Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By perfectlyimperfect44
  • 4 Post By migueldelfuego
  • 1 Post By momofive
  • 1 Post By Tennis Grandma
  • 1 Post By Tennis Grandma
Day 2 Norco Withdrawals! I FEEL AMAZING!

Smile Day 2 Norco Withdrawals! I FEEL AMAZING!

I hope some people read this and maybe it will help someone. I was taking about 6-7 Norco everyday for the last 4 years. I am only 25 years and have a wonderful daughter. I went from an ambitious 20 something who loved life, had a 4.0, amazing job...to a depressed person with no drive or ambition for life. Those stupid pills ruined me. I realized about a year ago but the fear of withdrawal stopped me. How was I suppose to work, raise my daughter, and go to school? Stupid me. That was my mind convincing me I needed those stupid things. Well this Saturday, I was agitated all day and just down right angry. I knew I had to stop. So i flushed every last one of my pills.. about 150. I had just had my script filled. I severely messed up my shoulder in a car accident years ago and that is how it started. I have never done any other drugs in my life, never drink, and wouldnt even take tylenol for pain. Look at what I became? I wasnt going to let these stupid pills control my life anymore. I could fit that amount in my hand. So I suffered for over 200+ weeks all for the fear of suffering for one week of withdrawal...Doesnt make sense does it? They are people that would trade their whole life in a heartbeat to just experience a week of discomfort that I would go through.
    So here I am Day 2...Not going to lie, I slept like ???? last night. Tossed and turned all night. I slept maybe the last 1.5 hrs. For the first time in 3 years, I actually heard my alarm and it actually woke me up! Then, I get up and I feel AMAZING. I usually feel agitated, tired, and like I am hungover. Not this morning. I felt like a millions bucks. I was laughing with my daughter and everything seemed so clear. Sure my stomach is messed up, but it was messed up on vicodin too. Yeah I have had sweats for the last few days..Yeah the first day mentally it was hard..My mind kept saying that maybe I could just take one because I really am in pain. I was taking a half a pill every 1.5/2 hrs, nonstop, every single day, for over 3 years. The consistency killed me. It was hard watching the clock and every time it hit a point when I would take one I got nervous, but it soon passed. Now I dont even find myself looking. Who cares...If this is all I have to endure so be it. God doesnt give us more than we can handle. If anything, this is a learning experience for me. No need to make the last 4 years a negative time in my life, I WILL make it positive as I have grown as a person.
    I already find myself thinking clearer. I have kept a journal because I never want to forget about this, ever. After so many years my short term memory was shot, and I could not think anymore. I am extremely smart. I had a 4.0 all through college and had plans to go for my law degree. I lost all motivation because of those pills and I just couldnt concentrate anymore. Well I made a decision to go back to school and I knew I needed to get off these first. It isn't even about me. I want my daughter to have a real mom, not the empty shell I was. It may have gone on for a long time, but it is never too late. [
    I told everyone close to me EVERYTHING.. I want them all to know. I am not ashamed. I was addicted and I am no better than any other addict. I told my parents which was the hardest. All my close friends are so supportive. I told my boss everything and he was absolutely amazing, giving me as much time as I need.
    Please, if you are contemplating quiting and you think you cannot do it. Make a list. That is what helped me. I had maybe 2 good things about the pills and 2 pages of bad. I really opened my eyes to person I had become. It wasnt easy to flush them..I could have tapered. My mind kept telling me I needed to taper. I looked in the mirror and said nope, I will not do this. I told myself " Yep it might suck, but put your big girl pants on and suck it up!". I am stronger than that. Such a sense of relief as I watched them swirl down the toilet...that was the goodbye to my old and ON WITH THE NEW.
    I am very sorry for the saga, but I really have a new lease on life and I just want to help other people. I know it has only been a few days and I know the mental part is the hardest. I have given these pills enough of my life, and I refuse to give them anymore. It is time to start living the life I always dreamed of and I will. I have no regrets because that was the decision I made for 4 years. Thanks everyone for listening!!

migueldelfuego is offline New Member

hello perfectlyimperfect44,
    i wanted to let you know much i appreciated reading your post. googling only "norco withdrawals" serves up thousands of pages with wide ranging stories and information. i read yours and just went with it. your message was the only that helped me realize that i could suck it up and make it through this. i herniated 2 discs in my back in college and had extreme pain. so bad in fact, that i had an episode where i was unable to sit upright for 11 days. my doctors gave me a number of different painkillers - vicodin, percocet, roxicet, even demerol. you can see where this is going. i started with a vicodin habit, convinced that i actually needed them to deal with the pain. this went on for several years. fearing for my liver i asked my doctor to switch me to norco. this is where the real trouble began. i'm certain that i was addicted to the vicodin, but i always had a controllable appetite, taking no more than 4-6/day. once i started taking norco, i NEEDED increasingly more just to feel normal. no longer was i taking medication for pain; i was taking it just to prevent myself from falling totally apart. i got up to about 8 norcos/day and stayed there for the past three years. i actually exercised significant self-control to prevent the habit from growing beyond that number. i could have easily been taking twice that many if i let myself.

i have know for a long time that i would have to shake myself from this terrible affliction. i keep telling myself that the timing isn't right. the timing will never be right. i will always find an excuse for doing it tomorrow, next week, next month, etc. i read your post on sunday, and decided it would be the day i quit. i had already taken 2 that day, tapering myself down in the 4 days prior. my last pill was taken about 2:15pm on sunday, and i have not taken one since. i am moved to write this post in hopes that someone facing the same dilemma will read it and find hope. here is what i have learned:
    don't taper; just quit. i tried tapering a number of times. all it did was prolong the duration of my suffering. i spent 30 days tapering from 10/day down to 2. i felt bad every day. dropping below 6 made it significantly worse. getting down to 2, i lost hope thinking "Shouldn't I feel better by now?" of course not! as long as it's in your system it will cause an overwhelming desire to take more. the only solution is quitting outright, immediately. i'm not a doctor, and i'm unable to address whether or not there are any legitimate risks to your health, but in my research i found nothing to suggest that cold turkey would be life threatening.

quitting your meds is NOT the hardest thing you will ever do. i have been taking them every day for 11 years! perhaps you take more pills than me in a day, but 11 years is a long time. in all of that time, not one single day passed without taking opiates. i won't be held back by medication any longer. you will feel all (or most) of the symptoms described in these posts. you know what? they suck, but they will not kill you. imagine having a bad flu. skin sensistivity, nausea, fatigue, stomach upset, watery eyes, yawning, sneezing, and anxiety.
    anxiety is the worst symptom of all. it's the one that tells you all of this could end if you just pop a couple of pills. do it and you will never end the cycle.

my symptoms did not get increasingly worse. i was always terrified that it would get so bad that i couldn't take it. the truth is, i felt the same 5 hours into it, as i did 25 hours into it. different symptoms at different times, but no real increase in intensity.

i am only 70 hours into my detox. i still feel symptoms, but every hour separated brings me greater hope and a sense of accomplishment. i do not feel great yet, but i feel better today than i did yesterday. they say 4 days is a turning point. we'll see. i can say this. i'm not the least but tempted to seek medication. it's honestly the last thing i would do to myself at this point. i finally see that i will make it, because i never want to go through this again. it only takes one pill. i don't need them. i don't want them.

the last thing i'll add is that you should quit, and you can do it. don't put it off 'til you're ready or it will never happen. be strong and be willing to endure some suffering for a week. it's not as hard as you think it will be.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-13-2012 at 08:14 PM.

tryingtohelp25 is offline New Member

Default i am in need of some advice on how to help....

I am trying to help a friend who had suffered a shoulder injury a year ago and was given norcos to manage the pain. she has recently became aware of how dependant she was and has decided to quit cold turkey while she was out of her script. i would like to know if there is anything i can do to help her with the withdrawls and body aches???

Quote Originally Posted by migueldelfuego View Post
    hello perfectlyimperfect44,
    i wanted to let you know much i appreciated reading your post. googling only "norco withdrawals" serves up thousands of pages with wide ranging stories and information. i read yours and just went with it. your message was the only that helped me realize that i could suck it up and make it through this. i herniated 2 discs in my back in college and had extreme pain. so bad in fact, that i had an episode where i was unable to sit upright for 11 days. my doctors gave me a number of different painkillers - vicodin, percocet, roxicet, even demerol. you can see where this is going. i started with a vicodin habit, convinced that i actually needed them to deal with the pain. this went on for several years. fearing for my liver i asked my doctor to switch me to norco. this is where the real trouble began. i'm certain that i was addicted to the vicodin, but i always had a controllable appetite, taking no more than 4-6/day. once i started taking norco, i NEEDED increasingly more just to feel normal. no longer was i taking medication for pain; i was taking it just to prevent myself from falling totally apart. i got up to about 8 norcos/day and stayed there for the past three years. i actually exercised significant self-control to prevent the habit from growing beyond that number. i could have easily been taking twice that many if i let myself.

i have know for a long time that i would have to shake myself from this terrible affliction. i keep telling myself that the timing isn't right. the timing will never be right. i will always find an excuse for doing it tomorrow, next week, next month, etc. i read your post on sunday, and decided it would be the day i quit. i had already taken 2 that day, tapering myself down in the 4 days prior. my last pill was taken about 2:15pm on sunday, and i have not taken one since. i am moved to write this post in hopes that someone facing the same dilemma will read it and find hope. here is what i have learned:
    don't taper; just quit. i tried tapering a number of times. all it did was prolong the duration of my suffering. i spent 30 days tapering from 10/day down to 2. i felt bad every day. dropping below 6 made it significantly worse. getting down to 2, i lost hope thinking "Shouldn't I feel better by now?" of course not! as long as it's in your system it will cause an overwhelming desire to take more. the only solution is quitting outright, immediately. i'm not a doctor, and i'm unable to address whether or not there are any legitimate risks to your health, but in my research i found nothing to suggest that cold turkey would be life threatening.

quitting your meds is NOT the hardest thing you will ever do. i have been taking them every day for 11 years! perhaps you take more pills than me in a day, but 11 years is a long time. in all of that time, not one single day passed without taking opiates. i won't be held back by medication any longer. you will feel all (or most) of the symptoms described in these posts. you know what? they suck, but they will not kill you. imagine having a bad flu. skin sensistivity, nausea, fatigue, stomach upset, watery eyes, yawning, sneezing, and anxiety.
    anxiety is the worst symptom of all. it's the one that tells you all of this could end if you just pop a couple of pills. do it and you will never end the cycle.

my symptoms did not get increasingly worse. i was always terrified that it would get so bad that i couldn't take it. the truth is, i felt the same 5 hours into it, as i did 25 hours into it. different symptoms at different times, but no real increase in intensity.

i am only 70 hours into my detox. i still feel symptoms, but every hour separated brings me greater hope and a sense of accomplishment. i do not feel great yet, but i feel better today than i did yesterday. they say 4 days is a turning point. we'll see. i can say this. i'm not the least but tempted to seek medication. it's honestly the last thing i would do to myself at this point. i finally see that i will make it, because i never want to go through this again. it only takes one pill. i don't need them. i don't want them.

the last thing i'll add is that you should quit, and you can do it. don't put it off 'til you're ready or it will never happen. be strong and be willing to endure some suffering for a week. it's not as hard as you think it will be.

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by tryingtohelp25 View Post
    I am trying to help a friend who had suffered a shoulder injury a year ago and was given norcos to manage the pain. she has recently became aware of how dependant she was and has decided to quit cold turkey while she was out of her script. i would like to know if there is anything i can do to help her with the withdrawls and body aches???
    Hello and welcome. Good for you wanting to help your friend. She is going to be having strong flu-like symptoms for between 5-7 days or so. Lots of hot/cold type symptoms, and maybe headaches, and body shakes.

Hot baths or showers really do help. As many times per day as possible too. Use Epsom Salts in the bath water for body aches. It is awesome and really works well. I use it all the time now. And make your friend get some time of exercise if possible according to her physical condition. And I will give you the link to the Thomas Recipe below. It has lots of vitamins and such to really help with those withdrawal symptoms. Lots of people here have used it and say it really does help. It does suggest the use of some benzo-type medication, but I would suggest it not be used unless absolutely needed. Don't need another addiction on top of the one now. Ask the doctor about it also if needed.

The Thomas Recipe
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html

Again welcome, and please keep posting your friends condition if at all possible. Others here may have other suggestions for you. I wish you both the very best!

Karen

tryingtohelp25 is offline New Member

Karen,
    Thank you so much for the recipe. We are definately gointo try this out! I am willing to do what i can to help her she is infact my best friend. I appreciate the help and support!

momofive is offline New Member

Default Day 1

WOW..This made me cry, I am in Day 1 withdrawl and its soooo hard, plus just getting over the flu isnt helping, I just thought it was the right time since my mind would think its the flu..I am also a mom, I started taking Norcos a year ago, when my bf gave me a half just to feel good, I rejected it for weeks but finally took it, like you, I never did drugs and I dont like to drink but I liked the Norcos because they made me still awake and aware, I could clean the house and take care of the kids without that drunk feeling...BUT I was only taking 3-4 a day when I quit, I started out with a half to one to more..Thank you for your message, I want to soo badly take one, my body hurts sooo bad, but I know Im only on Day1, I hope I feel better tomorrow, How long do you think it will take..
    tryinghard2qt likes this.

Tennis Grandma is offline New Member

I hope you are doing well and completely off Norco. I'm on 2.5 days and I never want to go back to do a "Day 1" again. I'm feeling better each hour and I'm trusting that God will do for me what I can't do for myself. I've been on Norco since 2009 when I had a knee replacement that didn't go well. I've been a slave to Norco since. I'd watch the clock through out the day and for many years kept it to around 4 pills a day. Then in January of this year I had the second knee replaced and was up to 8 - 10 a day and I knew I was in real trouble. I'm will to go to any length to not take another pill. I have children and grandchildren who I want to enjoy. Anyway, I hope you are doing well!! Grandma

Tennis Grandma is offline New Member

Your story encouraged me so much!!! Thank you! I've been off Norco for 2.5 days and I don't ever want to have to repeat the withdrawal process again. The first day was hell. I prayed and prayed; cried; went for short walks; lots of warm baths. I know it will get better because I feel so much better today. I'm still weak with the diarrhea but I trust this too shall pass. I slept the second night which was a touch of heaven. Again, your story gave me hope. Thank you!!

blada is offline Junior Member

Good story, you are fortunate because your addiction really never spiraled out of control in terms of how much you used, and that is why your withdrawal has been minor and should be manageable. To give an idea of what I mean in terms of amount used, I started doing >>>>>> in law school, and like you before that I hadn't done any drugs; no weed, almost never drank. But once I started I knew I had found my drug of choice. At my worst I could easily do 5 bags a day and I eventually had to drop out and just leave the area because I knew that was the only way I'd get free. After that and after eventually getting help and going to rehab I find out I have a herniated disc in my back, and was in agony all the time. So now I am back in a position where I need opioids just to not be in agony the entire day and because of my past abuse it takes just sickening amounts of pain killers just to help me.

That is something you will have to keep in mind if you need surgery again or something, you are now opioid tolerant and even after you get clean and stay clean for even 10 years or more if you ever need pain relief you should mention your history because you will very likely need more than someone without a past experience.

But keep up the good work! Keep us posted and I hope it keeps going better! And I want to point out that if it isn't, or you fear a relapse there is help you can get. Don't be ashamed of getting help because you are a drug addict and you always will be. You need to always be careful but you can do it, and it is really nice to hear that things are going well for you.

aghmakeitstop is offline New Member

I was taking 7 norcos 1 thirtymg oxy and the occasional morphine pill every day for past year or so not because of pain or injury because I liked it. Im an educated career woman with a great job husband and kid home car etc. I literally almost lost it all 4 days ago when my ex kidnapped me for 7 hours ....all of which I was pill free I escaped went to local hospital where they immediately dosed me up on Xanax and were just getting ready to give me an IV injection of dilloted one of my favorites when I told the nurse "no I dont want that " and went to.sleep! I awoke feeling awful but alive! Came home with a Xanax prescription took a day off work gave the rest of my pills away and im doing ok extremely low energy and some bad anxiety the runs I am actually welcoming as crazy as it sounds simply because I feel like my.body is finally cleaning itself out! Im taking the Xanax only when I go to sleep but! The worst part of this is the restless legs that only happen at night. At first mu husband thought I was having nightmares about wat happened bit then we googled it and figured it out! Its not just mu legs its my arms and hips also we are going tp buy some of the advised meds on here today and hopefully they help
    . Its so bad hes scared to sleep in bed with me and I have injured my leg I hope something helps with my energy and legs soon! I dont know why it took this to make me quit .... yes I do I knew he was crazy he was just being released from prison but somewhere in my pill saturated mind I thought he would be a good pill connect and would probably give them tp me free! That almost cost me my life my daughter and my marriage .... thank u for letting me vent and for all your advice I can do this and so can every other person out there .... 4 days! Its gettinbetter

tryinghard2qt is offline New Member

You guys dont understand how much of an inspiration you are to me. Me and my husband have been taking norco's fpr 6years. Every day we have to have them. I decided to quit. We have 3 children and I just feel so awful being addicted. Yesterday was 1 whole day that I didnt take any and I wanted some help. I found your posts and it made me feel so much better that others were going through the exact same thing. I was bad yesterday but staying active, cleaning, gardening, etc.. helped a lot. I didnt get much sleep last night, but I woke up feeling so good about myself. My husband wasnt ready to quit but after me reading your posts to him, he got encouraged. He is trying now and also staying active. I really think I can actually do it. So im on day 2 now. Im just praying to god to keep me strong. Im also 6 weeks pregnant so my body is already feeling tired and drained, but I dont want my baby coming out addicted to hydrocodone, so I have to do this. I will give another update tommorrow. Thank you. You dont know what you have done for me.

BookishBG is offline New Member

Good luck TryingHard... with such a great attitude, you CAN do this. And if you and your husband work together and support each other, there will be no stooping you two! I'm about a month clean after battling a 3 year addiction (I've actually lost count of the # of days! Amazing!) The support of my husband and this Board made all the difference. You can do it and so can your husband! Stick with it! You CAN move forward...

RoroT is offline New Member

I want to thank everyone for all the words and personal experiences. I've been battling the withdrawal for two days now. This is my second attempt. The first was going well, until school started and standing was an issue for my back injury. I have been super depressed, agitated, tired, restless, and no ambition. I'm not the type to let life's problems slip through my fingers but for the last year I have let so much of my life become out of my control. I also have a daughter that I can't even spend loving time with due to mood swings and such. My boyfriend and most friend are enablers, so I feel lost with no support. I don't even know what my goals in life are anymore. I feel the need to check into a mental hospital. Any advise on making it easier because I feel I might give into temptation mainly due to the depression

Helppplease is offline New Member

I am on day 2 of Percocet withdrawal and I have in and took lortab bc of how miserable I am. Is this gonna start the process over???