what does a "diluted" test resulte mean?
    dianimalover is offline Junior Member

Smile what does a "diluted" test resulte mean?

I am currenly on a mmt at a clinic where we give urine tests every month. A woman told me recently, that she drinks so much water that her results came out "diluted". Then they took away her take homes without re-testing.
    So I asked a nurse,[who was rushed at the time] about this, and I also explained to her at my testing time last month I couldn't "pee" right away, so i went home and drank almost a half a gallon of juice, and then a large starbuck's coffee. I had had no problems concerning dilution in my results. So I posed this question to her, how much of an intake of fluids can a person take daily without worrying about diluted test results. Which apparently have the same effects as a dirty test. First she answered, I'm not sure, everyone is different, and went on to say that a diluted test result was not necessarilary the cause of too much fluid imbibed. I intend to ask my counselor, but more often than not, at these clinics you recieve so much conflicting or outright false info., that I was wondering if anyone out there could clear the situation up for me. I would greatfully appreciate it, Diana

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Basically, it's after you've drank so much water your urine is no longer yellow, so it really depends on your weight and how well hydrated you are, of course a diluted test could also be from the addition of water in the sample.

sasquatch69 is offline Junior Member

From what I understand, dilution shouldn't be a problem with drug detection. These tests are just testing for the presence of certain drugs, diluted or not. You shouldnt be penalized for drinking a venti size Starbucks prior to giving a sample.
    Dilution can affect how many parts per million in which the drug exists, but that can vary based on liquid consumption. So I dont think its anything to worry about, unless they specifically tell you not to drink a certain amount of liquid in a given timeframe.