• 1 Post By Randy87
  • 1 Post By raspberry60
  • 1 Post By sdennisf
  • 1 Post By windsong353
  • 1 Post By lilbit47
Wellbutrin XL's new generic
    Randy87 is offline New Member

Default Wellbutrin XL's new generic

I just received my most recent reill on my Wellbutrin XL, via mail order, to find out it has gone generic. The new generic pill is huge and nothing like the brand, specifically, the matrix coating on the outside. Curious as to exactly how this new pill was going to break down, I put one in a bowl of water and 24 hours later it was a huge glob of thick goop with white powder in the middle.

It was really disgusting to look at and to touch. When I poured it down the sink it was so thick it wouldn't even go down the drain. While generic drugs have to meet specifications and criteria that meet equivilant strength, quality, purity and potency, there can be factors that can alter administration and distribution etc. which can affect it working exactly as the brand.

I have never had a problem using generics, but I do know several people who have tried them and had to go back to the brand, even at the higher cost, to get the same good result. I am significantly concerned by this new generic for Wellbutrin, Bupropion HCL XL, even though it is made by IMPAX, the leading generic pharmacutical company, because it is obviously using a differen method for the extended release then the Wellbutrin's hydrophilic matrix system that is the most commonly used extended release system. This generic does not have a polymer matrix that the brand does.

At this point, I am not willing to take a chance that this will work exactly as well and just the thought of that awful glob of gook running through my body, makes me queezy. I am willing to pay the extra 5.00 a month to keep using the brand, at least until I can learn more about the deliver system of this generic which is clearly different from the brand.

Has anyone else had their Wellbutrin XL filled with the generic yet? I am stuck with an 80.00, 90 day supply of the generic because I was not informed it went generic when I called in the refill, but I am calling my doctor today to have the Brand Wellbutrin XL called. I will be interested in hearing how other do on the generic.

hope31 likes this.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

It's going to break down completely in your stomach, you can't compare water with stomach juice.
    Why not try it out, maybe it'll work better?
    I've had Wellbutrin XL both name brand and generic, I didn't notice a difference. However I do agree there can be differences between name brand and generic to generic for some medications.

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )~~

raspberry60 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Randy87

I just received my most recent reill on my Wellbutrin XL, via mail order, to find out it has gone generic. The new generic pill is huge and nothing like the brand, specifically, the matrix coating on the outside. Curious as to exactly how this new pill was going to break down, I put one in a bowl of water and 24 hours later it was a huge glob of thick goop with white powder in the middle.

It was really disgusting to look at and to touch. When I poured it down the sink it was so thick it wouldn't even go down the drain. While generic drugs have to meet specifications and criteria that meet equivilant strength, quality, purity and potency, there can be factors that can alter administration and distribution etc. which can affect it working exactly as the brand.

I have never had a problem using generics, but I do know several people who have tried them and had to go back to the brand, even at the higher cost, to get the same good result. I am significantly concerned by this new generic for Wellbutrin, Bupropion HCL XL, even though it is made by IMPAX, the leading generic pharmacutical company, because it is obviously using a differen method for the extended release then the Wellbutrin's hydrophilic matrix system that is the most commonly used extended release system. This generic does not have a polymer matrix that the brand does.

At this point, I am not willing to take a chance that this will work exactly as well and just the thought of that awful glob of gook running through my body, makes me queezy. I am willing to pay the extra 5.00 a month to keep using the brand, at least until I can learn more about the deliver system of this generic which is clearly different from the brand.

Has anyone else had their Wellbutrin XL filled with the generic yet? I am stuck with an 80.00, 90 day supply of the generic because I was not informed it went generic when I called in the refill, but I am calling my doctor today to have the Brand Wellbutrin XL called. I will be interested in hearing how other do on the generic.

Randy, like you, my most recent refill of Wellbutrin XL is generic. (I did not expect to receive the generic after always receiving the name brand for the past 2 years.) I was also surprised by the appearance of the much-bigger pill from the name brand. I was feeling a bit skeptical due to the big difference in appearance between the name brand and generic versions.

I have been taking the generic for a week now and have not, so far, noticed any difference in how I feel. (I also have the chronic dry mouth with the generic that I had with the name brand as well.)

I quess I will stick with the generic for now instead of asking my Dr. to write "name brand medically necessary."
    hope31 likes this.

craz_chick is offline Member

I have just recently been prescribed wellbutrin xl and have not yet taken it. How do you know if it is generic or not? When I read then info given to me from the drug store I was kinda blown away by what it was for. I am taking it to replace clexa. Also my meds are paid for by pharmanet and for some reason these are not covered I am not sure the reason why.

raspberry60 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by craz_chick

I have just recently been prescribed wellbutrin xl and have not yet taken it. How do you know if it is generic or not? When I read then info given to me from the drug store I was kinda blown away by what it was for. I am taking it to replace clexa. Also my meds are paid for by pharmanet and for some reason these are not covered I am not sure the reason why.
    Name brand Wellbutrin XL is a white round pill. "Wellbutrin" is written on the pill in black print. The generic equivalent is a pale yellow oval pill, relatively large.

craz_chick is offline Member

quote:Originally posted by raspberry60

quote:Originally posted by craz_chick

Name brand Wellbutrin XL is a white round pill. "Wellbutrin" is written on the pill in black print. The generic equivalent is a pale yellow oval pill, relatively large.
    cool thanx I have the name brand then.

lrandolp is offline New Member

Wink Generic Wellbutrin

I received no warning or even a heads up that a generic Wellbutrin XL 300 mg was even available. So naturally, the last time I received my 90 day supply (prescription through the mail) it was the generic. The first thing I noticed about the generic version was the funky smell from the bottle and then how much bigger the pills are. I've take generic drugs before so I really didn't think much about the swap to generic until I realized that these pills are much harder to swallow. After a couple of weeks I also noticed that some of the symptoms that I was experieincing before I started on Wellbutrin were returning. I was listless...didn't want to do anything or go anywhere...started sleeping way more, and gained about 5 pounds in 2 weeks.

Anyway...long story short, the only thing that had changed was my prescription of Wellbutrin to a generic version, so I talked to my doctor and he wrote my new prescription for name brand only. I can't wait for that 90 prescription to run out and my new one to get here.

I have searched the internet but have not been able to find much on any differences that actual users are noticing between the generic and non generic.

I am pretty sure my insurance company is not going to be happy about me not wanting the generic version....but I don't think they want to deal with me when I am not on my meds.

DianaPB is offline New Member

Default Generic Wellbutrin

Well I am a bit relieved to read your email. I signed on to look for information about the generic Wellbutrin. In January my name brand Wellbutrin was filled with generic. I realized about 6 weeks after taking it that I was not doing well. I just went to my doctor three weeks ago and he feels sure I am having problems with the Generic. I have had this problem before with generic BuSpar. It it certainly not worth switching to generic and having a set back like I am having. I called the doctor yesterday hoping to hear when he thinks the brand name will kick back in for me and he said it will take longer than 3 weeks for the Wellbutrin to work. I wish I would have never even tried the generic. My generic pill is huge and yellow. Let me hear what else you might know about others having problems. It is good to know that I am not the only one having problems.

Janet Ruth is offline New Member

My husband has been chnaged tothe generic and has found no difference. Our drug company asks that we use the generic to cut costs. This being aside, his mood remains stable and he suffers no side effects, Persevere! Talk more openly with your therapist. If you are also engaged in cognitive therapy as well as medication, you could be looking at a trust issue. Sincerely, Jan

Janet Ruth is offline New Member

Thumbs up

Celexa is one of the newer SSRI's and is so gently put together than a lot of seniors may find themselves on this med. if they find themselves depressed. Once again the drug companies are asking that we acquiess to their request to take the generic. Some people respond to either the trade or generic, while others do not. If you do not you will be asked to pay the uncovered amount at the pharmacy. You may be able to retrieve some back on your income tax. Hope this helps. Watch your health and note any cardinal symptoms that indicate the return of the depression. Jan
    Last edited by Janet Ruth; 05-04-2007 at 10:40 PM.

calexico is offline New Member

Unhappy Also found a difference

I switched over to generic about a month ago, and since then my anxiety has been crazy high and my weight is dropping. I have constant headaches and periodic nausea (although in fairness some of that may be allergy-related).

I'm glad I read this thread. I'd been searching all over for "transition from brand name to generic" and got nothing except "it's the same". My friends have had similar problems with thyroid generics, and that's what got me thinking about my situation. Too bad it took me so long to come up with this theory - but I can't be certain the generic is really the cause until I go back to brand and see what happens.

I'll try to change back and if it works, I'll let you know. Can everyone do the same?
    Last edited by calexico; 05-06-2007 at 02:17 AM.

henry4 is offline New Member

Default wellbutrin generic

Quote Originally Posted by Randy87 View Post

I have also been taking wellbutrin for over a year with good results. Unfortunatelly when I refilled my prescription I was given this new generic. My old symptoms are reappearing and I might as well be taking nothing. I was wondering if maybe it is a placebo. I do not want to go through this process all over again. It took me approximately 3-4 weeks to get relilef from depression symptoms. Does anyone have any suggesstions. Thanks,

sdennisf is offline New Member

Default problems with generic wellbutrin

Last January our prescription drug plan switched my wife from Wellbutrin to a generic. Within days she showed noticeable symptoms of her former depression. Luckily she had some of the Wellbutrin left and switched back to the branded medication and her symptoms disappeared. Our physician wrote a new prescription with "do not substitute" (higher cost but worth every penny!) There was a story this morning on NPR about problems with generic Wellbutrin but I did not catch the source. Our physician tells me that this is a common problem with many generics but this is the first time that it has affected anyone in my family. Be interested in hearing from anyone with similar problems.
    hope31 likes this.

kzb2007 is offline New Member

I was given generic Wellbutrin a few months ago. I have no objection to generics, but I had intense headaches for about a week. My doctor switched me back to Wellbutrin.

stricco is offline New Member

Default Generic XL

Randy,

I went to see my pdoc a couple of months ago and we decided to up my Wellbutrin from 150mgs to 300mgs...but my doctor prescribed me 150mgs twice a day because the 150mgs do not come in generic yet. He said he wanted to do this because he didn't like the way the generic 300 looked either. So, I can't say I've had a personal experience with it but I've never had a doc purposefully prescribe a brand when a generic was available.

currnet is offline New Member

Сool, thanks.

poodlegal is offline New Member

Default Online Pharmacy Recommendations?

Hello All,

I have been reading the thread and realized that a great many people use online pharmacies, however, I am still very skeptical. I have been given a prescription for Wellbutrin XL which I filled at my local pharmacy for a whopping $55 for a thirty day supply.

I would like to try ordering my next refill online, so I would love any recommendations that fellow posters have on a good, reputable online pharmacy. I am concerned that the meds that I order will be sugar pills or in some other way not the correct prescription. Please post the online prescription pharmacy websites that you have found to be trustworthy (and relatively low-priced) so that I can order my next refill online. Any other helpful hints on online prescription drug ordering that you have would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot, all!!!

marketwizard is offline New Member

Default Generic Wellbutrin is BUNK!!

I used to take Wellbutrin 150xl in combination with Zoloft for those really low troughs of bipolarity. But would have to come off the Wellbutrin because after a while it works too well, taking me off onto a manic ride to the moon.

After being off of Wellbutrin for about 18 months, I asked my doc for a script. He gave me 7 days of the 150mg to start and 30 days of the 300mg. As I remembered it would, the 150mg started kicking in around day 6 and day 7 I was on my knees praying to God in gratitude for feeling a little better.

I went to Pharmacy to pick up the 300mg script and to my dismay, they were horse pills, unlike the real stuff.

After 3 days of what should have been twice the dose of the 150mg, I felt absolutely HORRIBLE. I gave the damn things two weeks and here I am today writing this email.

Teva needs a big massive double barrel class action suit shoved up their ignorant and deceiving a$$es.

I can't wait to see the headline now.

"FDA confirms Teva's generic Wellbutrin contains aspirin"

If life has value to you, under no circumstances should you settle for the insignificantly miniscule savings off the generic from Teva.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-05-2010 at 07:44 PM.

vectorizer is offline New Member

Default another anti-generic anecdote

Teenage daughter on Zoloft and Wellbutrin XL for severe depression, including suicide threats and attempts. After a long struggle, she was making decent progress, at least eliminating the suicide threats. A couple weeks after our provider switched from brand to generic Wellbutrin XL, she was going backwards, including an actual suicide attempt. My wife read an article about Wellbutrin generics and insisted on brand from psych. -- we got samples initially and then a real fill. A few weeks after switching back to brand, she was back to where she was, and today (knock on wood) we even get a couple smiles most days.

I know there are a thousand reasons for treatment regression, so the scientist in me (actually I'm an engineer) says this doesn't prove anything. But the Dad in me will certainly never go back to generic, even if I have to pay full retail.

windsong353 is offline New Member

Smile Wellbutrin XL generic...get Anchen or Watson, not TEVA

Appreciate seeing comments about the LARGE yellow generic Bupropion XL 300 mg...made by TEVA. I don't like them either. Good news: ANCHEN [in Irvine CA I believe] makes a generic that is a small round pill with A102 on it...WATSON also makes one. Looks almost like the original Wellbutrin brand pills. I notice no difference in effectiveness.

Express Scripps [mail order] currently uses ANCHEN [at least at the present time.] Check also with Prescription Solutions [mail order]. Suggest you speak to your local pharmacist or call your mail-order provider; they will be happy to tell you who they are using.

Bottom line: you can have you doc write the order specifying Buproprion XL "by ANCHEN or WATSON" or whoever "only as written" and get the small version. Good luck.
    Last edited by windsong353; 04-16-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    hope31 likes this.

mlbaustin2 is offline New Member

I am bi-polar. I tried the generic and was manic in 5 days. Under my insurance (difference between brand and generic) I am now paying $212. for a 90-day supply, but I definitely cannot use the generic. I wish that there was an appeal process to continue using brand drugs.

lilbit47 is offline New Member

I had my prescription refilled while out of town. After a couple of days, I started feeling like I was having a heart attack, major panic attacks and couldn't figure out why. After going to the emergency room, having a stress test with nothing wrong found. I somehow put two and two together and figured out on my own that I had been given a different generic brand of Wellbutrin made by Teva. After looking up the generic brand Teva on the internet, I called my regular pharmacy and asked what brand I had been taking. For three months I had been taking the Watson brand without any side effects. I have been taking Wellbutrin for two years and really didn't have any side effects to the Watson brand, but do prefer the brand however, insurance will not pay for it. (new insurance company) Anyway, I couldn't agree more with your previous post. The FDA needs to look more closely at the generics they are approving. Can someone tell me why drugs have become so much more expensice to make and why insurance has been able to take control over what your Doctor says. Why are insurance companies being allowed to over-ride the advice of our doctors? No matter what the FDA says, I still believe you get what you pay for!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-05-2010 at 07:44 PM.
    hope31 likes this.

worldinsoft is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by windsong353 View Post
    Appreciate seeing comments about the LARGE yellow generic Bupropion XL 300 mg...made by TEVA. I don't like them either. Good news: ANCHEN [in Irvine CA I believe] makes a generic that is a small round pill with A102 on it...WATSON also makes one. Looks almost like the original Wellbutrin brand viagra pills. I notice no difference in effectiveness.

Express Scripps [mail order] currently uses ANCHEN [at least at the present time.] Check also with Prescription Solutions [mail order]. Suggest you speak to your local pharmacist or call your mail-order provider; they will be happy to tell you who they are using.

Bottom line: you can have you doc write the order specifying Buproprion XL "by ANCHEN or viagra WATSON" or whoever "only as written" and get the small version. Good luck.
    Yes, completely agree.

lovemyfam is offline New Member

Unhappy

THE NEW GENERIC STINKS!!!! EVEN THE ONES THAT ARE LITTLE WHITE PILLS THAT APPEAR TO BE LIKE THE REAL STUFF. (AT LEAST FOR ME THEY DO!)The real Wellbutrin XL makes me feel like my best self---it doesn't fix any of life's problems or struggles, but it makes me my better self, which can then figure out or deal with the problems that come at me. Sure the generic does SOMETHING...but not a whole lot. FOR ME ANYWAY! MY insurance use to pay most of the cost when there wasn't a generic---then the generic came along. I tried it (my insurance preffered it---and I don't have a problem with generics so long as they are truly comparable)...and I became a complete mess! My poor family. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me, and then I got back on brand Wellbutrin, and after a few days was feeling like myself again. WHY CAN'T THE MAKERS OF WELLBUTRIN LOWER THEIR PRICE AND COMPETE MORE WITH THE GENERICS? THEY HAVE HAD YEARS OF MAKING BIG BUCKS...TO COVER COST OF RESEARCH ECT. IT SEEMS LIKE THERE WOULD BE A LOT MORE PEOPLE BUYING THE BRAND AGAIN, AND PROBABLY ENOUGH TO COVER THE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE. IT SEEMS LIKE IT COULD WORK OUT THE SAME FOR THEM---BUT MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME. I'VE BEEN PAYING HALF OF THE PRICE SINCE THE GENERIC CAME OUT (WELL WORTH IT), BUT STARTING JANUARY MY INSURANCE WON'T PAY ANYTHING FOR BRAND NAME WELLBUTRIN. NOW I'M STUCK---$250 IS MORE THAN I CAN PAY A MONTH.

flyingpenny is offline New Member

Angry concern about generic Wellbutrin

I have been on generic for 8+ years -- as Bupropion HCL XL 150 MG -- 2 weeks ago when I picked up my refill it was not the same tablet & it was a lot less money. I thought that maybe insurance substituted it..took it for 10 days -- could barely move -- was irritable -- then felt the depression coming on. The 10th day I didn't even get dressed all day. When I went back to the pharmacy they said that what I got -- Bupropion SR 150 MG was the same thing! I argued it was not -- had brought along an old pill for her to see. After much to do & 4 days of back & forth with pharmacy & my dr. office, I hope that I will get back on my correct meds. Thank goodness the pharmicist at CVS was unbderstanding; checked my files & saw that I was right about what I have been taking for years & she gave me enough for 3 days -- still waiting to get a full scrip.

We must not let drug mfg. fool around with our meds! This is not the 1st time this has happened to me with oterh generic meds. Now I insist that my dr. write the scrip exactly as it is on the scip bottle AND to list the manufacturer! It has helped! Now I will not walk away from the pharmacy without looking at the meds there & then AND will always take my old bottle AND the correct pill for them to see.

carolyn17603 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Randy87 View Post

It has been a generic for years. Unless the dr puts on the script brand name only or you request it you will be given the generic

berberloo is offline New Member

I have been taking the generic brand for about four weeks now. My doc just upped the dosage to 300 mgs a day. After taking the higher dosage for three days, I developed dizziness so severe that I couldn't go to work. In addition I had nausea, a skin rash, dry cough and flu like symptoms. I read in another website comments from people who had the same problem with the generic, but upon switching to or switching back to the brand name, all of the symptoms dissapeared. I have a call in to my doc to switch to the brand name. I'll post the results after I use it for awhile.
    Last edited by berberloo; 11-23-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling