Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pharmd06
  • 2 Post By ARTIST658
Xanax to Klonopin transition
    silkk1991 is offline New Member

Default Xanax to Klonopin transition

I currently take about 4-5 mg of Xanax daily (one bar every 4-5 hours). Anyway, now I am prescribed to 1 mg of Clonazepam 2x daily. How will the transition be? How does the Xanax dosage compare to the other? Any further information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Silkk1991

pharmd06 is offline Member

that sounds about right. .5mg xanax is equal to .25mg of klonopin roughly. meaning u need less klonopin. 4mg of xanax then would be about 2mg klonopin.
    mardigras man 420 likes this.

BourneAgain is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by silkk1991 View Post
    I currently take about 4-5 mg of Xanax daily (one bar every 4-5 hours). Anyway, now I am prescribed to 1 mg of Clonazepam 2x daily. How will the transition be? How does the Xanax dosage compare to the other? Any further information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Silkk1991
    If you have any history of depression be really careful. I made the exact same switch your talking about and I was fine for 3 days, and then went into a completely random and deep depression while out eating dinner with about 10 of my very close friends. I almost started crying for no reason and eventually did. When I got home I actually got felt like killing myself I can't even describe the feeling. I called one of my closest friends and he came over and made me smoke some weed when he saw how I was and honestly if I didn't I don't think I would be here right now. Now I'm not promoting weed I don't smoke or drink alcohol anymore, but that was the scariest few hours of my life. I have struggled with anxiety and depression most of my life and it has came and went, but if you have any history of depression I would stay away from klonopin (Clonazepam). Seriously make sure your never alone if you do decide to start taking it. I'm not trying to scare you or anything this is just a true story it happen to me about 2 weeks ago. I just threw the pills away asap...

I'm back on Xanax and and a non narcotic (I believe) anti anxiety/depression pill that I take once a day it's a 40 MG called CITALOPRAM. And am much better now, but still feel down in the dumps from time to time, but nothing like that night. Citalopram is known to cause minor depression symptoms at first then after about a month it is supposed to get rid of it. O and I have only had minor depression before this. I've never wanted to kill myself until that day and it scared me so much It still scares me to think about how I felt.
    Last edited by BourneAgain; 01-20-2008 at 09:26 PM.

jalink is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by silkk1991 View Post

Thanks,
    Silkk1991
    Clonazepam and Alprazolam are 1:1 in dosage. See the link below.
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

I think the Doc thought of a couple things when he/she prescribed you Clonazepam. One you haven't built a tolerence up to it hence the lower dose, and two it has a half-life twice as long as Xanax hence you only take twice daily. Remember Clonazepam IS a benzo like Xanax, but is a different Drug none the less
    Peace

hotdixie72 is offline New Member

Smile klonipin

Although it is a good drug, like most other benzos, if you over take it--you will lose your memory, act like an ass, and eventually get so depressed that you won't know what hit you! I take 2mg at night only and do fine like that. I think you'll do fine as long as you aren't depressed. Best wishes and good luck.

Detoxer is offline New Member

Default Benzo's are Bad

As the director of Novus Medical Detox, some of the most difficult withdrawals are for Benzo's. They affect our natural production of GABA and many people don't metabolize them well. Xanax is only approved by the FDA for up to 8 weeks and by the British FDA for 4 weeks.

What we suggest to our patients is that they obtain a good physical from a doctor who will take the time to try to address the actual cause--not just the symptoms. One of our patients came off OxyContin and a Benzo and then got a physical. Turned out that she had a thyroid problem that once addressed resulted in a disappearance of the symptoms of anxiety.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-20-2014 at 02:35 AM.

im on both and it makes me better because the kpins have a 50-100 half life and with xanax only has a 6-12 hour half life.

Is this really true cause l take both meds everyday and i tring to learn when to take each one or take them at the same time like l do?

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

I can not imagine what kind of doctor would prescribe anyone BOTH of these drugs at the same time.

Regardless when you take one, the long half-life of both of these drugs guarantees that you always have the other drug in your body. This is very dangerous behavior. At best, you're utterly numbed to your emotions - at worse, this could put you into a coma where you slip off and die.

These are not drugs to take "casually" - they are dangerous and highly addictive. Neither of these drugs was ever intended for long-term use for anxiety. They are intended for short-term "crisis" situations. Your body is dependent upon them within a few weeks of using them regularly, and getting off them will be a nightmare. Do not stop these drugs suddenly, as it can easily lead to seizures.

If you want to do what is best for yourself, you need a doctor's supervision to taper down very slowly - as you will need an anti-seizure drug while you're tapering down. This is one of the few drugs where stopping suddenly can kill you. But using these drugs daily is completely numbing you to life. Think this through. There are a lot of safer and healthier ways to deal with anxiety.
    Iwantoff2013 and iloerose like this.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.