(White) grapefruit juice and clonazepam?
    plunx is offline New Member

Default (White) grapefruit juice and clonazepam?

I've recently been prescribed clonazepam from my psychiatrist for generalized anxiety disorder. I've taken it for two days now with good results.

I was talking to a friend of mine and I mentioned my new prescription, and she told me that she was once prescribed clonazepam for short-term anxiety relief after a PTSD situation and they informed her of an interaction with grapefruit juice. I personally love grapefruits and grapefruit juice, I'm just curious as to what these side-effects or interactions may be when clonazepam is combined with grapefruit juice? Thanks in advance.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Sedative medications (Benzodiazepines)
    Interaction Rating: Major Do not take this combination.
    Sedative medications can cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Grapefruit juice can decrease how quickly the body breaks down some medications. Drinking grapefruit juice while taking some sedative medications can increase the effects and side effects of some sedative medications.

It can happen, doesn't mean it will. In addition clonazepam is intended for use less than a month, short term only. If you're going to worry about something worry about becoming addicted to the clonazepam which is more addictive than lots of >>>>>> on the street. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Sweet1plum2000 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by plunx View Post
    I've recently been prescribed clonazepam from my psychiatrist for generalized anxiety disorder. I've taken it for two days now with good results.

I was talking to a friend of mine and I mentioned my new prescription, and she told me that she was once prescribed clonazepam for short-term anxiety relief after a PTSD situation and they informed her of an interaction with grapefruit juice. I personally love grapefruits and grapefruit juice, I'm just curious as to what these side-effects or interactions may be when clonazepam is combined with grapefruit juice? Thanks in advance.
    It can increase the effects of the clonazepam. I used to take it before the warning came out years ago and I drank grapefruit juice all the time. I didn't know any different. It didn't seem to effect me though. I guess it is individual