is this doctor shopping?
    bbm2011 is offline New Member

Default is this doctor shopping?

Hello everyone I have been reading on here for a few days, trying to find information on doctor shopping because I am terrified of having something happen to me, as I have a very painful condition of the bladder called Interstitial Cystitis, and also endometriosis, and I'm also afraid of not being able to get meds if I do something wrong. I had my 2 children recently and started seeing a doc (physiologist, general phys., etc, he is an MD) and at my first visit, in June this year, it was posted that he was retiring the 1st of September. Kinda pointless for me to even go there. Well, I used to see a pain doctor before I got pregnant but he is now an hour from where I live. Since this new doc is retiring, I decided to go back to my pain doc, but still wanted to see the GP for my ADHD meds and also anxiety meds as he will give me 5 refills before he retires. However, at my appt a week ago with the GP, he wrote me a script for norco, and wrote it on the same script paper as my anxiety med. I brought it to the pharmacy and had it put on hold because just about 3 weeks prior to this i had seen my pain doc, who prescribes me oxycontin. I am due for my oxycontin in about 4-5 days, and see my pain doc tomorrow. He will write me a script for the refill of the oxies, and he knows I was seeing this other doctor but doesn't know I got the norco script. I live in Michigan, and I am wondering if anyone can answer these questions: 1st-am I allowed to have scripts from 2 different docs, and I will use the same pharmacy I always use, and use my insurance. 2nd- if #1 is not acceptable, if I do not pick up my oxies this month, will i be able to pick up my norcos and just have my oxies filled next month and alternate? I will see my pain doc tomorrow, and I guess I am going to ask him because 2 40mg oxies per day does not cover my pain, and maybe he will prescribe me norco or something for the in between time, but I was just wondering what all of you could tell me on this subject. If it is illegal to do, then I'm definitely not going to do it. But if since they are 2 different medications and I am allowed to get them both, I will.

Thank you all who read this and I would greatly appreciate any and all information that you may have that would help me out!

Dopesick420 is offline Member

Being proactive is the best thing to do. Being honest and up front. I commend you. I would definatly let the Dr. who rx's the Oxycodone know that you got a double script for some norcos. Will only make you look better. You dont want to even be thought of as a possible shopper, and have to go through the BS that accompanies it. I know people that have been cut off meds all together during an "investigation", only to be, after weeks of horrible withdrawal that is, re admitted to the pain clinic with an apology. They dont care. Im flagged in the state pharm board in my state, wont ever get narcotics again unless i happen to be in a wreck where i lose both my legs or something extremely traumatic happens.

Obviously the oxycodone is a higher priority medication for your pain, and you dont want to burn that bridge. Your other doctors retiring, let it go. Just explain that you have breakthrough pain throughout the day, and 40mg x2 just doenst cut it. Saying that line while having a second script for norco, on the other hand, WOULD throw up red flags, even if its all in good faith.

Good luck, Dopesick

Quote Originally Posted by bbm2011 View Post
    Hello everyone I have been reading on here for a few days, trying to find information on doctor shopping because I am terrified of having something happen to me, as I have a very painful condition of the bladder called Interstitial Cystitis, and also endometriosis, and I'm also afraid of not being able to get meds if I do something wrong. I had my 2 children recently and started seeing a doc (physiologist, general phys., etc, he is an MD) and at my first visit, in June this year, it was posted that he was retiring the 1st of September. Kinda pointless for me to even go there. Well, I used to see a pain doctor before I got pregnant but he is now an hour from where I live. Since this new doc is retiring, I decided to go back to my pain doc, but still wanted to see the GP for my ADHD meds and also anxiety meds as he will give me 5 refills before he retires. However, at my appt a week ago with the GP, he wrote me a script for norco, and wrote it on the same script paper as my anxiety med. I brought it to the pharmacy and had it put on hold because just about 3 weeks prior to this i had seen my pain doc, who prescribes me oxycontin. I am due for my oxycontin in about 4-5 days, and see my pain doc tomorrow. He will write me a script for the refill of the oxies, and he knows I was seeing this other doctor but doesn't know I got the norco script. I live in Michigan, and I am wondering if anyone can answer these questions: 1st-am I allowed to have scripts from 2 different docs, and I will use the same pharmacy I always use, and use my insurance. 2nd- if #1 is not acceptable, if I do not pick up my oxies this month, will i be able to pick up my norcos and just have my oxies filled next month and alternate? I will see my pain doc tomorrow, and I guess I am going to ask him because 2 40mg oxies per day does not cover my pain, and maybe he will prescribe me norco or something for the in between time, but I was just wondering what all of you could tell me on this subject. If it is illegal to do, then I'm definitely not going to do it. But if since they are 2 different medications and I am allowed to get them both, I will.

Thank you all who read this and I would greatly appreciate any and all information that you may have that would help me out!

bbm2011 is offline New Member

Thank you so much for your response Dopesick. I have the worst anxiety right now because I am going to see him and I know I have to ask him to up my dosage and I JUST started seeing him again but my pain is sooooooo bad. I know of a couple people who actually get oxies and norcos and by different docs and different pharmacies, and has been doing it for years. Most of these people are addicts and they have never gotten caught. They have really cracked down on laws and controlled substances since I last got anything, which was from 2005-2008 and I was always able to refill even a week early with my oxies, never ever was it questioned. Now I get treated like an addict and I am the farthest from it! My appt is in 1.5 hours for an instillation for my interstitial cystitis, and I did ask my doc if I could refill my oxies today since I'm going out of town, and he said yes, no problem, he trusts me. This all just scares me so much. I've seen people get away with so much, but I'm terrified to do it. And the only reason i even THINK about doing it, is because I'm terrified of running out of meds! It scares me! But you are absolutely right, I need to be upfront and honest, and after all, I am paying him to treat me for pain, so he should give me what I need to control it. Thank you again for your response It is much appreciated!