Why giving B-blockers to heart failure patients?
    Penicillin is offline New Member

Default Why giving B-blockers to heart failure patients?

Hello
    It's my first post and I hope that you help me.
    Why heart failure patients should take B-blockers (e.g. Atenolol) although their heart needs to be strengthened?
    Thanks

pharmd06 is offline Member

ten years ago this was a medical no no.

today it has been shown that beta-blockers help. they slow the contractility and heart rate and allow for the heart to remodel itself. they also help control blood pressure, a factor in heart failure.

pharmd06 is offline Member

direct copy from wikipedia

Although beta blockers were once contraindicated in congestive heart failure, as they have the potential to worsen the condition, studies in the late 1990s showed their positive effects on morbidity and mortality in congestive heart failure.[6] [7] [8] Bisoprolol, carvedilol and sustained-release metoprolol are specifically indicated as adjuncts to standard ACE inhibitor and diuretic therapy in congestive heart failure.

The beta blockers are a benefit due to the reduction of the heart rate which will lower the myocardial energy expenditure. This is turns prolongs the diastolic filling and lengthens coronary perfusion.[9] Beta blockers have also been a benefit to improving the ejection fraction of the heart despite an initial reduction in it.

Trials have shown that Beta blockers reduce the absolute risk of death by 4.5% over a 13 month period. As well as reducing the risk of mortality, the number of hospital visits and hospitalizations were also reduced in the trials.[9]

Penicillin is offline New Member

Thanks very much pharmd06 for helping and happy new year.