Ultram with Paxil and/or Celexa??
    tiredmom65 is offline New Member

Default Ultram with Paxil and/or Celexa??

Hi new to this forum and am so thankful for it!! My husband and I are weaning off some pretty heavy duty opiods and are looking for a pain med. alternative (both have issues). We have done some research and think Ultram may be a perfect solution to our pain, but maybe not so perfect since he is on 20 mg. of Paxil and I am on 20 mg. of Celexa (per day). My DH's internist stated the combo of ultram and paxil is not ideal (due to the serotonin component). We are frustrated and hoping we can find that although this MAY be true, it still can be done.

Any comments, thoughts would be soooo helpful. Thanks!!

Tramadol is a very good drug overall for mod-severe pain which has some action on opioid receptors (mainly the mu receptor) in the body which would be good since you've been on high doses of opioids so I can understand where you are coming from. I am not one to say never ever about ANYTHING. However, this is definitely not a good idea not only because of the risk of serotonin syndrome (excess serotonin in the synpases of central and peripheral nervous system because this drug acts on serotonin and other neurotransmitters besides opioid receptor mentioned above) which can be life-threatening, but also fairly high risk of seizures as well is another important risk by taking both (with either celexa or paxil). So I definitely agree with your doctor that it is not a good idea at all.
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B

LEGMAKER is offline New Member

I am currently taking 300mg of ultram er and 75mg of paxil cr, at one time I took 1800 gabapetin, 100 lyrica, buspar, to get my ptsd under control. I have had some issues with ultram and paxil together, what did your doctor say other options were?

ccs714 is offline New Member

Default Celexa and Ultram

Unless you get easily drowsy by meds, you should be OK on 20mg once a day. I take 20mg Celexa once, and 2 Ultrams 3 times a day.I also take clonazepam 2mg 3 x a day and 10mg ambien for sleep. It does not over sedate me, but I have taken a lot of sedatives in the past.Watch it closely the first couple of days. If you feel a lack of energy to complete task you use to do, cut the Ulyram in half and no more than every 6 hours. Still feel negative effects ..STOP, and tell your Dr.

Carl