Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Anxiety
    medik8 is offline Member

Default Anxiety

Anxiety

Do you suffer from anxiety?
    We want to hear your story.
    Your symptoms, and your treatment. What worked for you. What didn't work. Please feel free to share your experiences.

flower3 is offline New Member

I started with a few anxiety attacks that started suddenly and got bad quickly.I was started on Lexapro 10mg and Ativan.5 mg untill the lexapro kicked in and I have been seeing a therapist and all is going well now. I am learning some relaxation techniques and some breathing that has seemed to be working. I am worried that i am getting a false sence of security in my situation since I am feeling so much better?!
    Does anybody have a story to share

Bobbyc47 is offline New Member

I've been having anxiety attacks for years probably related to the sleep apnea I had. I would wake up gasping for air. I was prescribed xanax to control the anxiety. Nobody told me how addictive this stuff was. I've also taken prozac (no help); wellbutrin (guess it worked, I'd be the last to know ; and recently switched to celexa. The reason I shifted to celexa was to come off the xanax. I have been able to get off the xanax and have been free for a week now. I've only had a couple of attacks and have been able to control it with breathing. Unfortunately, the celexa makes me very drowsy. I'm reducing my dosage on that until I'm completely off.

jaye is offline New Member

quote: the celexa makes me very drowsy. I'm reducing my dosage on that until I'm completely off.
    it takes a while for the drowsiness to subside. Also, I have found that much less than the "usual" dose works well.

welder85 is offline New Member

I was wondering how well the Ativan.5mg worked until the Lexapro started working. My doctor precribe zanax for me until the Lexapro started working. The only problem with that is it make me very disoreinted. Which I hate because I am pretty hyper type of person and like to be on top of things at all times. Just wondering
    quote:Originally posted by flower3

I started with a few anxiety attacks that started suddenly and got bad quickly.I was started on Lexapro 10mg and Ativan.5 mg untill the lexapro kicked in and I have been seeing a therapist and all is going well now. I am learning some relaxation techniques and some breathing that has seemed to be working. I am worried that i am getting a false sence of security in my situation since I am feeling so much better?!
    Does anybody have a story to share

welder85 is offline New Member

I finally decided today to go to our family doctor to see what he could do for my High level of stress and anxiety problem that I am having. Which I have waited about a year and half to see if it would just go away. No chance there responsibilites and life still continue. With the responsibilites at work and teaching in the evenings two nights a week, seven kids and a sleep apnea problem that I wear a mask for ever night, stress is not going away. So today the doctor prescribed Lexapro for the problem and Zanax to get me started until the Lexapro kicks in. But I was wondering how the Lexapro has worked for others for stress and anxiety. I am not depressed, as the medicine is also used for that. Just Highly on edge a ready to jump down anybodys throat in a moment. Thanks for sharing.

I have just started take the Lexapro today and have read several post of the medication effecting the sexual drive of women. So I was wonder is that also the unfortunate situation for men too.[?]Or does it just depend on the person. I really would not like for that to happen.

livid is offline Member

I've been thru a range of ssri's used along with ativan. Prozac, lexapro, paxil... all caused way too many problems in themselves.
    Currently I am on depakote to control the symptoms of bi-polar disorder (yes they missed this and gave me ssri's which can actually be detrimental to bi-polar). So far depakote and xanax are doing the trick for me.

My word of advice is ask 1000 questions before going on ssri's. They are way too quick to give you what they see as an easy fix. And they can only lead to worsening your condition if they misdiagnose a more serious problem.
    As far as the biofeedback with breathing techniques goes... it's all in your head. If you think it will work, it will. Personally it doesn't do a damn thing for me.

smile200037 is offline New Member

I have suffered from anxiety for as long as I can remember. Seperation anxiety as a child, ocd (which is full of anxiety filled thoughts), and eventually a few panic attacks as an adult. Also, still suffer from social anxiety, and generalized anxiety. I take paxil, which in my opinion (and that's all it is, just my opinion), is a miracle drug. Before taking paxil, I was unable to work or even function as a capable person. I also take buspar which I also think is wonderful. It is non-addicting. There are side effects to all medications. One with paxil is that it has withdrawal effects if taken off of it. But I don't plan on going off of it. So I don't worry about it. Sometimes, you just have to weigh the risks againsts the benefits. My benefits are being able to work and function without overwhelming anxiety that keeps me from getting out of bed. I agree that information is the best thing you can have on your side. Always look up information on any medicine that you are prescribed, and ask the doctor to give you information, or the pharmicist. You can purchase PDR's which are very helpful. Trust yourself, if you don't feel like something is helping or is making you worse, talk to your doctor.

accgirl4 is offline Junior Member

I had my first panic attack when I was in my own home watching a show the day I will never forget. I had the sweats, diarrea, my heart was beating so hard it hurt, shaking to the fear of dying. I was so scared I didnt know what was going on. When it finally went away I never thought about it again until about a week later and i got it even worse which brought me into the hospital because i was hyperventalating and couldn't breath. I really hate them and somethimes I wish i was never around because they are so awful.[V]

Jennifer finbow

Twizted is offline Junior Member

Hi I have suffered form ANXIETIES, PANIC ATTACKS, DEPRESSION, since I was very young! The 1 thing that complicated my problems is that I was diagnosed with GRAVE'S disease at the age of 12. So I spent many of my younger years jumping all over the place since my Thyroid was always high! Thus, creating even more anxities then I could bare! I have been on almost all of the anti-depressents that I am able to take with my disease. Now, I'm getting nervous. All of my options have almost ran out! I'm left to wonder if there is anything left for me to try? I'm so happy to hear that there are meds out there that have helped out so many people! Congradulation, to all who have been helped! Is there anyone out there in my situation? Who has tried all sorts of different meds only to find that none of them work for the long hall? Oh yes, I have been on anti-anxiety drugs for years also! So addicting...[xx(] Thanx Twisted.

Hi, I need to know what about Wellbutrin???

Hi there twizted never give up hope there is something out there and if not they are making it pecially for you. I don't know what graves diease is if you could so kindly tell me what that is that would be great. I know how it is with anxiety and it is not to pleasent and hard to control but you have always have to think positive and realize just how lucky you really are. There are people out there that have it alot worse. I am the one to speak when I get negative sometimes but dont we all[:I]

Jennifer finbow

Hello Jennifer,
    Grave's didease is a thyroid desease! As with people who have Hyper/Hypo Thyroid...It's just alot harder to control!!!
    So because I was diagnosed so young! I wasn't able to have invasive treatment to control it! so thus leaving me way too high! For way too long!!! Thanx for your concern....Twizted[:I]

livid is offline Member

Don't know if there are conflicts with graves or not.... but have any of your doctors ever considered lithium or depakote for you?

Twizted,

I am sorry to hear that my boyfriend has a problem with his thyroid aswell, one is bigger then the other one. How is your anxiety going and sorry but know nothing about the drug you were asking about

Jennifer finbow

Hello,
    Wow, I don't think I could ever take Lithium!!! >>>>, I'd be as FAT as a cow...Saw what it did to a girl when I was in hospital! And not only did she gain tons of weight! But, after all that she went threw! It never helped her at all, well if not remembering your name is good! Then maybe it was OK!!! lol...[:I]

livid is offline Member

not everyone has weight gain from lithium... depakote also has this possible side effect... think I've gained 10 lbs, but I had lost 15 prior from the bad anxiety/depression....

Oh Sorry,
    No harm intended. I wasn't trying to say anything bad! I've gained weight from alot of my meds/. I guess I've just heard more negative then positive about this med!!! [|)]...Thanks Livid

livid is offline Member

none was taken...
    think it just depends on a person's metabolism. SSRI's often cause weight gain also, but can cause weight loss in others. Same goes for lithium and depakote. I imagine all psychoactives have the possibility of weight change.

JTinNeed is offline New Member

My mother has been suffering from generalized anxiety for the past 2-3 years. It had gotten to the point that she had to take a disability retirement from her job so she is staying with me. The doctors have her on Paxil 40mg once a day as well as Neurontin 300mg with Lorazepam 0.5mg.

Now she has been doing pretty well we have had a few rough spots. She has gained some major weight and she also gets hit by some pretty bad panic attacks while we are out or if I bring up leaving the house the wrong way. I was curios about a couple things if any of you happen to know. My mothers doctors at Kaiserr have put her off as permeantley disabled but when I filler for Social Security for her she was eventually denied since they felt she wasn't disabled. Is this one of those things where I am going to have to filed 3-4 times before she is finally approved?

But this is my main reason for being here today I was curious to know if anyone here has tried to discontinue using the Paxil and Neurtonin cold turkey or just quiting the Paxil cold turkey.? ...(side note.... She has also stopped drinking soda which she has been drinking extremly for the last 30 years. In amounts of about a six pack or more a day. Not sure if this will affect anything.)

The reason I ask is that my mothers Kaiser insurance was cut off and I didn't find out about it till last month when I went to refill her perscriptions. Now she has been off both the Paxil and Neurontin for about 3 weeks and she has had really bad nausea and vomiting but what seems to be affecting her the worst is that she has gas so bad that it looks like she went up a couple of dress sizes and the thing is she can burp but not (exciuse the term) fart.

I appreciate you all reading my post and would appreciate any suggestions on possible stomach and gas remidies. Also I would love to know is how long does it usually take for the Paxil to finally come out of your system and is there any other medications I can look into for my mother.

Not to sure how long it will take me to get my mother to another doctor that knows what he is talking about.

Sincerley
    JT

lesjjj65 is offline New Member

I have been suffering from anxiety for 12 years now, and have been on prozac and trazadone for the last eight. After all this time, I have figured out how to control my anxiety and would like to get off of the medication. Can someone tell me how to do this without totally losing my mind and get sick.

relaxed at last is offline New Member

For all of you anxiety sufferers, this is not a plug for anything, just what worked for me. My anxiety attacks were totally hormonally linked. I could mark on a calendar exactly when they would happen. I started taking 500-1000mg of Evening Primrose Oil. It is a natural oil that helped me to regulate my hormones. It really works. I also found help by reading the book "From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett. Great information. Helped me a lot. Hope this helps someone. By the way, every med (RX) that I took, I got extreme side effects from, so I had to go natural. Look into herbal books. There are even more remedies out there that won't leave you in a trance.

delilah2 is offline New Member

Hi, this is my first time to this website and my first time receiving medication for anxiety.

I am confused. My dr. just prescribed Zoloft for me for generalized anxiety disorder. I don't see that disorder even listed under Zoloft indications anywhere (panic disorder, yes, but not general anxiety). The dr. commented he was selecting Zoloft rather than Effexor for me (my husband is on Effexor for depression) because Zoloft is better for anxiety. But I do see generalized anxiety disorder listed as an indication for Effexor and not for Zoloft.

Any opinions on whether my dr. is misguided to have selected Zoloft for me? On one hand, I do have some obsessive traits (though not OCD) and some occasional not-severe panic attacks, as well as a low level of social anxiety, all of which are listed as Zoloft indications, so maybe it would help me overall. But I didn't even mention the obsessiveness or social anxiety to my dr; he was definitely prescribing the Zoloft specifically for generalized anxiety disorder.

I am a little nervous about starting on the Zoloft because of the side effects along with the fact that I can't find any information to corroborate my dr's impression that this is a good choice for GAD.

Any opinions will be very much appreciated. The dr. wants to see me back in 3 weeks, so I guess if things aren't going well we can switch to something else, but I'm not wild about the idea of going through 3 weeks of so many potential discomforts from the drug, if the drug isn't likely to improve my particular condition. If I do start taking it now, my third week on it will coincide with a visit from my parents, whom I rarely get to see, and I'd rather not risk being a basket case from the Zoloft while they're here.

Sorry to sound so - um, panicky. LOL. I guess my anxiety is showing.

sandtanya is offline New Member

JT, I was on this for depression/ divorce. It's seem to work in the begining, but the longer I took it the worst I got.I talked to my doctor and I weined off of the paxill. It was like the clouds had lifted and I could see the sun again. I have heard of some bad story of cutting paxill cold turkey,I think it was about two weeks
    to get me off of it, not sure if it was still in my system. I didn't have the side affect that your mother had,I wasn't on Neurontin either. I am still depressed, but am very leary of trying anything else. The only other thing I can suggest is, It may not be related to the reason for the gas.As I get older I cannot eat any green vegtables,beans. I found that when I cook these items If I Put a little bit Of baking soda in, then I have no problem with the gas. Depending on the reason for the anxiety attacks, can pin point what brings them on or has something in her life just resently changed. I am going through menopause, divorce, empty nest,turning 50 soon.Some times i wonder how I get through the day. I cut out any alcohol for starters.I read books, anything related to my many symptoms. I read in a book not sure which one, anxiety attacks are for only a short time and if you can realize it coming on,or when it's there know that it will pass and to find,or do something positve right away so that you are not dwelling on the negative feelings to bring you out of it. I know easier said than done. I hope that your mother feels better, she is very blessed to have someone like you to take the time
    and be concerned about her, Sometimes all we need is someone to hold our hand and knowing we are not alone.Good Luck Sandtanya
    quote:Originally posted by JTinNeed

My mother has been suffering from generalized anxiety for the past 2-3 years. It had gotten to the point that she had to take a disability retirement from her job so she is staying with me. The doctors have her on Paxil 40mg once a day as well as Neurontin 300mg with Lorazepam 0.5mg.

Now she has been doing pretty well we have had a few rough spots. She has gained some major weight and she also gets hit by some pretty bad panic attacks while we are out or if I bring up leaving the house the wrong way. I was curios about a couple things if any of you happen to know. My mothers doctors at Kaiserr have put her off as permeantley disabled but when I filler for Social Security for her she was eventually denied since they felt she wasn't disabled. Is this one of those things where I am going to have to filed 3-4 times before she is finally approved?

But this is my main reason for being here today I was curious to know if anyone here has tried to discontinue using the Paxil and Neurtonin cold turkey or just quiting the Paxil cold turkey.? ...(side note.... She has also stopped drinking soda which she has been drinking extremly for the last 30 years. In amounts of about a six pack or more a day. Not sure if this will affect anything.)

The reason I ask is that my mothers Kaiser insurance was cut off and I didn't find out about it till last month when I went to refill her perscriptions. Now she has been off both the Paxil and Neurontin for about 3 weeks and she has had really bad nausea and vomiting but what seems to be affecting her the worst is that she has gas so bad that it looks like she went up a couple of dress sizes and the thing is she can burp but not (exciuse the term) fart.

I appreciate you all reading my post and would appreciate any suggestions on possible stomach and gas remidies. Also I would love to know is how long does it usually take for the Paxil to finally come out of your system and is there any other medications I can look into for my mother.

Not to sure how long it will take me to get my mother to another doctor that knows what he is talking about.

Sincerley
    JT

oldad3 is offline New Member

I have suffered from anxiety for 4 1/2 years, which has been held in check with Paxil, (with which I came off of 10 months ago because of sexual side effect), and now Welburtin. This past December the anxiety returned. My doctor prescribed buSpar along with my Welburtin. Since then it seems that I fell sluggish and an increase heartbeat. Is this just in my head, or is there any one else having these side effects?

Kiana is offline Junior Member

Taking meds, or herbs without psychological help is worthless. The anxiety will never truly go away.
    Medications just mask or cover up the symptoms, and true recovery will never happen.
    Getting to the "core" of the anxiety is the key to true recovery.
    Find a counselor or psychiatrist trained in anxiety disorders. Cognitive Behavior Therapy is a good start.
    As an alternative health care provider, I think it is a shame doctors don't require to tell you this information.

lilevolone is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Kiana

Taking meds, or herbs without psychological help is worthless. The anxiety will never truly go away.
    Medications just mask or cover up the symptoms, and true recovery will never happen.
    Find a counselor or psychiatrist trained in anxiety disorders. Cognitive Behavior Therapy is a good start.
    As an alternative health care provider, I think it is a shame doctors don't require to tell you this information.
    actually kiana not to be rude but thats bull im bi-polar with anxiety and panic attacks now i went to therapy for years until ha what do u know chemical imbalances, physical problems, something that all the therapy in the world wouldnt cure sometimes "talking about my feelings" or "alternative health care" just doesnt cut it thats why we have real medical doctors to fall back on i guess... honestly im sorry if this sounds harsh but im sick of hearing how its just something ive created sometimes believe it or not its physical not only mental

Kiana is offline Junior Member

quote:Originally posted by lilevolone

quote:Originally posted by Kiana

actually kiana not to be rude but thats bull im bi-polar with anxiety and panic attacks now i went to therapy for years until ha what do u know chemical imbalances, physical problems, something that all the therapy in the world wouldnt cure sometimes "talking about my feelings" or "alternative health care" just doesnt cut it thats why we have real medical doctors to fall back on i guess... honestly im sorry if this sounds harsh but im sick of hearing how its just something ive created sometimes believe it or not its physical not only mental
    Not to be rude, but you should really learn how to use punctuation. Your message was almost impossible to read.
    Bi-polar is a chemical imbalance and can be controlled with meds. Your anxiety could be stemming from this. Taking more pills for the anxiety will not make your anxiety go away. It will just cover up the symptoms. That is not a cure. Seeing a good therapist would help you to get to the root of the anxiety. Anxiety will cause physical symptoms, and the meds will only mask them all. A family member of mine is bipolar, and takes meds, and sees a qualified therapist. I never said it was all in your mind. What I said was if you don't seek a qualifed therapist, the meds are just covering up the symptoms, and that is not a cure.

addict8 is offline Junior Member

Hi!!! I have not read all your postes in detail but I can share what I do know:

Social Anxiety disoder(S.A.D):

Low dose 1 5mg Valium, 5mg

General dose 2 5mg Valium, 10mg

Agrophobia(Fear of crowds) associated with SAD,
    (no Valium) 2 30mg Serapax, 60mg

Paranoid Agrophobia associated with SAD(Chronic) with or without Schizophrenia,
    1 2mg Xanax and sometimes another Anti-anxiety, (Benzodiazepines)Valium, Serapax, Ativan ect, (Anti-psychotic--&gt Largactyl, Haldol, Loxtane, Mellaril, Moban, (Atypical Anti-psychotics---&gt Clozaril, Geodon, Risperdal, Seroquel, Zyprexa.

Generalised anxiety disorder(G.A.D):
    Low dose 1 30mg Serapax

General dose 2 30mg Serapax

Agrophobia associated GAD may require as little as Serapax, Or depending on the case may just lead you to what I wrote above this on SAD. It also depends on a lot of other things too, like if you suffer from Depression, Insomnia, Epilepsy, nearly everything to do with your head will have a strong effect on what medication you should be taking, and in what amount.

In taking Anxiety related medication it is my own beliefe that it just covers the problem over rather than dealing with it. Leaving the recipient with a withdrawal nightmare and the same if not worse Anxiety and probably restlessness(Sometimes Insomnia is brought on by Anti-anxiety medications). It is true that in some people that Anxiety can't be cured, at the same time in others they can learn to cope with these feelings of distress.

I am not responsible for any actions you take and a clinical doctor should be sought if you have these problems and don't just want to pop pills, this is by no means a derogative statment. People who ligitimatly want help will seek it from a professional.

I am just trying to give a little back to this site for all it has taught me, I do know a hell of a lot about medication and it's effects but I AM NOT A DOCTOR!!!

You choose the hell you want to live...

<===========================>

kuplo is offline Junior Member

I went through years fo anxiety attacks. They would start with the mildeest of coughts, then soon turn into gag format and eventaulll votmit attacks.

I alwayw asocaited athis as noralm behavior till I WENT TO my doctor and cound it can be cotrolled. Being a big guy (313#) he prescried 2mg 4 time a dayk which was way too much to savtuslly tskr euilr aiam awke., True no more exniey attacks occur now, but Im cuting th does down to3mmg during the day time, and 1mg right before bed. if the anxety attacks stay away great, thats the doese i'LL stay on until my DR says other wise, if not then I'll have to back up the does to 4mg per day and a 1mg before bed if I cante sleep

The Docs got me on all like all kinds of other meds too, Vitoryn *can you say expensive $91.00/30 pils), lexapro 10mg 1/day and 320mg of Diovan.

The only experience I have with pain pill additciions was Vicodin 750s, evetually I was taking 6 of them just to get out of bed, stopping at the coffee shop and have a double exprssso, then taking either 1 or 2 more later in the day. I stoppee cold turkey, and life sucked for about 7 or 8 days, sweats, sleeplesness, restlessness, tired, and every day pain that we all feel normally and just dont notice anymore was like havng my arm amputateed without anethestic.

It was a sucky 7 or days, but iM glad those days are behind me now. Now I just have Xanax to get off of in about 2 months time wen the doctor starts dropping the dose as my weight drops and I no longe rhave hay cravings for alcohol.

craz_chick is offline Member

quote:Originally posted by Bobbyc47

I've been having anxiety attacks for years probably related to the sleep apnea I had. I would wake up gasping for air. I was prescribed xanax to control the anxiety. Nobody told me how addictive this stuff was. I've also taken prozac (no help); wellbutrin (guess it worked, I'd be the last to know ; and recently switched to celexa. The reason I shifted to celexa was to come off the xanax. I have been able to get off the xanax and have been free for a week now. I've only had a couple of attacks and have been able to control it with breathing. Unfortunately, the celexa makes me very drowsy. I'm reducing my dosage on that until I'm completely off.
    I am on celxia and I dont find i get drowsy. I know friends that have taken it have felt really sick on it. my b/f was just given effexor and i had tried to get him to try my celxia but he said they make him sick also. I heard with celxia u can gain weight and i think i have gained my weight from that and i am not happy, but i find it does work for my anxiety. my b/f is also looking into sleep apnea as i have had to wake him up because he sounds like he stops breathing. How did u deal with the sleep apnea?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast