vicodin & tylenol w/ codeine
    terryford is offline New Member

Thumbs down vicodin & tylenol w/ codeine

Are these the same thing?
    I had good pain releif in my back with tylenol w/ codeine and now discover my new prescription is for vicodin. I asked the pharmacy and beleive it or not they weren't sure.
    Are they the same?

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

They are not exactly the same thing, but they are very similar. I believe the real difference is that the vicodin contains a synthetic opiate (hydrocodone) rather than actual codeine. If it's a question of pain relief, I would guess that the vicodin would be as effective as the Tylenol with codeine, if not more so. Just my personal experience, though: I'm not a doctor or a chemist.

Take care!

Smile The pharmacist SHOULD know, but maybe not the tech

Regular strength Vicodin contains hydrocodone and APAP (acetaminophen AKA tylenol) 5mg of hydrocodone/500 mg of tylenol. Tylenol #3 aka tylenol with codeine has 30mg of codeine and 300 mg of tylenol (there is a tylenol #2 with different strength of the codeine of but I dont recall ever hardly seeing it in practice). So NO, they are not the same. The difference? Well without divulging deep into chemistry the hydrocodone is a stronger pain reliever than straight codeine. Please, please be careful with either drug most importantly (and maybe suprisingly) because of the tylenol in each pill. Do NOT exceed 4,000 mg/day of tylenol because it can cause severe toxicity to the liver and even death (not even kidding). Hope this helps.

-The doc