what is oxymorphone and hydromorphone?
    leana is offline Member

Default what is oxymorphone and hydromorphone?

i was wondering what opana was? it says oxymorphone, doesthat mean its oxycontin and morphine mixed together in 1 pill? if thats the case, how about hydromorphone? would that be hydrocodone and morphine mixed together? any experts here?

Cats Meow is offline Banned

No both are not combinations of the two drugs, but they are a derivative of morphine. The hydro word in hydromorphone comes from hydrogenated ketone. Oxymorphone is synthesized from morphine and oxycodone. Because they are derived or synthesized doesn't make it a combo, the actual chemistry involved is beyond me.

cameronlanni is offline New Member

Hydromorphone and Oxymorphone are completely different and unique from both each other and any other pain medication. Though they are both derivatives of Morphine, it is a completely different drug that will often work perfect for a patient where Morphine didn't work at all. So the "Morphone" part of the names means they are molecularly similar to morphine. The other part of the word (Hydro and Oxy) have nothing whatsoever to do with Oxycodone or Hydrocodone. Instead, these prefixes refer to the way the medication is synthesized. Both these medications are extremely powerful (around 6-10 times more potent than Morphine on a Milligram per Milligram bases) and are used most often in post-operation patients. Chronic Pain sufferers will sometimes be put on one of these medications in the form of a time-release pill, but generally only if all other options have been exhausted (OxyContin [OxyCodone], MSContin [Morphine], Duragesic [Fentanyl], and Dolophine [Methadone])

Hope that helps. Take care.

helpinhand is offline New Member

Oxycontin is a time release version on the analgesic opiate oxycodone and come in various degrees of MG"s(strength). There are also several Instant release versions of the same compound .

Oxymorphone is also an analgesic opiate which has been available for years commonly known as Diladid ,which is also available in various strengths and also a time released formula that is much more expensive than the instant release . These are also available in an INJ dosage ,but almost exclusively in hospitals ,ER's or Hospice care.

helpinhand is offline New Member

The 2nd paragraph above by me was intended for HYDROmorphone not OXYmorphone!!! sorry for the error! I am only an expierienced patient!