that I'll be able to stop completely??
    Here's my biggest downfall.................EVERY TIME I have something come up like an event or weekend function, I increase my dose, b/c I assume that I am going to feel horrible during this whole induction process. I may not be going through w/d symptoms, but I will still feel like ******** and be miserable, ruining everyone's mood around me..
    I was able to get down to 2mg/ 2x/day at one time... and I remember that every day was just so so, getting by... As soon as I increased the dose, I felt wonderful with tons of energy!! This is horrible....

Please advise.... I'm ready...... Wish me luck!

Dean

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

X,

Go back and find Cheeky's thread or another dealing with sub tapering. I didn't use subs and so I'm no help. However, I did read those threads start to finish before I went cold turkey. It seems to me that the anxiety the "jump" (decrease or discontinuance) is the biggest issue here. Done slow and correctly, it seems to me to be successful. You have to be brave and ready. Really, go back and find sub tapering threads on this forum. Read them start to finish. You will find facts that will ease your fear.

Good luck. And while you're trying to get the brass ring, visit this forum as often as you can. It's my life line.

Cat

Hi Dean, there are many of us on the forum who are either on sub or have tapered off sub. I am confused about one thing. You're on 10 mg. per day and you say you feel withdrawal symptoms even before taking your second dose of the day? I don't doubt you but the mind can play terrible tricks. First of all, 10 mgs. is a pretty high dose. Alot of people begin the taper at lower doses than that. Secondly, the half life of sub is about 30 hours, so you shouldn't be feelings anything at all by dinnertime. In fact, some of us only dose once a day. My advice would be to taper very slowly since you've been on so long. The 25% every 4 days is for someone on a shorter time than you. How many years have you been on sub? And how long on the injectable? There are others who might be able to advise you more, but if you've been on for years and if you feel w/d after 12 hours, I would do a much slower taper.

well...... I've been on suboxone ever since it was released on the market..... and before that, I was on the injectible buprenex, which is pretty much the same thing...
    All in all, i've been on buprenorphine for 10 years, give or take a few months.....
    what a way to live, right?? and all this time, I'm thinking I have been clean.... yikes!!

I wish I only dosed 1x/day..... i really wish..., but it's been sooooo looonnnggg that my body is used to a 2nd dose..... how do we fix this??

This coming Wednesday, I'll be at 4mg, 2x/day.....
    And to tell you the truth, I remember my doctor telling me that if my mind plays tricks on me, just give in to it... don't fight it.... What does he mean by that?? He told me to just take the 2nd dose......

As far as feeling w/d symptoms by late in the day, ... I start to yawn excessively.... usually 8 hours after my first dose..... and then start to tear..... Sometimes if I ignore it, they will sometimes subside..... , but it's the anxiety that weighs heavily if I'm OUT FOR THE NIGHT on a dinner date or something and forget my 2nd dose.... I will then become miserable.. and seem tired/irritable to people...

It's 7:40am EST in New Jersey now, and I recently woke up and have my 5 mgs under my tounge.... As I start to taper, I fear what's ahead... but i'm trying to live in the moment....

Please advise..

Dean

go9ers is offline New Member

Ive read the forum for quite awhile but finally joined today.. I was hooked on loratabs for about 5 yrs taking as many as 18 7.5s per day towards the end of my addiction to them. About a yr & a half ago my friend gave me a 8mg Sub to try and since then i haven't had a lortab.

The thing is I havent been to a Dr to get Sub just thru my friend. I took 8mgs once then cut to 3/4 for about 6 months. Then cut to 1/2 or 4mgs since. He found out today that the Dr office dropped him and cant go back for awhile because they have a huge wait list.

His Dr had him taking 2 8mgs aday & he cut himself down to 1/2 apill aday. So he was only goin to DR every 3 months. Guess they dropped him for someone who would come every month.

What Im getting at is I have to cut down to 1/4 aday because we only have so many left. I dont have a way to get a smaller dose then the 8mg pill . How can I taper off with 8mg pills??

IM READY TO BE FREE!!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast