Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MedicallyChallenged
TOPAMAX FOR BIPOLAR DISORDER
    lisa6073 is offline New Member

Default TOPAMAX FOR BIPOLAR DISORDER

DOES ANYONE TAKE TOPAMAX FOR MANIC DEPRESSION? I WAS STARTED ON IT ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO AND LIKE IT ALOT. I LOST ABOUT 20 POUNDS FROM IT. I'VE BEEN HEAVY FOR YEARS AND THE WEIGHT LOSE MAKES ME FEEL GOOD. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS SLEEPING AT NIGHT. MY DR. GAVE ME SEROQUEL FOR THAT. THE TOPAMAX REALLY HELPS WITH THE HIGHS AND LOWS. MY DR. SAYS IT ISN'T PROVEN YET TO BE A BIPOLAR MEDICATION. BUT SAID WE COULD TRY IT. I'VE BEEN BIPOLAR FOR THE LAST 14 YEARS AND ON MANY DIFFERENT MEDS, THIS ONE SEEMS TO BE DOING THE BEST FOR ME.[:I]

TOPAMAX 25MG, SEROQUEL 25MG

needle11 is offline New Member

I have been on topamax for 6 months and it has changed my life. I'm down 25lbs and have 50 left to go, and with Topamax, I feel it is do-able now, and I feel normal. I was diagnosed with depression 15 years ago and have been on every antidepressant there is, I just never felt right. When I had my bipolar diagonosis and the new meds, everything clicked. Topamax at 200mgs a day (100 in the morning and 100 at night) is perfect for me.

My husband and I even have to find new ways to fight. I communicate differently and everything. I know now what it feels like to have normal reactions to normal situations and not have everything blown out of proportion.

zebbian is offline New Member

I was put on Topamax with seruqul for sleeping also. I weigh about 110, I'm only 27, been bipolar as long as I'm aware, so for me it's a mode of life. I know no other way, so I haven't seen the other side of the fence... fine by me at this point. The topamax isn't helping me any. Too many side effects, and the seroquel makes me sleep for nearly 12 hours when I take it. So I'm still an insomniac, only now I'm still stuck taking the topamax since it's an anti-seizure, I know I can't just quit. My question would be, how fast can I taper off it? I've been taking it for 3 months now, already lost 10 lbs, my face and tongue are numb every day, and I feel like I'm tripping most the time too. Was fun for a week or so, but not anymore. So should I reverse the instructions I was given to start taking it and just slowly lower my doses till I can stop? I just don't want to stop too fast and start having seizures. Happened to a friend of the family when a doctor put him on anti-seizure drugs when he didn't have seizures. (which I never did until I started taking topamax...) top things off, the people who make it can't even say how it works... that just plain scares me. Would you buy a car without breaks because it just stopped on it's own when it needed to stop? I don't think so...
    maybe I'm just weird that way, but ahwell... I'm glad it works for the two of ya so well...

LadyLorraine69 is offline New Member

I have been taking Topomax for manic depression for 1 year and a half years. Seroquel for sleep has worked fine. Ambien for nights that nothing works. I highly recommend Topomax because I am now in my first year of graduate school and doing fine. Never thought I could even sit in a classroom. I am truely happy now. I have lost over 65 pounds and look fantastic. My outlook is bright and cheerful and I am no longer paraniod all of the time. It is a miracle medication and you will see the benefits with in six month period. Be patient! It will happen for you.......LadyLorraine69

Lorraine Arnold

mrnobody is offline New Member

I am happy to have found this forum. I began topomax 2 days ago after 4 months on trileptal. I had put on so much weight and was so uncomfortable on trileptal that I was very discouraged. I was taking the highest dose and it wasn't doing much for me. My doctor wanted (and still wants) to put me on depakote but the idea of more weight gain as well as the health problems associated with that drug scared me off. Last night (my first night off of trileptal), I spent the whole night urinating. I lost about 12 pounds. Evidently, the trileptal causes amazing and uncomfortable water retention. So far, I don't feel much effect from the topomax (except some tendency toward hypomania). But, I am only on 75 mg. I have my fingers crossed that this one will work as my life has been falling apart slowly for years and I can't stop it on my own any more but would really like to avoid depakote, lithium and some of the other, extreme medications.

mrnobody is offline New Member

I am happy to have found this forum. I began topomax 2 days ago after 4 months on trileptal. I had put on so much weight and was so uncomfortable on trileptal that I was very discouraged. I was taking the highest dose and it wasn't doing much for me. My doctor wanted (and still wants) to put me on depakote but the idea of more weight gain as well as the health problems associated with that drug scared me off. Last night (my first night off of trileptal), I spent the whole night urinating. I lost about 12 pounds. Evidently, the trileptal causes amazing and uncomfortable water retention. So far, I don't feel much effect from the topomax (except some tendency toward hypomania). But, I am only on 75 mg. I have my fingers crossed that this one will work as my life has been falling apart slowly for years and I can't stop it on my own any more but would really like to avoid depakote, lithium and some of the other, extreme medications.

jenna001 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lisa6073 View Post
    DOES ANYONE TAKE TOPAMAX FOR MANIC DEPRESSION? I WAS STARTED ON IT ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO AND LIKE IT ALOT. I LOST ABOUT 20 POUNDS FROM IT. I'VE BEEN HEAVY FOR YEARS AND THE WEIGHT LOSE MAKES ME FEEL GOOD. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS SLEEPING AT NIGHT. MY DR. GAVE ME SEROQUEL FOR THAT. THE TOPAMAX REALLY HELPS WITH THE HIGHS AND LOWS. MY DR. SAYS IT ISN'T PROVEN YET TO BE A BIPOLAR MEDICATION. BUT SAID WE COULD TRY IT. I'VE BEEN BIPOLAR FOR THE LAST 14 YEARS AND ON MANY DIFFERENT MEDS, THIS ONE SEEMS TO BE DOING THE BEST FOR ME.[:I]

TOPAMAX 25MG, SEROQUEL 25MG
    Hi I am taking topamax right now for bipolar and take 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night also for sleep "and" depression I take 150mg of trazadone. These 2 are a great combo.

allyp is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jenna001 View Post
    Hi I am taking topamax right now for bipolar and take 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night also for sleep "and" depression I take 150mg of trazadone. These 2 are a great combo.
    I have been taking topamax for about 5 weeks now and I love it. The only problem is that I still feel like I am still "missing" something for my depression. How is that trazadone working for you?

freeofswings is offline New Member

Red face

well i have been fitting my diagnosis of bipolar for 13 or 14yrs and i finally took a look at how unmanageable my life really is, how my imbalance of moods, mania-depression- being hyper- anger- aggression- etc. was hurting my loved ones, husband, children and self and i'm only 27. i have always thought I AM IN CONTROL OF MY MOODS I DONT NEED MEDICATION, finally topamax saved my life, my saving grace, my sanity, my marriage savior, it sounds corny but TOPAMAX MAKES ME NORMAL. my mood swings are gone, i am no longer a bipolar person but a person coping and living with bipolar, i have also lost 48lbs, but i did have get through the initial hard start of topamax, memory lost, numbness, tingling in my fingers and toes, even felt sedated in the beginning, excessive and uncontrollable sleepiness, I have been on the med now nine months and success after the first three months, one down fall which isn’t medically proven I now have raynods syndrome

michele1223 is offline New Member

I went through the same thing, I can control this, I don't need help, on and on. I have been on Topamax for about 6months or more. I just had the dosage doubled to 200mg at bedtime. It has made a huge difference for me as well. I have to balance it with Wellbutrin XL during the day for depression and 2 anxiety meds, but hey, together, I am a whole functioning member of society! I am a Mom and a wife and I have a great job. I have started to lose weight slowly with the increased dosage. Trileptal and Depakote just stopped working all at once when I took them. (not at the same time) Topamax rocks. The first month is rough for anyone who is just beginning....give it a bit. It gets better for alot of us. Really!!

freeofswings is offline New Member

i think i am on the highest dose of topamax, sometimes its a little scarey I take 300mg,

MADDER is offline New Member

Angry Sorry

sorry ..i don't know.
    I just needed to get talking to people. i'm so very low. i took about 40 zopiclone tabs the other night...(sleeping tabs) but i'm still here! i just want to go to sleep and never wake up..i want it to work,i'm just know good at life..it's been this way for years...please can any one help...i'm so lost

MedicallyChallenged is offline New Member

ok madder, I joined this thing because of you. I don't usually do this stuff but you message hit my heart. Not sure your age or even your gender so it isn't for that. I am a 40 year old female. Married and a mother of 4. That doesn't even touch what I have been through. I have been in your shoes and felt what you described. I have even tried to take my life at one point in my life. Luckily I didn't succeed. I hope I am not to late to reach you. If you get this I would love to talk to you so please hit me back when you can!! Sincerely, MedicallyChallenged)

MedicallyChallenged is offline New Member

For the rest of you, sorry I didn't know this went public. LOL. I thought it went to only that one person. For the reply to this post. Yes, I have taken Topomax for years. the good thing about it is that it treats lots of things for me. I am bipolar, over weight and suffer from migraines. Well you know what is next. ) My bipolar is treated now, migraines as well and I am losing weight. I am also ADHD so I take Adderall for that. For sleep I to take Seroquel, but only a small dose, unless I want to be out for a very long time. I also take Clonzapane forgive the spelling, for my anxiety. It is very sad that it takes all of this medication for me to be able to function in society, however, this is what it takes for me to be the person that I am. A loving friend, Wife, and Mother. If anyone ever needs to talk I am here. I am 40 years old as I have said before and have lived with this for years! It isn't as bad as others may seem to think it is. If I discontinue my meds...then yes, it is exactly what they say it is. Enjoy life to the fullest. It is a wonderful life! )
    CRONANDER61 likes this.

Shanon 67 is offline New Member

Thumbs up I Use Topamax...

Yes, I have been on Topamax for8 yrs now and it takes care of my mood swings ,anxiety amsd migraines,one of the best meds of ever been on,It also helps me sleep,Im also on Geodon for mood swings and Klonipin for anxiety so it takes a few to make me normal...I am Bi-Polar and ADHD so i'm taking the new Adderrall thats out called Vivance and its Great,I can honestly say this is as CLOSESt to normal my life has been in 20 years.....I think every med works on everyone different...And imy wish is that we all find our own and get to be HAPPPY....Love You All............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicallyChallenged View Post
    For the rest of you, sorry I didn't know this went public. LOL. I thought it went to only that one person. For the reply to this post. Yes, I have taken Topomax for years. the good thing about it is that it treats lots of things for me. I am bipolar, over weight and suffer from migraines. Well you know what is next. ) My bipolar is treated now, migraines as well and I am losing weight. I am also ADHD so I take Adderall for that. For sleep I to take Seroquel, but only a small dose, unless I want to be out for a very long time. I also take Clonzapane forgive the spelling, for my anxiety. It is very sad that it takes all of this medication for me to be able to function in society, however, this is what it takes for me to be the person that I am. A loving friend, Wife, and Mother. If anyone ever needs to talk I am here. I am 40 years old as I have said before and have lived with this for years! It isn't as bad as others may seem to think it is. If I discontinue my meds...then yes, it is exactly what they say it is. Enjoy life to the fullest. It is a wonderful life! )

davidhudson01 is offline New Member

Default Topamax for bipolar disorder

It suffers a lot of side effects. feeling in hands and feet, started suffering memory loss, headaches but it didn't help.

Bipolar Support Group

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marine79 View Post
    could you email me at xxxmarine79@aol.com I wanted to ask you something about topamax
    Hi Marine
    That thread is from 2004,I don't think lisa is around anymore.
    But you could ask your question and maybe someone could help you...
    Talk to you soon,Melinda

JadedInk is offline New Member

Default new to topamax

I went to a new psychiatrist today and he prescribed 50 mg for sleep. I occasionally suffer from migraines (1-2 a month) I was also diagnosed with diabetes recently. So the new DR thinks this is going to be the greatest medicine for me.

Anyone take it to sleep? Does it help? I also take 90 mg of Cymbalta and 1 mg of Klonopin at night. Maybe the combo will help.

KissMeImBipolar is offline New Member

Thumbs up Newbie here :)

Hi everyone,

I'm glad that I found this forum. I didn't know that Drugs.com had a forum. I always use this site for drug interactions as I've been on TONS of different meds for my Bipolar II/Depressive Disorder/GAD.

I AM REALLY glad to have found this post about Topamax.

I've been on Topamax now for a week. I started out on 25 mg. and now am on 50 mg.

Getting such POSITIVE feedback for once is soooooooooooooooo uplifting! Especially from those who have been on it for years. It's really disheartening when you search through the internet and find people talk about the drug as if it's the worst thing ever and then the horrid side effects...(like the acidosis or kidney stones)...but no one ever just talks about the simple side effects ...the ones that will eventually go away.

It's nice to hear the positiveness from this drug because it gives us hope. At least I know it does for me. I've been on several different meds for this disorder and although some have worked but I had side effects from them that could not be tolerated, or could cause long term damage, or some meds that just plain didn't work or I admit, some meds I just didn't stay on long enough to find out because I was a big baby and didn't muster through the side effects....it's just nice to hear GOOD things for once. You know?

I've recently had the feeling of "doom and gloom". Like nothing is ever going to work and that I'm never going to feel better. That I'm never going to feel happy again. Or smile once again. But honestly, these posts that I've read have given me a glimmer of some hope.

Thank you so much. I hope Topamax continues to work for you all with minimal or no side effects and I hope it does for me too.

Hugs,
    Chelbie

Ingodshands is offline New Member

Smile Topomax Beginner

Hello! I am glad I found this forum. I have just began taking Topomax for Bipolar. I was just diagnosed with this. I have heard so much good about this drug and then again I have heard bad. Hopefully it will work and be good. I have read about vision problems with this drug, Is this true? Does the problems seem to last or is just until your body adjusts? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to research some. It seems there is weight loss with this drug also, which that could be a good side effect for me. I am hoping and praying that everything works out and this actually helps me and I hope and pray it helps others also.

katdog777 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ingodshands View Post
    Hello! I am glad I found this forum. I have just began taking Topomax for Bipolar. I was just diagnosed with this. I have heard so much good about this drug and then again I have heard bad. Hopefully it will work and be good. I have read about vision problems with this drug, Is this true? Does the problems seem to last or is just until your body adjusts? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to research some. It seems there is weight loss with this drug also, which that could be a good side effect for me. I am hoping and praying that everything works out and this actually helps me and I hope and pray it helps others also.
    I have been diagnosed bipolar for 12 yrs and have taken EVBERYTHING! I have been on Topamax for 3 yrs now, 400 mg daily(started slow and raised up) and it has done wonders for me! Besides feeling "normal" I've lost over 100 lbs. Now don't expect to feel better really quickly, because whatever you were on has to get out of your system, but give it a chance. I was on 800 mgs Seroquel before and in terrible shape couldn't function at all! Good luck,
    Last edited by ddcmod; 08-29-2010 at 01:20 AM.

minnie1971 is offline New Member

Default Becoming stupid on Tomamax

I need to change meds. again for the 32nd time. I've never been on Topamax.
    One thing that scares me about this drug is the I've read that it makes you stupid. Words come out wrong and you can't remember how to form a sentence or how to even finish a sentence.
    It is known as stupamax and dumamax. Has anyone out there found this to be a problem?

Eh22 is offline New Member

Default Topomax success

I started topomax seven months ago after many unsuccessful mood stabilizers, 30 kilos of weight gain, and being sent home from hospital after unsuccessful ects, in a stupefied state on high doses of seroquel. It saved my life! After a couple of months of tingling in my hands and feet I have recovered from these side effects . I feel more normal than I have felt for years and finally able to socialize and function like a normal mum. I never had any problems with my thought processes and clarity of thinking at all even though I had been dreading these effects. Couldn't have been any worse than my seroquel experience but thankfully there was nothing. I am now on 100mg at night with 25mg seroquel for sleeping and 200mg pristiq for depression. In my understanding, topomax is used for the mood stabilizing properties only and an anti-depressant is required to treat the depression. This has been going along smoothly until I required a general anesthetic recently and my depression has worsened again. Although I'm not certain, I feel that it may have been the GA that has upset the apple cart this time but who knows for sure. My psychiatrist is away on holidays and now I don't know what to do as my depression worsens very rapidly and seriously. Psychiatric care is not great in my neck of the woods in the public system.

LillyLove is offline New Member

Red face Topamax day 2

I just started taking Topamax 50 mg a day every morning. So far, I've only taken one dose. Tomorrow will be my second dose. I've been OK, but felt very nauseous all day. I've been reading a lot about the drug, and most of the stuff I've heard is good stuff. Few people have had the bad side effects, like the hair loss and the inability to finish their sentences. I hope that is a rare side affect and doesn't happen to me. My question is, how long does this medicine take to work? I am bi-polar. I have not been on any meds in months due to a lack of insurance and stubbornness (I'm one of those "I don't need to be on pills for the rest of my life type of people" when I really do). Before I was on Prozac for years, but didn't really feel like it helped much. My mom told me she couldn't take me being so insane anymore and offered to take me to the DR and even pay for it if I promised to take the medicine prescribed. So I went and the DR prescribed Topamax and gave me a small dose of Xanax for my anxiety. I also suffer from severe insomnia and have been on Trazadone for a few years (100 mg 1-2 pills a night). Although I ran out of that prescription for the past few months as well. So for the first time in forever, I finally got my Trazadone and all my other prescriptions. It's a little after 2 am and you would think I would be in bed by now, considering I've slept maybe 6 hours in the last 5 days, but I'm so excited about this new medicine Topamax that I can't stop looking up stuff about it. I'm gonna get off soon and take my Trazadone because I do have to work in the morning. But my mind won't stop running a million miles a minute. How bad are the side effects of the Topamax and do they wear off after your body gets used to them? Also, I am a former drug addict, and occasionally slip up. I know how dangerous it is to mix drugs. What would happen if I took a Suboxone while on Topamax? What about alcohol with Topamax? Thank God I was smart enough to think about that before hand, because I usually take Suboxone but haven't ever since I started the Topamax. I don't think I really need the Suboxone anymore. Also, one more question, do you think I am able to live a normal life and work two jobs while I'm getting used to the Topamax? I recently became a certified yoga instructor and am supposed to start teaching classes soon, but I don't want to do it if I'm not 100% ready. I would hate to be in the middle of teaching a class (and people pay a lot of $ to take classes) and flip out or lose control or forgot what I'm saying. I'm just really nervous. Like I said, I'm always anxious anyways, so any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone.

kallaniscute is offline New Member

I am glad that I found this thread, it has been hard finding good experiences with Topamax as I find it is with any drug. I have had bipolar disorder for most of my life but but went undiagnosed until 10 years ago. I have been on and off meds since then. Lithium being the main mode of treatment, but resulted in over 100 lbs of weight gain and eventually putting me into congestive heart failure and I am only 34. I started Topamax 6 days ago, and have experienced the side effects such as the tiredness, the tingleing, but things are starting to balance out thankfully emotionally. Coming to this forum I was happy to learn that I wasn't crazy and that the medication made soda pop taste horrible, as I used to drink a lot of Coke and Pepsi. I have also notice the decreace in appetite and attraction to food. I am hoping that the weight will come off fast. Well all the the best to you who have commented in the past, thanks for your opinions.

samuel50 is offline New Member

I had seen using seroquel which has given good result. But different medicines vary on different body condition.

beenthere123 is offline New Member

Before I start, I want you to know that everyone is different & people respond to medication differently.

Here is my experience with TOPOMAX I was on it for over 4 years. I was told that I had bi-polar by
    a pretty well known psyc. he also diagnosed my husband with it & one of my children. At the time,
    our marriage had been shaky for quite a while. My husband was pretty sure that it was me, so that's why we went. I thought it was odd that all 3 of us were diagnosed. and then:

I was at a baby shower about 2 years later & was chatting with a girl there & found out she had
    the same psyc I did & he had diagnosed her with bipolar too, which she later found out she did not have.
    We were all prescribed TOPOMAX. This all happened about 1998. I am pretty sure this DR was getting kick backs from the drug company . For me, this drug "worked" for maybe a year & then I went "STUPID" My speech changed & words came out wrong. I couldn't complete some sentences and of course I lost weight, food had no taste anymore. I didn't have an appetite.

My family members who were no longer taking TOPOMAX, just thought I was getting crazier, & my husband
    insisted that I take more of the med. I did & things got really, really bad. My husband has ADD & was on other stuff like ADDERALL & WELLBUTRIN & that was helping him. The increase in TOPO was the worse thing
    ever, it backfired & put me into a manic state which I had never had before. Long story short, my 21 year marriage blew up. The marriage had trouble working for a time but this kicked it over the top & made it easy for my ex to say she is the reason, look how bad she is acting, she's got bi-polar. He insisted that I take MORE TOPO. I refused. I now weighed 100 lbs at 5'4" I couldn't think straight & my words came out weird & I couldn't think a thought all the way through. Really bad. I stopped taking this drug. I went through withdrawals that were unbearable and they lasted daily for over 6 months.

After a very high profile, torrid divorce, I sought another psyc for this situational depression & was tested & told that I was NOT bi-polar. I was very mad at the 1st Dr and his mis-diagnosis for $$. Shortly after this, I saw big glossy ads in People & other main stream magazines that advertised TOPOMAX for migraines. At the bottom of the ad in small print, it stated that research had not been done or confirmed that this drug would stop migraines. I tore that article out & kept it for years. I was shocked & it was scary to see this written. It was the worse experience in my life to have taken this drug long term. After the divorce, I was prescribed anti-depression meds, which helped me through. (the divorce) I did find out that you just don't stop taking any drug cold turkey. I do think that TOPOMAX had a "drug build-up" in me after so many years. Thank you for letting me share my story & I wish all on this thread well. And pray that no one has to go through what I did on TOPOMAX .

angeleyes7 is offline New Member

I was diagnosed as Bipolar Sept. 2012. Put on Seroquel and Buspar for anxiety. Now, I'm also epileptic and have been taking Topamax since about 1997-1998 as well as Lamictal and Tegretal. Fascinates me that people with Bipolar take just 1 of those 3 and feel brand new. My neurologist (new as of last year) explained to me that Topamax is one of the worst for messing with your memory and thought process. I've got severe memory issues. We did try cutting my dosage back but I started having break thru seizures so that was a bust plus my memory didn't improve. Just for anyone who is experiencing memory problems and are on a higher dosage of Topamax there is your answer. I was on 150, the 100, the 50 now back up to 100. My Pdoc said if I hadn't been on all my seizure meds I would have been in really bad trouble. Even in the smallest way they helped. Couldn't tell by me.

auntieursula is offline New Member

I have been on topamax for about 2 months now, and I really don't see any immediate difference. They weened me off of celexa when I started having hypomania and started me on topamax. I still feel really depressed at times while being on this medicine. I am on 75 mil. right now with no antidepressant. It doesn't make me tired, I just get an occasional stuttering problem when I get nervous, I have noticed. I have been on lithium in the past, but lithium made me so care free, I would miss work and not pay bills. I had to move in with my mom to get things under control when I was on it. But now I feel so depressed from time to time. My husband thinks this medicine is not working for me. And sometimes I am not even sure it is working. The good thing is I have been relatively migraine free since taking this medicine. As for the weight loss, I haven't even been paying attention. I eat less, but I don't think I've lost anything. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should suggest to my doc? I'm at a loss here and almost ready to give up on medications altogether (again).