Substitute for Oxycontin
    Tcow is offline New Member

Default Substitute for Oxycontin

It's been a while since I have been here, (So long I forgot my login info!) but this was the first place that came to mind when I ran into my most recent trouble. I have multiple injuries in to my lower back, and for a long time I have been taking Norco (10/325 x2 - 4 or 5 times daily) Recently my doctor changed me to Oxycontin (60mg x1 every 6 hours) It has worked really well, and without making me too loopy to function. In fact, after a couple days, I don't notice anything but the wonderful reduction in pain. The problem came today when I went to fill my prescription, and apparently my insurance finally ran out. Without insurance, just filling half of my prescription would have been $660. Even if I were NOT out of work, this would not be possible. What I am wondering, is if anyone could give me some ideas for something that would be as effective as the 60mg Oxy, but has a generic available. I will be seeing my doctor later this week, and would like to have a few Ideas to present to her. Thank you in advance for any replies.

-Cow

Cats Meow is offline Banned

There is generic Oxycontin available now, but not in a 60, only a 10, 20, 40 and 80 made by Mallinckrodt, but it probably is still out of your price range. Your best bet is to talk to your Doc, oxy IR is reasonable, so is morphine and MS Contin. You can check an on-line pharm like drugstore.com for pricing.

Can you continue your insurance through COBRA, you should be able to self pay for 6 months.

Tcow is offline New Member

Default Here's Hopin'

Thanks Meow, Talked to my doc about it, and I am going to pick up a scrip for MS Contin to try tomorrow. She had not finished it yet when she called, so I don't know the dose yet, but given the difference in strength, (I looked it up after reading your reply), I'm hoping she wrote for the 100mg so it is at least close to what I'm used to. I will post my results after a couple days. Thanks again for the info.