wellbutrin - generic vs. brand name
    kinghb92 is offline New Member

Default wellbutrin - generic vs. brand name

I have been taking wellbutrin SR and am now being told that I have to use the generic form and that it is exactly the same as the name brand. I have a hard time believing this. Approximately a year or so I did try the generic version and it did not work the same for me as the name brand. I have bipolar disorder and the generic version caused me to have mood swings. I am being told that this is a "fairly new" version and it will work exactly the same as the name brand. I am wondering how long this newer version has been around and if it is, in fact the same drug I had issues with - it looks the same from what I remember. The other reason I am concerned is because I am very sensitive to even slight differences in medication. When I tried the XR version of wellbutrin it also did not work for me. any information would be appreciated. thanks

kellrx is offline Member

The older generic wellbutrin you must be refering to was the regular release, (not sustained release or SR). The Wellbutrin SR generic just came out. I would not imagine any difference in results between these two drugs. They both contain the same active ingredient, the only difference in the two is what makes up the physical tablet, (fillers, colors, binders, etc). It is a money saver and is worth trying out. If you can't tolerate it, perhaps your doctor can speak to the insurance company to get them to allow the Brand name to be used. Good luck.

verwon is offline New Member

I have recently discovered that sometimes the fillers in drugs can cause funny reactions in people sensitive to them. You may have taken the name brand Wellbutrin without a problem and then react funny to the generic because of one of the fillers, it may be an allergy or just some sensitivity that can interfere with how the drug itself works for you.
    I had never even thought of this until I switched pharmacies after we moved and the new one carried a generic of my birth control. I had used it for years since having my son without any problems and suddenly I was having cramps, heavy bleeding, diarhhea and usually bleeding 3 weeks instead of just one. I did try it for three months to try to let my body adjust to the change but I still had all the same problems.
    On my next appointment I talked to my doc and she wrote a new prescription with "brand medically necessary" on it and told me about the filler problem. It it not extremely common but it does happen to some people. Since switching back to the name brand I am doing fine again with no problems.

RoshCore is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by kinghb92

I have been taking wellbutrin SR and am now being told that I have to use the generic form and that it is exactly the same as the name brand. I have a hard time believing this. Approximately a year or so I did try the generic version and it did not work the same for me as the name brand. I have bipolar disorder and the generic version caused me to have mood swings. I am being told that this is a "fairly new" version and it will work exactly the same as the name brand. I am wondering how long this newer version has been around and if it is, in fact the same drug I had issues with - it looks the same from what I remember. The other reason I am concerned is because I am very sensitive to even slight differences in medication. When I tried the XR version of wellbutrin it also did not work for me. any information would be appreciated. thanks
    hello thank you! I've been having the same problem; I googled "wellbutrin name brand" to see if others were suffering from this same problem. I recently changed doctors and my new doctor did not assign me name brand so now i have 3 months worth of generic. agh. I'll do some more research, keep me updated on how yours is working.

CareyK is offline New Member

Default Wellbutrin SR - generic vs. brand name

I have been taking generic buproprion hcl sr for a long time ( over a year) and spent the extra money on wellbutrin sr to see what would happen. With my experience, the anti-depressant properties of buproprion hcl sr just arn't there. It seems as if I haven't been taking anything all this time. I believe I'm going to at least half my dose to get comparable results to how I was before. I can't help but wonder when the rest of the world is going to figure out that generic is not the same as brand for all medication and as just another way for drug companies to profit as if they don't profit enough already. I wondered if I was the only one that had this problem, now I see that I'm not.

CWINCAL is offline New Member

Default Generic Wellbutrin ......

I'm glad to know that there's someone else who finds that generic Wellbutrin 'doesn't work'. Supposedly, the generic has exactly the same 'properties' but that's really hard for me to believe.

For the past seven years, I've taken Wellbutrin SR and have coped reasonably well; however, recently, my Health Plan announced they will only cover generic Wellbutrin. I've tried it twice in the past few weeks and there's absolutely no doubt that I cannot function on it-----have felt 'hung-over'; extremely irritable (quite the joy to live with ....); very emotional/overly sensitive; lethargic, etc etc.

My doctor's suggestion is to maybe switch to Effexor----any advice???

Thanks.

lizdance40 is offline New Member

Talking

My son was given a different generic when the Doctor changed dosage. The pill was from a different Laboratory and was a dirrent color. It did not work. I requested pills from Lab# 1 only, and he is back on track and doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by kinghb92 View Post

Before you switch, try requesting a generic from another Lab. The generic that did not work for my son was from EON labs, the one that does work is from TEVA labs.
    Quote Originally Posted by CWINCAL View Post
    I'm glad to know that there's someone else who finds that generic Wellbutrin 'doesn't work'. Supposedly, the generic has exactly the same 'properties' but that's really hard for me to believe.

For the past seven years, I've taken Wellbutrin SR and have coped reasonably well; however, recently, my Health Plan announced they will only cover generic Wellbutrin. I've tried it twice in the past few weeks and there's absolutely no doubt that I cannot function on it-----have felt 'hung-over'; extremely irritable (quite the joy to live with ....); very emotional/overly sensitive; lethargic, etc etc.

My doctor's suggestion is to maybe switch to Effexor----any advice???

Thanks.

I'm curious. What generic were you taking. (color of pill or Laboratory it was from)????
    Quote Originally Posted by CareyK View Post
    I have been taking generic buproprion hcl sr for a long time ( over a year) and spent the extra money on wellbutrin sr to see what would happen. With my experience, the anti-depressant properties of buproprion hcl sr just arn't there. It seems as if I haven't been taking anything all this time. I believe I'm going to at least half my dose to get comparable results to how I was before. I can't help but wonder when the rest of the world is going to figure out that generic is not the same as brand for all medication and as just another way for drug companies to profit as if they don't profit enough already. I wondered if I was the only one that had this problem, now I see that I'm not.

CareyK is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lizdance40 View Post
    I'm curious. What generic were you taking. (color of pill or Laboratory it was from)????
    Mfg: IMPAX (GLOBAL) I didn't keep any tablets so I don't remember the color. Also I've noticed in addition to not needed much sleep with Wellbutrin SR (compared to buproprion hcl sr), I'm having alopecia (hair loss), so I'm quitting this med., but I'd still say this mfg. is in my opinion compared to brand, Not the same, I'd go so far to say it's akin to a placebo.

drher0628 is offline New Member

Default Generic Wellbutrin a flop for me

I started taking the Wellbutrin for 3 weeks and it was great! Compared to Lexapro that made me sleepy and queezy, I had no side effects other than lost a few pounds (that was a plus).

Then I switched to generic and it was like I wasn't taking anything. I stopped for a while then decided to try again, just to be fair. This time around I feel more depressed and anxious than I did before with added mood swings. The two are definately not alike for me., I mean, how can an anti-depressant make you feel more depressed? It makes no sense and I have yet to see any similarities. Its too bad, I can't afford the brand name and it worked so well. I just don't understand how they tested this drug and said it was basically the same. Glad to see others agree of their difference.

Anonymous Guest

I was taking Wellbutrin SR until the generic form became available. Since being on the generic product (bupropion SR) I haven't really noticed any difference in it's effectiveness. The generic I take is manufactured by TEVA. Check your Rx label to see who makes the generic that you take.

Sarabeth is offline New Member

Default Worried about generic

I'm glad this board exists. I've been taking Lexapro for over a year for anxiety/depression and it's been really helpful. But I've had a really big problem with my sex drive on the Lexapro alone, so my doctor also put me on generic Wellbutrin. I went online to try and find out if it's as effective as Wellbutrin and am worried about what I'm seeing.

Awhile ago my doctor put me on the generic Lexapro and I had to switch back because it wasn't doing anything for me. I'm worried that the same will happen with the generic Wellbutrin. I'm only on my 3rd day of taking the new med and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. I feel tired (like after taking cold medicine) and I have dry throat.

Is anyone else taking the generic Wellbutrin for a side effect to another drug?
    Last edited by Sarabeth; 11-21-2008 at 12:26 PM.

chris8258 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarabeth View Post
    I'm glad this board exists. I've been taking Lexapro for over a year for anxiety/depression and it's been really helpful. But I've had a really big problem with my sex drive on the Lexapro alone, so my doctor also put me on generic Wellbutrin. I went online to try and find out if it's as effective as Wellbutrin and am worried about what I'm seeing.

Awhile ago my doctor put me on the generic Lexapro and I had to switch back because it wasn't doing anything for me. I'm worried that the same will happen with the generic Wellbutrin. I'm only on my 3rd day of taking the new med and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. I feel tired (like after taking cold medicine) and I have dry throat.

I was taking lexapro also. I had some very nasty side effects from it. I was dizzy all the time, could not eat, and even suicidal at one point.

I got of the drug and that was not easy, it was almost like I was going into withdraw. I feel great now, and I don't think I will mess around with anymore of these magic pills anymore

Robert_325 is offline Retired

There have been some positive results treating people for loss of sex drive with wellbutrin. It isn't used when sex drive is reduced from just any reason. But there has been some success when the change in sex drive seems to be related to the use of other antidepressant medications as in your case.

I can't say for sure that the generic will work the same on you as the name brand. But it certainly should. There is not supposed to be too much difference. They are allowed legally for a minor difference, can't say for sure what that is for wellbutrin. But it should work the same as the name brand. Please let us know the outcome in your situation. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 11-29-2008 at 01:51 AM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Sarabeth .... I forgot when replying above it was you that I previously discussed with the wellbutrin being used for sex drive. LOL I forget sometimes there are a lot of conversations. Hope you are beginning to see some success soon. Take care.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 11-29-2008 at 03:09 AM.

biztec is offline New Member

Default Generic Wellbutrin vs Wellbutrin XL

I took Wellbutrin XL for a couple of years without any problems. Then one January my insurance company no longer covered anything but the generic. I thought WTH, might as well try it. Within three months I was extremely depressed, even more than I was before I went on anti-depressants. I had the doctor indicate non-generic on my rx, started back on the real stuff, and was feeling better in no time.

My reaction was so bad I filed a complaint with the FDA. They call generics "bioequivalent" but their standards allow a pretty large margin as regards the strength of the medication. I know people blame the reactions on fillers, but I've never had a negative reaction to a generic before in my life.

Araminta is offline Member

Hi all,

I was reading the board http://www.crazymeds.us/last night and quite a lot of people seemed to be having problems with Teva's generic Wellbutrin XL, but not necessarily with their SR.

It's a good resource for looking into these kind of meds.

Ara

P.S. From my experience and those of my friends, quite a lot of generics work differently (which is to say "not as well") than the name brand. This can be a huge problem with bipolor disorder, heart problems, and well, I don't really like it when my pain medicines don't work either. Just my 2 cents.

leelee is offline Member

Thumbs up Wow!

I have ALWAYS thought that since a pharmacist once told me that ALL meds...whether it's generic are the actual brand were ALL the same.He said that generics were just made by a company that was less costly....but NOW I see that even w/ this particular med,that they are NOT all the same.
    I'm glad I read this.
    This has been a real eye-opener for me.
    Thanks.

operagirl53 is offline New Member

Default Change in generic Wellbutrin

I'm "operagirl53, and a new member of the Drugs.com discussion group. I have read posts by people and feel as though I'd like to put my experiences in as well.

After having read comments about the new generic form of Wellbutrin, I have the following experience to report:

I have been on Wellbutrin generic, both the 75mg tab and the 150 SR tab for at least 12 years. Now, our insurance company is sending me a new generic of the Wellbutrin.
    I just realized that my recent change in behavior is correlated w/ the timing of the change in generics. I'm really sensitive to any change in medications.
    I spoke w/ the insurance company's supply of the medication, and they reported that the previous generic is no longer available.
    My concern is not only that I'm having major behavior changes, but also that I may have to purchase the non-generic Wellbutrin, which must be quite expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    operagirl53

newyork21 is offline New Member

Default generics vs. brand names

it is an unfortunate misconception that brand names and generics are equivalent; they are not.

for many conditions, many patients can do well with either.

however, there are also several debilitating conditions, and certain patients for whom, the brand name formulations of drugs are consistently more effective, with fewer side effects. this is not really a surprise. the FDA rules allow a generic drug to have about 70% of the bioavailability of the parent drug.

if you notice a significant difference, it is important to mention it to your MD. and then go to bat with the insurance companies.

n.b i am a healthcare professional (psychiatrist)
    Last edited by newyork21; 06-11-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: added information

wilcoxfood is offline New Member

Default wilcoxfood

I have been taking welbutrin for about 4 years. I'm kinda puzzled about all this genaric business. Some say the pills they are taking are large yellow ones that are genaric. Mine are genaric, I think< because Medicare wouldn't pay for Welbutrin I guess. Mine are Bupropion HCL XL, and they have black ink on one side that says--WPI 3331--I guess my question is, are my pills genaric. They are the same size little white pills that I used to take about two years ago. I have'nt noticed any difference although my wife said that when they changed the prescrition she noticed a change in me. I can't say there has been any change, I'm still as I was except I get a tremor or shackiness in my hands once in awhile. I'm 73 years old, guess I can get shakey once in awhile.

kcr13 is offline New Member

I've read the whole thread 4 this topic & the 1 that I identify most w/is kinda old. Just hoping some1 can answer my question. I've been on lexapro 4 the last 2 yrs w/minimal side effects or problems until recently. My mood swings have started getting bad again & I didn't wanna up my dosage anymore so I asked my doctor about trying another medication. He suggested wellbutrin b/c he knows my husband & I r trying 2 get pregnant & he said wellbutrin would b safe 2 take even during my pregnancy. I started taking the generic form of wellbutrin sr 150 mg once a day last tuesday. @ 1st I didn't notice any side effects accept that when I smoked it tasted awful! (Not necessarily a bad thing since I've been meaning 2 quit anyways.) However, since friday I have been having really bad night sweats & experiencing the most awful dizziness! I tried 2 deal w/it @ 1st thinking that it would go away as my body got used 2 the drug, but 2day @ work it was absolutely unbearable! I'd almost lose my balance if I moved 2 quickly & when I walked it felt like my legs were asleep & my knees wanted 2 buckle. I don't wanna give up on it bc of all the benefits I think it could have 4 me, but @ this point the side effects way outweigh the benefit. Could switching 2 the name brand reduce the side effects?

ucantbserious is offline New Member

Default No they are NOT the same

[B]
    I hate to tell those who really really believe that all the meds are the same they are NOt!!! Yes, doctors do want you to believe this, however i have been told by a professional that a generic does have fillers. These fillers DO sometimes have issues with people such as myself, not to mention drugs in the same category: ie for depression, pain, etc. Believe what you want, and be happy with your decision. I just must state what i have learned thru tiral and error, the truth. Yes, i believe my own truth, so as you must believe yours. Experience is the best lesson, question anything you do not understand, and be kind to yourself and ask ask ask and ask again. Stand for what you believe, yes i know there is always room for error in our own beliefs, my body tells me what is right. Best to you
    Last edited by ucantbserious; 09-12-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added to finish sentence