Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brainiacthemaniac
Xanax vs.Valium
    leelee001 is offline Junior Member

Default Xanax vs.Valium

Just curious how this works.I realize that BOTH are in the benzo family,and both have somewhat different ingrediants...but would you say a 10 MG Valium is basically equal to a blue 1MG Xanax...or even a pink Xanax(0.5,0.25) etc.....are Valiums basically stronger? Or Xanax?
    Any info would be really appreciated....

leelee001 is offline Junior Member

hope I put this on the right board.If not (so so sorry)

salesguy is offline New Member

Forgot to mention that last time I took valium it was roche valium and I ordered it from drugstore.com I once almost ordered from another pharmacy but these days you can only trust reliable Online Pharmacies like dru

Oh and the valium I order was light blue!!!![8D]

Please share any experiences you guys have had with valium, I am still learning!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-06-2011 at 07:52 AM.

salesguy is offline New Member

Just wanted to mention to everyone that I recently ran into an excellent site that lists good books on xanax and mostly anxiety. This particlular page list great info on xanax and its usage

[

Did not find any books on valium but it sure helped me find the right book for my anxiety attack which by the way have gotten worse so much for xanax!

Good Luck everyone
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-06-2011 at 07:53 AM.

tproc787 is offline New Member

Well 10 mgs of Valium would equal about .5 mgs of Xanax meaning that xanax (alprazolam) is a more potent drug than Valium (Diazapam). Both are tranquilizers. I have found that if you have a pain factor in your illness valium is more effective rather than xanax. Xanax how ever has seemed to be the best way to stop an anxiety or panic attack in its tracks.

brainiacthemaniac is offline New Member

Just to add quickly, Diazepam is different from Alprazolam in that one is a triazolo-benzodiazepine and one is a typical benzodiazepine, you can tell from the difference in the last three letters of the drug i.e. Diazepam versus Alprazolam
    boggie man likes this.

flycastingnut01 is offline New Member

Default Xanax vs. Valium ?? DEPENDS??

I am a 37 year old Male and I have been "Struggling" with SEVERE Anxiety- and Panic Attacks, since I was 14 or 15. I didn't get "treated" for it until my Early 20's. During all these years of being in Treatment I have been on pretty much ALL of the Benzo's- Valium (Diazepam)- comes in 2mg that are yellow, 5mg that are Orange, and 10mg that are Blueish Green, Then Xanax,(Alprazolam) there are the "White Bars" that are 2mg, and the "Strongest" then 1mg that are Blue and they also come in Pink, and Yellow I "Think??" that the Pink are the .25Mg, and the Yellow are .5Mg- and the weakest (I Think??) then Klonopin (Clonazepam) I was only on it for a few weeks, 2Mg.- 3 Times a day and I "think" they were round and White. Anyway, Yes they are ALL Benzo's, but they each have differant "uses" and have Very differant "affects" on the body!! I was on 2mg of Xanax (Alprazolam), the "White Bars" and "strongest"- 3 times a day for awhile. Xanax comes on FAST and Quick, and it also leaves the body ie: Loses it's theraputic effect Quickly!! It is more for people who arent dealing with Anxiety "constantly" its more for people who get slammed by Anxiety Attacks occasionally- it hits ya FAST to counter the Panic Attack Fast. But the Anti-Anxiety benefit leaves the body pretty fast to, pretty much just long Enough to get ya through a Pani Attack!! Valium (Diazepam)- 10mg, at 4 Times a day, which "I am on now" works quite a bit slower than Xanax, doesn't give ya that almost "Immediate" Buzz. but it's "theraputic" benefits stay in the body a LOT longer than Xanax!! I take it because I have bad Anxiety pretty much ALL Day, and I needed something that lasted longer than a Xanax!! And Klonopin (Clonazepam) is prescribed for a few "differant" medical reasons other than Anxiety/Panic, it is also an anti-siezure medication, etc. I was on it for awhile, the 2mg. (strongest) but it did not help my anxiety very well so i wasn't on it for very long. It took a few years of Trial and Error to find what worked best for me and like I said I am on 10mg's-4 times a day. Now and I have been for Years! But I Totally agree with you that Valium is a lot "Better" with Alcohol, than Xanax is!! I am certainley NOT a "Pro", but like I said ive been on most, if not ALL of the "Benzo's" over the last Decade or so, and just wanted to Post my "First Hand" experiance's on here!!

flycastingnut01 is offline New Member

Default Xanax vs. Valium

Quote Originally Posted by leelee001 View Post
    Just curious how this works.I realize that BOTH are in the benzo family,and both have somewhat different ingrediants...but would you say a 10 MG Valium is basically equal to a blue MG Xanax...or even a pink Xanax(0.5,0.25) etc.....are Valiums basically stronger? Or Xanax?
    This is my 2nd post on this, but I'm bored so one more

Like I said before: I started to have a LOT of Anxiety when I was around 14 or 15, not really the so called typical "Panic Attacks", but basically I had Horrible Anxiety that would hit me, "out of the Blue" as soon as I woke up in the mornings and never really got any better as the day went on, usually just got worse, until I fell asleep at night!! I didn't begin or get any "treatment" until I was around 24 or 25, basically because I had No idea what was wrong with me!! I just knew I hated to be around big "groups" of people, and I "avoided" doing a lot of things that I might have enjoyed, but because my Anxiety was so Bad I didn't even want to try. When I finally did tell my family why I hated to do some things so bad, that to most people weren't even a big deal, my Parents got me in to a Psychiatrist Finally!! That started my travels down the "Benzo Highway". That was well over a decade ago and I think iv'e tried just about all of the Benzo's!! But as far as which is "stronger" - Valium or Xanax, its kind of hard to "Judge" because Valium (Diazepam) and Xanax (Alprazolam) both work differantly from each other. It's kind of like comparing a person who run's marathon's to a person that is a "sprinter". I have been on Xanax- 2Mg. (The Rectangular White Bars) which are also the strongest "dose" of Xanax. And I have been on Valium,- 10Mg. (Round-Blueish/Green) 4 Times a day that are also the "strongest" dose of Valium.
    From my experiance I would say the Blue, 1Mg. Xanax are probably the closest in "strength" to a 10Mg- Round/Bluish Green Valium. I was on Xanax for 3 or 4 years, I started with the 1mg. and moved to the 2Mg.(Strongest) after being on them for a few years, my body developed a "tolerance" so I had to move up to the 2mg. Xanax for another few years, then when I built a tolerance to them I was put on the 10Mg. Valium, and that is what I am still on. The biggest differance I noticed between Xanax and Valium is that Xanax kick in and work really fast, 5 minutes or less, but they also quit "working" in just a few hours. Valium kick in and start to work SLOW, but they keep working for 3 or 4 times as long as Xanax. So it really depends on how FAST you need them to work and how LONG you need them to keep working before ya need another one. More than it matters which is "Stronger"!! That is why Xanax is used and abused "Recreationaly" more than Valium, because Xanax hit ya hard and fast. Hope my rambling on helps!!

lanabelle is offline New Member

Default Lorazepam ? Valium or Xanax ?

Just what I am looking for.......... Flycatchingnut with experience using Valium or Xanax! Any experience with Lorazepam ?
    I have bouts of anxiety from time to time. Sometimes 7 days in 2 weeks and other times months can go by.. It is triggered by the stress of work. Doing more with less and quicker. Doc gave me prescription for Paxil but didnt want to take it everyday. I asked for valium but the doc hesitates to give it so suggested either xanax or lorazepam. Thank you in advance.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by lanabelle View Post
    Just what I am looking for.......... Flycatchingnut with experience using Valium or Xanax! Any experience with Lorazepam ?
    I have bouts of anxiety from time to time. Sometimes 7 days in 2 weeks and other times months can go by.. It is triggered by the stress of work. Doing more with less and quicker. Doc gave me prescription for Paxil but didnt want to take it everyday. I asked for valium but the doc hesitates to give it so suggested either xanax or lorazepam. Thank you in advance.

If it's only for using two - three days or so at a time then xanax would probably be best. It has the shortest half life and it's the fastest acting. It's also very addictive. I abused benzos badly for over 25 years. Be careful. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

drew0040 is offline New Member

Lightbulb JUst to add...

xanax also comes in a 3 mg. triangle shaped pill with a 3 on one side and a x on the other

lamiles3m is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by drew0040 View Post
    xanax also comes in a 3 mg. triangle shaped pill with a 3 on one side and a x on the other
    No such pill!

skylarquinn is offline New Member

Default my experience with both

i just started taking valium 10 mg 4xs a day after being on xanax 2mg 4xs a day. Now i am on a combo of both, at least for the time being, and i like the option of having a choice between the two depending on what my needs are. I have severe anxiety all day, especially in the evenings, and in reaction to environmental stress. I also have severe panic attacks that can last up to half and hour, sometimes twice a week. I like the immediate "punch" or feeling of relief of stress that Xanax gives, whereas valium has a gradual "mellow" to it. You don't feel high from valium or sleepy, just relaxed in general, and it comes on gradually (at about a 6) for longer than an hour. Xanax makes me immediately "feel something" (at about a 8), not high, but A LOT more relaxed, like i can breathe, quickly, not gradually. On the flip-side, it leaves my system in less than an hour (if not 30 min). My Dr. says that xanex 2mg bars can/should last the average person 4 hours... i don't know if it lasts shorter because of my tolerance, or is just a reflection of my anxiety... I don't know if this helps anyone, but i hope it does!

skylarquinn is offline New Member

Default My experience with xanax and valium

i just started taking valium 10 mg 4xs a day after being on xanax 2mg 4xs a day. Now i am on a combo of both, at least for the time being, and i like the option of having a choice between the two depending on what my needs are. I have severe anxiety all day, especially in the evenings, and in reaction to environmental stress. I also have severe panic attacks that can last up to half and hour, sometimes twice a week. I like the immediate "punch" or feeling of relief of stress that Xanax gives, whereas valium has a gradual "mellow" to it. You don't feel high from valium or sleepy, just relaxed in general, and it comes on gradually (at about a 6) for longer than an hour. Xanax makes me immediately "feel something" (at about a 8), not high, but A LOT more relaxed, like i can breathe, quickly, not gradually. On the flip-side, it leaves my system in less than an hour (if not 30 min). My Dr. says that xanex 2mg bars can/should last the average person 4 hours... i don't know if it lasts shorter because of my tolerance, or is just a reflection of my anxiety...BTW i like xanex white bars the best, don't ask me why, i just found they work the best and can be found at riteaide I don't know if this helps anyone, but i hope it does!

Xanax has a half life of 4-6 hours, the shortest of all benzos. Valium has the longest half life, as much as 50 hours or more. So that is why you seem to go into w/d from the xanax so quickly. It enters the system quickly but leaves quickly too. Xanax is for panic attacks. Valium is much better for general anxiety disorders. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

HappyHippyDixieChic is offline New Member

you seem to know what you are talking about , so i will throw you my question. had tumor removed and instant complete hysterectomy and a lumpectomy within 2 months (all ok )was taking care of my altz. mother for 4 years ( i quit my job and moved her in with me all other family out of state) am raising 2 grandkids 13 and 5. my daughter is shooting up roxies ,on somas zanax . i lost my mother may 2nd ( i found her ) lost my old boss ( like my 2nd dad ) may 4th . which brings me to my current place . i have mitral valve prolapes which also gives me panic attacks ,and fibro. i am not much of a medician taker . my doctor perscribed me paxil because she suspects depression , but only knows of my mother passing and medical probs. my problem starts here. i really like myself , my personality , my patients all of me !!!!! i dont want to take something that could change ME !!!!!!! i filled my perscription for the paxil but i can not take it ( 10 m ). i have done research and i found this page thus you . i have on very rare occasions taken a half of a 5 valium and my daughter made me take home with me at my mothers funeral a zanax bar ( white). i still have it . my question being since i am not willing to take paxil what would be more appropriate for me znax , valium, or ativan ? am leaning more toward valium since it doesnt ( from what i have read ) make you feel buzzed, just a gradual calming . what is your personal opion ? why i am so afraid of meds is my sister is and has been a persciption addict for as long as i can remember and my daughter is also addicted . and i dont want to turn into them. i love them but i dont think i could stay in my own body if i acted like them.

I personally don't see why drs pass out so many antidepressants to people who are simply going through some rough bumps in the road, even if they are severe. Unless a person is clinically depressed I think antidepressants are not the best choice. Of course I am not a dr and I am not prescribing medication, but unless you're having panic attacks the smallest dose of valium possible would be better for a short time than xanax which I explained above is for panic attacks. Try to not do any benzos for an extended period of time as the dependency factor is very high for all of them. Hope that helps. God bless.

Default answer to your question

Quote Originally Posted by leelee001 View Post
    Just curious how this works.I realize that BOTH are in the benzo family,and both have somewhat different ingrediants...but would you say a 10 MG Valium is basically equal to a blue 1MG Xanax...or even a pink Xanax(0.5,0.25) etc.....are Valiums basically stronger? Or Xanax?
    Xanax is a much quicker acting drug than Valium and also stronger. It has a short half life compared to Valium which has a very long half life from 50-200 hours (half life is the amt. of time it takes half the medicine to leave your body). Anyway, one blue 10mg Valium=0.50mg of Xanax. That is how strong Xanax is. I am on 2mg of Xanax 2x a day as needed. I have panic disorder and sometimes have to take one, but they are so powerful, I sometimes break them in half if I need one that bad. Xanax is stronger than Valium, but Valium lasts longer and for me at least, tends to make me a little more sleepy. Valium is self tapering b/c of its long half life, unless u are abusing them, but Xanax u have to be weened off if u have been taking them for awhile or abusing them. A Xanax withdrawal is very dangerous. It can kill u. Worse than a narcotic withdrawal off >>>>>>. It can last for weeks and is similar and even worse than an alcoholic withdrawal. All that said, Xanax is a good drug for ppl suffering from severe anxiety and panic disorder or in my case panic disorder with agorophobia and PTSD. Valium will help relax u though, and it has muscle relaxant properties in it. Xanax will def. relax u, but it does not have muscle relaxant properties associated with it, but its rapid onset can create a "high" in drug abusers or ppl seeking a high from some kind of drug. For me, Xanax thank god makes me feel like myself, normal, brings me down from a panic attack. I really wish ppl would stop abusing it. It is a good drug, but doctors are not prescribing it as much b/c too many ppl abuse it, esp. kids. At least I have a doctor that understands and has records of my hospitalization. She only gives Xanax to me and one other patient she trusts, anyone else that asks for it is denied. She will give Ativan or Valium instead b/c Xanax is the most powerful and most addicting of all the benzos. Hope this info. helps

Default wrong

Quote Originally Posted by lamiles3m View Post
    No such pill!
    Yes, there is such a pill but most pharmacies do not carry it b/c it is rarely prescribed. It is 3mg Xanax XR (extended release) and it is a blue triangle pill as it was described. My mom was on them for awhile, but now she takes Kolonopin. Trust me, this pill is real, but not prescribed too often.

Default here u go

No such pill!
    here u go. It also comes in a green triangle pill, but I have seen it in blue.

http://www.drugs.com/xanax-xr-images.html

roscoeswifey is offline New Member

Smile Stay Strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHippyDixieChic View Post
    you seem to know what you are talking about , so i will throw you my question. had tumor removed and instant complete hysterectomy and a lumpectomy within 2 months (all ok )was taking care of my altz. mother for 4 years ( i quit my job and moved her in with me all other family out of state) am raising 2 grandkids 13 and 5. my daughter is shooting up roxies ,on somas zanax . i lost my mother may 2nd ( i found her ) lost my old boss ( like my 2nd dad ) may 4th . which brings me to my current place . i have mitral valve prolapes which also gives me panic attacks ,and fibro. i am not much of a medician taker . my doctor perscribed me paxil because she suspects depression , but only knows of my mother passing and medical probs. my problem starts here. i really like myself , my personality , my patients all of me !!!!! i dont want to take something that could change ME !!!!!!! i filled my perscription for the paxil but i can not take it ( 10 m ). i have done research and i found this page thus you . i have on very rare occasions taken a half of a 5 valium and my daughter made me take home with me at my mothers funeral a zanax bar ( white). i still have it . my question being since i am not willing to take paxil what would be more appropriate for me znax , valium, or ativan ? am leaning more toward valium since it doesnt ( from what i have read ) make you feel buzzed, just a gradual calming . what is your personal opion ? why i am so afraid of meds is my sister is and has been a persciption addict for as long as i can remember and my daughter is also addicted . and i dont want to turn into them. i love them but i dont think i could stay in my own body if i acted like them.
    Hi, and I want to say first off, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother and everything else that you have been going through and I hope it all gets better for you VERY SOON! I just wanted to tell you that you are experiencing anxiety about the medications that treat it because of what you have witnessed from your sister and daughter both. I am young I will admit that right away. I am only 22 years old. But, I have been suffering from anxiety since about the age of 11. And the DR's put me on Paxil at first because traumatic events had occurred in my life that did make me become Manic Depressant. I no longer suffer from that and even then my anxiety was far more worse then my depression. Now, I am depression free, but still suffer from anxiety very badly. My DR has me taking Xanax (aprolozam) 1mg 2x daily. And it is indeed fast acting. And not long lasting. I have panic attacks and then I also have just high anxiety through out the day. But I prefer the Xanax because of my condition. From what you are saying you might want to talk to your DR. about Ativan. Or the Valium. Ativan made me very sleepy the first time that I ever took it. Xanax had the same effect, but it didn't last near as long. Valium, same but not as severe. My mother also suffers from anxiety and she takes Ativan (lorazepam) 1mg 2x daily. And she prefers it because it doesn't make her as drowsy or so called "buzzed". She says that it lasts for a while and that it also doesn't effect her ability to function as bad as other "benzos" have. So really, I would suggest that you talk with your Dr. about whatever kinds of problems you have with anxiety and see which one he recommends. It's all based on the severity of each individuals anxiety. I really hope that this helps you!! God Bless!!

Miss sugar fox is offline New Member

As an ex Xanax addict I can tell you they are alot stronger, I could have 6 Valium and wouldn't feel a thing. But 4 bricks of Xanax and I felt it. Definatly different feeling. Been clean for 5 years. Would never wish that pain of coming off that poisin on anyone

litchi123 is offline Junior Member

Valium is a comparatively powerful hypnotic (sleep inducer), whereas Xanax is less powerful as a hypnotic, but a very powerful anxiolytic. (anti anxiety)

Some folks assume that because one benzodiazepine makes you sleepier than another that this benzodiazepine is more potent than those which don't create somnolence to exactly the same degree. Frequently, the opposite holds accurate.

jsc2000 is offline New Member

I have been on Xanax highest dose years, Clonapin highest dose years. Ativan years. I was not on all 3 at the same time but can tell u xanax seems to have the stoned effect and it makes u very tired. Good for Sleeping for some. Addicts of course are going to say Xanax is strongest. But after 3 years u get used to the drug so more is needed.. My 1 choice if u have fibromalgia and pain problems is Valium brand name. It works great doesnt make u to tired and can help people with anxiety and pain problems more than Xanax. Im on Valium 3 times a day and it seems to last much longer. These are my opinions. I take Effexor 150mg and Adderal XR, Valium and Tinzadine. Great combo if u have Fibro

BeSmartBeSafe is offline New Member

I find Valium superior to Xanax for as needed relief of bad anxiety attacks. In fact, I now stay clear of Xanax. Here's why: When I take a 5 mg. Valium to 'extinguish' a bad attack there's no need or desire to take another pill the next day. Or the next. Or the next. With Xanax there's always that strong compulsion of 'needing another'. That's when addiction begins. And believe me, addiction is horrible.

Valium works 100%, it's mild, and it doesn't put me in a state of 'God I need another -- I can't live without this stuff'. Which is what Xanax does. Hence, Valium is the best and safest.
    Last edited by BeSmartBeSafe; 10-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.

chromie is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by primetimegrape View Post
    here u go. It also comes in a green triangle pill, but I have seen it in blue.

http://www.drugs.com/xanax-xr-images.html

That's xanax XR. not xanax.

mrmuffintstuffin is offline New Member

Default yes there is...and they kick ass

No such pill!
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...#q=xanax%203mg

3mg triangles are uber potent.. 8 of those equals 12 bars
    and they will >>>> your world up

mrmuffintstuffin is offline New Member

low_rida is offline New Member

Yeah. .. never heard of it here in aus