Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By deniserosner
  • 1 Post By bakerd
Cymbalta Withdrawal
    BassetHounds Rule is offline New Member

Unhappy Cymbalta Withdrawal

Hello everyone - I haven't been here in months but wanted to stop by to see if there was anyone here to stop me from going NUTS.

I've been on 60mg of Cymbalta for just about a year, I told my pdoc I wanted off of it, my life is getting better, the depression is lessening etc...

I respect her very much and believe she knows what she is doing relative to my taper schedule - I am currently on 40mg, I will stay there for a total of a month, then go to 20mg for a month, then 20mg every other day for a month, then stop.

When I initally started the taper (about 2.5 weeks ago) I was ok, a few brain zaps but nothing I couldn't handle. But yesterday and today? Good God! This sucks! The brain zaps are TERRIBLE today, I am fuzzy, didn't sleep well - and have terrible self-injury thoughts (not new to me).

Does anyone have any suggestions, homeopathic, vitamins (I did hear that Omega 3's help) or anything that would help lessen the pain of this journey though hell? I do take a controlled release form of Xanax with this drug but it only does so much. I could not in good faith represent the drug to anyone - and I've been on plenty of them.

I also gained weight on Cymbalta and mixed with my eating disorder? Let's just say that is also wreaking havoc with my head in its own way.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

cbeach2 is offline New Member

Red face scared to try withdrawl

Hi-
    I too am taking Cymbalta- 60 mg. a day for about 2 years( and would love to get off of it-) as I suffer from Fibromyalgia and severe depression. I HAD terrible daily pain before Cybalta, and found that the Cymbalta has helped me incredibly with the pain- but not NEAR enough for my depression and anxiety. I find that if I even miss my dose by 4 hours- I start getting the "Brain ZAPS"
    . It's very scary to me, I don't want to be on this drug- I am actually having suicidal thoughts (alot of teenager stress going on here), and I didn't ever get THAT bad with my depression before Cymbalta. I'd love to hear from you as your journey progresses. Maybe I should talk to my doc about an additional anti- depressant for the depression?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BassetHounds Rule View Post
    Hello everyone - I haven't been here in months but wanted to stop by to see if there was anyone here to stop me from going NUTS.

I've been on 60mg of Cymbalta for just about a year, I told my pdoc I wanted off of it, my life is getting better, the depression is lessening etc...

I respect her very much and believe she knows what she is doing relative to my taper schedule - I am currently on 40mg, I will stay there for a total of a month, then go to 20mg for a month, then 20mg every other day for a month, then stop.

When I initally started the taper (about 2.5 weeks ago) I was ok, a few brain zaps but nothing I couldn't handle. But yesterday and today? Good God! This sucks! The brain zaps are TERRIBLE today, I am fuzzy, didn't sleep well - and have terrible self-injury thoughts (not new to me).

Does anyone have any suggestions, homeopathic, vitamins (I did hear that Omega 3's help) or anything that would help lessen the pain of this journey though hell? I do take a controlled release form of Xanax with this drug but it only does so much. I could not in good faith represent the drug to anyone - and I've been on plenty of them.

I also gained weight on Cymbalta and mixed with my eating disorder? Let's just say that is also wreaking havoc with my head in its own way.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey Cbeach2,

Thanks for responding to my post! Have you talked to your doc or pdoc about trying something like Neurontin or Lyrica for your fibromyalgia? Both meds are non-narcotic meds for nerve pain - I don't know know if it will work for you but it might be worth asking about. Then you can start to get yourself off of Cymbalta (and maybe you can try another antidepressant) - I don't know if you can email me through this site, but I can also give post my email address if that's not possible if you'd like to stay in touch.

Thanks!

BHR

cbeach2 is offline New Member

Red face Thanks for your reply

- Dear DHR-

Thanks for the reply. I have tried so many meds over the last 15 years (most of which were removed from the market. I've reached the point that I wish I could just TAKE the narcotics - when I need them, as opposed to taking something everyday that messes up your brain so much! I didn't even realize how strong Cymbalta was until I got a little lazy about when to take my meds on vacation. I've never felt so weird and scared before! I had what sounded like something flying around inside my head. I don't feel it's been that beneficial for my depression- just helps with the pain a little- well, maybe alot... there was alot of pain before. I have heard about Lyrica, but also heard it makes you gain weight? I can't afford to gain weight- already need to lose about 20.
    Very nice talking to you.
    cbeach2

Quote Originally Posted by BassetHounds Rule View Post
    Hey Cbeach2,

Thanks for responding to my post! Have you talked to your doc or pdoc about trying something like Neurontin or Lyrica for your fibromyalgia? Both meds are non-narcotic meds for nerve pain - I don't know know if it will work for you but it might be worth asking about. Then you can start to get yourself off of Cymbalta (and maybe you can try another antidepressant) - I don't know if you can email me through this site, but I can also give post my email address if that's not possible if you'd like to stay in touch.

Thanks!

BHR

sparkey is offline Junior Member

I also have been on Cymbalta but only for 3 months due to neurologic pain of my hand/wrist. It does not seem to be working for the depression or the pain but the doctor will not take me off them. I always hear people saying they get brain zaps etc. I take 60mg and never even felt a zap before. Is this normal to always hear people feeling that, when i never did before? I think i could take it or leave it really. Sometimes i almost forget to take it. Actually i gained some weight and i went about 2 weeks without it without the doc knowing ( i know its wrong to do) and thank god took it about a hour before the doctor surprised me with a drug test. I get surprise drug test only because i go to a pain clinic and they want to make sure i am taking my narcotics and not selling them.

After that drug test i have been taking them everyday. The workers comp. insurance co. checks every now and then i guess to see if i am using them as they cost them 300 a month. What exactly does the zap feel like? Just curious. Also you should not feel like you could threaten your life. If you do feel that way you should get off them.

Cbeach2, Sparkey ~

Everything I've heard and read regarding Lyrica is that yes it does cause weight gain (A SPECIAL THANKS GOES OUT TO MY PDOC FOR NOT SHARING THAT IMPORTANT FACT WITH A PATIENT WITH AN EATING DISORDER!!) I never questioned my pdoc, she is very competent, but I was a little more than ticked off when I read about all of the people who have taken Lyrica and suffered the side effect of weight gain.

Sparkey -

A brain zap I think can be best described as almost like an electrical impulse that "zaps" in your brain for a split second - in a wave like fashion. Depending on the severity of the zap (I find that emotional "stuff" exacerbates them for me personally) sometimes nausea accompanies the zap.

I am not sure if I did a very good job at explaining it - but I am happy to report that I am down to 20mg (just today!) with limited zaps. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that it continues. I want off of this and Lyrica SO badly - I want my body back!

auntybiotic is offline Senior Member

Default Tapering too fast

Hi,

All SSRI's and similiar antidepressants reuptake serotonin levels. You should not taper more then 10% of your current dose and then should wait two to three weeks to stabalize. The brain zaps are your neurotansmitter in your brain misfiring due to the fast taper.

Please go to Lexapro Withdrawal on this forum and read thru the posts. Although you are on a different drug, the effects are the same and a slow taper is necessary. If you do not slow down your taper the effects will catch up to you about three to four months after you have stopped the drug. Depersonalization will be one of the withdrawal effects that can last up to a year. Zaps, Hot Flashes, Mood issues, crying spells, Nightmares, Muscle aches and stomach cramps are a few more of the withdrawal effects you may experience.

I do not want to scare you but to help you learn from others mistakes. Please go to Lexapro Withdrawal and read the stories. You will be able to identify.
    Last edited by auntybiotic; 09-17-2007 at 10:21 PM.

circa9870 is offline Junior Member

I will tell you guys that lyrica and nuerontin both had less side effects than other meds ever have had for me ever. However I tend to be very resilient to side effects ( with the exception of a few meds, ie Depakote-made me gain 30lbs in 1 month and I have never gained weight in my life, I just could not stop eating, no matter how much I ate I was still hungry, it was terrible), but I had ZERO side effects from either of these meds no matter how high my dose goes. Unfortunately I had no desired effects from nuerontin either, and I think that the effects from the lyrica are very limited and do not increase when the dose increases ( the desired effect being to reduce and eventually stop my chronic daily headaches).

Anyway I was jsut informing you people that Lyrica and Nuerontin were about as good as you can get as far as side effects go for me. But everyone is different, I would at least give it a go though.

Good luck everybody
    Circa

Auntybiotic:

I think I have a relatively conservative taper schedule - I was on 60mg for about a year, I dropped to 40mg for one month, then dropped to 20mg (where I am now) for a month, I have about 3 weeks left at 20. Then I am dropping to 20mg every other day for a month then stop.

I was also given the green light today to reduce my Lyrica from 75mg to 50mg for a couple of weeks, then to 25mg for a couple of weeks, then stop.

So it will take me a while to be free of both of these meds - but man today the zaps SUCKED. I will say, that has part of my therapy work, I do some mind/body/energy work (hands on, lots of visceral work) and without a shadow of a doubt that helps my zaps at least for that one whole day.

Anyway...thanks to those who have responded - I very much appreciate it!

atlabmyc is offline New Member

Default cold turkey

if you decide to wean and you are on your last step you do not want to take every other day off due to the very short half life (prozac being the exeption b/c of longer deterioration rate), you won't be doing yourself any good. last sunday i stopped 60mg cold turkey and i must say the days were BAD. yesterday was better than thursday and i'm hopeing today will be better than yesterday. the worst effect are the brain zaps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_zaps. (nothing will totally get rid of them - you just have to bite the bullet although omega 3, mangesium, malic acid, b-12 , and gaba could help make them more tolerable. i don't think people, doctors mostly, are realizing how terrible these ssri snri 'drugs' are... they should not be prescribing them like candy... and as for the rx companies they are another story, selling misery in a bottle for revenue, huh - disgusting.

atlabmyc is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by auntybiotic View Post
    Hi,
    If you do not slow down your taper the effects will catch up to you about three to four months after you have stopped the drug. Depersonalization will be one of the withdrawal effects that can last up to a year. Zaps, Hot Flashes, Mood issues, crying spells, Nightmares, Muscle aches and stomach cramps are a few more of the withdrawal effects you may experience.
    what are you talking about, the drug should be out of your system after a month from stopping. even if you taper you will still have the effects, they may be less but they will still be there. the body's chemistry has to adjust to being without the substance. be more clear if you are going to write.
    Last edited by atlabmyc; 09-22-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks for the replies everyone...

The good news for me is, aside from a few brain zaps I am really doing ok on the withdrawal. I am also coming off of the Lyrica - YAHOO! So I am keeping my fingers crossed that with the Lyrica down in dosage and the Cymbalta down in dosage, plus my new excercise schedule that this weight will start to come down. I feel horrible because of it.

My pdoc looked at me and said, "so you are trying to put me out of a job huh?" She rarely uses humor so it was kind of funny - I looked her straight in the face and said - "yeah, pretty much, I'm looking forward to being drug free".

What Winners Do is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta Withdrawal Is Brutal

I myself have been through Cymbalta Withdrawal. Other than taking some benedryl and dramamine to try and alleviate the brain zaps (electrical shock feeling in your brain) and dizziness...I just had to ride it out.

Knowing that you are not alone in this helps a lot. I posted an article on my site WhatWinnersDo which was called Cymbalta Withdrawal Symptoms Suck and the response I got was astonishing.

There are hundreds of comments on there from others going through the same thing as you right now. You should check it out.

I wish you a lot of luck and don't worry, you'll get through this

turpin41 is offline New Member

Default cymbalta

Ive been on 120mg of cymbalta daily for 11 months now, i have recently gotten off of my 5mg valiums because my panic attacks are ceasing a little.
    i called my dr today and left a message saying i want off the ssnri. its having more adverse affects for me than good, and doing research on it, it doesnt really look like to be a very good med. (bad outweighs the good)
    by doing this, i have brain zaps if i miss a dose by 2hrs, the valiums werent really strong enough for me nemore, so i was thinking about being put back on xanax, mabye 1mg (footballs) i know the xanax has a more sedating effect for me than the valium, it was mostly used for minor attacks. the xanax really helped me calm down when i was at the peak of panic attacks. would getting back on the xanax or another benzo help with getting off the ssnri? i know withdraws from cymbalta will be hell, but im done with it!
    at least the benzos dont have all the adverse affects, unless ur an addict.
    i just want my life back, im an insomniac now i take seroquel to sleep, and it will not help nemore, also zanaflex, to help sleep, still no luck. And i have been having night terrors, very vivid lucid nightmares. which i heard could be a side effect of cymbalta.

just want some opinions of what i should tell my dr what would be best to be put on and how to go about telling her that i want off the anti-dep.

deniserosner is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta Withdrawal

Hi all, I went cold turkey 2 weeks ago because trying to go every other day for a week, (I had been taking 60 mg. for 10 months) just didn't work. Thank God for these sites - they saved my life as I really thought I was dying. And after reading the blogs and forums, I decided to just bite the bullet and just STOP, because as you know, any kind of weaning just DOES NOT work. The minute you stop, even if you're down to 2 freakin beads a pill (meanwhile going through the hell all along), you go through this withdrawal no matter what!

My husband is a Chiropractor and he made many calls to his MD and pharmacist friends to confirm that you do not destroy your body or brain, etc. by going cold turkey. I think the Dr.'s have you wean for as long as possible so that the money continues to come in for the drug companies (only my opinion). Either that or they really are just that clueless about these withdrawal symptoms and think they're doing the right thing.

I'm making myself write this now, as I've selfishly only been reading all of your comments to get me through the horror (I won't bother repeating all the symptoms that you all know too well) and NOW I'm FEELING BETTER and my anger, depression, suicidal thoughts and thoughts of murder to whomever is responsible for this poison, is going away and I feel myself slipping into the "been there, done that and don't care anymore". I don't want to go there - this needs to be addressed. Is there a class-action lawsuit that anybody knows about?

In any case, the MAIN reason I'm writing is to tell you all to go to this site http://www.theroadback.org/aaataperfast.htm (in case the link doesn't come up, it's The Road Back site) and it gives you a vitamin supplement regimen to follow that addresses all the withdrawal symptoms and it really, really HELPS. The site is large but take the time to surf it, find the 'tapering off of antidpressant' parts and follow their recommendations. You will see what you need to take to address the different symptoms, like major amounts of Omega 3 for the 'brain zaps', etc. I took what I needed and still am but have lessened as I'm feeling better.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm still 'zapping', sweating, dizzy and nauseous but getting better and better each day. The crying spells are down to maybe once a day and I was able to drive yesterday without feeling I was going to kill anyone....

Keep the faith and thank God for you all!!!
    TallDall likes this.

swordfisherman is offline New Member

If I had known the extent of what to expect with Cymbalta withdrawl, I never would have opted to initiate use of the medication.

I was prescribed the medication as an adjunct for a severe back injury. It was prescribed in concert with a variety of other medications, including pain meds. The rationale is that the combination of SSRI and SNRI work in concert to mitigate nerve related pain while also "lifting ones spirits" because mild depression is common in those who experience chornic pain.

I was started on 30mg with little benefit. After a period of 3 months, the dose was doubled to 60mg, still with little benefit. I then was subsequently prescribed 120mg, and I began to have success with the medication. It seemed to be more effective then other nerve related meds like Gabapent./Noront. and also seemed to infact lift my spirits.

I came to a point however, after roughly 2 years on the medication, where I decided I no longer was interested in taking the med. It has a variety of side effects, one of which inhibits one's libido, as well as causing bad side effects when mixed with alcohol, even minimal amounts such as 1/2 glass of wine. Additionally, the medication appears to have an impact on hypertension and increased H/R. I thought perhaps I was suffering from PSVT, when infact I wasn't. I attributed these symptoms ultimately to the Cymbalta (which clinically, there now appears to be a quantifiable nexus between the two).

At anyrate, I began to trim down the dose, ultimately back down to 60mg. I let the prescription run out, and opted not to refill the med. About 4 days after ceasing use of the medication, sever withdrawl symptoms began. These symptoms were much more severe (in my experience) than medication cessation from various narcotic/opiate based meds. I experienced much of what was described by my fellow patients above, in addition to SEVERE depression, of which I have never suffered. I began to actually think, not debate nor consider, but actually think about taking my life. I know I would never go through with such an act, however these thoughts were never something I had ever experienced in my life. Like my fellow posters explained, anger, sadness, shortness of patience all became very real symptoms. The most severe symptoms lasted for about 1 week, then slowly began to lessen.

I ultimately went back on the medication, by the reccommendation of my PCP and my own volition. Withing 3 days, I began to experience a strange euphoric sense and became abnormally extroverted. These symptoms lasted about 2 weeks, then my mood, sociability, etc., all stabilized.

I am currently using 60mg per day, and periodically miss a dose due to forgetfullness, etc.

I have spoken to my physician, my family members, and others syffering chronic pain, depression, nerve related pain, etc., and advise people not to take this medication. I WOULD NEVER HAVE BEGUN TO TAKE THIS MED IF I WERE AWARE OF ITS TERRIBLE WITHDRAWL EFFECTS, AS WELL AS THE IMPLICATIONS OF THE MEDICATION ON THE CARDIOVAS. SYSTEM. DO NOT TAKE THIS MED. There are alternative treatments available. I retrospect, I wish I had simply stuck with the narcotics, the Motrin, various gaba drugs like Gabapentin, Ambien for sleep, Tizanadine, etc. I would have opted for Lexparo, if I thought I actually was suffering from depression caused by my injuries and chronic pain. I had no need for an anti-depressant and like I had said in the last few sentences, there are other alternatives for dealing with nerve pain.

At this juncture, I am terrified of coming off the medication. In my opinion, based on my recorded vitals over the period of time i've been on this med, there are clear implications on the blood pressure, heart rate, ventricular tachycardia....and worst of all, the terrible withdrawl. To put it in perspective, I've periodically ceased taking pain medications in an attempt to measure my pain threshold at various points during treatment over the last 5 years. Naturally, anyone who's been taking any narcotic anelgesic for a long period of time, WILL have some degree of cessation effects, which include fun (not) things like irregular bowl movements, increased H/R, BP, watery eyes, runny nose, etc. These last a few days then start to dissappear. In my experience, the cessation effects of the Cymbalta trump those caused by stopping the use of narcotic anelgesics. I've never been an illicite drug user, and have never abused my pain medication. I challenge anyone who's been using narcotic pain meds for a prolonged period to deny they suffer some degree of withdrawls if they suddenly stop. It's only natural because our bodies acclimate to the presence of these drugs which do strange things to our pain receptors and our opiate receptors. Still, the narcotic cessations don't hold a candle to the Cymbalta withdrawls from my experience.

I feel for everyone who's suffered the Cymbalta withdrawls. For goodness sake, if you only need a medication to treat depression, use Lexapro, Zoloft, or any other SSRI..just stay away from the Cymbalta. I suspect it will work very well at mitigating depression for people who are clinically depressed. However, the benefits are not worth the terrible problems the drug will create when you decide to stop. Again, please think critically about the experiences of those who have gone through this. It's not hype, it's not imagined. It's as real as real comes. For someone like me who has chronic and debilitating pain, Cymbalta is not the right drug to use. In retrospect, I would have been happy simply using the narcotics, the Motrin, Ambien, Gabapentin, and muscle relaxers.....anything but Cymbalta.

I now fear I may be stuck with this medication for life. I sincerely hope that will not be the case, but I do worry. I worry alot. And the implication to my mental health after ceasing use of the drug only narrowly surpases the implications on my cardio system.

Good luck to everyone and keep the faith.

Joe
    Last edited by swordfisherman; 05-21-2009 at 04:46 AM.

in2deep is offline Junior Member

hey i feel for you, i was misdiagnosed with depression & was put on 60mg cymbalta, along with buspar, i cant remember the 6 months of my life that i was on this drug except for going to a&e a few times after serious self harm & a suicide, things that i had never done until i was put on these drugs. A pyschiatrist came to my house after this incident & took my pills away with her, told my gp not to prescribe me anything & told me i would have no withdrawal. Well it the worst 2 weeks of my life, i was really sick, stayed in bed mostly, tried to top myself again coz i was so ill & no one could help me as they wer bound by the pyschs decision. My boyf had 2 stay wiv me 24/7, i acted very erratically. I dont know what i can advise except dont just stop. I will never go on ad's again that experience, im sure your experience will be a lot better if you are tapering. I dont want to scare u, just thought >> explain wat happend to me when i stopped suddenly. Good luck

lpel75 is offline New Member

Default Almost died trying to go off Cymbalta

I have been reading your messages and I feel like I have found something to save my life.
    I have been taking Cymbalta for several months and did not like the side effects and decided to stop taking the pill about a week ago. I have experienced the brain zap, deep dark depression, sweats, chills etc. Last night I was feeling sick to my stomach and all of a sudden I had to throw up. I have never experienced anything so violent in my life. I had to stick a toothbrush in my mouth to keep me from asperating as it was such a violent session. I fear that I may have harmed my eyes during this episode as when I could finally get up and look in the mirror, my vision was blurry and my whites of my eyes were all red. I fell into bed and slept and when I got up this morning my eyes do not look like they belong to a human. My eye lids are so swollen that I can barely see out of my eyes and are so sore that I cannot touch them. I just want everyone that is going through this to please be careful if they are feeling sick to their stomach.
    I forgot to say that I take Cymbalta for fibromyalgia
    Last edited by lpel75; 07-04-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: mistyped in spots

Bre33 is offline New Member

Default Use another SSRI

If you can get your doctor to prescribe you another SSRI or SNRI while you are weaning of the Cymbalta, that may ease your withdrawal symptoms. I know it doesn't seem logical to begin taking another drug while trying to get off of one, but I believe this should work for you. See what she would suggest, either way you need -something- right? Either a slower taper or another drug to help you through. Take a look at this web page, It has a lot of helpful information on it and is very interesting. http://bipolarblast.wordpress.com/
    I'm sorry to hear about your situationa nd wish you the best of luck!

Rowan1 is offline New Member

Default cymbalta withdrawal and excercise?

I was on 60 mg, down to 30mg for a month, then started at 20 mg for about 2 weeks. Yes it was very uncomfortable esp around day 3, so I took a 20 mg for a couple of days and tried again. Did this about 3 times. So now have been off for over a week. I noticed coffee in the morning, I think, would agitate the zaps, I have been getting more tingling/zaps in my arms and hands, particularly the right side. Which is interesting b/c that is the arm/hand I have the most issues with b/c I work at computers. I am always stretching to unblock all my tight muscles.
    Okay so coffee appears to effect the symptoms, from my experience. And I really want to drink it b/c I am feeling very drained from the withdrawal. So I am taking more naps, even though I can't necessarily fall asleep, I am trying to be kind to myself and let myself rest. I can say, yes I have been upset to feel so intensely after having cymbalta subdue the effects, I get panicked and and sad and angry. I just let it run it's course. I mean I am not having symptoms of suicide, so I just try not to get too freaked out, kinda like how we can all be more emotional as women during our period event.

Well, the main reason I am posting is I found if I excercise the zaps don't happen or at least I am distracted? So I walk and then on weekends I have been biking more aggressively. Hoping this might relieve some symptoms for people. If it is really nasty, go ride your bike, or something where you are safe, can access people if you need assistance and is low key. Maybe the gym even.
    I also have been drinking, just once or twice emergency-c vitamin powerderd drink. Thinking I should keep my electrolytes in balance, I guess Viso or Gatorade(though there is alot of sugar in that) or some type of vitamin drink might help.

This is all my own experience and is not based in anything I have read directly concerning withdrawal from cymbalta, but I found these things help and I know it is very uncomfortable so I just had to post these suggestions.

I am mixing omega 3 with flax seed oil in my meals too, trying to eat healthy so that everything I put in me helps keep my "system" balanced as possible.

glchampagne is offline New Member

Talking

Hi everyone,
    I have to touch base with everyone since some of your post helped me a year ago. I've never post but I feel like I now need to help if anyone needs it or wants it. I have now been off Cymbalta for right at a year now and let me tell you it was HELL for about 2 months and still had symptoms for about 5 months with being tired, no energy, and no appetite. My appetite still sucks but I will take it over the hell I went through with the cymbalta.
    Anyway my point is not to tell you all of my symptoms because it sounds like everyone has mention all of them. I do want to let you know about the drug provigil. This is a drug that is provided just for energy. I was put on it about 8 months before I came off of cymbalta because I couldn't figure out why I was falling asleep on the way to work first thing in the morning after a full night of sleep. This drug has worked wonders for me because I absolutely refuse to go on any antidepressant sense cymbalta. I was on several before cymbalta but never had the withdrawal symptoms of cymbalta so I opted to stay on just provigil which is NOT an antidepressent.
    I have now just switch to nuvigil which is just an improvement of provigil and it works wonders for energy!!!!! It just puts you in a good mood and you get a lot done that you never thought possible before.
    By all means it does NOT help you with the withdrawals I don't think anything can help with that except a lot of praying that you don't shoot yourself first before you get through however nuvigil is a beautiful drug with NO side effects or withdrawals.
    Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any questions if you need to!
    I don't know about anyone else but I have notice a lot more people being put on cymbalta from their doctor. I have two people on it and I tell them everyday I pray for them when they choose to come off!!!! I tried to get them to avoid it but they have already been talked into it from their doctor.

Also, forgive me if some of this doesn't make since but it's 1 in the morning and I'm very tired but I had to write the post!!

Good Luck everyone ,there is a light at the end of the tunnel just remember everyday down is another day closer back to your life. The light does get brighter TRUST ME!!!!! I'm a year clean and loving it

bakerd is offline New Member

Red face Kicking the Cymbalta Withdrawls

I wanted to give folks a little hope about kicking the Cymbalta withdrawls. I have taken Cymbalta for almost three years and it was working fine till eight months ago. I've struggled with PTSD for about 11 years now and tried all kinds of meds and finally found out about Cymbalta. It worked great at helping me get better. The problems started when I would accidentally miss a dose. Not having any history of headaches, or migranes, I suddenly began getting these unbelievable migranes that would last 3 or 4 days at a time. It wasn't until recently that I was able to link them with the Cymbalta I was taking and the accidental missed doses. Then there were these terrible electrical shocks inside my head going on and ringing sounds. Funny thing was when I got back on schedule with the Cymablta doses the migranes faded and the crazy zapping and ringing in my head would stop. Finally I realized it was the Cymbalta. I mean honestly, I had my doctor check me out for everything. Diabetes, Lupus, anything that could cause migranes. Everything came up negative. I finally told my doctor I wanted off Cymbalta because it wasn't helping me anymore, but rather, it was now hurting me. I went from 60mg to 30mg for about 2 weeks and had him then switch me to wellbutrin (Spelling?). Well I started the transition and there came the migrane with the vengence, the brain shocks, nausea, paranoia, all kinds of crazy stuff. I felt like I was back at square one with the PTSD.

Then I read more online about the withdrawls from Cymbalta and found one blogger mentioned that their withdrawl symptoms mellowed out with Benedryl. Sure enough it worked! I have my witts about me once again. I figured that transitioning to Wellbutrin would be easier to tapper off of than the Cymbalta if once I get to the place where I don't need anti-depresants anymore. I knew I could not stand weeks or months of kicking Cymbalta with all the staggering effects of it's withdrawl. This is what has worked really well for me.

Now I have to balance this story out and say this about Cymbalta... When nothing else worked to help me function under the PTSD, Cymbalta worked great! Did it help me get better? With God's help I'd have to say yes. However kicking Cymbalta should be approached as an endeavor.You will require as much information as you need to know what to expect so when it happens whether severe or not so much you'll know it is really like kicking a narcotic. You'll need help from freinds or family, their support, and some benedryl to help you get through it. Hope this was helpful.
    helpforall likes this.

tlcoll61 is offline New Member

Default scared

Quote Originally Posted by glchampagne View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have to touch base with everyone since some of your post helped me a year ago. I've never post but I feel like I now need to help if anyone needs it or wants it. I have now been off Cymbalta for right at a year now and let me tell you it was HELL for about 2 months and still had symptoms for about 5 months with being tired, no energy, and no appetite. My appetite still sucks but I will take it over the hell I went through with the cymbalta.
    Anyway my point is not to tell you all of my symptoms because it sounds like everyone has mention all of them. I do want to let you know about the drug provigil. This is a drug that is provided just for energy. I was put on it about 8 months before I came off of cymbalta because I couldn't figure out why I was falling asleep on the way to work first thing in the morning after a full night of sleep. This drug has worked wonders for me because I absolutely refuse to go on any antidepressant sense cymbalta. I was on several before cymbalta but never had the withdrawal symptoms of cymbalta so I opted to stay on just provigil which is NOT an antidepressent.
    I have now just switch to nuvigil which is just an improvement of provigil and it works wonders for energy!!!!! It just puts you in a good mood and you get a lot done that you never thought possible before.
    By all means it does NOT help you with the withdrawals I don't think anything can help with that except a lot of praying that you don't shoot yourself first before you get through however nuvigil is a beautiful drug with NO side effects or withdrawals.
    Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any questions if you need to!
    I don't know about anyone else but I have notice a lot more people being put on cymbalta from their doctor. I have two people on it and I tell them everyday I pray for them when they choose to come off!!!! I tried to get them to avoid it but they have already been talked into it from their doctor.

Also, forgive me if some of this doesn't make since but it's 1 in the morning and I'm very tired but I had to write the post!!

Good Luck everyone ,there is a light at the end of the tunnel just remember everyday down is another day closer back to your life. The light does get brighter TRUST ME!!!!! I'm a year clean and loving it
    i have just started cymbalta..about a week now and from what i'm reading here i don't think i want to cont. have tryed lexapro and wellbutrin before cymbalta quit both of them cold turkey with no problem...i am now on 30mg of cymbalta and 1mg of xanxa plus 10mg oxycotin

ihope because i only been on cymblata just a short while it will not be to hard to get off....any one have any sugestions

tlcoll61 is offline New Member

Default scared

first of all i must say sorry to using some elses comments to post mine ...took me a few minutes to figure out how to post my own...a little slow in my brain sometimes....

i have only been on 30mg of cymbalta now for a week.....from what i am reading on this web site i am not sure i want to continue....tryed both lexapro and wellbutrin..quit both cold turkey with no problems or side affects. at present time i am on 30mg cymblata..10mg xanax...10mg oxycotin...

any one ever heard of this combo before and will there be any withdrawals since i have only ben on cymbalta for such a short time...

dre1974 is offline New Member

Default coming off cymbalta......having a hard time

I know I haven't tapered off well. Went from 90 mg to 30 mg and then stopped in about a week. So I know I should have done a better job at this but I have been experiencing some weird stuff.

1. I have numbness in my face primarily my lips
    2. I have had some vicious headaches over the last few days

But the most incredible thing has happened also.
    1. I (mentally) feel amazing
    2. I have tons of energy
    3. My mood is UP, UP, UP!

I feel like maybe the drug was making me more depressed. Also and maybe most important, my non-existant sex drive has returned with a vengeance!

toomuchman is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta withdrawl

I am going through cymbalta withdrawl right night. I haven't taken any in two weeks because of a prior authorization problem with the state medicaid system. Never had side effects. But I am having many of the same symptoms everyone else is talking about. One thing about me is I don't get the brain zaps. I am sweating and jjittery and last saturday I got so depressed I would just break out in tears for no reason, I did this all day long. I also couldn't concentrate on my school work. a thought would pop into my head and I wounld start obsessing about it, Made concentrating on my reading impossible. I am also on lyrica. Itake 150mg a day of lyrical and 90 mg of Cymbalta for depression and severe neuropathy. Lyriica has the worst withdrawl symptoms.

Terrified Dancer is offline New Member

Unhappy Cymbalta - Is it the "New Beginning" or the "Beginning of the End"?

I've had sever Fibromyalgia since 1991, actually diagnosed by a Rheumatologist in 1993. No-body had ever heard of it back then, but now it seems to be an epidemic. I've been on every SSRI on the market. I also took Neuronton for severl yrs and Lyric. I started taking Cymbalta back in 2005. Initially, I had a difficulty increasing the dose enough to actually relieve my pain. But I was eventually able to increase Cymbalta to 90mg and it changed my life. After years of marginal relief, I was actually able to stop all other pain medication. The drug was not without side effects though mostly psychological, but the pain relief seemed worth it. However, after several years, just like all the other SSRIs, the drugs benefits began to decrease and I began having terrible bouts of insomnia, hot and freezing spells, sever depression and thoughts of suicide. But, my recurring symptoms were all psycological and the pain blocking effect Cymbalta provided continued. My dose was increased to 120mg (60mg twice a day) and the benefits were astounding. For the first time in 18 yrs not only was the pain almost completely gone, but I wasn't the least bit depressed. I was calmer, happier and much more productive. My adult sons were impressed and glad I was "back to my old self again". For the first time in 18 yrs I even dated, was able to exercise and even went dancing a couple of times. This lasted just over 2 yrs and was like a miracle. Now Cymbalta has started to decrease in effectiveness again and the erratic mood swings, insomnia and hot and cold flashes are back. But the pain blocking effects still seem to be working. I'm terrified. I live alone and am already fighting thoughts of suicide. The Cymbalta can not be increased. It looks like I'm going to go off the drug whether I want to or not as the emotional and psychological remedy by the drug are just going to stop working. But I don't want to go off the drug because the pain blocking effects are unmatched. Does ANYONE know of an antidepressant, (besides Wellbutiron done that too), that can be taken in addition to the Cymbalta?

Jen_1 is offline New Member

I Quit Cymbalta Cold Turkey After One 30mg Capsule

My Two Cents Worth:

First of all I would like to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone who has written about their experience of being on Cymbalta and their struggle with Cymbalta withdrawal. I believe that you have saved not only myself but many others from a lot of pain.

I was prescribed Cymbalta 30mg on the 16 April 2012 by my doctor in order to treat depression and anxiety. I was told to 'try it' over the next 7 days to see if I could handle the side effects. He said that in the beginning I would get some nausea but that I should persevere and try to stay on it for at least a month, which is when it would start to work. He never said anything about it possibly damaging my liver or anything about withdrawal symptoms, just that I shouldn't suddenly stop in the middle of the treatment.

I was nervous about taking it but at the time I was desperate for any kind of help. I took one 30mg capsule about 12pm with some lunch (to minimise the nausea) but by 2pm I had a very upset stomach with a lot of wind (gas), slight cramping, a very stiff neck, dry mouth and headache.

Around 4pm I fell asleep (without meaning to) while on the couch. I woke up a couple of hours later feeling completely disorientated, confused and nauseous. I felt so spaced out and like I was still dreaming.

By 7pm I had such bad nausea I couldn't make dinner (much less eat anything) and a very bad headache. I was drinking heaps of water to help with the dry mouth and I also had very bad constipation (something I have to avoid as I have diverticulitis).

The next day (17th April) I felt a lot better (more clear-headed) and decided to Google Cymbalta to find out more about the side effects and if people had experienced the same effects as I had. I became so scared when I read all the forums and support groups for people battling with horrific Cymbalta withdrawal, I decided to quit it then and there.

I decided to go cold turkey simply because I had only taken one capsule and reasoned that it wouldn't have had much effect on me yet. I didn't really want to take a half capsule as I didn't want my body getting used to having the drug in my system anymore than it already had.

The rest of the day I was anxious, shaky and had bad diarrhoea. By bedtime I was headachy (pressure at the back of the head) and with a little neck pain.

I woke up today (18th April) expecting to be in withdrawal hell (48hrs after my first and last capsule)... but I am one of the lucky ones. All I have had to deal with today has been a slight headache in the morning that disappeared once I had breakfast. I am hoping that there is nothing more to worry about now apart from my depression and anxiety issues. I plan to never again consider antidepressants as a treatment and instead try therapy and alternative medicines / treatments instead.

TIP: I have heard that taking 1000mg of Omega 3 fish oil helps with the brain zaps and that Benadryl and Camomile tea is also helpful for the withdrawal symptoms.

To all those still struggling to get off Cymbalta, you will all be in my thoughts and prayers... stay strong and thank you for sharing your stories.

glowinlk is offline New Member

I am weaning from Cymbalta for two reasons: 1) I have developed GI issues and believe Cymbalta plays a role and 2) I have lost my insurance and can't afford to pay for the drug. I let my NP know how I planned to wean, which was 10mg at a time every week and add 10mg of prozac when down to 20mg of cymbalta

I have had no withdrawal symptoms; other than a mild occasional headache, which excedrin took care of.

I am currently on my last week of cymbalta, taking 20mg of cymbalta and 10mg of prozac daily.

I took 50mg of cymbalta for a week, then 40mg, then 30mg, now 20mg plus 10mg of prozac.

I also starting taking a natural, whole food/green food, multi vitamin for women as I began the weaning process and plan to continue with that.

I am undecided as to whether I will continue with a therapuetic dose of prozac long term or not; thinking of going with something natural like 5htp

Cymbalta worked wonders on my depression. I suffered from depression for 15 plus years, including 3 major depressive episodes with suicide attempts, and then dysthimia (sp?). I am worried about the depression returning... time will tell

(I started taking Cymbalta in April 2011, so I was on it for a year and a half, daily dose: 60mg)

I was very worried about withdrawal symptoms from Cymbalta because while on Cymbalta if I was even a few hours late with my dose I could feel it immediately: body aches, fatigue, equilibrium off, muscles weakness, etc. I am thankful for these discussion boards because when it came time to wean from Cymbalta I knew not to listen to the recommended every other day business or every 3 day business or dropping from 60mg to 30mg, which most doctors seem to recommend. My NP mentioned that same plan when I discussed weaning with her. I simply asserted I planned to wean 10mg at a time, weekly, and use prozac to wean off the 20mg. She readily agreed. And so far, so good