Zofran Heart Defect
    maria12345 is offline New Member

Default Zofran Heart Defect

Dear Friends
    I am happy for all of those who had healthy babies. Mine was born with a very unusual heart defects. Let me tell you my story:
    I was feeling nausea, my husband took me to the E.R. The drug they gave me in the E.R. is Ondansetron (Zofran) . Ondansetron a serotonin 5-HT3 receptor antagonist used mainly to treat nausea and vomiting following chemotherapy and after surgery. There is little information about their effect on the pregnancy and therefore the standard advice is to avoid unless absolutely necessary. Evidence on the safety of 5HT3 inhibitors (such as ondansetron) in pregnancy is limited.
    The doctor that treated me at my 7 weeks of pregnancy did not give me any information about this drug before using it on me, He only said that it was an “unbelievable expensive antinausea medication”. Before I left the E.R. My husband questioned him about the drug. The assured him that this drug was not dangerous to my baby.
    I am very sad because they injected me zofran without warning me about the lack of studies about the effects of this medication in pregnant women, especially in the first trimester. I am also sad because there are many mild and proven medications for treating nausea in pregnant women and they gave me a medication that is mainly prescribed for nausea and vomiting following chemotherapy and after surgery.
    We came to the hospital looking for relief and we trusted the doctors to make the right decisions.
    Some of the known side effects of Ondansetron include:
    · Slow heart rate (bradycardia)
    · Abnormal heart beats (arrhythmias)
    · Seizures
    I did not presente any of those symptoms after the injection. However, I have no doubt that this medication affected my baby’s heart. The heart is developing its structures within the first 8 weeks and they injected me with Zofran at 7 weeks . It seems likely that a medication that has exhibited electrophysiological effects on the cardiac muscle in children and adults would affect the forming structures of my baby’s heart. My baby was born with a collection of very unusual heart problems. That unusual collection of heart defects cannot be probability only!!!!. Those problems according with medical literature are associated with an event happening in the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. Zofran was the only medication I took in my entire pregnancy.

I waited to have a baby until I felt it was the right time in my life, so that I could give that child all of my love and care. During my pregnancy I was very careful to eat properly, and not to take any medication. During my 7th week I was experiencing nausea. My husband and I went to the hospital trusting to give me some relief, but mainly to make sure that there was no danger to our child.

Can any of them prove to me that their medication did not harm the forming structures of my baby’s heart and that this medication was not responsible for the numerous and rare heart defects that my baby now suffers from? If they cannot make this guarantee this, then why is it allowed for Doctors to give this drug to pregnant women. My research indicates that this drug has mainly been studied for its effects on pregnancy in rats. Those studies sustain Ondansetron does not harm the fetus of pregnant rats and what about the fetus of pregnant women? There are articles that warns cardiac impaired patients about the use 5-HT3s for nausea & vomiting because they are more vulnerable to adverse reactions.

We learned about our baby’s birth heart defect at 14 weeks, and my husband and I chose to give our baby a chance at life, and not to have an abortion. I was very careful about taking care of my self throughout my pregnancy. I chose to give birth with a C-section because while this increased my risk, it lowered the risk to my child. I made many sacrifices to give my daughter her best chance at life. I would ever knowingly allow the doctors to give me this unproven medication if I had known how little was known about its effect on pregnant women.
    I hope the Law can help to stop these situations from happening. Do not allow that embryonic human life to be exposed to substances that might harm them and obstruct their normal development. Why whether this medication warns its use in children does not warn its use in pregnant women who carry little childs inside them? Why a package of cigarrets warns about its possible effects in pregnant women and an antinausea medication does not? This might not be of your concern, but my tears don't stop since then, and everytime I take my baby to the hospital. She had a heart surgery already and some more comming.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-16-2012 at 10:27 PM.

carolsp is offline New Member

Default Questioning Zofran

I have a twin sister..I have 3 kids and 2 of those kids I used Zofran ..she just had her 2nd child and he has all these heart issues..it doesn't run in our family at all or the baby father's family..he has 2 holes in his heart something about upside down valves..something with the ventricles..he was born the 6th of this month (last week)..The first thing I thought was Zofran..she used it the WHOLE pregnancy ..she was extremely sick and took it as much as was allowed..So I was wondering what is going on with your child now?..I was trying to research this and this was the only thing I really saw on the internet..

Seeker0924 is offline New Member

Default Granddaughter with heart problem - mother took Zofran

Hello,

My daughter-in-law just delivered my granddaughter. She had to be taken to a nearby teaching hospital shortly after birth due to a very fast heartrate.

We now have found out that she has Supraventricular tachycardia that is being caused by an accessory pathway in her heart. She will need to take medication for this 3 times a day until she 8 to 10 years old and then they can sever this pathway and fix it.

The first thing I thought of was the Zofran. I knew this was a medication given to chemotherapy patients for nausea. My doctor had given it to me also because after some stomach surgery I am no longer able to vomit. I didn't want my daughter-in-law taking this medicine but she was very, very sick most of the pregnancy.

They should not give this medicine to pregnant women when it hasn't been studied in humans.

I would like to know what to do to keep this medicine from being given to any other pregnant women.

That's our story.

swplum is offline New Member

My son was born in April 2011, with this pregnancy I was very sick and after 4 months the doctor gave me zofran to take to hep me. I also was very strict about not taking anything. I only took it a few times. When he was only 3 days old we found out that he has a heart condition cardiomyopathy left ventricle non-compaction. I have wondered if this medication was the cause. My other two children have no heart related issues. thank you very much for sharing your story.

wpwmom is offline New Member

I took Zofran during my pregnancy in 2004. I was considered high risk because i was so sick and passing out during my pregnancy so I had ultrasound every two weeks. They never saw any heart problems at that time. My son is 7 now and he had surgery to fix his condition called Wolfe parkinson white syndrome! We found it by accident when he was diagnosed with ADHD they did a routine EKG, and there it was! He's is doing fine now but I keep trying to figure out what could've caused it and the Zofran is the only thing I can come up with.

TAMallick is offline New Member

Yes, we would ever knowingly allow the doctors to give us unproven medication. As a conscious people, we should have some knowledge about treatment and medicine. Also we should carefully select reputed doctor or hospital for treatment.

Drsuess13 is offline New Member

I took zofran during my second pregnancy. Last year, at the age of 3, my daughter suffered a sudden cardiac arrest. We were fortunate to have emergency medical training, and my husband and I were able to resuscitate her with an AED. After all of the testing was done, we were told our daughter has a rare genetic heart disorder...the same exact condition users of zofran are warned against. There is no family history of this condition in my family or my husband's. I find this to be too much of a coincidence to be swept under the rug.