Results 1 to 8 of 8
Abilify Proof Of Connected Disorders?
  1. #1
    henderman10 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default Abilify Proof Of Connected Disorders?

    If you've seen the commercials(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2hS...layer_embedded) 2 out of 3 people still have depression symptoms after taking antidepressants. That is a bold statement to make which should change everyones opinion about antidepressants.

    Not to be completely negative on this topic but come on, someone has to criticize this. If you read about abilify, it treats a wide range of completely different disorders, in one pill. How can that be possible? It says it treats Schizophrenia, Bi-polar disorder, Depression, Autism(irritability) and Cocaine Dependency.

    If someone is taking this medication for depression, is it not going in and acting on the same part of the brain as it would for bi-polar disorder or schizophrenia? It would have to be acting on the same part because the medication cannot tell what is exactly wrong with and go in and fix only that. If this med did work as it says its suppose to, wouldn't it be a ground breaking jaw dropping medicine? To treat all of these disorders in one single pill?

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    I'm not a big fan of AD..they had me on a lot of them till decided they didn't work for me and I stoped...
    could it just be one more way to get us dependent on yet one more drug !!!
    I think so !!!
    we all need to be careful out there

  3. #3
    henderman10 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of AD..they had me on a lot of them till decided they didn't work for me and I stoped...
    could it just be one more way to get us dependent on yet one more drug !!!
    I think so !!!
    we all need to be careful out there
    That does seem possible. Why would doctors go to adding another drug to help another drug. That doesn't make any sense. The only sense you can make out of that is for the company to profit. First off why wouldn't they just up the dose of the first antidepressant the patient is already taking. Why add another pill, giving you twice the side effects and barely helping your depression problem?

    Sad thing is, doctors must support this kind of advertising and prescribing if the commercial is saying "ask your doctor".

    Is anyone tired of hearing "this drug may cause an increased risk in suicide" when an antidepressant commercial comes on?

  4. #4
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by henderman10 View Post
    That does seem possible. Why would doctors go to adding another drug to help another drug. That doesn't make any sense. The only sense you can make out of that is for the company to profit. First off why wouldn't they just up the dose of the first antidepressant the patient is already taking. Why add another pill, giving you twice the side effects and barely helping your depression problem?

    Sad thing is, doctors must support this kind of advertising and prescribing if the commercial is saying "ask your doctor".

    Is anyone tired of hearing "this drug may cause an increased risk in suicide" when an antidepressant commercial comes on?
    I thik the doctors must get some kind of kick back for the pharmaceutical companys
    dont you ???

  5. #5
    MaisieC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    696

    Default

    I think commercials are probably the single worst place to get information about medications, and frankly I'm still shocked when I see ads for meds on TV. I think it's completely inappropriate.

    Anti-depressants saved my life, and they help thousands of people. I do think they are widely overprescribed. Probably most people given ADs should have therapy first, but the insurance companies won't pay for proper therapy, and people can't afford it on their own or don't know about it. Hence these drugs getting thrown around like candy.

    There is a whole class of drugs that's used to treat multiple disorders like schizophrenia, bi-polar, and uni-polar depression. They're not ground-breaking or jaw-dropping; there's a whole class of drugs that work this way. I think perhaps the drugs are developed for one purpose, then in practice doctors find they help in other ways. Wellbutrin was developed as an anti-depressant, but now it's widely used to help people quit smoking. I think they don't know exactly what is going on in the brain in these cases, but they are learning as they go.

    I am the last person to defend big pharma. But I do have tremendous respect for good psychiatrists who are doing their best to help people feel better. They're highly educated, and they keep up with the research in their field. And they do NOT get kickbacks from the pharma companies.

    My philosophy is to take as few pills as possible, for as short a time as possible.

    Take care,
    Maisie

  6. #6
    henderman10 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    I thik the doctors must get some kind of kick back for the pharmaceutical companys
    dont you ???
    Well you cant say that. Knowing people who have been given free samples of medication every time they go in to their GP's makes it seem as such. A simple google search will bring up this http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...69I3PO20101019.

  7. #7
    henderman10 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaisieC View Post
    I think commercials are probably the single worst place to get information about medications, and frankly I'm still shocked when I see ads for meds on TV. I think it's completely inappropriate.

    Anti-depressants saved my life, and they help thousands of people. I do think they are widely overprescribed. Probably most people given ADs should have therapy first, but the insurance companies won't pay for proper therapy, and people can't afford it on their own or don't know about it. Hence these drugs getting thrown around like candy.

    There is a whole class of drugs that's used to treat multiple disorders like schizophrenia, bi-polar, and uni-polar depression. They're not ground-breaking or jaw-dropping; there's a whole class of drugs that work this way. I think perhaps the drugs are developed for one purpose, then in practice doctors find they help in other ways. Wellbutrin was developed as an anti-depressant, but now it's widely used to help people quit smoking. I think they don't know exactly what is going on in the brain in these cases, but they are learning as they go.

    I am the last person to defend big pharma. But I do have tremendous respect for good psychiatrists who are doing their best to help people feel better. They're highly educated, and they keep up with the research in their field. And they do NOT get kickbacks from the pharma companies.

    My philosophy is to take as few pills as possible, for as short a time as possible.

    Take care,
    Maisie
    So you're saying doctors do not know what is going on in the brain in these cases but they have medicine that treats it? That doesnt make any sense. Learning as you go? How can you say this medication works if you're learning as you go using people in need as pretty much test subjects? Doesn't sound like science. What other drugs work the way this one does, treating a huge range of completely different disorders?

    Dont get me wrong, yes these drugs have helped millions and I have tremendous respect for the doctors in the field. It's just that when people see commercials like this, it makes them lose trust in this style of practice.

  8. #8
    MaisieC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by henderman10 View Post
    So you're saying doctors do not know what is going on in the brain in these cases but they have medicine that treats it? That doesnt make any sense. Learning as you go? How can you say this medication works if you're learning as you go using people in need as pretty much test subjects? Doesn't sound like science. What other drugs work the way this one does, treating a huge range of completely different disorders?

    Dont get me wrong, yes these drugs have helped millions and I have tremendous respect for the doctors in the field. It's just that when people see commercials like this, it makes them lose trust in this style of practice.
    Yes, I agree it doesn't make sense, but that's the fact. I remember when my doctor first put me on Prozac, I was asking him about how it works. You know all those drawings of nerve endings with little dots that represent serotonin floating between nerves? You see them in all the books and websites that explain how SSRIs work. My doctor interrupted me and said "look, that's how we THINK they work, but we don't really know." He's an excellent doctor and teaches in an Ivy-League affiliated psychiatric hospital in New York. He knows his stuff. They are indeed learning as they go, and they are using us as subjects to some extent. They research within the protocols set out (and I personally think a lot of pharma companies bend the rules and tweak their findings), the FDA approves the drug, and it's released to the public.

    Sometimes drugs get pulled, because they have side effects that are worse than expected. Remember the whole Vioxx scandal? Google it, if not.

    The thing you mention about the suicide warnings with some ADs? That didn't use to be there. They learned that after the drugs were released and some people killed themselves. The researchers and doctors are still arguing about why this happens. They are indeed learning as they go.

    I imagine the researchers would argue that they help far more people than they harm by working this way, and that there is no way to tell in clinical trials what the effects will be on 100% of the population. "Science" isn't a process written in stone, and this is the way they're practicing it.

    I think it's probably wise to distrust a little. This is the way pharmaceutical science works, or at least the way it is practiced. That's the way it is. I don't think you should run screaming every time a doctor prescribes something, but I think it's very wise to be as informed as possible.

    Take care,
    Maisie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22