Trying to find a replacement for Vioxx
    gimpyjan is offline New Member

Default Trying to find a replacement for Vioxx

I had been on anti-inflamatory drugs for about 10 years and Vioxx for last 3 years. Vioxx worked wonderfully for me. But since it was taken off the market, my doc put on naproxen, 500mg twice daily. Now I find that I have a constant headache and nausea. I suffer from Patellofemoral Syndrome, Sacroiliitis and Tendonitis of the right thumb.
    I would appreciate any feed back on other anti-inflammatory drugs and the side effects.
    Thanks.
    Jan

marianna is offline Junior Member

Hi Jan

You didn’t say which anti-inflammatory drugs you had taken prior to the Vioxx and if they caused you any problems.

Unfortunately, most traditional anti-inflammatory drugs have the potential to cause stomach upsets (and even stomach ulcers in some cases). Taking the naproxen with food (ideally immediately after a main meal), milk or even with an antacid may reduce the chance of stomach upsets.

Headaches are also a possible side effect of anti-inflammatory drugs, though ibuprofen appears to have less incidence of headaches as a side effect than naproxen.
    It is also okay to take acetaminophen (example Tylenol) at the same time as naproxen to relieve the headaches if you can't solve the problem.

There is a page at Drugs.com that lists all the traditional Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs at
    http://www.drugs.com/cons/Anti_infla...steroidal.html

Damsel is offline New Member

I took bextra and had no issues, see what your physician says about it?

Damsel