Answers for my diabetic mom?
    sweetpea602 is offline New Member

Default Answers for my diabetic mom?

Can someone out there tell me if they have ever experienced these strange symptoms? My mother is an 81 yr old, type 2 diabetic and she has an odd symptom. She is extremely nauseated most days of her life. This has been going on now for a couple years. Doctors have given her excuses from acid reflux to bladder infections. She takes medicine for both but cannot find relief!! She is starting to become depressed because the nausea is so debilitating. She used to be a VERY active woman, and still is on her few good days. The doctors have given her all kinds of anti-nausea meds, some work but insurance wont pay for them w/o a diagnosis...Anyone, PLEASE, if you have any advise let me know!! I want to be able to spend quality time with my mom and her 9 yr old granddaughter...Thank-you so much and God bless! Sweetpea

Naturopathic is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea602 View Post
    Can someone out there tell me if they have ever experienced these strange symptoms? My mother is an 81 yr old, type 2 diabetic and she has an odd symptom. She is extremely nauseated most days of her life. This has been going on now for a couple years. Doctors have given her excuses from acid reflux to bladder infections. She takes medicine for both but cannot find relief!! She is starting to become depressed because the nausea is so debilitating. She used to be a VERY active woman, and still is on her few good days. The doctors have given her all kinds of anti-nausea meds, some work but insurance wont pay for them w/o a diagnosis...Anyone, PLEASE, if you have any advise let me know!! I want to be able to spend quality time with my mom and her 9 yr old granddaughter...Thank-you so much and God bless! Sweetpea
    Hi Sweetpea,

Sorry to hear about your mom's problem. Diabetes can actually cause bouts of nausea, even chronic nausea. If this is the case, she will have to work on solving the blood sugar problems before the nausea will go away. Is she on any prescriptions other than the anti-nausea drugs? Sometimes medications too, such as for diabetes, and especially for osteoporosis can cause nausea. Fortunately, these drugs are often times unnecessary if the person is willing to change a few things about their diet and take dietary supplements instead. Of course you would have to work with the doctor with this process.

If she is willing to change her diet and take a few supplements, here is what I would suggest.

1. Talk to her doctor and inform him/her that you want to try to manage blood sugar with less (or no) medication through diet, physical activity, and supplementation. He or she will have to adjust the medication accordingly.

2. Encourage your mom to cut out ALL processed foods (things that come in packages and are man-made) and eat primarily raw fruits and vegetables and smaller amounts of grains, beans, and lean protein. Also make sure she is drinking at least half her body weight in ounces of water a day. So for 110lbs, drink 55oz

3. Get her on blood sugar regulating nutrients ASAP. My favorites are:
    DHA - at least 1000mg
    Cinnamon Extract
    Fiber
    Magnesium at least 500mg

4. Daily physical activity even just walking or stretching can be extremely helpful especially when done in the morning.

5. Encourage her to eat 3 meals a day without snacking and avoid eating late at night.

While I can't guarantee these steps will cure diabetes, IMO they will give her the best chance IMO to manage it healthfully and hopefully get rid of the nausea as well. I can't imagine it wouldn't. Good luck!

-Ben
    Last edited by Naturopathic; 03-15-2011 at 11:25 AM.