Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Codeine Phosphate addiction + withdrawal
    Mungo is offline New Member

Default Codeine Phosphate addiction + withdrawal

Hi all,

If anyone's got any good suggestions to the following then I'd be grateful:

I've been addicted to codeine for about 7/8 years following a few operations where I was prescribed codeine for pain mgt and I have been taking approx 12 - 15 30mg tablets a day. I really really want to get off this drug and I've tried a couple of times but failed. I usually last a few days but then the sweats, shivers and worst of all the restless legs always lead me back to the drugs cabinet. I've tried the tapering off approach but I'm an all or nothing person and tapering off does not and will not work for me.

Has anyone out there managed good old cold turkey and if so how long before the really awful symptoms pass?

Is there anything I can take to help with the withdrawal? I was thinking about taking a few tramadol tablets each day as I've heard that they can help.

Will my GP be able to help and give me anything? I've been a little afraid of approaching the GP and forever being labelled an "addict"!

I really just want to flush all my pills down the toilet and sit it out but I'm chicken!!

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Mungo

anotheraddict is offline Member

I went cold turkey from oxycodone not too long ago. I was up to around 300 mg a day of that by that point at my best guess. While withdrawal symptoms vary for everyone, the worst of my symptoms were over by about halfway through the fourth day. I would not recommend the tramadol route as they are just as dangerous if not more. Many people have ended up addicted to the tramadol tablets themselves even though they are said to be non-addicting.

As far as things to make the symptoms easier to bear, my main thing was immodium. I took immodium and also took benadryl to help with sleeping. Bendaryl is the same medicine that most otc sleep aids use as their active ingredient. If you can get ahold of some sleep meds, many have used them to help. Something like ambien. Also, benzodiazepines used for the first week can help with the anxiety. Again not something you want to get hooked on, but you can try valium, xanax, etc for the first week to make it a little more bearable.

I couldn't get anything from my doc as I had no health insurance at that point. I was on my own, so I toughed it out with the benadryl and the immodium. I had to take more immodium than recommended for the first few days, but that was because the opiates themselves are "anti-diarrheal".

Hope this helps. Really, the main thing is time. Time and posting on this board are what got me through. I will never put myself in that position again, but I know if I had to I could do it again with the help of the people here. There's always someone here to help or listen if you just need to vent. It's not an easy process, but many have gone before you, and many shall surely follow.

Jean
    1 is too many, and 1000 is never enough

Freed from my own personal hell since 03/24/2009

Smile Codeine Phosphate addiction + withdrawal

Hi Jean,

Thanks very much for your support and for the advice. I've bought some supplies (immodium, tissues, green tea, energy drinks and vitamins) and I'm going to plan when's a good time to go through withdrawal (not that there is ever a good time!!!!!!). I'm in the UK so medical insurance isn't a problem so I might go and see the doc for some good old fashioned valium to help with week one then take it from there.

From my attempts to withdraw in the past I remember the worst thing being the restless jittery legs at night and feeling totally exhausted and hollow during the day. If I knew that this would only last a week or 10 days then I could cope but it's the not knowing which is tough. I've read that tramadol can be used to trwat restless leg syndrome so I might take 1 tramadol at night just so I can sleep. I work full time so it's going to be tough. I might take a few days off work and lock myself away for a while!

Another reason for wanting to quit codeine is that I've got a big operation coming up in August and I want the pain meds to be as effective as possible. I've had surgery in the past while I've been taking a lot of codeine and the morphine / dilaudid didn't do its magic (at least not until they gave me at least 10mg. I've had one surgery in the US while living in Chicago and I couldn't stand the stuff. It gave me really bad stomach cramps.

Anyway, I've rambled.

Thanks again,

Mungo

Mungo,

Don't feel bad for rambling, I always seem to ramble when I post here, lol. The symptoms that you mentioned were some of the worst for me as well. I felt like I was literally going insane. I wanted to rip my skin off so I could let my muscles move the way they seemed to want to. I know that sounds bizarre, but it's the only way I can describe the feelings I was having during wtihdrawal.

The physical part was completely over within a week for me. I still struggle with sleeping sometimes over a month out. And the cravings get to me sometimes. But I don't physically crave the opiates anymore. Getting clean is really just the beginning. Staying clean is the really hard part. That's where we all need ongoing support.

If you can get ahold of the valium, I have only heard good things about using it to detox. Only use it for that week, though. You don't want to become dependent on it as benzos are a whole other monster to attempt a detox from. Not that opiates are easy, but those who have done both have said that opiates are no match for benzo detox. They are fine short term. Just don't continue taking them past the detox phase.

If tramadol helps, use it sparingly. It may draw out the withdrawal symptoms, so watch for that, though. There are many people on this board who have become addicted to the tramadol pills themselves. We each have our own DOC (drug of choice), and tramadol never gave me a high. Just beware that these are all possibilities. I don't want to sugar coat anything. I want to present anything that may become an issue to you upfront.

Also, you are exactly right about the operation and the meds not working. It's best to get off of them completely now. That way when the time comes for the operation, the meds will work as well as they should.

I wish you the best of luck with this. We are here to answer any questions you may have and to offer support during this time. Feel free to post away

Jean

Well that's it. It's about 2:30pm my time and I've just flushed all my codeine pills. I feel extremely relieved but also very anxious! I'm going to go to see the doc tomorrow to see if I can get some valium to help me through the week. God, I really want to make it this time!!! I've taken a few pills this morning but what made me flush the rest was that even after 3/4 pills my body is still craving for more and I know that it'll never be satisfied with just a few. It'll always want more and more. So, I'm expecting a very rough week but here goes!

Wish me luck!

Oh, one last question (for now!) - how did you fight or deal with the whole exhaustion thing? Did it effect you? I've heard that taking vitamins and l-tyrosine can help so I think I'll buy some and give it a try.

Mungo

Methastoner is offline New Member

Mungo, I sympathize with your situation and know and have experience with your situation. Here is some advice you may try that will help ease withdrawl.Just don't take valium after 7 days are up. Thus here is the "ovenstone recipe" please note exact dosage with the medications vary person to person.

Day 1: Stay busy or watch tv whatever keeps your mind off of it. Take Advil/ibuprofen 400-600mg at a time if you start to feel aches but try not to start taking those till day 2 if possible. For sleep on night 1 benedryl pills should do the trick if you don't have valium. Oh yea. If you do gt valium try and taper your dose up each day until day 4 and then taper down.

Day 2: I found taking long warm baths were a total relief for me. It wasn't an end all cure but its a nice break. Energy drinks do help but they'll add to the jtters so i recomend taking a valium with a drink. (again i don't recommend valium as a crutch but they do help). Take what can get to get you to sleep.

Take Immodium at higher doses than recomended if needed. Immodium is actually an opiate. Thats why it stops diarhea just like codeine does. Only Immodium doesn't cross the blood brain barrier which gives the good feeling codeine did. Take some advil before bed. If you use a sleep pill to get you to sleep check on the internet to make sure it is o.k. to take with immodium and advil. just be carefull not to overdo it with the over the counter medications.

If there was acetamitophen in your codeine pills taking acetamitophen on its own is recommended on the first few days to ease your body. Acet doesn't cause withdrawl but it can give rebound headaches so popping a tylenol twice a day will help eliminate that possibility.

Day 3: This day your going to probably have the most anxiety and valium will help you out the most along side immodium. I've done the knockout approach where I took enough valium to keep me asleep through most of day 3 as this day seems to be the worst for anxiety. Remember hot baths if your getting hot cold sweats too much. The baths will help ease those down for you. There is a medication called clonidine which is prescribed for codeine withdrawl. If your doctor wont prescribe Valium or any pill in the "Benzodiazepine family" ask for clonidine and take as prescribed. It helps with sweats, the ********s, and the anxiety. If you can get 30 valium/30 clonidine from your doc even better!

If you have no tolerance to valium 1-2 pills should help ease anxiety if not make you sleep. From there you should be able to gauge how many you need to get you to sleep.

Day 4: If your serious about getting of these pain pills get the TIME OFF WORK. LIE TO THEM IF YOU HAVE TO. work will only add to your anxiety. Keep up your immodium and advil as needed. Start to ease up on the valium. Especially if you only got 30. Even chart out your self 5 for day 1, 6 for day 2, 7 for day 3, if day 4 is worse than day 3 take what you need to get by. It would be nice to try and even them out so you have some left after withdrawl is over because i'd rather you take a valium in a time of stress than fall back to codeine.

Day 5: Things should start looking up for you big time if it didn't start a day earlier. Your gonna start thinking "I can really beat this thing" your ******** will actually not be in liquid form without codeine for the first time. You'll start to notice your gettin by without codiene. What ever you do, don't convince yourself "this is easy I got a handle on this, i can take the odd pain pill here and there" this will suck you back in WAY faster than you think. You may get the odd head ache and some anxiety but it will be much less. Thats what advils for.

Day 6: You could probably go back to work with the excuse your getting over a horrible flu. Hell the swine flu is the big thing right now, scare your boss a bit and he'll be glad your not at work. I was lucky enough to have the Norwalk Virus going around the world when I was withdrawling so I used that excuse. My boss said "you stay home as long as you need boy, last thing we need is all of us getting this ********". Life will go on. Your life is more important than 1 week of work. If you can swing 7 dats off try for day 3 and 4 of withdrawl.

Day 7: your still gonna need Immodium for awhile and advil the odd time to treat the odd ache but you've pretty much got it beat. Sleep seems to be the tough one for a lot of people. amitriplene is awesome for sleep when kicking codeine. You may need this for a bit of time after kicking codeine. Hell if you need it every night for even a few months its better than falling back to ******** life. If you can get it for sleep from day 1 that would be awesome. The way it works is it's a mild muscle relaxer, sleeper and also an anti-depressant. all things a guy needs kicking pills.

Each day will get better and better.

So here is a little refresher course before you see the doctor:

Valium is Diazepam. If your doctor offers anything with the last name "pam" or "lam" it's a good thing. Like Alprazolam or Lorazepam. I know a big one in the UK is Temazepam and Oxazepam. These all lay in the Benzodiazepine family. This prescription will be the golden ticket. The more the better. Just make sure there's no repeats because you can get dependant on them in the long term just like codeine only you can die from the withdrawl.

Clonidine for the hot/cold sweats and sleep. These are great but don't eliminate withdrawl completely. and very important to not take too many at a time. they lower your blood pressure. when in withdrawl your blood pressure rises thus the reason this pill works.

ametryplene for sleep. For nights when i had no pain meds and knew i wasn't gonna get sleep, ametryplene would knock me out. It is of great importance to get sleep. It reduces the amount of awake withdrawl time.

Ibuprofen/advil for ANY pain. Joint pain, head aches, back pain.

Immodium: You will need this for the diarhea. It is also an opiate. It is a non addicting opiate like I explained earlier. I found a study that immodium eased the withdrawl to opiate addicted monkeys. So your body may find more than just diahrea relief.

Tums: Calcium will actually make you feel better. Years of codeine use has made your body calcium deficient. Taking some calcium supplements each day will make you feel better adding to your chances of making withdrawl easier.

Energy drinks: alot have L-tyrosine,calcium, several of the vitamin b's, which all help withdrawl. The only down side is caffeine will make you jittery so take it easy with the drinks.

Also one thing to note is if your codeine pills had Acetamitophen take the odd acetamitophen pill. If they contained caffeine I strongly suggest to intake SOME caffeine each day. This will avoid caffeine withdrawl which you don't need to deal with at this time. I recomend taking about 1/5 of the ammount of caffeine you were taking a day (if caffeine were in those codeine pills. caffeine has withdrawl effects and people forget about this and don't take this into account while kicking codeine. NO need for caffeine withdrawl while kicking codeine is there?

Appetite: your going to find your appetite drop dramatically. When this happens force yourself to eat. If you dont your body will weaken making withdrawl worse. Marijauna works great for codeine withdrawl only if you don't use it habitually. It induces appetite and sleep at night. Marijauna isn't a must but a plus. Keep in mind marijauna will make the effects of valium stronger thus using both at night will help your sleep.(recomended for night 2-4)

Thirst: Its very important to get lots of liquids in during day 2-7 as your body will be losing alot of water from diarhea, sweating, tearing, runny nose. Getting those liquids in will keep withdrawl down.

Depression: People often forget about this when giving advice. You may feel depressed on Day 2-5 in varying amounts. I found the valium type drugs helped for that. Just try to keep the valium type drug intake to a minimum of 7 days. If you have any after that keep em for bad days with lots of stress or depression.

Restless Leg Syndrome: Listed on the internet on wikipedia for RLS is valium type drugs. Others are listed but have complications and bad side effects.

Disclaimer: This recipe wasn't compiled my a physician and do make sure to do research on the internet for any drug interactions. carefull taking the valium and clonidine together. It's o.k. to take together but not in high doses. Valium type drugs have withdrawl that can be worse than opiate withdrawl with long term use. Please only take them for 7 days in a row. Take them sporadicaly as needed after that. Say once a week, once a month. Don't take Advil and Aspirin together. That is Ibuprophen and Acetylsalicylic acid. They interact. Avoid Pepto Bismol as it has Acetylsalicylic acid in it.

I don't know if you take any other medications so check to make sure any drug i mentioned doesn't interact with your medication. If a drug i mentioned interacts with a medication you need to take stick with your medication and avoid my specific drug. It's always better to stay on any prescription medication you take daily. Stopping certain medications such as anti-depressants can make you feel like hell on their own.

Good luck to you and I hope you keep in touch with your progress and i'll be around if you have any questions. oh yea as for your doctor thinking your an "addict". Explain to him that you don't mentally crave them but if your body doesn't have codeine you get physical withdrawl. Any doctor knows long term use of opiates causesdepency. He won't label you as an addict. He'll understand. He may even offer to taper you himself. If he understands your situation lay it on the line and request valium, clonidine, and ametrypene.
    Last edited by Methastoner; 05-10-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added important info on question asked about RLS

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Going from codeine to tramadol is just trading one drug for the other since they're roughly the same strength, you need to cut back on the codeine, and then bite the bullet and quit. Codeine is the weakest of all the opioids so there is really no going to something else, that's like overkill, you'll end up with a worse addiction. Cut back a little then quit, in five days you should be back to normal, w/d's should be very mild.

lyaboo is offline New Member

Default codeine

i have been on codiene for nearly a year now and am dreading coming off it.

Firstly,

Huge thanks to Methastoner and Jean for their support and advice. It is appreciated more than I can say.

Day 2 - feeling pretty rough now but I'm still glad I'm starting to sweat this stuff out of my system. The pills are totally totally evil and I'm glad I've found the strength to do something about my addiction. I spoke to my doctor on the phone earlier and she was cool. She's written a script for some valium - 30mg a day for a few days then slowly reducing down over about 7 days. Thank god for a good doctor!! Hopefully the vals will help. I've taken a few days off work so I can do this properly. Hopefully by the weekend I'll be up to going for a walk in the fresh air. I'll keep posting.

Again, thanks for your help. It means a lot.

PS - Immodium is definately a big big help. Obviously it helps with the bowel problems associated with coming off codeine but it also seems to take a little of the edge off the wd's. Magic!

Peace.

Mungo,

Glad that you are making progress! I am also thrilled to hear that you were able to come clean with your doctor. That way, she can offer you the vailum to help with the withdrawals, obviously. But, she can also help you in the future to avoid getting hooked again. Each time we pick up it's like we never quit, and we go right back to the level that we were taking the meds at before we went to all of this trouble. Not in the first few days, but very shortly after. And each time, it gets harder to put them down for good.

You have seen the effects of letting these things take over. Some have said that it is solely a willpower thing. I don't think that it is only willpower. But that does have something to do with it. At least while we are getting the ******** out of our systems. It is so easy to go back and get more ********. Then the past two days would be for nothing. That was what kept me from picking up in the first week or so. I had to remember how much I was suffering to get to that point. I decided that I was not going to allow all of that suffering to have been for nothing. I was going to beat this thing. If I gave in, even for a moment, just one pill, I was back at square one. Some have had withdrawal from one pill taken, some have not. I wasn't going to take that chance. One pill is not worth it right now. I know that you have not mentioned any cravings, but I want to say it anyway.

One pill will most likely cause you to backslide at least as far down as you were a week ago. Possibly even further your descent into addiction. If you would be one of the lucky ones who can manage to stop after one pill, you still will have to suffer through withdrawal from the beginning again to get that pill out of your system. Your body has not "reset" itself yet, so it would see the drugs as filling a need. Then it would expect you to continue filling that need. You cannot take even one. You may think you are strong enough, but you are not. Almost all of us have thought that we were strong enough. It came back to bite us in the ass. As my signature line says, one is too many and 1000 is never enough.

The exhaustion was a big problem for me as well. Luckily I was off work. I don't have any real solutions for that, as it's your body trying to learn how to function without the chemicals. For so long, we supplement our bodies. They forget how to do some of the most basic functions without the aid of those chemicals. In time, they will learn again. The only solution is time unfortunately. Some people have had success with supplements. I did not take any supplements, so I will let others offer their suggestions on that.

Good to hear that you have a few days off of work. It makes it a lot easier to not have to pretend to be normal. I was out of work, and I told my family I had pneumonia with a touch of the flu. My mom had pneumonia when I kicked last, so that worked timing wise, but I had to add the flu for the stomach stuff. Ironically, I did end up with the pneumonia in the end, but I survived.

Keep taking the immodium and the valium. Those are the two main things I hear mentioned. The immodium will take the edge off of the wd's to a point as it has an opiate base. Don't freak out, it's not enough of a dose to impact your progress, but it is there. That's why it is so successful as an AD. The same way that opiates constipate us, the imoodium stops the runs. I thought it was kinda ironic really. Don't worry, you won't get hooked on the immodium...unless of course you are taking way too much of it. Don't abuse it, and you will be ok. Before too long you will be able to get off of it and the valium and actually feel like a normal human being. Although I am still trying to decide what "normal" is, lol.

Keep us posted. It was good to hear from you! I look forward to encouraging you as you continue to make progress. It's my honor to be able to assist someone after all of the help I was given in my time of need. Then it will be your turn to offer the same

Jean

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Hi all,

If anyone's got any good suggestions to the following then I'd be grateful:

I've been addicted to codeine for about 7/8 years following a few operations where I was prescribed codeine for pain mgt and I have been taking approx 12 - 15 30mg tablets a day. I really really want to get off this drug and I've tried a couple of times but failed. I usually last a few days but then the sweats, shivers and worst of all the restless legs always lead me back to the drugs cabinet. I've tried the tapering off approach but I'm an all or nothing person and tapering off does not and will not work for me.

Has anyone out there managed good old cold turkey and if so how long before the really awful symptoms pass?

Is there anything I can take to help with the withdrawal? I was thinking about taking a few tramadol tablets each day as I've heard that they can help.

Will my GP be able to help and give me anything? I've been a little afraid of approaching the GP and forever being labelled an "addict"!

I really just want to flush all my pills down the toilet and sit it out but I'm chicken!!

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Mungo
    Hi mungo
    by day four you going to fell allot better...
    just kick back and let the time pass...do you have a plan for after the withdrawals...like a recovery plan Na or if you go to church...most of them have a freedom recovery plan going now it' a good one...
    hang in there your doing great...
    Melinda

Day 3 - Not as bad as I expected. Making it into work this morning was a real struggle though. I felt very very agitated but it passed once I got going and had a couple of mugs of green tea. One more day at work then I've got a few days off to chill at home. I think tomorrow's going to be pretty hard but I'm staying positive and focussing on the end goal.

Started the valium today. I've taken four so far and have saved two for bedtime. I've had a couple of bad cravings today but I've just tried to do something at work or read to focus on something other than the craving and they pass after 15 minutes or so. The best thing is not having any pills in the house so I know I can't cheat if I get weak at any stage. I've just bought some L-tyrosine for when the tiredness kicks in. A couple of people have suggested it and it can't hurt to try. I'll let you know how it goes.

This might sound corny but I think THE most important thing in all of this is keeping a positive attitude and staying focussed, remembering why you're doing this in the first place and remembering that it's just a drug and you can win the battle if you believe you can.

Oh yeah, another thing I'm doing which helps is meditating. I've downloaded a few guided meditations onto my iPod and they're great. Especially at night when trying to get to sleep as they make you focus on breathing and certain parts of your body which takes your mind off the restless legs and general aches and pains.

Ok - I'm real tired so I'm going to cut this short. Once again, I thank you all very much for all your support and encouragement. It is hugely appreciated. I'll post again tomorrow to say how I'm getting on.

Cheers

Mungo

Day 4 - Not doing too bad. Last night was a bit rough. RLS and generally felt really anxious while trying to go to sleep but after about an hour I drifted off. The good news is that I'm not back at work until Monday so I can chill at home for a few days and knock myself out with valium. I felt really spaced out today as if I'd taken something but I hadn't. I kind fo feel like that all the time at the minute but hopefully as my chemicals balance themselves out I'll start to feel more "normal".

Immodium is definately still helping and drinking lots of green tea is very soothing. Think I 'm going to go play guitar now for an hour or so to take my mind off things.

For once the weather over here is pretty good so I'm going to go for a walk tomorrow to get some exercise and fresh air.

Cheers

Mungo

Hey Mungo,

First let me say I am sorry for not checking in on you yesterday. I had some family issues and was sidetracked when I signed on to here.

You are doing all of the right things. That's why this is so rough. It's not an easy thing to do no matter what we do to try and manage the symptoms. I do really like to see that you are keeping a positive attitude throughout this journey. At least part of it is "mind over matter". I kept telling myself that I am stronger than some stupid little pill, and that I don't need it to live my life. It doesn't make my life any better when I take it, so what's the point in doing it anyway. I kept repeating those same thoughts over and over to myself. Sometimes when I was alone I would actually talk to the pills. Granted, I didn't have any in the house or anything...but I would tell them that they weren't in charge anymore. This is my life and I am taking it back. I would talk to them just like they were a person trying to control my life. It worked for me.

I don't know much about the L-tyrosine or the meditation. I have never been one for meditation, but I am all for anything that helps each person get through. As long as it's not more drugs, that is. I didn't read much about the L-tyrosine until after I was done with detox. When I was detoxing, I had NO money. Nothing at all. So, I couldn't even think about going to get valerian root or anything else to help me. I survived in the end, though I don't want to sound like I am complaining. Just letting you know why I don't have any advice or words of wisdom on those specific subjects.

It's nice that you are off of work, but I want to warn you about a couple of things. Don't try to numb out with the valium the whole time. Believe it or not, you are past the worst of it, and you should start feeling better very soon. Like tomorrow. Also, it's nice to relax, but don't let yourself get too bored. Boredom leads to thoughts of using. If you are busy, you are less likely to even think about picking up those pills. Right now the busier the better even if it's just running to the store. I know you don't feel like doing much. It doesn't have to be running a marathon, just do something. Melinda told me when I was detoxing to walk around the house. Things like that really do make a difference. It gave me something to do, and it helped to burn off some energy. I had way too much energy when it came to trying to sleep at night. That definitely didn't help with the RLS.

Keep up with the Immodium and the green tea. Anything like that that helps you is great. If you find anything else that works, keep doing that too. As simple as it sounds, I have to say it. Just don't use. No matter what you do, don't use. You can do anything else but that, okay?

I am still pulling for you. Thank you for checking in even though I missed you yesterday. Please keep updating me I look forward to hearing about your progress as you make it over this hump.

Jean

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Day 4 - Not doing too bad. Last night was a bit rough. RLS and generally felt really anxious while trying to go to sleep but after about an hour I drifted off. The good news is that I'm not back at work until Monday so I can chill at home for a few days and knock myself out with valium. I felt really spaced out today as if I'd taken something but I hadn't. I kind fo feel like that all the time at the minute but hopefully as my chemicals balance themselves out I'll start to feel more "normal".

Immodium is definately still helping and drinking lots of green tea is very soothing. Think I 'm going to go play guitar now for an hour or so to take my mind off things.

For once the weather over here is pretty good so I'm going to go for a walk tomorrow to get some exercise and fresh air.

Cheers

Mungo
    If you can get through the weekend which I know you can you got it beat, each day gets better and better, If anyone notices anything wrong just cite family issues and dont want to talk about it. Each day will be easier than the last. Ofcourse you'll have moments of weakness, I suggest having an energy drink available. by then energy drinks should be o.k. for you. It will give you a psychosomatic effect that will get your mind off the bad stuff. good luck.

Mungo,

Buddy, it's been a few days! I am getting slightly concerned. Excuse me if my concerns are unfounded, but I worry when someone detoxing disappears suddenly. Please check in so I know you are okay. If you did pick up, don't be ashamed. We can get through it. I just want to know where you are at. Let me know, okay?

Jean

Mungo,

I hope to hear from you soon! No matter if you had a run of bad luck or if your still on the right track. Just so we know. I'd also like to know what helped you the most and what didn't help you or made things worse. If you did relapse don't be hard on yourself you can still do it. Were not here to force you to do anything. It's when your ready. All the best to you.

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while but I've spent a week in hospital with an abcess (a fairly regular complication of my crohn's which will hopefully be made a bit better after my operation in August). Anyway, I'm still off the pills. Bad news is that I had a lot of morphine while in hospital which has given me cravings for codeine again. Truth is though I'm so bored of all this **** now that I just block them out. I'm pretty tired and feel like I have a cold but I think that's cos I was getting a lot of morphine for 3 days then it's suddenly stopped so my body probably hasn't got a clue what is going on right now. I'm now sat in front of the screen with a big G&T which will hopefully chill me out a little so I can relax and watch some TV or something.

I'll keep posting but I'm definately off the pills for good now. I kind off want them every now and then but then I tell myself that I wasn't "me" while I was on them. Sure they were a great way to pick my mood up and help me get through certain situations but I'll learn how to do all that stuff again. Plus I'll be able to do normal stuff like go out for a few beers with friends which I haven't been able to do due to all the pills I was taking.

Cheers,

Mungo

Mungo,

It's so great to know that you are still out there and still pushing to make it through. I was hoping you had a nice reason to be away...so sorry to hear about the hospital stay and the morphine. Sometimes we have to surrender and get the meds for our well-being. That is something I still struggle with on a daily basis. Sometimes I have to take the meds, but now I ask myself each time why I am taking them. If the answer is not for physical pain and only physical pain, then I will not give in.

The cravings still come sometimes for me. I have convinced myself that I am stronger than they are, though. I refuse to lay down and let these drugs take away my life. It makes me so proud that you made it through the hospital stay and returning home without falling back down the slippery slope. It is very slippery, indeed. And one pill is enough to wake the monster again.

Please be safe. I am here if you need anything.

Jean

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your message. I feel like absolute death warmed up at the minute. I'm going back to hospital tomorrow because I still think I've got some of the bugs floating around in my system. I'm also struggling to totally stop taking tramadol which I was using to take the edge off the codeine withdrawal. I'm still off the codeine but I'm taking about 4-6 tramadol a day. They don't give you the high that codeine does and I hate having to take them but at the minute they just about keep the worst of the wd's away. I took 6 yesterday and today looks like I'm going to take 4 so at least I'm reducing. Hopefully speaking to the doctor tomorrow will help. I know they've probably seen this problem a lot so they should be able to help. I'm at the lowest point mentally I've been for years. Absolute rock bottom. I feel as though my emotions are totally raw and it's as if I'm always on the verge of breaking down and crying. Anyway, fingers crossed that tomorrow is a bit brighter.

Thanks again for your support.

Cheers

Mungo

Mungo,

I am sorry to hear that things are not going well for you...Did you get back to the hospital to get checked out? If you don't answer right away, I will guess you did, and they kidnapped you! J/k

I am very proud to hear that in spite of how bad you are feeling you are still tapering the tramadol. From what I understand tramadol can be pretty bad to come off of because not only are there the usual symptoms of w/d, but tramadol also works as an SSRI (anti-depressant). I don't know if you have done any reading about tram, so I wanted to warn you. Your moods will likely be affected more so than they were coming off of the codeine.

As for your emotions, that's totally normal, too. I would cry at commercials, moments on tv shows, anything really. We have spent so long numbing our minds and bodies that it's a shock to the system to "feel" again. I found that allowing myself to cry when I was home alone and got that feeling actually made me feel better. Yea, I know I am a girl and all, but crying never hurt anyone.

I hope that you are still improving. Also know that my thoughts are with you hoping they can get this stuff straightened out with you physically. It's hard enough coming off of drugs without added physical problems and stress. I know you don't feel like it yet, but you have really come a long way! You've suffered a setback, but you didn't allow yourself to fall back into the abyss of the pills. That says a lot about you as far as I am concerned. Now you will just have to stay vigilant. When we become complacent, then we allow ourselves to become vulnerable to those old demons again.

You remain in my thoughts daily. Keep up the good work! You are gonna make it, I can feel it

Jean

MARLEY123 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by anotheraddict View Post
    i went cold turkey from oxycodone not too long ago. I was up to around 300 mg a day of that by that point at my best guess. While withdrawal symptoms vary for everyone, the worst of my symptoms were over by about halfway through the fourth day. I would not recommend the tramadol route as they are just as dangerous if not more. Many people have ended up addicted to the tramadol tablets themselves even though they are said to be non-addicting.

As far as things to make the symptoms easier to bear, my main thing was immodium. I took immodium and also took benadryl to help with sleeping. Bendaryl is the same medicine that most otc sleep aids use as their active ingredient. If you can get ahold of some sleep meds, many have used them to help. Something like ambien. Also, benzodiazepines used for the first week can help with the anxiety. Again not something you want to get hooked on, but you can try valium, xanax, etc for the first week to make it a little more bearable.

I couldn't get anything from my doc as i had no health insurance at that point. I was on my own, so i toughed it out with the benadryl and the immodium. I had to take more immodium than recommended for the first few days, but that was because the opiates themselves are "anti-diarrheal".

Hope this helps. Really, the main thing is time. Time and posting on this board are what got me through. I will never put myself in that position again, but i know if i had to i could do it again with the help of the people here. There's always someone here to help or listen if you just need to vent. It's not an easy process, but many have gone before you, and many shall surely follow.

Jean
    congats on getting clean i am on day 3 and just came back to work i am just fighting it out waiting to completely feel better its hard but i know we can all do it from taking 15 to 20 a day to nothing the withdrawls kicked my butt but day 3 i am here still feeling alittle bit yucky but getting through it

Atomic is offline New Member

I wanted to thank all of the advice in this thread, it really spurred me on to kick my codeine addiction. I've been clean now for 12 days after a 5 year+ addiction.

I took a week off work and told people I had a 'gastro bug' and that stopped any questions and pretty much kept people away as they didn't want to catch it lol.

The first four days were awful, I pretty much spent 24/7 curled around the toilet bowl, but never waivered.

Most symptoms are gone now and my head is the clearest it's been in years. But I get pretty emotional too - which I half expected after numbing myself into oblivion for so long. The worst things for me to cope with at the moment (which are SO worth it) are continual sneezing, still have bouts of diarrhea, and insomnia. I can now fall asleep ok, but tend to wake up an hour or two earlier than I should. I figure it's a small price to pay and it will settle in time.

So I wanted to keep encouraging anybody else who is trying this, or thinking about it.

The liberation from always having to have a supply, from roving all over the place to get that supply, the waste of time and money.....it's WORTH a week of discomfort! I have my life back.

Peace,
    Atomic

spudgun is offline New Member

Angry Lets Go!

Hi All,

I have been addicted to nurofen plus for 3 years and have decided to stop taking the these evil pills as they are running my life!

I spent 4 days in hospital (acute renal failure), luckily it was reversible and was resolved within a day.

I would welcome any tips to make the withdrawal easier. I have tried several times to go C/T but relapsed, hopefully this will be the last time.

All the best,

Spudgun

kenley67 is offline New Member

OMG!!!!!

please take my advice do not try tramadol they are far worst than codine, just today i have been to my gp asking for a way to come off tramadol, they ruin your life!!
    my gp gave me codine and said they are from the same family as tramadol but they are not so strong, after reading your tread i feel very concerned , i dont think i,m ever gonna be drug free and although i,m in pain with my back, i would rather be in pain than to go through the side affects of withdrawal that tramadol cause, i dont get any sleep i,m twitchy all night and tossing and turning,nights sweats , but felling really cold,flu like symtoms , my legs feel heavy and really ache and it feels like my bones hurt!

Googs is offline New Member

Default Codeine addiction

I was addicted to nurofen plus for 2yrs... I confessed my addiction to my gp who has put me on to codeine phosphate and reduces my prescription weekly, I have to collect my prescription daily from the pharmacy as I am not trusted with whole amount at once as I use it all before the week is out and end up buying n+. I am thinking of going cold turkey as I dont think I could reduce any more... Any advice/help would be welcomed.

Thanks

cash04law08 is offline New Member

I'm on my 6th day so far,down from taking 16/20 30mg to 2 8mg,i cold turkey'd for the first 3 days having nothing then gave in and had 2 8mg's but i suppose i was lucky cause i had stomach flu for the first 3 day's,the pain was horrific,even now the restless legs and sweat's are pushing me to get my prescription which i will be able to collect tmrw (70 30mg) but i've gotta say the worst thing is the blinding headache's,i've put a question up and somebody told me i just have to fight it another week or 2 cutting down to just 1 8mg next week. My advice to you is cold turkey hun,it's not easy and it's not pretty but just put at least 3 day's aside to lay in your writhering in agony
    Last edited by cash04law08; 04-09-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Didn't realise they were nearly dry

Quote Originally Posted by cash04law08 View Post
    I'm on my 6th day so far,down from taking 16/20 30mg to 2 8mg,i cold turkey'd for the first 3 days having nothing then gave in and had 2 8mg's but i suppose i was lucky cause i had stomach flu for the first 3 day's,the pain was horrific,even now the restless legs and sweat's are pushing me to get my prescription which i will be able to collect tmrw (70 30mg) but i've gotta say the worst thing is the blinding headache's,i've put a question up and somebody told me i just have to fight it another week or 2 cutting down to just 1 8mg next week. My advice to you is cold turkey hun,it's not easy and it's not pretty but just put at least 3 day's aside to lay in your writhering in agony
    ....i'm now on day 7 and the blinding headaches are gone, so i've dropped another 8mg so i'm just on the 1 8mg,i feel like i have flu and my bones kill,i'm sweating and i can't go out and be away from the loo,starting to see the end of the tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by Googs View Post
    I was addicted to nurofen plus for 2yrs... I confessed my addiction to my gp who has put me on to codeine phosphate and reduces my prescription weekly, I have to collect my prescription daily from the pharmacy as I am not trusted with whole amount at once as I use it all before the week is out and end up buying n+. I am thinking of going cold turkey as I dont think I could reduce any more... Any advice/help would be welcomed.

Thanks
    I'm on my 7th day of cutting down and starting to feel a little more human,i was taking 16/20 30mg codeine phosphate for 3 years. The first 3 day's i cold turkey'd they were the worst day's of my life i was in agony,sick,the run's,blinding headache's shortness of breath.you name it,i had it but after 3 day's i went on to 2 8mg for 4 day's,it hasn't been easy but everyday SOMETHINGS got's better,today my 7th day i actually woke up WITHOUT a headache,omg i could of cried,so i decided to take the next step and drop 1 8mg,i don't know what will happen now but all i think about is having to do them 3 day's of cold turkey again and that stops me. I'm only taking 8mg of codeine phosphate,

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by cash04law08 View Post
    I'm on my 7th day of cutting down and starting to feel a little more human,i was taking 16/20 30mg codeine phosphate for 3 years. The first 3 day's i cold turkey'd they were the worst day's of my life i was in agony,sick,the run's,blinding headache's shortness of breath.you name it,i had it but after 3 day's i went on to 2 8mg for 4 day's,it hasn't been easy but everyday SOMETHINGS got's better,today my 7th day i actually woke up WITHOUT a headache,omg i could of cried,so i decided to take the next step and drop 1 8mg,i don't know what will happen now but all i think about is having to do them 3 day's of cold turkey again and that stops me. I'm only taking 8mg of codeine phosphate,

I would do a slow taper and incorporate the Thomas Recipe. You said yourself that this has been going on for 17 years! Common sense tells you that it isn't going to be over in a week. Take your time and make this as easy on yourself as possible. Here is a link to the Thomas Recipe. If you follow this protocol while doing a slow taper you can be clean in a reasonable amount of time without suffering badly. Hope this helps. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast