1st time suboxone user can't take the wd symptoms...Any advice or suggestions welcome
    louanthony is offline New Member

Default 1st time suboxone user can't take the wd symptoms...Any advice or suggestions welcome

My fiancee was on Methadone approximately 60-70mg per day. He went to his doctor to get help from the dependency. He was prescribed 8mgs of suboxone twice per day and was specifically advised to wait at least 72 hours after his last metahdone dose to begin the treatment. I told him to listen to the doctor but after 17 hours of no meth he felt he needed something so he took 8mg of suboxone that the doc prescribed.
    No one has to tell me this was a huge mistake. I told him not to and he wouldn't listen. After looking online for the last 3 hours I have some understanding as to why it was not ok to take them with so much methadone still in his system due to the harsh wd it causes. but now he's learning that the hard way.
    Within 30 minutes he was experiencing what he calls the worst wd symptoms he's ever had. He had the runs, throwing up, cold sweats, muscle spasms/pain, the shakes, rls. He caled the doc who told him to take 2 more (16mgs) about 2 and a half hours after his 1st dose. Within 10 minutes he threw up and the doc said he probably threw up the pills so an hour later the doc orders him to take 16mgs more of the suboxone. He was able to keep it down and not thow up for an hour but is really going through it. He desperately wants to take the methadone to ease his symptoms.
    Can he take methadone now after taking the suboxone? How long should he wait
    Last edited by louanthony; 07-29-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by louanthony View Post
    My fiancee was on Methadone approximately 60-70mg per day. He went to his doctor to get help from the dependency. He was prescribed 8mgs of suboxone twice per day and was specifically advised to wait at least 72 hours after his last metahdone dose to begin the treatment. I told him to listen to the doctor but after 17 hours of no meth he felt he needed something so he took 8mg of suboxone that the doc prescribed.
    No one has to tell me this was a huge mistake. I told him not to and he wouldn't listen. After looking online for the last 3 hours I have some understanding as to why it was not ok to take them with so much methadone still in his system due to the harsh wd it causes. but now he's learning that the hard way.
    Within 30 minutes he was experiencing what he calls the worst wd symptoms he's ever had. He had the runs, throwing up, cold sweats, muscle spasms/pain, the shakes, rls. He caled the doc who told him to take 2 more (16mgs) about 2 and a half hours after his 1st dose. Within 10 minutes he threw up and the doc said he probably threw up the pills so an hour later the doc orders him to take 16mgs more of the suboxone. He was able to keep it down and not thow up for an hour but is really going through it. He desperately wants to take the methadone to ease his symptoms.

You say he has kept repeating this 16mg dose because he is throwing up. Is he swallowing the suboxone??? If he is that is the first mistake.

First of all you aren't even supposed to switch from methadone to suboxone while at that high of a dose of methadone. The dr should know better. You are supposed to titrate down to less than 30mg and then make the switch to suboxone. Then add to it that your fiancee was not anywhere near ready to start suboxone even if he had been on the correct dose of methadone. We can't just take a medication however we want and expect it to work the way we wish it would. You have to be in severe w/d to be inducted into suboxone. You don't go on suboxone being off methadone for a few hours. But even then you don't just keep taking more and more and more suboxone at 16mg doses. This whole thing is insane. This is a perfect example of why any drug gets a bad rep. You have to take medication the way it is intended to be taken.

At this point I think the best thing would be to get back on the methadone first of all. Then if your fiancee wants to switch to suboxone for whatever reason he needs to do it properly. Reduce the methadone dose and wait to start suboxone when he is in w/d like the drug manufacturer stipulates. Good luck.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 07-29-2008 at 10:32 PM.

bev49 is offline Banned

Hi lou. I'm sorry about your fiancees trouble but let me tell you, he did everything the wrong way. I was on 80 mgs. of methadone for a long long time. When I suggested to the doc that I wanted to go the suboxone route, he told me I would not be elegible until I got myself down to at least 25 mgs. I went down on the meth slowly. It took almost 3 years to get from 80 to 20. Then, and this was the worst part. He told me I would have to be in moderate wirthdraw symptoms for the syboxone to work. If you are not, it works the opposite. There is an opiate antagonist mixed with the sub which makes you get very sick with withdrawals if not in withdrawl to start. I took my last dose of methadone on a Sunday morning and started sub on Wednesday morning. I felt awful by that time. Had restless leg syndrome, no more like restless body syndrome. Had not slept, etc. However, 20 minutes after the first dose of sub, I was fine. On the second week of sub and I think its great. I never even needed 32 mgs. a day. Started out with 16, 8 mg. 2x a day and today I took 14 (8 in a.m., 6 in p.m.). The doctor who gave him sub knowing he was on 60-70 mgs. of meth who told him to keep taking more sub even though he was so ill was not very knowlegeable about this in my opinion. As Robert said and I agree, he should get back on methadone than do it the proper way. Good luck.

python134r is offline Member

I feel ya, what bothers me is that a MD or DO would prescribe sub and give instructions such as above. They are suppose to have "special training" to be able to prescribe, at least here in Florida. He gotta go back on meth, as Bev and Rob stated.

adoan is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by louanthony View Post
    In order to get out from any drug addiction, you should taper down slowly from the same drug over so many days, weeks, months depending on your metabolism and the will to get out of that drug. You have to be spiritually prepare to get out of any addiction to avoid relapse in the future. Good luck.

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

I had a quack MD write my script for the sub. I was told to take 1/2 my dose which was about 36mg. of Meth the morning before I went to his office. I did just that. By the next morning I was showing signs of w/d. I had chills, high blood pressure, tachy. He took 5 mins to write the script. I actually waited untill about 5 that evening before I took the sub. Of, course I went straight into full WD. This was on Friday night now and going into the weekend.

I found the sub site that gave the instuction to the MD and it said if one goes into Precipatory WD give 2 mg SL and repeat every two hours untill symptoms subside. By monday morning I could get up and clean up the room.

Darn Doctors. I am really getting angry at them.

bev49 is offline Banned

I agree with you 100% sis. You have to learn about the sub before you even go to the doctor. Sub is a really great way for a doctor to make LOTS of money. Some are quacks. I still can't get over what your doctor did to you. Some doctors are caring and great but some doctors have no clue on how to perscribe sub even thought they were supposedly trained. They are in it for the money pure and simple. You have to research sub before going to the doctor, then you can tell HIM if he tells you something wrong, like failing to mention that you need to be in moderate withdrawal or perscribing ridiculous dosages.

jennmkillgore is offline Junior Member

Default Amazing

I have been reading everything in this thread and I find it incredible how stupid doctors can be. These are the people that we trust with our lives during our most vulnerable moments. And what do they do? They prescribe wrong, give wrong directions, etc and then won't take responsibility. The same happens with Methadone. You hear about all these "methadone deaths" around the country and it is because doctors don't take the time to actually READ up on prescribing directions from the drug manufacturer. Most of those deaths are pain patients during induction. The pain killing effect wears off HOURS before another dose is due, so they take more, thinking it will be ok. Then the methadone builds up in their system due to the extremely long half life, and before you know it, they have died from an accidental overdose. This is how medications like sub and methadone get such a horrible rap! I believe that education is the key.

Louanthony I'm really sorry that happened with your fiance. That sucks!! I too would suggest going back on Methadone until such a time that it is appropriate to switch to suboxone. Ya'll will be in my thoughts and prayers!
    Jennifer