fentanyl withdrawals no physician assistance
    steellchick is offline New Member

Angry fentanyl withdrawals no physician assistance

The pain clinic advised me to go off of the fentanyl patch. they told me to go to my regular physician who had prescribed the fentanyl initially. I did the taper per my physician but the wd are now intense. I went to the physician yesterday and they told me to go to the pain clinic for help. I called them and they said the physician needs to help me. I called the physician back yesterday at 3:00 and they told me they would call me back. Today i have not recieved a call back and am half out of my skin. What can I do besides take percocets as my physician had earlier advised?

Normankay is offline Member

You are in a tough spot. Fentanyl is one of the strongest opiates to detox from if not the strongest. I am not a big fan of Suboxone for weaker opiats unless it for detoxing and detoxing only. However with stronger opiates like Fentanyl, Suboxone may be the best bet for your detox. It also depends on if you want to get clean from all opiates or stay on a pill. Best bet would to find a Suboxone doctor in your area.

If you aren't used to the way Suboxone works then my suggestion would be to take as small of a dose as posible. I read so many posts here with people with Vicodin/Percocet/Lortab adiction being on ridiculous amounts of Suboxone for a weaker opiate. Most people will tell you they don't feel a thing on Suboxone and maybe they don't. For me though I felt Suboxone every time I time I took it and was using it to detox from >>>>>>.

The easiest way for me to get clean from opiates permanantly was to learn about the adiction itself. You have a long road ahead of you, but it is possible.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by steellchick View Post
    The pain clinic advised me to go off of the fentanyl patch. they told me to go to my regular physician who had prescribed the fentanyl initially. I did the taper per my physician but the wd are now intense. I went to the physician yesterday and they told me to go to the pain clinic for help. I called them and they said the physician needs to help me. I called the physician back yesterday at 3:00 and they told me they would call me back. Today i have not recieved a call back and am half out of my skin. What can I do besides take percocets as my physician had earlier advised?

It's tough to do alone. Fentanyl sucks, I hate it. I think it should only be prescribed for the terminally ill just for this reason you're experiencing alone. The detox is a really big drag!

Read the link below. It's how I've worked here with people on subs for several years. It's based on how I did it myself years ago, so it's all based on experience. You should pay close attention to the section INDUCTION where you start on subs. It's the most important part probably.

Let me know if you want me to help you. If you follow my instructions I can help you and it will be pretty painless for the most part, totally painless at best and you're totally clean in 6-8 weeks or so depending. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

If you feel you have the willpower, or the assistance of someone else to help you, you could try using the oxycodone to come off the fentanyl. I'm not sure if you will still be taking the oxycodone every month or just have a small amount currently but you could stretch them out and dose only when needed ( skin crawling, tremors ect ) until you're down to just aches and stuff. Robert's taper plan is a good one too if you want to spend the extra time. what dose did you jump from?

Anonymous Guest

Hey there!

I jumped from 200mcg of fentanyl C/T.......I don't know if you work or have obligations,
    I truly had no idea what I was getting into. I was too sick by the time I got here, to go the sub route.......but if I had to do over........I just can tell you that for me, I wasn't able to take care of anything, let alone feed myself and keep drinking fluids. I even sent my dogs to a friends. I was awfully miserable for quite a while. Not trying to scare you, just warn you, that the time involved is longer than I expected. I did it, the dr. gave me some low dose pain pills, don't remember what they were and klonopin to help and that's what I used.....but nothing really helped. Now, maybe it makes a difference what dose you jump from and how long you were on, I was on 2-100 patches every 72 hours for almost 4 years and was miserable and took myself off.
    Went to the dr. about 3 days later, just to get something to help, thinking I was almost done, not even! I don't know why it was so bad and so hard and miserable and long. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone w/a sub taper w/Robert, but he will have to tell you more.
    He has known more people that went off, and maybe it's not always that bad.
    I know this sounds like a bummer, but it's 7 wks later and I have now had 2 normal days in a row, except for sleeping well. No pain pills or anything else for at least 6 wks. except the normal, non-narcotics for my condition.
    Amazingly most of the pain I had on the patches is gone now, b/c it was caused by the patches eventually. Do you have an underlying condition? You will be surprised at the end, no matter which way you go, how little pain you truly are in now.

I don't know if that helped or not.
    Wishing you the best, truly, it can be done!
    Good luck either way!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-18-2011 at 07:04 AM.

thanks for your reply. The PA finally prescribed clonidine but it is not helping. I can't sleep, my body aches, I am cold, shaky. I need this to stop, Wow 7 weeks of this. I have just hit 14 days since using my last Fentanyl patch. I can not believe it is this terrible. I hope my ears quit ringing too. I do not know how to go to work feeling like this. Also, I am flying to Indy to see my grandson's for 5 days this week. It is going to be terrible. I hate taking percocets but it is helping some. When you say 7 weeks it is scaring me!

Anonymous Guest

thanks for your reply. The PA finally prescribed clonidine but it is not helping. I can't sleep, my body aches, I am cold, shaky. I need this to stop, Wow 7 weeks of this. I have just hit 14 days since using my last Fentanyl patch. I can not believe it is this terrible. I hope my ears quit ringing too. I do not know how to go to work feeling like this. Also, I am flying to Indy to see my grandson's for 5 days this week. It is going to be terrible. I hate taking percocets but it is helping some. When you say 7 weeks it is scaring me!
    Don't panic! 7 wks til I feel normal, including the lack of energy.....when my grandkids came....I was fine. Cold/shaky, it's terrible I know.....but will go away. I'm hoping everything passes more quickly for you since you were on smaller dose. You get past the cold/shaky......perks help w/body aches from that. It's like going thru hypothermia, never knew shivering could make your body hurt so bad. Once you are past that....worst is over! Then the best thing to do is get out/ exercise, if you have all that coming up, won't be a problem. I promise you the cold/shaky is the worst, after that all down hill. I'm not sure if you can work while going thru that?? Are you eating and drinking lots and lots of water??? Also remember I had a MS attack during that which complicated mine along w/taking medrol pack which makes me feel awful. So 7 wks is fast considering all that......so don't think that long for you at all!
    I had my grankids staying w/me right after the cold/shaky stopped.....I live by myself and was fine........they made me feel better cause I went and did things w/them.
    I didn't need any pain pills after the cold/shaky part.......so going to be ok! How many days of cold have you had?
    I wasn't trying to scare you, just let you know it's really hard, but oh so worth it I promise! I also was trying to let you know, after your tapering and lesser dosage hopefully yours will be shorter, but no less painful.
    So please realize you are almost done! Hang in there. What you are doing from what i've read, and what i did, is something almost nobody can do!
    I'll answer anytime you post......if it's not right away, i'm just away from house, but will answer as soon as i get back!
    Proud of you!

Thanks Robert but my doctor did not prescribe suboxone. They prescribed clonodine and it is not helping at all. I am not sleeping, I have ringing in the ears, anxiety, shakes, aches and exhaustion. This is my 14th day without a fentanyl patch. I need to go to work but the shakes and aches make it difficult to sit still. Why would my doctor not prescribe a suboxone? Taking percocets and clonodine is just not cutting it. Percocets make me slow thinking and the clonidine is inhibiting my sleep. I did the taper from 50mcg down to 25 then down to 12. Why did the doctor not listen to me? I have called at least 3 times and I went to see her last week..... I want my life back now.

Anonymous Guest

You don't want to go on subs now! You are almost done, I swear! Truly, I don't think anybody realizes except maybe Robert, and others who have done it, what you are truly going through.........it's so hard.....and you are almost done!
    Drs. don't know, they haven't been there, haven't a clue unless they have. If they have been there they sure wouldn't put people on them.
    How long have you been so cold???

Anonymous Guest

Clonodine helps w/the anxiety. The no sleep is from w/d's. It comes back, takes you by surprise when it does. I posted here all nite long trying to help others and talking on my own thread w/ support from others while not sleeping. Helped alot!

Anonymous Guest

Not trying to bother you, but leaving in a little, so want to tell you a couple things that help.....alternate ibuprofen w/perc, helped me alot more w/body aches...also a full spectrum vitamin/mineral supplement. Didn't have potassium in it....so you definitely want a bottle of potassium.
    That's it, just a couple of hints.
    Best of luck! Eat and drink.....I didn't do that very well, because I live alone and I know that let me get way too weak. Hope someone is helping you in that area!
    Again, how long have you been cold? It will give me a hint of how close you are to being over the worst.

I want your help Robert. The clonadine is not working. I am having a terrible day. I am 14 days in without the patch. Everyone posts to talk to a Suboxene doctor. How do I find one? My doctor is taking the approach that it is not a big deal. I have called them and last week I went there. I need to find a new doctor. Tell me how to find a Subutex doctor. I have Chronic Pain from two cervical disc fusions. I go to a pain clinic in Iowa City which is 2 hours away and they tell me to deal with my general practioner. Completely annoyed that the doctor who put me on this does not know how to get me off of it.

It comes and goes. Right now I am warm but the ear ringing is so intense and the body shakes leave me to paralyzed to do anything but lay in the recliner with the tv on to take my mind off of this. I do not want to call in sick again. I have not been in the office for a week and a half. How do I keep from getting in trouble at work? I work at home with the company lap top and I am an outside sales rep who travels. I bought a plane ticket over a month ago to go visit my grandsons next week. I do not know how I am going to get through it if I feel like this. thanks for your help Marian.

Did you ever feel like your body was weighed down and you were outside of your body? This is one of the worst days. I actually felt good on Friday and now it is Sunday and the wd is back with a vengeance.

I can tell you how to find a sub dr in any city, but with two weeks into this I would tough it out. Learn to use the meds you're taking properly. Are you monitoring your blood pressure with the clonidine? Very important to take it right. Your BP should be around 130-140/90-100 and take .1mg of clonidine. Check it again and take the clonidine according to your symptoms.

If you are serious about the subs it's your decision. I can tell you what to do to find a dr but again I think that I would try this a little longer. Fentanyl sucks, but you've got so much time invested doing it the way you've started detoxing.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Do I check it with my pulse? I am home babysitting a dog that attacked my labrador and bit her this morning. I am too shaky and jittery today to drive. I have low blood pressure normally so my doctor told me to watch it just in case I get light headed. I am only to take the clonadine at night. They gave me 10 pills. It does not seem to help at all. I have been taking it around 8:00 pm and then around 11:00 pm my wd gets me so wired they wake me up. Do you suggest I call the doctor and get more clonadine?

Do I check it with my pulse? I am home babysitting a dog that attacked my labrador and bit her this morning. I am too shaky and jittery today to drive. I have low blood pressure normally so my doctor told me to watch it just in case I get light headed. I am only to take the clonadine at night. They gave me 10 pills. It does not seem to help at all. I have been taking it around 8:00 pm and then around 11:00 pm my wd gets me so wired they wake me up. Do you suggest I call the doctor and get more clonadine?

I suggest you get a blood pressure monitor and some more .1mg clonidine in case you need them. And yes, call the dr and tell him what I said. He should agree. Let me know. God bless.

Thank you Robert. I will get a blood pressure monitor and call the doctor tomorrow. Through all this I have learned that it is time to get a new doctor. I will start tomorrow. I hope to God that I feel better. I need to go to work and then on Thursday to see my grandsons and son. You will definitely go to heaven Robert for helping everyone. God Bless you!

Anonymous Guest

Steel.....-
    I can give you one more suggestion, then I'm that's truly all I have.....I took only 1/2 of a pain pill at a time, and used ibuprofen proactively, 4 of them, 3x a day......I wanted to make sure I didn't fall into the same trap where the pain pills wouldn't help. By doing that I was able to take half a pain pill when absolutely necessary and it worked for me. I quit them as soon as I got past the cold, shivering part b/c ibuprofen seemed to be more effective than the pain pill.
    I won't say I don't have any pain at all, it's part of my illness. But the ibuprofen takes the edge off enough if I stay ahead of the pain by taking it on a regular basis to be functional and keep the pain at a bearable level.
    I don't want to fall into the same trap again by using the pain pills. It just becomes an up, up, up then off situation because of tolerance.
    If you are not constantly freezing, but coming and going....then my guess is you are closer to the downhill part of this than you think.
    I can't predict that of course, just guessing, as for the sleep......everyone will tell you that you can't force it, it comes when it comes.
    So, vitamin, potassium, ibuprofen 4-3xday, drink as much water as you can, eat properly, and as soon as you can exercise.
    We are not all that different than all the threads you see of people going CT off any of the opiates. I hooked up with someone who was detoxing as the same time I was, it helped soooo much.
    There is no magic cure to wd, if you went the sub route now, you would have wasted all this time......and you are so close. You've already put in two weeks of the pain that subs alleviate, and are almost done.
    I know I thought this was kind of crazy, suffering so badly from something the dr. put me on, but if you look around the threads, that's the case for many people here. Just saying enough is enough....I'm in control now.
    I will never take anything again b4 I check it out.
    Best of luck, whatever you do.

Julie_fentanyl is offline New Member

Checking in on you Steellchick, how is it going? Are you off the patches? I am going through a miserable taper. Down to 25 now from 50. It is much much worse than the time I got off of oxycontin and oxycodone. I hope things are going ok for you!