Is Valium a derivative of valerian root?
    Kiana is offline Junior Member

Default Is Valium a derivative of valerian root?

I was wondering if valium was a derivative of the herb valerian root. I have often heard valerian called "natures valium.
    Any info would be appreciated. [:I]

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

no, valium is a chemical made up pill....Dave

Stallion is offline Senior Member

From an old alt.drugs post archive thrrough erowid (origion unknown):

Valerian contains a wide variety of substances (none of them chemically resemble Valium or any of the other benzodiazepines). One fraction contains volatile oils, mainly terpene-like substances and isovaleric acid (a short-chain fatty acid.) There is also a class of compounds known as valepotriates, consisting of a 5-member ring abutting a 6 member ring, with one of the 6 being oxygen. Off of the rings are a variety of short chain carboxylic acids, esters, and alcohols. Some of them contain a highly energetic epoxy group. There are also very small amounts of a few nitrogenous alkaloids which are not believed to contribute to valerian's sedative effecthe effects of valerian do bear some resemblance to diazapam intoxication, but they are in no way chemically related.
    In related news, trace amounts of diazapam (valium) have been found in potatoes and in cerial grains. Talk about nature's Valium!

Information = Freedom

Kiana is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I was quite sure Valium was not a derivative of valerian, but some question was raised. I am an herbalist, and have studied herb and their chemicals for years and teach classes on herbs all the time. However I am not into pharmaceuticals, and found a site that stated it was a derivative. I wanted to be definetly sure before I emailed the site with the misinformation. Needless to say I won't be returning to that site.
    Thanks for the help.

SUZY is offline New Member

MY FRIEND GAVE ME A COUPLE OF VALIUM
    I TOOK THEM WHEN I WENT TO BED
    TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT THE
    NEXT DAY IS THE BEST IVE FELT GOT UP REAL EARLY GOT ALOT OF STUFF DONE SO MY QUESTION IS ?
    HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT GETTING A PRESCRIPTION
    AND WHAT ARE THEY FOR CAUSE ITS THE BEST IVE FELT IN A LONG TIME THANKS FOR ANY INFORMATION

SUNSHINE