Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wanttobemeagian
  • 1 Post By saddad1
First day off Hydro...
    saddad1 is offline Member

Default First day off Hydro...

Hello,

Today is my first day off hydrocodone. I began trolling this site last week when I was taking upwards of 20x 5mg Norco's daily. These drugs were all obtained illegally. I've been abusing the drugs at this rate for the last month or two. Prior to that, 20 Norco's would last me 3-4 days.
    Since last week (Tues 6th) I 'tapered' down my normal dose. I got to an average of about 4-5 a day. I decided that this week (being a Monday) I would make the jump to sobriety. I haven't had any hydrocodone since about 2 PM yesterday. The first 24 hours have been tolerable. I woke up after a good night's sleep in a mild sweat that I've carried all day. My body aches have been manageable partially due to the Potassium and Magnesium supplements I've been taking along with Acetominaphin.
    I wanted to stop in for a few reasons, 1) Reading the posts on the forum have given me the courage to quit and I wanted to thank you all for that 2) I think i need your help! My wife has no idea I'm addicted. My friend's have no idea either. Luckily for me, my boss is very close and I was able to confide in her. She is understanding of my situation and wants to see me well and is willing to help me get time off etc. The conversation I had with her helped me come to grips with my issue. Vocalizing has made me accept this better. HOWEVER, I worry that the withdrawal will be such a challenge that I will miss more work than I feel I can afford and also will be obviously sick at home while my wife wonders why I'm so sick and why I can't take care of the baby during the day.
    Firstly, I would like to know what you think my withdrawal 'schedule' will look like considering my usage history. Secondly, I wanted to try to build a little help network for myself...as I feel troubles I'd like to be able to jump online and cry to you folks to help me through this. Anyone have any idea how I can communicate this issue to my wife without really upsetting her? Any real world experience dealing with angry latin women is a plus.
    At any rate, day one has been hard and I'm expecting worse this week but I'm hoping that by this time next week I'll be feeling normal-ish...at least enough so that I can reclaim my normal life.
    Thanks
    SD1

HI again, wanted to stop by and give you a status report.

Yesterday was tough. I went for a few walks and took a whole bunch of tylenol and some immodium AD, Potassium and Magnesium . A few tylenol PM helped me sleep through the night (mostly). I decided that while I'm going through this WD, I might as well quit smoking too. Last cigarette was on Sunday 3/11 with the last Hydro.
    Day 2 is starting out alright. Banannas and the Mag/Pot supplements are helping to manage the body cramps and Restless Leg Syndrome. Donig better than I thought I would to be honest. I don't want to jinx myself by any means, and I'm ready for anything, but it seems as if I've already turned the corner on the WD. I must attribute the ease to my difficult and rapidly paced Taper process. The only real symptoms I'm experiencing are just a touch of anxiety/depression (acknowledging that it is from the WD is helping to cope with it though), some stomach issues, and the sweats. My body doesn't really hurt today and it seems like I'm thinking pretty clearly. I'm not focus on wanted a Norco. I'm just focused on wanting to be healthy.
    Had some great news at home last night. The wife has a great new job opportunity. Had a good long talk with her about being a better person. Didn't come clean and tell her about my Hydro issue, but I did tell her I'm quitting smoking and of course have her full support on that. I can't wait to be able to talk to her about all this in the near future when I'm in a better position to discuss it open and honestly with her.
    Anyway, I will continue to post here as things develop. As of now, I feel pretty decent and very lucky. Best wishes to all of you and keep your fingers crossed for me so that this WD experience doesn't have to be as bad as I though it would.
    Cheers!

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Sounds like you're going pretty well! Keep focused on getting the drug out of your system. You seem to have the right mindset. If you were getting these illegally, I'd make sure you cut all ties with people who are still using or selling. Focus on your family and "doing the next right thing". your symptoms seem to be pretty much under control at the present time. The worse days are around days 3-5, but you seem to be doing very well. Just remember: you never have to use again. Not one, not ever. Keep posting, especially if you feel the temptation to use. Keep on with what you are doing! You have every right to feel proud of yourself!

IloeRose

Yesterday, Day 3, started out so well. About 2 in the afternoon (almost 72 hours exactly from my last hydrocodone) I got hit with a crushing and debillitating wave of anxiety (read better as "fear") and depression (read better as "uncontrollable weeping"). I had to miss a couple hours of work, get home and stayed in bed until this morning.
    Today I'm feeling better. Body doesn't hurt at all. Still have the sweats (very annoying). Stomach is better than it has been but still a bit shakey. All in all doing well, compared to yesterday.
    Still not easy, still no fun but still going strong.

Fingers are crossed for a good day 4!

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Opiates tend to deaden our feelings. Which is why it is so addictive for some of us. What you were experiencing: Anxiety, and depression, especially the uncontrollable weeping are feelings coming to the surface again. I think the anxiety is the hardest one. Unbelievably, some say that vics are a godsend for anxiety, but that is not true. Valerian Root, Chamomile tea, for the anxiety. Get some exercise,(this is the most important thing you can do), as much as you can tolerate, even a walk around the block, whatever. You need to get the natural endorphins moving through your system. As for the depression, exercise will help with that also. The sweating? drink plenty of liquids and get the "stuff" out of your system. As time goes by all the physical symptoms will subside. I hope you had a better day today

IloeRose

P.S. You are doing great! Just keep your chin up and pointed in the right direction. LOL
    Last edited by iloerose; 03-16-2012 at 06:22 PM.

HenryNCBA is offline Advanced Member

Hello Saddad1,

You are getting good advice from iloerose there. Unless your digestive system does not tolerate it well Ibuprofen usually works better than Tylenol for many, not all, as the muscle aches and pains and also bone type pain is putting out chemicals that mimic those of pain caused by inflammation so an NSAID type of OTC pain medication works very well. Believe it or not hot baths also are great for aches and pains especially before bed time as it really helps relax you all over. As iloerose stated exercise is one of the very best things you can do as it does get your natural feel good chemicals going and those endorphins are potent when they kick in. Can’t do much about the sweats and in general “flu like” symptoms is the most prevalent symptoms of opiate withdrawal. Everyone is different so there is no set rules of exactly when you will feel negative symptoms of withdrawal and also what sort of symptoms and they vary widely but in general, which is why it is stated, the flu like symptoms are most common. Exercise goes a long ways for RLS. Some get it in the arms as well. You are doing very well at this and I commend you on your commitment to do the right thing. GOOD GOING BUDDY!!! You are combating a very formidable foe and winning so no retreat no surrender.
    For Cold Turkey us the Thomas Recipe to help with withdrawal. It is the best out there. Here is the link an you can find it right here on this very forum.
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html
    If you need to talk feel free to check out any of the other topic areas also. You will see us all over the place especially Robert whom has helped so many people you won’t believe it. Me included.
    Hang in there my friend you are awesome!!!

Henry

wanttobemeagian is offline New Member

Default Day 2 for the hundreth timem for me.

I have quit cold turkey every month for the past 2 years (until I am eligible for my monthly refill which last less and less). I have thought of quitting completely and am now serious enough to make that step. I have had all the withdrawal symptoms (and more) monthly and don't want to go through it anymore. I also don't want to hurt my body, family, etc. by using (and abusing) pain medication anymore. I KNOW for a fact that life is better without the Vicodin, it's just that when the refill eligibility date comes up...I have always run the the pharmacy for my 120# 10/3.25s as quickly as possible to start up again...with every intention of making 'this batch' last 30 entire days...never happens. I fight through the WD's every month and HATE it...I am strong enough to do it each time, but that can't go on. I fight through the lack of motivation, the sleepiness, the chills, the insomnia, the RLS, the food smelling and tasting bad, the sweats, the warm water on the hands to warm me up at work, the fatigue, you name it...all of it, I keep on functioning each WD cycle knowing that it isn't that bad, only lasts a week at the most, AND I have a full script of 120 just ahead.

I have a lot of things to say, both pros and cons...for me, the cons severely outweigh the pros of taking pain meds. When I'm 'off' the pills I have to keep reminding myself that my situations, my emotions, my feelings, happiness, sadness, the bad drivers, ALL OF IT is the same whether I am on them of off them. I just know that the longer I am off them, the more I will be me and not that dependent user. I know it seems far away but I KNOW that anyone that abuses pain meds, and quits, will get better and that any bad day off 'em will be 10x better than a good day on 'em!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-05-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    thalia45 likes this.

kc50 is offline Member

Hey sad, how you doin'?

Wow Kel, you went and dug up my original post from March...reading this now makes me SO angry that I didn't stay honest with myself all those months ago...glad I'm at 25 days this time instead of giving up before 10. We'll do it, I feel so much better this time. No lingering desire in my brain, I'm just so fed up!

kc50 is offline Member

I wasn't intending to get you mad...dahling...just reminding youhow far you've come....:-)

Oh I know...it's funny though how addicts can manipulate themselves so easily when we're caught up. It feels REALLY good to be standing on the outside of the addiction and looking in rather than trapped inside. So empowering...
    kc50 likes this.