Temazepam
    rockermom51 is offline Junior Member

Default Temazepam

Hi,
    I recently began taking temazepam for anxiety and to help me sleep at night. It seems to be helping me greatly for anxiety, but the side effects seem to be pretty big. I feel dizzy, sedated for a long period of time and then at bedtime, I can't get to sleep.

I also began Effexor, which I read can cause insomnia. Any suggestions about the temazepam? I prefer clonazepam, but because I'm a recovering addict, my doctor is hesitant to prescribe it for me.

thanks,
    sheryl

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockermom51 View Post
    Hi,
    I recently began taking temazepam for anxiety and to help me sleep at night. It seems to be helping me greatly for anxiety, but the side effects seem to be pretty big. I feel dizzy, sedated for a long period of time and then at bedtime, I can't get to sleep.

I also began Effexor, which I read can cause insomnia. Any suggestions about the temazepam? I prefer clonazepam, but because I'm a recovering addict, my doctor is hesitant to prescribe it for me.

thanks,
    sheryl
    Try dalmane (2hrs before sleep only) and discontinue the Restoril (temazepam). DO NOT take them together. Dalmane has an extremely long half-life and will likely control your daytime anxiety as well as its primary use, for sleep.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 05-21-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    Peter

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Temazepam is an OLD benzo used primarily for sleep, not for anxiety. If you use it take for sleep only. Can hardly believe a dr would RX it for anxiety with all the other meds available. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Businessman1 is offline Member

What country do you live in? I know it's still used in some countries more than the US. If you're doc is worried about you being an addict then I'm not sure it's much better than any other benzo.

If you're in the US then Ambien is often the first option for sleep. Outside the US it's often called Stilnox. It's addictive but I'm never tempted to take it during the day.

I have a lot of trouble sleeping too. You could also ask for a shorter acting benzo like Xanax for bedtime so you'll find it easier waking up.

If you're dizzy, I think you're dose may be too high. Try breaking it in half. Have the other half before you sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Businessman1 View Post
    What country do you live in? I know it's still used in some countries more than the US. If you're doc is worried about you being an addict then I'm not sure it's much better than any other benzo.

If you're in the US then Ambien is often the first option for sleep. Outside the US it's often called Stilnox. It's addictive but I'm never tempted to take it during the day.

I have a lot of trouble sleeping too. You could also ask for a shorter acting benzo like Xanax for bedtime so you'll find it easier waking up.

If you're dizzy, I think you're dose may be too high. Try breaking it in half. Have the other half before you sleep.

Ambien is a drug about which I have great reservations. First, It alters sleep architecture negatively, reducing the quality of the sleep. Second, it (esp. in a former addict) can be extremely habit forming.

As for short acting benzos such as Ativan or Xanax, a former addict would have much more trouble with those drugs than a long acting one, I particularly like Dalmane for sleep in this situation, because of its long effect.
    Peter

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Hi,

thanks,
    sheryl
    In recovery, I would stay miles away from any benzodiazepene, as it is inviting a needless problem. Short-acting or long-acting, the nature of these drugs lends themselves to physical dependency in very short order. Psychological dependency is equally common - even more so in a person with a history of addiction.

With benzos, even taken exactly as prescribed, dependency occurs, and withdrawal is extremely difficult.

For sleep, I suggest trazodone - it is NOT addictive. In fact, it was originally intended as an anti-depressant, but was soon found to be much more helpful as a sleep aid. There is no drowsy after-effect, and no danger of addiction.

We commonly use trazodone with our clients in the long-term substance abuse treatment program where I work - it's that safe!

God bless,
    Ruth

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Ruth ..... not sure if you're aware of it but a side effect in some patients taking trazodone is producing a blood clot. It happened to me so I know it's a fact. Doesn't happen often but trazodone is not without its potential dangers as well. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thank you for the feedback. I am in the US, I have been on ambien and I'm one of those people who get up during the night and sleepwalk, drive my car, etc, and not have any memory of it the next day. Very dangerous drug for me.

Never heard of dalmane, I will check that one out. And because of my addictive past, I have trouble finding a doc who will put me on xanax, even though I never abused it. I used to take a longer active xanax XR, 1 mg tablet. It was very long lasting and it did not produce the downer affect. Never became addicted to it.

As I said before the only times I abused benzos was after a weeklong run on crystal meth and cocaine and I would need a xanbar to help me come down. I don't do that stuff anymore.

thanks again!
    sheryl

mcsnorkyhead is offline New Member

Default Use of Xanax and Temazepam for sleep

I have a prescription for Temazepam for sleep (1-2 15mg), and another for Xanax (0.5 mg), for daytime anxiety -- I take neither regularly, as I'm cognizant of avoiding any shelf-life effects.. especially with the Temazepam, as I do get some undesired lingering daytime effects on occasions when I have used it just a few days in a row, or in the same week. It's perhaps a greater than 50% of days ratio that becomes tricky for me, so I only allot myself 2 or 3 Temazepams per week to use as and if needed. I consider them a last resort, preferring to use the Xanax for sleeping instead.

I know Xanax is troublesome for some, but there have been studies indicating the ability of some persons to take it on a long term basis without incident. I seem to fall into the latter group, having had it on my roster for some 8 or 9 years now, with no need for increase in dosage and no need for continuous usage. I take my little half milligram probably 4 or 5 times a week, and sometimes to sleep; only using the Temazepam when I know I will have increased insomnia symptoms (such as during a 2-3 day period starting right before my menses) or other real difficulty sleeping.

Just one person's experience, but it's been gladly successful for me, hence I am compelled to share. I'd personally recommend Xanax for sleeping if you're someone who is less likely to acclimate addictively (or, alternately, more likely to notice early and adjust for any addictive relationship with a drug), and more hesitantly I would recommend Temazepam with a caveat similar but more stringent with regard to addiction issues, and the further caveat of it being far safer to use only intermittently, in my opinion.

Best,
    Mc.

For the most part, I agree with Ruth.

Trazodone (or Remeron too, I say) are great NON-habit forming meds for INCREASING the quality (and quantity) of sleep.

Stay clear FOR SURE of the short acting benzos, they just lead to inter-dose withdrawal, and dose escalation.

Dalmane? I don't know, it has abuse potential. Not very high, but it's there. It has a really long half life and is SUPER slow acting, (you probably won't get high from a prescribed dose of 15-30mg) (PROBABLY!)

Just be really careful with Dalmane (it's for sleep only), if you see yourself misusing the drug, or increasing the dose, call the doctor in the morning and explain exactly what's happening.

Anyway, good luck, it sounds like you've got a doctor who knows you. And you sound like you know yourself pretty well, too.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 05-25-2010 at 01:22 PM.
    Peter

Default dalmane

Peter I have a question for you. Since dalmane is primarily used for sleep, is it a hypnotic drug like ambien? Since I get up in my sleep after taking ambien and do things I don't remember, will dalmane do the same thing to me? I've done some really scary things on ambien. Once I took 10mg tab of ambien, went to sleep but got up during the night and unknowingly tood 17 more tablets. I was in a sleepwalk state for 48 hours. My roommate at that time, was concerned and almost called an ambulance. I don't use ambienor lunesta at all anymore.

As for trazedone, i start to feel drunk followed by a feeling of panic. Last week the doc gave me a script for respirdal, and I have too much of a next morning hangover, plus people tell me it's a weight gainer and gaining weight increases my depression. There has to be something out there that will work for me. Especially the anxiety, since I have a teenage daughter popping bars and drinking and most of the time I don't know where she is.

All I want back is my life and my daughter and just because I'm an addict, these mhmr doctors won't treat me properly for anxiety. I'm going to find another doctor soon.

But as far as temazepam, I take a 30mg capsule early in the day and it does help with my anxiety. As for sleep, I pretty much wake up hourly. It SUCKS.

Thanks Peter and everyone else, there is some awesome knowledge on this site!

Have a wonder day everyone,
    sheryl

Peter I have a question for you. Since dalmane is primarily used for sleep, is it a hypnotic drug like ambien? Since I get up in my sleep after taking ambien and do things I don't remember, will dalmane do the same thing to me? I've done some really scary things on ambien. Once I took 10mg tab of ambien, went to sleep but got up during the night and unknowingly tood 17 more tablets. I was in a sleepwalk state for 48 hours. My roommate at that time, was concerned and almost called an ambulance. I don't use ambienor lunesta at all anymore.

As for trazedone, i start to feel drunk followed by a feeling of panic. Last week the doc gave me a script for respirdal, and I have too much of a next morning hangover, plus people tell me it's a weight gainer and gaining weight increases my depression. There has to be something out there that will work for me. Especially the anxiety, since I have a teenage daughter popping bars and drinking and most of the time I don't know where she is.

All I want back is my life and my daughter and just because I'm an addict, these mhmr doctors won't treat me properly for anxiety. I'm going to find another doctor soon.

But as far as temazepam, I take a 30mg capsule early in the day and it does help with my anxiety. As for sleep, I pretty much wake up hourly. It SUCKS.

Thanks Peter and everyone else, there is some awesome knowledge on this site!

Have a wonder day everyone,
    sheryl
    Dalmane is quite similar to Restoril except that it is much longer acting; it is meant only as a sleep medicine about 1-3 hrs before bedtime.

Make sure your daughter does not gain access to your prescription, let her know you have it and/or what it is.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-26-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    Peter

CORRECTION:

Make sure your daughter does not gain access to your prescription, DO NOT let her know you have it and/or what it is.

PS: Do not take temazepam and Dalmane within 4 days of each other. More specifically, do not use temazepam before you have been off of Dalmane for at least 4 days. But why even take temazepam, you say it doesn't work!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-26-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    Peter

Thumbs up

Also this site has complete info about Dalmane: http://www.drugs.com/cdi/dalmane.html

I wish you good sleeping!
    Peter