Chronic Pain and cant take no more.
    GTKSmoke is offline New Member

Default Chronic Pain and cant take no more.

Hello I am just to the end of my rope.. I have been having chronic and very severe back pain for the last 2 years but over the last 6 months the pain has been getting so severe that when I walk my right leg will just collapse. My Dr is as I believe doing the best he can to control my pain.. I am taking MS Contin 100Mg twice a day and also taking MSIR 15Mg once every 4 hours as needed for the breakthrough pain.. I am walking with a cane to help keep me from falling.. I have had numerous MRI's done and have had a Milogram done but they have not really found out what would be causing the severe pain I am having.. They have seen some nerve problems associated with my right leg but it is my back that is killing me.... I am really scared of all these Narcotics that I am on but what am I to do? I just cannot take this pain anymore I am 42 years old and have a wonderful wife who thank god is working 40 hours a week... I have NO Income coming in and just dont think I could get disability if they cant find out what is causing this pain.. My Dr the other day even talked about surgicly implanting a pain pump but like he said we still havent found the right combination of narcotics to even control the pain I am in ... I am so tired as I only average 2 hours sleep a night any more and to the point I guess of just giving up... I am sorry to ramble on here but I need some thoughts from anyone who has or know someone who has been in my position as I need to hear about ANYTHING that may help me...
    Thank you and I hope someone will PLEASE respond to my cry for help..

Thanks,
    Kenny

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

I can sympathize with you Ken.Back and leg pain can be debilitating to say the least.My back problems started 25 years ago when I was just 18.Don't worry about the narcotics,your taking them because your in pain and not because your trying to get high.The percentage of people that become addicted from opiated abuse is actually quite low but because it is such a devastating condition you tend to hear all the bad.You really should look into applying for some sort of disability.I'm in Ontario Canada so I'm not familiar with your disability plans down there (I'm assuming your in the states).I should also point out that 100mg twice a day isn't a large dose for someone suffering from chronic pain,you may want to try and up your dose.Ms contin can be taken 3 times a day and by the sounds of your post the your pain is not under control.That's the biggest thing,to get the pain under control and then maintaining it.I have taken all of the usual pain killers.For the first 21-22 years I was on at different times propoxyphene,demerol,oxycontin,dilaaudid,fentanyl( patch) and morphine.I unfortunetly abused all of them right from the beginning which made it very difficult to manage my pain.Almost 4 years ago I went to a pain doct6or who specialized in addiction/chronic pain.He put me on methadone and after about a year I found the right dose and stabilized.My pain is now under control and I'm not actively abusing.Enough about me,your first priority is to get that pain under control.Also remember that your going to have to live with some pain,you would be to doped up to have your pain taken all away.The goal you want to reach is to have a quality of life as close to the quality you had before the pain.Tell your doctor that your quality of life is shet and that your pain is not being controlled.It can take time so be patient and learn as much as you can about the drugs your taking and the pain that you have.Good luck and let us know how you make out.There is no reason for you to live with this kind of pain.....Dave

Hi Dave, Thank you very much for the response...My Dr was planning on putting me on more MS contin than the 100Mg twice per day but he had taken some blood to check the Morphine levels in my blood stream and either the lab got the blood mixed or the pharmacy didnt give me the right script because NO morphine showed up lol and at that time I was taking 60Mg 3 times per day... But he took 2 viles this time and told me if none showed up this time he was gonna take it and have it tested in the crime lab for he is also a coroner and said he would even pay for it lol... I have to go back to him the 14th of this month and he is going to adjust the MS Contin then...I Was awake all night last night because I was hurting so bad. The 15Mg quick release morphine seems to help for a while but in 2 hours I was back in the same pain... I Beleive that my Dr really cares and is trying butI am afraid to really tell him that the Meds are not controlling the pain for fear of him just labeling me as a drug addict like my regular Dr did.. My regular Dr told me that I was just a drug addict and I fired him... I wish he could have the pain I am in for 1 day. I will be walking along and just fall down as my right leg will just collapse from the pain. Last week my wife had to call an ambulance because I fell and could not get back up as the pain was so severe. I even fell while I was in the hospital but they cannot seem to find out why I am having such pain..They have found some nerve damage in my leg and 2 herniated disks but the disks are smaller disks and they do not feel that is what is causing the pain..I live in Illinois USA the southern part and there is not many resources here for pain..I am trying to sign up for disability and my pain management Dr has told me his feelings was that this was a permanent condition and maybe wants to put a pain pump in me once they find the right combination of narcotics that work... I know I will never be pain free but I would love to just walk with my 4 kids and not be in as much pain as I am in now even while typing this my back is just killing me.. Anyways I thank you for responding and I will be visitin here more now that I have found these forums...

Thx,
    Kenny

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

HI Kenny. I wish I had read this one sooner, you sound like you are suffering some of the same things I do.

My basic problem started with a severe from of Scoliosis that was treated improperly when I was a child, and of course as an adult, after years of working, house cleaning, having a baby and etc. Things have just gottem worse, and I have added a degenerative disc disease in the lower lumbar, discs that herniate if I breathe some days, and a pinched sciatic nerve.

Anyway, the reason I was bringing this up, is I suffer many problems similar to yours, right down to my leg giving out sometimes, though mine is on the left, and using a cane when I leave the house for any length of time to try and take some of the pressure off, as well as preventing falls. However, all of this can be caused, like mine is, from the sciatic nerve root impingement.

My docs couldn't figure out what it was either, and even taking Morphine everyday like you do, with an OXY IR for breakthrough pain, I am never pain free. Then one day, my husband decided to try and see if he could figure out the problem, so he began to feel around various areas of my back and asked me to tell him when it hurt or caused any numbness, once he found a certain spot, he was able to follow it down my whole back, into my right hip, buttock and leg. So when I went to my next docs appointment, I told her, and she did the same thing, and said that is where your sciatic nerve is, so sometimes even though the pain seems to be in your legs or lower back, it can be caused by the sciatic nerve which is higher up.

Anyway, I would suggest trying that, have your wife start pressing gently on either side of your spin, starting from just below the shoulder blades and then working down, if it is your sciatic nerve, you will feel it, even if she is just doing it gently. Then she can stay on track in that area and follow it down to your leg. In your case, since it is your right leg, I am guessing you will find the impinged part to be on your right side, mine is on my left in agreement with where the worst of my pain can be traced.

Then, if this shows you what is hurting, you can tell your doctor and they can also palpate the nerve and confirm the findings.

Unlike my case, where I can't do physical therapy because what they can do for a person with a normal shaped spine to release that impingement and help take the pressure off, if you don't have scolios, they should be able to do some therapy and help ease the pain. There may be some permanent damage, so you will more than likely always have some pain, but by tracing the problem and knowing what it wrong, they will know what to do to help ease it for you as much as possible. The therapists are trained to manipulate the discs with exercise and etc. to release that nerve, in my case, with scoliosis, they can't do it, because what could help a normal person could be dangerous and just put my spine further out of place.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Hello zippysgoddess
    Thank you very much for your response...I had my wife rub my back tonight and she noticed something I or she has never seen before.. My lower back about 4 inches above my tailbone there was a knot sticking up tonight and she also said that it looked as is my spine was way out of allignment like there was a curve in it...All I know is that I have been awake for 28 hours now without any sleep for I just cannot get comfotable. The Morphine had been helping but tonight I cannot tell I have taken anything stronger than a baby aspirin..I am just so tired and depressed that I feel ashamed because I am a 42 year old man thats 6'4" and 200lbs that spent most of the day crying like a baby.. I really appreciate everyones responses as I am just to the end of my rope and can't take much more of this...
    Thx,
    Kenny

Can you get to your local emergencey room and have them evaluate you.I wouldn't be surprised if that was a muscle in spasm she see's.Lower back spasms can bring you to your knees, I know I've had them that bad before.You definately can't go on like this, you need to see either an emerg room doctor or better yet get in to see your regular doctor and tell them you need to see him today it's an emergencey.Good luck and try and get the ms contin raised to 100mgs tid.....Dave

Hi and Thx for responding....I think my Dr will have no problem making my MS Contin 100Mg TID, Right now I am BID but he wanted to raise it last week but they did a blood test to see how much morephine I had in my system and it showed up at 0.... He thinks the lab got the blood mixed... Scary isnt it....But he took some more and I go back to him this friday and he said he will adjust the pain meds thn...I Had a very VERY rough night as I had been up for 37 hours and I finally fell asleep for 2 hours but as you can imagine my eyes are not focussed at ALL this morning..No one should EVER have to put up with the pain I and thousands of others are having to endure... My Dr tells me to tell him if the meds are not working but Iam truly scared to really say anything for the fear of having a label put on me as a User instead of someone who needs to have the morphine.. It seems to be a Winless situation but I have to say something because I cannot even function with the pain and no sleep.. I even took an Ambien Cr 12.5Mg but it had NO effect on me...Well it is rainy here in Southern Illinois today and my 7 and 9 year old bys are hungry so I better get to the kitchen and cook them up some breakfast.. Thanks to everyone...
    Cya,
    Kenny

honeypie129 is offline New Member

Hi:

I can't help but wonder why nothing showed up on your MRIs. It sounds like you have a problem in your spine. Did your doctor tell you you have any herniated discs or anything like that?

You're taking some heavy duty drugs that don't seem to be working. I have suffered with chronic pain for the past 10 years that started slowly, and has progressed to the point where I need the meds every day. I was diagnosed with scoliosis, herniated discs (lumbar and cervical) degenerative disc disease, arthritis in my spine,bursitis in my right shoulder, and Lordosis, which is an exaggerated curve in the end of the spine.I also have nerve damage which has resulted in an extreme sensitivity to touch.

I know each person is different, but I found that what works best for me is Darvocet. This is my regimine: Darvocet, 4x per day; Ultram ER, 100mg at night; Lyrica, 100mg at night, Remeron, 45mg at night; Klonopin, .5mg 3x per day; Effexor XR, 225mg once per day. As you can imagine, I suffer from depression as well. I have found that taking the bulk of the meds at night helps me sleep.

I feel for you. I know what it's like to be in constant pain. Talk to your doctor, and see if he or she can't give you something to help you sleep.
    Good luck!
    honeypie129

Hello honeypie129
    Thank you for responding... My MRI's did show 2 herniated disks but they were small and do mot think that is the cause of all the pain..Also I have degenerative disk desease and some pinched nerves..I am going to see a nuerologist in 5 weeks... Yea I know 5 long weeks...I have only slept I think at the most 2 hours per night or every other night.. My Dr. had given me some samples of Ambien CR 12.5Mg but they did not help me sleep at all...Today the pain is SO bad I canot hardly walk it takes me 3-5 minutes to get up from my computer and walk 30 feet to the bathroom. I am so afraid of falling again and I know I will because today my right leg is like my brain is telling it to move but it does not want to cooperate..I feel for your depression as I have noticed myself over the last few weeks feeling just like I do not want to live no more..I just cannot take all this pain much longer but I have 4 kids and a beautiful wife that when I see them I tend to try to cope with it more. My kids are everything to me and my wife is just the most and I mean the MOST helpful person in this world. I havent worked or had any income for a year now and she works 40 hours a week or more when she can and I just feel plain GUILTY that I cannot provide for my family. Like i've said before I am just to the end of my rope and the noose is getting tighter lol..I apologize for venting how I feel but I really can't talk to no one except here and it does help me to do this. Last night was a very long night. I cant sleep in my bed with my wife because I cannot lay flat so I try to sleep in my recliner and it is very uncomfortable. I sleep for a bit then wake up for a long time every night and so on and so on.. I want to thank everyone here because I have had nothing but kindness from everyone here and I really thank everyone and I am praying for everyone here that we all may get some relief someday soon...
    Thank You,
    Kenny

Hi Ken: Two herniated disc with compressed nerves can most certainly cause the symptoms and pain that you have.Have you tried to put a couple of pillows on top of each other and then lay down on your stomach with the pillows at your hips and tummy.Sometimes this will spread the vertibrae far enough apart so that the pressure comes off the nerves.Kinda like a home made traction.I used to do this when I would get like you.Also have you tried lying in the fetal position with a pillow between your legs and then pillows supporting behind your back and in front of your stomach more or less trapping yourself with pillows.I know it sounds crazy but when your in that kind of pain you will try anything.One other thing????Are you taking a anti-inflamatory?????...Good luck and give those a try if you haven't already......Dave

Hi Dave,
    No I havent tried any of that but I am willingo to try just about ANYTHING!!!!And I will try the pillows tonight... I am also taking Flexerril 25Mg and Ibuprofen 800Mg but the Ibuprofen is really tearing my stomach up.. About 3:30AM this morning I was sick to my stomach and threw up but I saw blood in it and now I am really scared cause that is just what I need an ulcer or something like that.. I did get about 3 hours sleep last night but I think that I am just SO worn out my body is telling me to shut down but I wake up sooner or later from the pain and then can't go back to sleep..I want to say Thank You to everyone here because I have just joined here and everyone is so nice and trying to help everyone that I feel like I am talking to family.. It is really awesome that people can and will come here to try to seek relief or to just Vent their feelings and believe me I have needed to vent for a LONG TIME!!! I go back to the Dr friday. I had an EEG done on monday and they will have the results to tell me then... I am alo scheduled for another MRI next tuesday.. I am going to ask my Dr if I can go up to 100Mg of MS Contin 3 times a day. I am taking 100Mg X 2 times a day now. Plus I am on MSIR which is a quick release Morhine 15Mg and that does seem to help for about 2 hours but then I hurt for the other 2 hours before I can take another..Truthfully the other day I myself and I probably should not of done it but I took my MS Contin 100Mg 3 times that day and I tell you what I felt better than I have felt in 4 months. I still had pain but it was actually bearable. But I am also afraid to tell my Dr that I did that for fear of him thinking that I am not taking the med's the way they was prescribed but I only did that 1 time and didnt do it again because I knew I would run out of pain med's early if I kept doing that. Anyways I thank you Dave for the advice and I truly appreciate what everyone here does for everyone and I have been looking the forum's over for someone who I might be able to maybe help sometime because I know what it is like to feel all alone with PAIN!!!
    Thank You,
    Kenny

Hi Kenny: If I were you I would stop taking all of the anti-inflamitory's your taking.They are known to cause stomach bleeding.Tell your doctor that you brought up blood.Actually this should work in your favour because it rules out taking any nsaids and that means he's going to have to up your ms contin.I would also tell him you tried the ms contin tid and it proved to be more than successful.Remember to that you only did this for one day.Once you start taking the ms contin on a regular tid then your pain will/should come under control.This is also a good time for you to make mental notes about what your eating and how your posture is ect.

As far as using the pillows,I have used them to get into some pretty weird positions.Do whatever it takes to get some relief.I really think that once you get the ms contin upped to TID your pain will be much easier to manage.Hopefully the MRI will show more this time.Do you know wether your having contrast injected for the MRI???
    I went for years after surgery thinking that they didn't fix the herniation of my disc in L4-5 but after I had an MRI it show that there was alot of things going on.
    I had spinal stenosis,arachnoiditis and lots of fibrosis(scar tissue).That really sealed the deal for me as far as any chance of ever getting better.
    They sent me to a pain specialist and this guy was great.He said all we can do for you is try and make you comfortable and give you some quality of life.
    So my doctor has a letter from the pain clinic stating that I should be treated with ms contin or stronger whichever proves to works best then use it.This was what my doctor needed to cover his ass and now he has no problem writing a prescription fot opiates.Good luck and let us know how the test's and doc appointment goes.Remember to be honest and tell him exactly how you feel.....Dave

Hi Dave,
    Wanted to let you know that I did find SOME relief by putting a pillow between my legs when I laid on my left side and I actually slept for 4 1/2 hours straight.. I know that doesnt sound like a lit but in the last 4 months I was 2 hours tops.... They are doing a Contrast and also without contrast on this MRI I am getting.. I am going to talk to my Dr tommorrow and let him know that I did for 1 day try the MS Contin TID and it really seemed to help.. Today I was walking in my house and I do use a cane to walk with for some support but I had a really sharp pain go through my back and once again my right leg collapsed and I fell and now I have a cut above my right eye from where my head hit an end table... Of course I have a black eye also lol...I hope he will go along with raising the MS Contin or try something different maybe but I have NO clue what would even be stronger than that drug...Around here youget treated like a criminal when you walk into the pharmacy to pick up a script like this... 1 time they even called the law because they didnt believe that my Dr would write a script for 90 60MG MS Contin.. I was never SO MAD in my LIFE!!! After the police got there they called my Dr and he was just blocks away and came there and totally gave them HELL!!! Then he even took my wife and me out for dinner lolol....He is a real good guy and I really like him and trust him a lot.. He has always told me just to be honest with him and if the drug was not helping to tell him so he could getme something that would.. I go to him tommorrow night at 7pm and I will update you when I get home. I REALLY appreciate you always reading my posts and answering them.. I Don't know if you realize that there have been days that you have kept me sane....I thank you for that and I Will keep you posted......
    Thx,
    Kenny

Hello it is 10:37 at night and I am just feeling awful.. Pain is very intense tonight and so bad I cant even go to the bathroom... Went to the Dr last night and he wanted to make my 100Mg of MS Contin 3 times per day instead of 2. But last week he took blood again to check the morphine levels in my blood and for the 2nd time the Lab says my morphine level is 0 ... I am so mad and he was also that he had to take more blood last night and resend to the lab but he is also sending a sample to his coroners lab because he is the coroner and can do that but he is having to pay for that out of his OWN pocket but like he said he dont mind but he cannot give me more MS Contin untill he finds out what my levels are because he doesnt want me to overdose which is totally understandable lol... But what am I to do till then because I will not find out for another week and I am hurting so bad I cant take it no more... Anyways I just had to come here and vent some steam..

Thx,

Kenny

It is 10:10 AM and once again I have been awake all night because I am in so much pain... I just cant take it and do not know what to do.. The MS Contin 100Mg just hasnt worked the last 2 days and I take 100Mg twice a day and also MSIR 15Mg quickrelease Morphine I can take 1 every 4 hours as needed and needless to say I need it but the last 2 days nothing has worked. I fell yesterday because my leg just collapsed and I am afraid I am going to hurt something else because I fall so much anymore... Anyone have any suggestions for me? I am sorry if it seems like I am here a lot but I do not have no where else to turn to..I even took a Ambien CR 12.5Mg last night and it did not even effect me at all.. This lack of sleep is killing me... If ANYONE has any suggestions PLEASE let me know... I am now desperate....
    Thx,
    Kenny

You need to get in and see your doctor right away and tell him just what your telling us.Tell him your desperate and can't go on like this.I have had pain like your describing and I so can feel for you and I know how helpless you feel.Your doctor really needs to raise your dose or change you to a stronger opiate.The other thing you could do is go down to the emergencey dept and take your meds with you and again tell them what you've told us here.I can't believe that someone there won't at least give you a shot and put you out for a few hours.If you coulld get some sleep it would help take some of the fatigue away that your feeling and also help you deal with the pain.....Dave

You are right Dave but for me to go to My DR it is a 136 mile round trip.. Where I live there is a what I call a bandaid hospital here but I would be lucky to get a shot of toradol there.. I fell 2 weeks ago and couldnt move my legs my wife called the ambulance and I begged them to take me to Mt. Vernon Illinois which is where my Dr is but they said they had to stop at the local hospital.. They gave me a X-ray and said go home then my wife took me out to the car in a wheelchair and drove me to Mt. Vernon where when they saw me they admitted me for 4 days... I know you are right I go anymore 2-3 days with hardly no sleep and it is killing me...Anyways I thank you for the responses..
    Kenny

Well it is 3:10AM I did lay down about 8pm last night but didnt get to sleep and got back up at 9:30 around midnight I think I fell to sleep FINALLY but at 2:30am the pain got intense again and woke me up.. I am going to call my Dr today right when his office opens and tell them that something HAS to be done because Fatigue if nothing else is killing me. If I dont get any sleep soon I just feel like I am going to lose my mind because 2 hours sleep in 2-3 days is just awful.. I want everyone here to know that I am really sincere by saying thank you to all for the responses I have been getting and they have and still are truly helping me... Hopefully I can one day be able to just come here and say Hi and say that wow the pain is comfortable enough I can almost live with it but at this moment I cannot live like this.. I am a 42 year old man that feels like a baby crying his eyes out but I just dont know what to do anymore.. My wife wanted to take me to the E.R. to see if they could give me something to help out but she has to work at 6am and I don't want to drag her out of bed. She is such a great woman to me and our kids but she needs sleep also.. I havent even been able to sleep in bed because I have been so uncomfortable the last 4 months that all I do is keep her awake so I sleep in a recliner.. I cannot wait till 9am because I am to the point now that I have to call my Dr and get some kind of relief. My right leg won't hardly move and when I do move it the pain in my back is SO horriffic I almost scream. The last 2 days I have noticed a lot of pain in my right hip and that is actually new to me.. I have had bad pain in my back and in my right leg but never pain like this in my hip. The last time I was at the Dr they was talking about putting in a pain pump and even though I am scared to death to have 1 of them I think I am ready to have it.. I have so many bad things about a pain pump like infections or they break and have to go back in a put another in.. I Don't need any more pain I cant live with what I have now... Anyways I will shutup as I know I must be driving everyone here Nut's with my complaining but I have no where else to turn but to forums to try to talk to a few people for advice.. I Sincerly Thank Everyone who has responded...
    Thank You,
    Kenny

I agree with the pain pump Ken.If anyone met the qualifications for a pain pump it would be you.Tell your doctor your at his mercy and you'll do whatever it takes.You could even tell him that suicide has crossed your mind if you don't seem to be getting anywere with him.Let us know how you make out.Don't take any shet from the doctors,you've paid your dues with pain and it's time they started listening.....Dave

My Dr. Is now trying to find a good Dr that he trusts in this area to go ahead with the pain pump... He wouldnt up my MS Contin to 100Mg 3 times a day because of my falling and he thinks that the Morphine could be the cause of that.. My Morphine level in my blood was 57 whatever that means... All I know is that I told him that something had to be done and I didn't want to offend him in no way because he has been the ONLY Dr around here to even listen to me.. Does anyone know what type of Dr it takes to put a pain pump in? Nuerosurgeon or what? I am clueless and scared but if it will get me some relief then get that thing in me yesterday.......

Justmee is offline New Member

Hello Kenny.

Neurosurgeons and doctors who specialize in pain management and spine disorders implant pain pumps.

The procedure is performed in two stages: Stage 1 is a trial and Stage 2 is implantation of the permanent device.

Stage 1. Trial
    Before you can have surgery, you must undergo a ¡°trial run¡± to see if the device decreases your level of pain. Depending on your particular condition, one of the following screening tests will be necessary.

Single injection: you will receive one injection of intrathecal medicine (morphine or baclofen) via a lumbar puncture.

Multiple injections: you are given multiple injections over a series of days by either a lumbar puncture or catheter.

Continuous trial: a catheter is placed in the correct area of your spine and connected to an external pump. The dose is increased every 2 hours until you notice pain relief.
    Stage 2. Permanent implantation
    During the trial, your doctor gathered information about the best location for the catheter and the type of drug that works best for you.

Take care -