Xanax Question
    leelee is offline Member

Default Xanax Question

Do Xanax work better if you chew them up? I know they are time release....but I was just wondering if chewing them up make them more effective.
    Thanks

leelee is offline Member

Is this a tough answer or something cuz nobody wants to help me out on this one? ....please please....purty please :-}

heathconn is offline New Member

There are two ways for xanax to work more quickly and effectively. One way is to let it disolve under your tounge. It's kind of gross but it really works. The other way (which they tell you absolutely not to do) is take it with grapefuit juice. The acidity in the juice disolves them and gets them into your system in such a way that they actually issue warnings about overdosing by doing this. I've done both. The tounge thing is really good as far as not waiting so long for it to work and also making them act stronger. The grapefruit juice thing is much more plesant and they do kick them up quite a bit. People are probably afraid to answer this question because of the risks involved

I've abused both pain killers and xanax so I've worked though every trick in the book. I'm not at ALL bragging. I'm working hard to change some of these things around. The way I was using Xanax was making me have blackouts sometimes and that's NOT good.

You asked the question and I read it and decided I'd answer you since you seemed to be having trouble but I honestly went through years of serious panic attacks. I don't know if you're just using them to catch a buzz or not and I'm the last person to judge you either way. But if you're truly having panic attacks you will be better off with ativan or clonapine because neither of those drugs have the intense highs and lows but yet they relieve the same symptoms. What I found when I was actually using the xanax purely for medical reasons was I quit being able to determine what was an actual attack coming on and what was the "rebound" effect from the xanax. When your body gets used to them, you'll take them and shortly before they wear off again you begin to feel panicky. Your tolerance gets high quicly and you start feeling like you need them all day long. If you try to cut back it's about the worst withdrawal you can have, so please, please be careful. Whether your playing with them or using them for a real condition, they can quicly progrss to a nighmare.

Good luck and drop me a line to let me know how you feel.

Take good care of yourself, You know your tolerance and system better
    then any doctor or physicians desk reference. Research any and all things you are prescrbed. Many physicians are either control issue cops who are more worried about their image and not having someone thinking they overprescribe and could care less if you're in pain or panic, or they are drug pushers that want you back in once or twice a month knowing you're strung out but guaranteeing themselves business.

The best thing that could happen is that all prscriptions would be legal to buy and then the consumer would be resoponsible for educating themselves on the causes and effects. Since it's not that way now and may never be, my advise is try to be your own doctor and read as much as you can find on any medication the doctor wants you on. They've got a physicians desk reference right there in their office and they can look up your meds any time. If you'ew uncomfortable doing that then ask the pharmacist for a printout or an explanation of what it's mainly used for and a throrough list of any and all possible side effects or drug interactions and you will at least have the privilege to make an informed decision about your health.

Take good care of you,

Heather

leelee is offline Member

Ohhh....and one more question.....doesn't it kill the effect of the medication if you eat before or right after you take them?
    BTW...thank you all for the feedback,I really appreciate it.[:I]

leelee is offline Member

Thank you so much for the info Heathcon.
    I know I probably sound like a strung out junky,but the thing about it is...I have alot of physical problems and mental....and have for many years.But since I started taking Xanax not too long ago,I guess now I must be getting immune to the Xanax's,they haven't been much help.I'm back to the same stress headaches,paranoia,extremely moody.Back when they helped,It was such a blessing not to feel all those awful feelings w/ no relief at all.
    So I got some orange juice,tried it,and so far no luck.,ans I already chew them...soooooo??? May=bI'm just on the wrong med.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Lee-Lee