Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31
Like Tree3Likes
ultram vs loratab vs percocet
  1. #1
    lulu12 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    34

    Default ultram vs loratab vs percocet

    Hi Can you explain the difference in these my sister and I are in big debate.. I say ultram isnt near as strong as percocet she says it's stronger. Does anyone know the relation?
    des

    speak kindly! Karma my friend!

  2. #2
    girlie girl is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    169

    Default

    In my own experience ultrams have been weaker than percs. Hope this helps.

    Girlie Girl

  3. #3
    zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    The active drug in Ultram is Tramadol, a non-narcotic. The others all contain narcotics, Percocet contains Oxycodone, and Lortab contains Hydrocodone.



    My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~
    anjeegyrl likes this.

  4. #4
    Dr. Watson is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Wrong...Ultram is a narcotic it is much weaker than percocet and Lortab. It is given often for long term use because it has very little euphoric effect.

  5. #5
    putyounacoma is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    3

    Default

    quote:Originally posted by Dr. Watson

    Wrong...Ultram is a narcotic it is much weaker than percocet and Lortab. It is given often for long term use because it has very little euphoric effect.
    No your wrong[B)] Dr Watson it is a non narcotic. http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c...ed/med042.html

    Your not a real Doctor are you?

  6. #6
    lulu12 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Narcotic or not it aliviated my withdraw from narcotics and then again from Methadone! I took meth for 10 months and cold turkey quit no percs, no tabs, no vicodine!!! suffering and 12 meezly ultram...I would put money in the researchers ****ed up and it's definatley either narc or very extremely closly related! That's where I put my 10 years of pill addiction money at!

    Des
    clean now for weeks stopped counting days!![)]

    speak kindly! Karma my friend!
    anjeegyrl likes this.

  7. #7
    putyounacoma is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    3

    Default

    quote:Originally posted by deskev

    Narcotic or not it aliviated my withdraw from narcotics and then again from Methadone! I took meth for 10 months and cold turkey quit no percs, no tabs, no vicodine!!! suffering and 12 meezly ultram...I would put money in the researchers ****ed up and it's definatley either narc or very extremely closly related! That's where I put my 10 years of pill addiction money at!

    Des
    clean now for weeks stopped counting days!![)]

    speak kindly! Karma my friend!
    Congratulations you are free and on the road to freedom. I wish i was and will try to do the same. My doctor gave me a handfull of samples and if they worked for you I will try it also. Thanks for the heads up.

  8. #8
    zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Thanks putyounacoma, Ultram is non-narcotic. One of the reasons it can help with withdrawals, is because it is a pain reliever, and part of the withdrawal problem from other drugs, is the pain, and cramping that results.



    My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

  9. #9
    kirby is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Tramadol is a weak opioid.

    From the Ultram prescribing info at rxlist.com:

    ULTRAM is a centrally acting synthetic opioid analgesic. Although its mode of action is not completely understood, from animal tests, at least two complementary mechanisms appear applicable: binding of parent and M1 metabolite to µ-opioid receptors and weak inhibition of reuptake of norepinephrine and serotonin.

    Opioid activity is due to both low affinity binding of the parent compound and higher affinity binding of the O-demethylated metabo-lite M1 to µ-opioid receptors. In animal models,M1 is up to 6 times more potent than tramadol in producing analgesia and 200 times more potent in µ-opioid binding. Tramadol-induced analgesia is only partially antagonized by the opiate antagonist naloxone in several animal tests. The relative contribution of both tramadol and M1 to human analgesia is dependent upon the plasma concentrations of each compound (see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY, Pharmacokinetics).

    Tramadol has been shown to inhibit reuptake of norepinephrine and serotonin in vitro, as have some other opioid analgesics. These mechanisms may contribute independently to the overall analgesic profile of ULTRAM. Analgesia in humans begins approximately within one hour after administration and reaches a peak in approximately two to three hours.


    I'm not a pharmacist or a medical doctor. This message is not medical advice nor is it an offer to provide medical advice. All drug identifications should be validated by a licensed MD or pharmacist.

  10. #10
    lulu12 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    34

    Default

    [quote]Originally posted by zippysgoddess

    Thanks putyounacoma, Ultram is non-narcotic. One of the reasons it can help with withdrawals, is because it is a pain reliever, and part of the withdrawal problem from other drugs, is the pain, and cramping that results.



    Please take no disrespect from this comment but BULL **** I took every NON narcotic pain killer you can spell when I went through this and NONE DID ****!! On day 6, You know the day you want to stick your head in one of those sausage grinders yea that one I took 5 ULTRAM, TRAMADOL AFTER about 9 hours after killing a 30 pill bottle of motrin and half a pharmacy full of NYTOL>> ULTRAM WORKED!!!!!!!!
    I dont care what who says I've been popping anything I can reach for the last 10 years of my life I've withdrawn more times that I'd like to remember NEVER THAT LONG! Ultram aliviated it because it's an opiod!! Thats it that's all!!
    Now I have to tell you however hard the physical pain is It doesnt come close to compensating the MENTAL TORTURE that I'm going threw now.. But MIND OVER MATTER!!!
    GOOD LUCK DOPIES IF i can do it so can you,

    DESAREE

    speak kindly! Karma my friend!

  11. #11
    Heino is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Back before I coming to this country, liebe mutter send me to one blind hedge-trimming midget of a gardener aus Dusseldorf for haircut. His name was Otto and he was addict for percocet many year. I recommend not to taking this things and to get natural high, like I get when listening to other people's music.

  12. #12
    dizzy23 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    537

    Default

    quote:Originally posted by Dr. Watson

    Wrong...Ultram is a narcotic it is much weaker than percocet and Lortab. It is given often for long term use because it has very little euphoric effect.

    Sorry Dr.Watson,Ultram is not a narcoticYou can have withdrawals from meds that are not narcotic and you can become depended on them.

  13. #13
    cointreau is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default It is a 'narcotic'

    nar·cot·ic (as a noun 1. & 2.; as adj. I.)
    1. An addictive drug ... Natural and synthetic narcotics are used in medicine to control pain.

    2. A soothing, numbing agent or thing

    I. Inducing sleep or stupor; causing narcosis.

    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/narcotic

  14. #14
    Mike VG is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    547

    Default Perc vs Ultram

    Percocet is stronger than Ultram. Percocet is an actual derivative of Opium (if you will). Ultram (Tramadol) is a synthetic drug that gives some of the pain benefits of the opiates.
    GriffSS
    Mike VG

  15. #15
    circa9870 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Everyone who is saying that Tramadol (Ultram) is not a narcotic has know idea what they are talking about. It was marketed as a less addictive opioid because it acts differently than most other opioids and the pharmaceutical company that made it said that it was non-addictive. However, chemically, it is an opioid, and people have become ADDICTED to it, not simply dependent on it, just like any other type of opioid. The only difference between tramadol and any other opioid is that tramadol is very weak, and a few other things other than that are different but I wont go into that because they arent really relevant. But yes Tramadol IS a narcotic and people do not only become dependent on it but become actually addicted to it, just like people do to Lortab or Percocet, it is just less likely with tramadol because it is so weak. I have heard it is going to be scheduled soon because the FDA/DEA has found out about all the people who have been getting high from Tramadol and getting addicted to it. IT IS A NARCOTIC JUST LIKE ANY OTHER OPIOID, despite what you read on those stupid websites. Not everything on the internet is true you know.

    I hope this clears some things up for you people who dont think it is a narcotic. For the main question the Ultram/tramadol is much weaker than percocet, there is no doubt about that, it is also much weaker than Lortab.

    By the way GriffSS the opioid in percocet,oxycodone, is not present in opium but is made synthetically, just like Tramadol is. Oxycodone may technically be a semisynthetic, but either way it is not present in opium and that has nothing to do with the chemicals strength anyway. Very few opioids that are used in medicine are found in opium, only Morphine and Codiene, so really the strongest opioids are actually synthetic, like Methadone, Fentanyl, Oxymorphone, Hydromorphone, and Levorphanol. My point is whether or not something is synthetic or natural has nothing to do with its strength or how well it treats pain.

    I hope everyone has a pain-free day,
    Circa
    Last edited by circa9870; 09-22-2007 at 05:47 PM.

  16. #16
    sunkissed35678 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by putyounacoma View Post
    No your wrong[B)] Dr Watson it is a non narcotic. http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c...ed/med042.html

    Your not a real Doctor are you?
    maybe b4 ur mean u should read all of what your looking at...
    While Ultram is technically a narcotic or opioid pain medication

    http://www.spine-health.com/treatmen...-pain-reliever

  17. #17
    mgl
    mgl is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    35

    Default Ultram vs other opioids

    Compared with opioids, tramadol (Ultram) does not induce significant respiratory depression, constipation, or have significant abuse potential.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-26-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    Fibromaniac likes this.

  18. #18
    Sgt.Anger is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lulu12 View Post
    Hi Can you explain the difference in these my sister and I are in big debate.. I say ultram isnt near as strong as percocet she says it's stronger. Does anyone know the relation?
    des

    speak kindly! Karma my friend!
    Your sister doesnt know what shes talking about..Percocet is stronger in its effects than ultram..Ultrams like a tylenol 3 probably weaker..Lets put it this way 15 ultrams equals one 5 mg percocet..Dont believe me you got the internet look it up..

  19. #19
    klavacus is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1

    Unhappy

    not sure what to believe....very contradicting info. I get 120 percocet per month while waiting for shoulder surgery, yet i had surgery on my hand yesterday, and the Dr gave me 35 ultracet because he told me "the percocet would not be strong enough."
    Also, reading the inplet states that ultacet is not to be taken for more than 5 days due to high chance of dependantcy. It also states some pretty serious side effects and OD warnings including coma and death.
    Think I'll stick with the Percs.

  20. #20
    PamRN is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Tramadol is a quasi-narcotic analgesic used in the treatment of moderate to severe pain. It is a synthetic analog of codeine, but has a low binding affinity to the mu-opioid receptors.

    Hope this clarifies it for everybody

  21. #21
    anjeegyrl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Watson View Post
    Wrong...Ultram is a narcotic it is much weaker than percocet and Lortab. It is given often for long term use because it has very little euphoric effect.
    What makes ultram a narcotic? i thought it was just an analgesic.

  22. #22
    anjeegyrl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lulu12 View Post
    Narcotic or not it aliviated my withdraw from narcotics and then again from Methadone! I took meth for 10 months and cold turkey quit no percs, no tabs, no vicodine!!! suffering and 12 meezly ultram...I would put money in the researchers ****ed up and it's definatley either narc or very extremely closly related! That's where I put my 10 years of pill addiction money at!

    Des
    clean now for weeks stopped counting days!![)]

    speak kindly! Karma my friend!
    I am happy to hear this I was recently written a prescription for ulrtam because of chronic pain. I was wondering how did it help alleviate your withdraw from narcotics? Did it just help alleviate the symptoms of withdraw? Or did it make you feel like you didn't need narcotics anymore? I am NOT currently taking any narcotics but have in the past and know that I enjoy the euphoric effect when I am in a lot of pain... so I am wondering if ultram will help prevent me from needing that??? What do you think? I value any thoughts.

    Ang

  23. #23
    Doctor Ann is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Tramadol

    Quote Originally Posted by circa9870 View Post
    Everyone who is saying that Tramadol (Ultram) is not a narcotic has know idea what they are talking about. <snip>I have heard it is going to be scheduled soon because the FDA/DEA has found out about all the people who have been getting high from Tramadol and getting addicted to it. IT IS A NARCOTIC JUST LIKE ANY OTHER OPIOID, despite what you read on those stupid websites.
    Tramadol is not a narcotic like other narcotics. It does not (or rarely) produce a feeling of euphoria (a "high"). It does bind to to the opioid receptors but 2/3 of its effects are caused by other means such as affecting neurotransmitters.

    See:
    Korean J Pain. 2010 Jun;23(2):99-108. Epub 2010 May 31.
    Pharmacologic management of chronic pain.
    Park HJ, Moon DE.
    Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, School of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea.
    "Although the mode of action of tramadol is not completely understood, tramadol is a drug with a dual activity: one-third of its activity is due to an opioid-like mechanism and two-thirds are due to a mechanism similar to amitriptyline. ... [12]. Tramadol has proven effective to treat osteoarthritis (OA), fibromyalgia (FM), and neuropathic pain (NP)

    Drugs Today (Barc). 2008 Nov;44(11):827-36.
    Tramadol: basic pharmacology and emerging concepts.
    Reeves RR, Burke RS.
    SourceMental Health Service, G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery VA Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, USA.
    "While abuse of tramadol may occur, several large studies have demonstrated that the incidence of abuse is rather low, about one case per 100,000 patients."
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-24-2011 at 04:49 PM.

  24. #24
    Candletone is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Tramadol

    I am not a physician or pharmacist, but I do work in the medical profession. Any medications that require prescriptions should be under the guidance of a physician and or pharmacist and one should follow the directions for its use.

    In reference to Tramadol, that drug IS a narcotic. Just because it is a synthetic narcotic doesn't mean that it isn't a narcotic. It would not be tested in pre-employment drug screenings if it were not. It just works differently. It doesn't have the euphoric affect that comes when taking opioid drugs although it does have similar properties. Anyone can become addicted to these drugs especially when abused or taken over a long period of time.

    If used correctly and done under the guidance of a physician, it should be beneficial in pain relief. I also say that ANY medications that are taken for pain relief can be misused and abused if not taken correctly.

    I agree with Dr. Watson and Dr. Ann's posting. If anyone questions what type of classification it is, first ask your physician prescribing the drug or look it up in a PDR. You will find your answer there. What you choose to believe is your decision. Any prudent person should know what they are taking. Go to a reputable source. It's your body and your life.

  25. #25
    Alienn is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Candletone View Post
    I am not a physician or pharmacist, but I do work in the medical profession. Any medications that require prescriptions should be under the guidance of a physician and or pharmacist and one should follow the directions for its use.

    In reference to Tramadol, that drug IS a narcotic. Just because it is a synthetic narcotic doesn't mean that it isn't a narcotic. It would not be tested in pre-employment drug screenings if it were not. It just works differently. It doesn't have the euphoric affect that comes when taking opioid drugs although it does have similar properties. Anyone can become addicted to these drugs especially when abused or taken over a long period of time.

    If used correctly and done under the guidance of a physician, it should be beneficial in pain relief. I also say that ANY medications that are taken for pain relief can be misused and abused if not taken correctly.

    I agree with Dr. Watson and Dr. Ann's posting. If anyone questions what type of classification it is, first ask your physician prescribing the drug or look it up in a PDR. You will find your answer there. What you choose to believe is your decision. Any prudent person should know what they are taking. Go to a reputable source. It's your body and your life.
    It's really sad that it took 24 posts to clear that up, even while ON a website that provides ALL of the information for you...

  26. #26
    jomomo59 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I have been on all three I have constant pain due to fibromyalgia and severe rhuemotid arthritis. I can tell you from experience, ultram does not good and for the record it is NOT a narcotic - I do not like taking Lortab, which has long ago lost its effect. However, in todays world of pain management due to over prescribing of things like Lortab and the wonderful world of drug addicts, I along with many many thousands of others must suffer from pain or pay the addition 40 to 100 a month for pain management as a co-pay along with my routine doctor.

  27. #27
    jerst is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Kirby knows his stuff...tramadol binds weakly at the u receptor..and inhibits reuptake of serontonin and norepi...I have been taking it since being rear ended at a red light last April.2012...While certainly nowhere near as powerful as the percocet I was given for a few weeks, and than Vicodin for a few months...I still feel better when I take it than when I do not

    Check with your pharmacist or Doctor for a professional opinion

  28. #28
    matthewebbert is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    the ultram and the lortab work great. By adding the Ultram, it allowed me to take less of the lortab. If used correctly and done under the guidance of a physician, it should be beneficial in pain relief.

  29. #29
    Mzheatherxo is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Actually you are wrong. Ultram is a non narcotic but acts much like a narcotic. Alot of patients with kidney problems take it as well as long term pain patients. It acts the same minus the severe addiction and the hydro condone. The FDA doesn't consider it a controlled substance.

  30. #30
    Beefcake2727 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    451

    Default

    This is actually an old post. Regardless, whether tramadol is a narcotic or not, we've learned from experience on this site that it is indeed addicting. Not only does it cause withdraw like percocet, Vicodin, or other opiates but the withdraw seems to be worse and more along the lines of a benzo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22