Best drug for Social Anxiety?
    reece86 is offline New Member

Default Best drug for Social Anxiety?

Hi, I suffer from social anxiety disorder and was wondering what is the most effective drug to treat this illness? thanks

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by reece86 View Post
    Hi, I suffer from social anxiety disorder and was wondering what is the most effective drug to treat this illness? thanks
    Fortunately, you don't have to figure this out. Go to a reputable psychiatrist and they will know more about the appropriate meds than anyone here would. It is up to the doctor to decide. In fact, walking in and requesting a specific drug is generally frowned upon by medical professionals.

God bless,
    Ruth

klopper22 is offline Member

I have had the best luck w/klonopin. It works well and doesn't bring on the drowzies like valium.

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by klopper22 View Post
    I have had the best luck w/klonopin. It works well and doesn't bring on the drowzies like valium.
    Yes, but Klonopin on its own will not treat the disorder, only temporarily cover the symptoms. Treatment with benzos alone will in fact, over time, worsen an anxiety disorder. I was treated for an anxiety disorder with Remeron, Luvox AND Klonopin. The Klonopin was a pain in the "male donkey" to get off of. In my case, however it was OBVIOUS that I needed it (I really was freaking out). So I took them for a while; now I don't.

Probably Paxil or Effexor or Luvox or Remeron or Trazodone or Cymbalta....I don't know, some antidepressant will probably be prescribed for your social anxiety, Reece.

If at all possible, please stay away from the benzodiazepines. IF your doctor decides you need (I mean, really NEED) them, please take them as short a time as possible. They are wonderful at relieving acute anxiety attacks but that first fact belies this other; the relief comes at a price, for one day, you must stop them and when you do, rebound anxiety is lying in wait. Consider the benzodiazepines double edged swords at best. Long acting ones (like Klonopin) are usually less problematic than the short (Ativan or Xanax).

PS: You have a quasi-anti-benzo convert, Ruth. I still say they are of limited use but in my eyes, those limits have shrunk to mere narrow margins. They are WAY over-prescribed. When I see an otherwise normal functioning adult filling their fourth of five refills (always one or two days early (48hrs is legal)) of Valium 10mg...150 pills per month, and nothing else....no long term fix...no SSRI's...no reduction of dose in sight, I know their Dr's. could do better.

Quote Originally Posted by reece86 View Post
    Good luck Reece! I ditto what Ruth said. Let a professional take control.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 06-03-2010 at 01:41 PM.
    Peter

klopper22 is offline Member

When a person has ongoing, SEVERELY CRIPPLING anxiety that saps their ability to function in the various and wonderful areas of life, they are robbed of the chance to develop personally and socially and excel in the ways people without anxiety are freely able to.

Taken responsibly, there is nothing bad about benzos. Before my anxiety got under control by taking benzos, I couldnt walk thru my workplace of 12 years without being terrified of the people I had worked those 12 years with. That hit me hard that even after working on a daily basis for 12 years with the same group of people, I could barely bring myself to look at or talk to them. I was sure that all eyes were upon me, hating me, thinking I was stupid, etc. Usually people with SAD are aware that really isnt what is going on, but they lack the ability to truly capture the fact that everyone doesn't hate them or are staring at them in a critical way.

I do realize that there are underlying things present in that person's mind that causes the anxiety, but I firmly believe that some cases are so severe that talks with a therapist is a waste of time. The brutal fact about severe anxiety disorders is that one feels they can trust NO ONE; how can you be helped by someone you don't have trust in???
    Last edited by klopper22; 06-03-2010 at 08:48 PM.

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by klopper22 View Post
    When a person has ongoing, SEVERELY CRIPPLING anxiety that saps their ability to function in the various and wonderful areas of life, they are robbed of the chance to develop personally and socially and excel in the ways people without anxiety are freely able to.

Taken responsibly, there is nothing bad about benzos. Before my anxiety got under control by taking benzos, I couldnt walk thru my workplace of 12 years without being terrified of the people I had worked those 12 years with. That hit me hard that even after working on a daily basis for 12 years with the same group of people, I could barely bring myself to look at or talk to them. I was sure that all eyes were upon me, hating me, thinking I was stupid, etc. Usually people with SAD are aware that really isnt what is going on, but they lack the ability to truly capture the fact that everyone doesn't hate them or are staring at them in a critical way.

I do realize that there are underlying things present in that person's mind that causes the anxiety, but I firmly believe that some cases are so severe that talks with a therapist is a waste of time. The brutal fact about severe anxiety disorders is that one feels they can trust NO ONE; how can you be helped by someone you don't have trust in???
    Oh yes, benzodiazepines have their place. I used them for 6 months, myself. Even though they are not good long-term fixes, they are very useful, when needed. I just think they are too liberally prescribed by under-qualified doctors. I believe that they should be prescribed by mental health experts only.

Medical science has proven that people on long term benzo therapy more often than not, will eventually develop a paradoxical increase in their anxiety.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 06-04-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    Peter

LOTSAPOP is offline Member

I can relate to what Klopper22 is saying. I'm about the same way I work in a distribution center with like 50 people in my department alone i talk with a few people that i feel comfortable with and thats about it i usally sit by myself. I dont like going to see friends or family and staying very long after a couple hours i'm ready to go. I don't like people to watch me work i get very nervous and hot. I have panic attacks were i feel like i cant breathe i struggle driving over bridges mountains sometimes overpasses i find myself pulling on the stearing wheel. When i take a new medicine i get panic attacks were i think i'm having a drug reaction to the medicine. I'm 52 yrs old and have been this way since i was about 15yrs old. Not quite as bad up to about age 30 my partying yrs i was a little more out going. I tried differant antidepressant but they made me worse couldn't sleep felt like i had the flu. Dr put me on xanax .5mg 3x a day they did help a little was on them for 4 yrs untill my dr. i guees lost his license. I never had any problem with them even when i had to go off after 4yrs. I not sure why people say there so bad It says in pdr that they are the safest maybe short term but the safest. My mother took valium for 20 yrs never had any problem with them. She just had to stay on them.
    jon11

LOTSAPOP is offline Member

Default Idont now how i did this so i hope it helpds

Quote Originally Posted by LOTSAPOP View Post
    I can relate to what Klopper22 is saying. I'm about the same way I work in a distribution center with like 50 people in my department alone i talk with a few people that i feel comfortable with and thats about it i usally sit by myself. I dont like going to see friends or family and staying very long after a couple hours i'm ready to go. I don't like people to watch me work i get very nervous and hot. I have panic attacks were i feel like i cant breathe i struggle driving over bridges mountains sometimes overpasses i find myself pulling on the stearing wheel. When i take a new medicine i get panic attacks were i think i'm having a drug reaction to the medicine. I'm 52 yrs old and have been this way since i was about 15yrs old. Not quite as bad up to about age 30 my partying yrs i was a little more out going. I tried differant antidepressant but they made me worse couldn't sleep felt like i had the flu. Dr put me on xanax .5mg 3x a day they did help a little was on them for 4 yrs untill my dr. i guees lost his license. I never had any problem with them even when i had to go off after 4yrs. I not sure why people say there so bad It says in pdr that they are the safest maybe short term but the safest. My mother took valium for 20 yrs never had any problem with them. She just had to stay on them.
    I stated taken ativan it made me drosey at work so we switched to xanax the 3 yrs later switched to valliun i couldnt tak them for some reason they would make me cry so i switched back to xanax
    jon11

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post

Oh yes, benzodiazepines have their place. I used them for 6 months, myself. Even though they are not good long-term fixes, they are very useful, when needed. I just think they are too liberally prescribed by under-qualified doctors. I believe that they should be prescribed by mental health experts only.

Medical science has proven that people on long term benzo therapy more often than not, will eventually develop a paradoxical increase in their anxiety.

Very true, Peter.

If anyone is interested in more information on the drawbacks of benzodiazepenes, this is the site of a very highly-respected expert on the subject, Dr. C. Heather Ashton, Emeritus Professor of Psychopharmacology, School of Neurosciences, Division of Psychiatry, University of Newcastle, England: http://www.benzo.org.uk/index.htm

When I strongly caution against long-term benzo use, I rely not only on my own experience and that of those clients I work with - but I also trust Dr. Ashton's vast research and wisdom on the topic.

These are powerful drugs, that quickly lend themselves to dependency, even when taken exactly as prescribed. In other words, you can become addicted without ever abusing the drug. They should not be taken without having full awareness of the all-too-common pitfalls of them.

As Peter mentioned, benzos frequently reverse their effects over time - and actually ADD to anxiety, rather than relieve it.

There are other medications for anxiety and panic disorders that are not benzodiazepenes - and not nearly as risky. Personally, I would explore any and all of them before I would ever turn to xanax, valium, klonopin, ativan and any of the other benzos.