| || |
My love recently died from a overdose of Fentinayl . She worked in the med field and took it from work. Why would she have taken it? For pain management? To help with sleep? I just wanna know why she would take it. Would she ba able to work the floor while on it? And would anyone notice?
Well probably not as strong as an injection...I was on 100mcg Fentanyl Patch every 2 days ( yeah 2 I had a Drug dealer doctor and I reported him and got the DEA to raid the place some of the NP's were not even qualified ) I was completely like dead and always puking if the patch got warm ( this was when that other brand was around the one where you can see the gel ) So I just said screw it and got off that damn thing.. Maybe she had depression issues or just liked the high I don't know anybody that would..ugh
Hope you get more information sometime soon.
And I am very sorry for your Loss.
It might've been an accidental overdose Because sometimes people sleep for 3 hours or so and inject/take there medicine forgetting what time it is due to being zoned out..
Last edited by Garrett22; 12-28-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Originally Posted by PsPappa
I am so deeply sorry for your loss. If she took the drugs from work, it seems apparent that she was already in over her head into addiction. For any non-addicted medical professionals, they wouldn't dream of taking the drugs from work, as it's a huge violation of ethics. Sadly, it is not unusual for those working in the field to end up with a problem with addiction, as the nearness of the drugs is a great temptation.
When a person has been using these drugs for a while, they basically "need" the drug to feel "normal." They learn how to function while on drugs, and it become less noticeable to others, unless they are looking for it. I know that I managed to function very well when I was addicted, and no one was the wiser. But on the inside, I was dying.
The disease of addiction is far more powerful than most people realize. And it doesn't discriminate between social classes or ages. Highly intelligent or well-educated folks are just as likely to become addicted as some bum on the streets. The disease is that powerful - and that widespread.
No one expects to become addicted. No one thinks it will happen to them. Her pain may have been physical - or may have been emotional - or a mix of the two. Generally, most of us (i.e., narcotic addicts) start off as innocently as anyone else, when taking a prescribed drug - one pill.
But, the difference is, within the future addict is the genetic markers toward addiction. We simply do not process alcohol or drugs the same way that non-addicts do. Also, the very nature of narcotics lend themselves toward increasing tolerance of the drug. In other words, over time, we need more and more of it, just to gain the same effect or relief. So we take a ilttle more, or take it a little more often than directed... and we're on a path we don't see coming.
By the time we recognize what's going on, it is too late, and we're deep into it. At that point, our denial that there even is a problem has kicked in big time. We lie to ourselves routinely, to justify continuing. By then, we need the drug to function - and we are filled with fear at the prospect of ever stopping.
My heart goes out to you for your loss. Do know that there is nothing you could have done to save her. Only the addict can save themselves. The odds are stacked highly against any addict ever recovering from this disease; most of us do not recover. And try not to view her harshly for what happened. Addiction truly is a disease, and is recognized as such by the American Medical Association. It is not a sign of low character or lack of willpower. It's a different "wiring" within us, which is generally passed on genetically, unbeknown to us.
If I can help - if you have any other questions - feel free to ask. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Originally Posted by PsPappa
So sorry for your loss. Sadly LOTS of people in the medical field with such easy access to meds become addicted. We've had more nurses here to get clean than I can count, even had a couple MDs come here to get clean.
They work terrribly long hours and the drugs are such a temptation to them. It's easy for nurses to dilute a patient's injection with saline or whatever and keep part of the shot for themselves. It happens more than anyone would be willing to admit. It's very sad indeed. God bless.
I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.