Anxiety/phobia and depression opiate addiction
    tmo76 is offline Member

Default Anxiety/phobia and depression opiate addiction

I have had a 3-4 year long addiction and I quit on and off and recently quit for a month and I was doing so good and I popped one pill 7.5 percocet two weeks ago. I am basically quitting for my health both mental and physical. The mental right now is really tough. I have a phobia of heights and I was dealing well with it before but now even though Im just two weeks clean now after that one pill Im very fearful about getting in that situation. Is this apprehension due to PAWS? Will it pass? I used to be confident in those situations and now I am not. I feel very panicked about it. My psychiatrist adjusted my meds and I still feel the same. Maybe my mood is not there. I dont know but I wish I could get over it. If I didnt screw up with that one pill I would have 5 weeks clean.Through the years I have done 4 to 5 7.5 percs a day tapering down to three before I quit for a month.
    Please give me some advice because I am not enjoying life now and I am anxious and a little depressed...

tmo76 is offline Member

I guess I have a hopeless condition

crazin is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tmo76 View Post
    I guess I have a hopeless condition
    Drugs (any kind) can do all kinds of weird stuff, and no two people are the same. I would try to get off EVERYTHING except necessary meds such as blood pressure, diabetes, heart meds, etc... for at least 6 months. Then you can reassess your situation. Easier said than done, I know..

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Without knowing what other medications you are taking, it's hard for me to be sure what's going on for you right now. Some psychiatric meds can lend themselves to increased anxiety, even (or especially) those drugs that are intended for anxiety relief.

As for the opiate addiction, PAWS is not generally the issue this early into recovery. First off, PAWS is not common. Secondly, PAWS generally peaks between 3 to 6 months after getting clean. One thing you do need to know about PAWS is that *one* single pill resets your body back to day 1 of recovery, That's true - a single pill will restart the entire PAWS process. So, as far as that is concerned, you are 2 weeks clean, and PAWS is unlikely to be the culprit.

This is what I suspect is going on. As addicts, we have basically programmed ourselves to turn to a pill whenever a difficult emotion comes along. The drugs have become our primary coping tool. Now, drug-free, we're left vulnerable to anything and everything that comes our way. We have no idea how to deal with powerful emotions, and it all becomes quite overwhelming. The most effective way to get through this is through the help of a 12-step recovery program, such as NA or AA. That's how we develop the skills to deal with life without returning to a drug. Stopping the pills is NOT enough. We have to change ourselves from the inside, or else we're doomed to slide back into addiction.

Depression is a common symptom after opiate withdrawal. The opiates interrupt the normal brain chemistry, messing with the seratonin and dopamine reuptake process, and that can lend itself to depression. It's best to allow your body some time - at least a few months - to see if your brain chemistry can bring itself back into normal operation. if it hasn't done so on its own, a few months down the road, then you may want to discuss the possibility of anti-depressants with your doctor. I would not start the ADs this early, as it may not even be necessary in the long run.

I do pray you'll give NA or AA a chance, as I suspect you'll be surprised by what help is available to you. I wouldn't be clean and sober - and working in the substance abuse field - without these programs.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.